Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What's good for head tracking that isn't IR based? I've got a Grass Monkey puck with a PS3 IR camera thingy, but right now it's summer and my office is getting enough sun exposure to make it unusable during like 80% of the daylight hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SmoothTrack works surprisingly well - it uses the depth camera on your iPhone for face tracking and then passes the positional info to OpenTrack.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bedurndurn posted:

What's good for head tracking that isn't IR based? I've got a Grass Monkey puck with a PS3 IR camera thingy, but right now it's summer and my office is getting enough sun exposure to make it unusable during like 80% of the daylight hours.

If you're not playing something like DCS or IL-2 then FaceTrackNoIR works pretty well using a webcam or your phone's camera. It just has a bit too much lag for combat sims.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Teeter posted:

I'm looking to upgrade an old Ikea office chair to something much nicer and would love to incorporate my flight gear if possible. I know the gold standard for office work seems to be Herman Miller Aeron but the DIY conversions for mounting a HOTAS to it don't seem to be ideal for what I'm looking for. I'd take a slight hit to the chair itself if it meant I'd have an easier time getting my gear on/off easier.

Considerations:
  • I WFH so the chair itself needs to be comfortable and high quality.
  • Throttle mount is important. Stick mount options are a nice bonus but not as important since I already have a desk mount for that.
  • Because of WFH, I'd like an easy conversion between work/game modes. It currently takes 15 seconds to get my stick from closet and mounted to my desk, I'd love similar ease for attaching my throttle to chair.
  • I'm looking for my best options, not the cheapest or most affordable.

I've been looking at this Monstertech which gets surprisingly good feedback from an office worker's perspective. Anyone have experience with this one? Anyone have other suggestions?

https://www.monstertechusa.com/product/flight-chair-mfc-5-night-falcon/

That looks like a nice chair, shame on the terrible color though, but what's the huge gap in the center? I guess you can have a flight stick mounted there or if you have a huge cock you an swing it under the seat or something.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

there’s literally a picture that shows you what it’s for

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

You put your balls in there

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

sigher posted:

That looks like a nice chair, shame on the terrible color though, but what's the huge gap in the center? I guess you can have a flight stick mounted there or if you have a huge cock you an swing it under the seat or something.

200mm extensions.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Kalman posted:

SmoothTrack works surprisingly well - it uses the depth camera on your iPhone for face tracking and then passes the positional info to OpenTrack.

Seconding this. It's like a $10 app and is pretty easy to set up. I got a cheap phone stand from Amazon, put my old iPhone on it, and launch the app. I'd say it's worth trying this before spending money on anything fancier.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bought some Thrustmaster pedals for a hundred bucks and they seem to stick to my hardwood floor pretty well, the bigger issue is my chair wanting to move more than anything. Steering and braking with pedals sure takes some getting used to, and I don't know how you'd use them in the air for turn co-ordination when there's no inertial feedback. The twist axis in my T16000 (?) stick is flickering and misfiring to an unusable degree after just one year though, so I had to replace it with something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For wheeled chairs, I just find the position I'd like my chair to be in, and then roll up a towel lengthwise and brace it in an arc around the rearmost wheels on the chair. Seems to provide enough of a "speedbump" and friction that the chair movement is minimal at that point.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I got some of those things you put on wheeled bed frames to keep them from rolling (they look like drink coasters) , and they work great for my chair.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FPS_Sage posted:

Seconding this. It's like a $10 app and is pretty easy to set up. I got a cheap phone stand from Amazon, put my old iPhone on it, and launch the app. I'd say it's worth trying this before spending money on anything fancier.

Maybe it works better with the modern iPhones that have the fancy 3D face tracking, but I tried it with my iPhone 7 and there was noticeable lag and less accuracy compared to DelanClip. So the only thing it made me do was dig up my DelanClip from storage and set it up again.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm getting back into flight sims since I finally found a GPU at a reasonable price. Is there a way to buy the MSFS deluxe addition add ons as a bundle or individually without purchasing the game? I have GamePass for another 2+ years and don't really care about owning the game itself. I really just want a nice B58 and didn't see any in the in-game market outside of the bundled one and don't really feel like paying $70 or whatever

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Sapozhnik posted:

Bought some Thrustmaster pedals for a hundred bucks and they seem to stick to my hardwood floor pretty well, the bigger issue is my chair wanting to move more than anything. Steering and braking with pedals sure takes some getting used to, and I don't know how you'd use them in the air for turn co-ordination when there's no inertial feedback. The twist axis in my T16000 (?) stick is flickering and misfiring to an unusable degree after just one year though, so I had to replace it with something.

