Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Derek @ VCG is a flat out MAGA fuckwit, so thats a hard no for anything he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Derek @ VCG is a flat out MAGA fuckwit, so thats a hard no for anything he's in.

While I don’t doubt it, what was the tell?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Scratch Monkey posted:

While I don’t doubt it, what was the tell?

Assuming that wasn't sarcastic, I really can't tell on the internet anymore, it is pretty easy to tell just by watching his vids for a while. I don't follow his social, no Insta, Twitter, etc just YouTube, so I don't know what he really puts out there, if anything at all. But just from his vids, he will buy poo poo because it was made in America, has American flags on it, paints his poo poo red white and blue whenever possible, most of his merch has red/white/blue somehow somewhere and you just kind of get the feel like that is a little more important than it should be. Like I said, I just put it aside and watch him check on the spark-o-lators and try to forget we probably don't align on much politically, that's not why I'm there. I just wanna see an old truck with flat tires go vroom vroom again and he's pretty good at it and sometimes I learn a little something that I will probably never have practical use for but hey maybe someday.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Thin blue line wedding ring.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
While I think nationalism is as gross as anyone it's really terrible that you honestly can assume that anyone prominently displaying an American flag on anything is a chud or an idiot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Plenty of background MAGA / Trump poo poo and that 1776 Independance Chevelle is biiiiig foghorn

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Imagined posted:

While I think nationalism is as gross as anyone it's really terrible that you honestly can assume that anyone prominently displaying an American flag on anything is a chud or an idiot.

I don't watch VGG on the reg, but there's a pretty big gulf between hanging a flag like a normal person and plastering it everywhere. At least Cleetus has a whole bit along with it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I don't watch VGG on the reg, but there's a pretty big gulf between hanging a flag like a normal person and plastering it everywhere. At least Cleetus has a whole bit along with it.

Cleetus is a pure fictional character that does a lot of mocking / playing up of redneck stereotypes. Garrett is a guy who runs a race team, owns a race track and half a dozen businesses catering to racing with a youtube and mechandise front end who knows that they need to do some flag waving because of their audience.

He's still an idiot considering the BS he did in relation to Covid however.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Why I stay away from most car related youtubes. I like Mr. Regular, but I'm a little concerned that he has some secret chud down inside. Can't watch AvE anymore, because he's a terrible chud. They all end up being chuds. Except James May - he's cool but he's also mostly doing food these days.

Oh, and nutmeg daddy. Don't you dare take away my sweet and pure Townsends.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why I stay away from most car related youtubes. I like Mr. Regular, but I'm a little concerned that he has some secret chud down inside.

Mr regular admitted to being a incel type before wising up to how poo poo that was years ago (he discussed at on one of his podcasts). Present day Mr Regular is very much not a chud and on the Matt Farrar spectrum of the car Yoooootoooobe political scape

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The MCM guys and their buddies Benny and Al seem like decent people, but likely CAT INTERCEPTOR is just waiting to drop the deets about how they are all card-carrying members of the Royal Australian Society For The Wanton Murder of Cute Wallabies or something. They're about the only car people I watch anymore besides Hoonigan and Chrisfix. I stopped watching RCR when during an episode where moments after thinking to myself that he had really gotten up his own butt about shoehorning lit crit into videos about 80s shitboxes he literally started talking about putting stuff up his own butt. Which, like, you do you but (butt!) that was a little too on the nose.

AvE was already kinda getting chuddy before he revealed his ~brilliant covid beating invention~ of a welding oxygen bottle connected to a regulator and a manifold, as if every hospital room in an industrial country doesn't already have an oxygen line or two. That was disappointing but not entirely unexpected. ElectroBOOM and Clickspring are nice stand in for goofing around with electricity and machining stuff, respectively.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

The MCM guys and their buddies Benny and Al seem like decent people, but likely CAT INTERCEPTOR is just waiting to drop the deets about how they are all card-carrying members of the Royal Australian Society For The Wanton Murder of Cute Wallabies or something.

No real secret I know Marty and Benny and they are both good people. Those three channels are run by good people

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
ive been watching superfastmatt from time to time lately. i hope he doesnt suck, cause his content seems pretty good!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As long as politics aren't part of the channel, I can handle most Youtubers if they're at least funny, or funny looking.

Same reason I can tolerate my mother... we don't beat each other over the head with politics. She's a MAGA fuckhead, I'm the opposite fuckhead. We don't discuss politics (when she does, I shut that poo poo down real fast, just like if I start going political, she shuts me down equally fast).

I like VGG, I like RCR, I even like a little bit of Hoovie and his toy Wizard now and then (Tavarish is just annoying, Ed is downright repulsive). Most of the time I'm just using Youtube as background noise to fall asleep to anyway. I fast forward through a lot of VGG, I just wanna see poo poo come alive or fail in laughable ways. He's kind of like a one man Roadkill in a lot of ways.

I know South Main Auto gets a ton of hate these days; I still watch him occasionally just to learn some troubleshooting. I know he's a chud, but he's knowledgeable and drops some good knowledge now and then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No real secret I know Marty and Benny and they are both good people. Those three channels are run by good people

Marty seems like good people, I would love to have a few drinks with him and Blair. And maybe ride in one of their creations (before the drinks).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 29, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's weird how 90% of youtubers are massive MAGA fuckheads, starting to think get-rich-quick schemes that only work for a tiny randomly lucky minority is a tell

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Raluek posted:

ive been watching superfastmatt from time to time lately. i hope he doesnt suck, cause his content seems pretty good!

I think you're good but it would be pretty loving funny if he turned out to be some radical nazi fuckhead. Expect the unexpected and all that :v:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

STR posted:

As long as politics aren't part of the channel, I can handle most Youtubers if they're at least funny, or funny looking.

Same reason I can tolerate my mother... we don't beat each other over the head with politics. She's a MAGA fuckhead, I'm the opposite fuckhead. We don't discuss politics (when she does, I shut that poo poo down real fast, just like if I start going political, she shuts me down equally fast).

I like VGG, I like RCR, I even like a little bit of Hoovie and his toy Wizard now and then (Tavarish is just annoying, Ed is downright repulsive). Most of the time I'm just using Youtube as background noise to fall asleep to anyway. I fast forward through a lot of VGG, I just wanna see poo poo come alive or fail in laughable ways. He's kind of like a one man Roadkill in a lot of ways.

I know South Main Auto gets a ton of hate these days; I still watch him occasionally just to learn some troubleshooting. I know he's a chud, but he's knowledgeable and drops some good knowledge now and then.

Marty seems like good people, I would love to have a few drinks with him and Blair. And maybe ride in one of their creations (before the drinks).

The people you're closest to should be people who you can't talk to.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Derek from VGG had a youtube community post making a big deal out of dropping pit viper sunglasses as a sponsor after pit viper decided they didn't want to sell stuff to nazis.
The comments on it sure were something.
Haven't watched any of his videos since.

Junkyard digs seems cool? If you need a fix of something found in a field let's get it running/driving.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't even want to guess about whistlindiesel.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Derek from VGG had a youtube community post making a big deal out of dropping pit viper sunglasses as a sponsor after pit viper decided they didn't want to sell stuff to nazis.

:lol: imagine this being the hill you want to die on

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Uncle Tony decided to rant about NYC last week including a bit on how the government will give you needles and somewhere to inject your drugs, you know the usual uninformed boomer bullshit about safe injection sites since those drat junkies should all get diseases from needle reuse, leave the used ones around the place and also inject alone in a 7/11 bathroom and OD.

It is funny to what him talk poo poo about “the tv guys” because he is clearly not welcome in the group of YouTubers who do a bunch of stuff together as he is such a poo poo head.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

bennyfactor posted:

AvE was already kinda getting chuddy before he revealed his ~brilliant covid beating invention~ of a welding oxygen bottle connected to a regulator and a manifold, as if every hospital room in an industrial country doesn't already have an oxygen line or two. That was disappointing but not entirely unexpected. ElectroBOOM and Clickspring are nice stand in for goofing around with electricity and machining stuff, respectively.
ThisOldTony and Abom79 are just as good as Clickspring, although TOT leans way more into the humour, while still being informative and Abom is just a down to earth guy who's super passionate about machining but explains everything. Keith Rucker is also really good. All three leave anything remotely political at the door and just love to make chips.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
While he does work for Cleetus and VGG, the KSR channel seems fine. It's just wrenching, tuning, racing, and sometimes a shop update.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's not cars, but it is mechanical - Wristwatch Revival is great for background noise and watching someone service an old, complex watch movement.