Literally what the turn/slip indicator does for you. Put the ball in the center with rudder as you turn.

Also, get some contact cleaner and you can open up the joystick to clean the center pot. I have done it before and actually will literally be doing it again soon. It is a biannual thing. There is a good video of a guy doing a breakdown. It isn’t fun but it isn’t terribly difficult.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm getting back into flight sims since I finally found a GPU at a reasonable price. Is there a way to buy the MSFS deluxe addition add ons as a bundle or individually without purchasing the game? I have GamePass for another 2+ years and don't really care about owning the game itself. I really just want a nice B58 and didn't see any in the in-game market outside of the bundled one and don't really feel like paying $70 or whatever

The only way is to pay full price. Do not buy anything in the game pass version. Paying for the premium or deluxe content does not give you a license for the game, even though you are paying the same price as if you were buying the full game. So you're paying 80 dollars, but you still have to subscribe to game pass to use it.

It is currently on sale on steam though I think.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks, that's lame. I guess I will wait for a a new third party one

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'd say get the Carenado Seneca V since Seneca Vs are awesome, but, lol, that particular one is... not.

Maybe wait until the Flysimware 414 is out of beta. I mean, as-is, it's probably better than the Carenado Seneca since they appear to be beta-testing it rather than just saying "it looks okay, ship now!"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Milviz 310 is also acceptable although its instruments are a bit rudimentary

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sapozhnik posted:

The Milviz 310 is also acceptable although its instruments are a bit rudimentary

Good shout.

I think we also deserve a Beechcraft Duke, the most beautiful plane I would absolutely never want to own in real life, ever. It's really the ideal plane for flight simulation because it's aesthetically pleasing, very capable, but most importantly you don't have to pay to maintain it.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I have the Milviz 310 and I cannot recommend it enough.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
FYI for those who are wondering about the T16000m I just took apart the throttle and cleaned the rocker pot with some contact cleaner and it was super easy. I also put some petroleum jelly on my penis the throttle rails to help ease the “stickiness”. Feels great, better than new.

I also did the stick twist pot. It is more annoying only because of the pin in the trigger, but doable.

Again: it is an economy stick, worth its price despite build quality issues, but maintenance isn’t so bad.

My combo is now 5 years old for reference.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My Warthog throttles died, and Thrustmaster support is being spectacularly crap.

They keep demanding increasingly obscure proof the stupid thing is actually dead, so I assume their plan is to just piss me off enough that I give up and buy a replacement

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

azflyboy posted:

My Warthog throttles died, and Thrustmaster support is being spectacularly crap.

They keep demanding increasingly obscure proof the stupid thing is actually dead, so I assume their plan is to just piss me off enough that I give up and buy a replacement

Could you not go into like Windows joystick config things where it shows you the buttons / axes and lights them up when you push them and video the buttons pushing but it not axis-ing?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've basically done that already, and despite attaching a bunch of screenshots of various Windows diagnostics showing that the throttle failed in such a way Windows no longer detects it as any kind of input device (the joystick shows up just fine) Thrustmaster keeps wanting more and more documentation of their "bootloader" procedure, which does absolutely nothing, since it relies on the throttle being detected to do anything.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 1, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whoever recommended the Milviz C310, that was a good shout. Very excellent plane, can't recommend it enough based on the few flights I've done. That being said it's led me to one very simple conclusion:

Man the Carenado Seneca is trash. Tried going back to that one, because I'm more used to the performance of a Seneca and I want to practice and... frankly, just garbage. The single engine handling characteristics are all wrong, from barely being perceptible in terms of yaw at cruise power (that's not right, I'll promise you) to being essentially unable to climb with the inop engine secured and full power on the good engine, five degrees bank into the good engine and half-ball deflection. Oh, and I should add, you'll have to click the prop controls to feather the prop because if you've simply bound the prop control to the throttle block you've bought, for some unknowable reason the bottom range of that will not move the control into feather. Great job, lads!

Other benefits: the 310 is fuckin' mint in VR, the Seneca is a bit dodgy like the panel is supposed to be flat so you have to click everything with your right eye closed. Better, I suppose, than VR in their 182 where they believe the ideal centered viewpoint is... staring at the rudder pedals. Carenado is just, frankly, not at all good. Don't spend money there, it's a waste. It's not "a few systems aren't simulated in full fidelity," but rather "it's critically flawed and after a year they haven't done poo poo to fix it." They are saying they have a PC-12 coming soon, and I'd dearly love to fly a good rendition of the PC-12, so I won't be buying it.