The downside is you might want to spend money on watches, but lets be honest, it's not worse than cars.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If you like wristwatch revival, check out the watch repair channel. Less of a vibe, but he guy is much more technically capable/daring. There’s 1 video where he mills a new pivot for a balance wheel.

Also Aging Wheels is good content and you’ll know in a couple minutes if you can stand his style.
I Do Cars is also a ton of fun.

Also, do not get into watches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m986siwzefs

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have no interest in fancy watches, I used to enjoy buying cheap Swatch/Shark/retro style watches on eBay to wear but now with my Apple Watch I use it way too much for work to go back but…

I’ve watched many hours in a row of totally trashed Rolex and Omega watches being restored while nursing a hangover

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As a mechanical guy I totally appreciate and admire mechanical watches, but for practicality and actually using one, give me a solar powered quartz that synchs with Colorado.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Old watches are beautiful mechanical devices that were assembled by wizards.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

As a mechanical guy I totally appreciate and admire mechanical watches, but for practicality and actually using one, give me a solar powered quartz that synchs with Colorado.

I've had a Casio Pathfinder for........... close to 15 years? Figured I'd have to replace the rechargable battery at some point, but still going strong.

The original (and discontinued) band on the other hand, not so much.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bigbillystyle posted:

Even though basically all his videos are the same, I still watch way too many of them. I should preface by saying I was recently laid up after a hip replacement surgery so I was basically out of stuff to watch after a while and ended up watching a shitload of VGG but I really don't know why. I prefer the vids where they end in a road trip of whatever vehicle it is x-hundred miles but even those are the same. 20 min walkaround the car. 20 min throw in a batt, throw fuel down the carb, test for spark, let it idle. 20 min of a 2x speed drive through western Kentucky with 2 to 3 beef jerky and/or oh no she's overheating again stops. Repeat.

The "folksy-ness" does wear on you after a few hundred hours that is for sure but I don't know, I guess it's just nice to have on the background sometimes?

And also pulling a Derek and just kind of saying...we'll just pretend we didn't see that.

I burned through a ton of them too in a similar fashion. I didn't have anything to work on, I was a little depressed just at home and woosh forty videos had gone past.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a Kenneth Cole skeleton watch for $75 probably about 7 years ago now. I look at it and think "yea I don't need a $500 watch" as the gears move around capturing my full attention until the boss asks why I stopped talking in the middle of my PowerPoint presentation.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Teslaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://twitter.com/ToastyDecline/status/1542040120878055425?s=20&t=mbLMP3qw6M7hYTQMATqYGQ

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imagined posted:

I really hate that this is my knee jerk reaction due to recent events. I don’t *want* to suspect someone displaying patriotism of assholism, but here we are.
That said, I fly my flag on designated flag days because I want to be the one person doing it because I want the country to be better.
Note that I don’t fly it every day, higher and larger than anyone else, and I don’t have one on my car/truck/UTV. Or even have a truck or UTV currently.

Raluek posted:

I like superfastmatt. Hope he doesn’t turn out to be crap.
Please don’t tell me ThisOldTony is a child. I couldn’t take it.

Jonny Nox posted:

If you like wristwatch revival, check out the watch repair channel. Less of a vibe, but he guy is much more technically capable/daring. There’s 1 video where he mills a new pivot for a balance wheel.

Also Aging Wheels is good content and you’ll know in a couple minutes if you can stand his style.
I Do Cars is also a ton of fun.

Also, do not get into watches:

Seconding Aging Wheels and I Do Cars. It’s fun watching IDC tear down broken engines.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
superfastmatt is good but he’s a well paid engineer of some sort of lives in the nice part of LA so he probably sucks somehow

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
according to goons, it turns out that everyone that isn't yourself sucks, and even then it might be that everyone sucks

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Well I suck which means everyone sucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Imagined posted:

I give a single flag a pass, but if you're displaying more than one I operate on the assumption that you are a full throttle idiot and deserve contempt.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What about a US flag and a LGBT pride flag?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I mean national flags. Although if you have more than 3 of any flag it's probably some sort of diagnosable mental illness.

So says Dr. Slidebite :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Put up a bunch of flags you get from parts suppliers when you spend too much money with them. Have to salute Summit, Jegs and Speedway.