It's a shame, because I really would love to fly the Seneca with something approaching real-world performance. I mean, of course it won't be perfect, but it's just shockingly poor. The ALSIM Seminole model we use for training at work is closer, and trust me when I say: it's not that close for a number of reasons (the most basic of which being: it's literally a different plane that's "close enough").

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 2, 2022

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

If you like the 310R, also check out the Flysimware Cessna 414A Chancellor.

When I was in the market for one of them, everyone I asked said get both. Picked up the 310R first, loved it. Then picked up the 414A, also loved it.

Edit: I also totally agree about the 310R in VR, it's amazing.

Edit Edit: I haven't flown either of my Carenado Mooney or Seneca at all in the past year. Besides the 310R/414A my other go to are the Piper Turbo Arrows. That being said, I prefer the vFlyte Piper Arrows in XP11 due to the E1000 integration and the modern AP.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 3, 2022

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Carenado makes nice looking planes that are affordable but if you want poo poo to be simulated at a very high level, you’re always going to be disappointed by their work.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Don't forget about the SU update (I think it was SU5) that broke their Mooney and it took them months to get a patch out to fix it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Carendo hits a really nasty crux of “just got enough but not quite” and seems to target cool planes that you want to fly if they’re really solidly designed. I have enjoyed some of their products but they always just leave you wanting just slightly more meat.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Some of Carenado's planes for P3d ended up being pretty good, but that was almost always down to the 3rd party community fixing some of the stuff Carenado could be bothered to. Unfortunately, the encryption system MSFS uses makes that functionally impossible at the moment, and I'm guessing Carenado won't be one of the developers who signs off on allowing their files to be edited when Asobo rolls that out.

For MSFS, Carenado has had to overhaul their entire business model, since they usually release something, release exactly one patch (that mostly fixes some cosmetic stuff), and then abandon it, but the MSFS "every update breaks something" model has forced Carenado to do something resembling support for their products.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gently caress it, I think I'm going to order a Reverb G2.

Before I do, is there anything on the near horizon (<6 months?) to potentially wait for?

Also :lol: at HPs website. A popup comes up for "SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER AND SAVE $10 ON PURCHASES OVER $60"

So I do, go to start the checkout process and it says "COUPON EXPIRED" :owned:

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

slidebite posted:

Before I do, is there anything on the near horizon (<6 months?) to potentially wait for?

Also :lol: at HPs website. A popup comes up for "SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER AND SAVE $10 ON PURCHASES OVER $60"

Yeah there is a ton of stuff on the horizon, but everything is going to be premium priced:

Meta Quest Cambria (Should be announced in Sep?)
Pimax Crystal (Q2 - Q3 this year)
Valve Deckard (Not sure if this or next year)
Pico Neo 4 (either this or next year)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Did Valve really name theirs after Deckard Cain?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
There’s also the wildcard option of the upcoming Apple AR/VR headset (early 2023?). It’ll be stand-alone or Mac-only of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone hacks the thing to work as a PC headset.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married

slidebite posted:

Reverb G2 haver opinion - so long as you don't want to use the controls (which are terrible), the headset itself is quite unbeatable for the price/clarity.

While there are some potential announcements pending, I wouldn't see myself moving from this headset unless there's a significant shift in either field of view, or a headset that offered functional foverated rendering that would allow me to eek out a bit more performance.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CaptainEO posted:

There’s also the wildcard option of the upcoming Apple AR/VR headset (early 2023?). It’ll be stand-alone or Mac-only of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone hacks the thing to work as a PC headset.

And it'll cost $3000 because it's a "lifestyle" product, and to recharge it you'll have to plug the charger directly into one of the lenses. The optional stand that doesn't do anything but hold it will be another $1k. The controllers will have one button. Audio will be mono only, and reduce the framerate by half. It will come in 3 colors; Pearlescent Melon, Black Hole, and Aquarium Champagne. It will come with courtesy pack of Depends, because you will immediately shid and fard and came in your pants when you first lay hands on it.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Unsinkabear posted:

Did Valve really name theirs after Deckard Cain?

More likely Rick Deckard.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Came back to MSFS. Is the AP still fickle and liable to murder you? I tried setting up some functions on my HOTAS and it was just absolute chaos.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It depends on the plane but for the most part no, AP seems to work fine now.

G1000 aircraft work flawlessly as long as you install the free G1000 NXi mod from the marketplace.

Everything else works as long as you don't try to fly an autopilot approach from vectors to final because it will simply fail to intercept if you are on what stock MSFS calls a "USER" leg no matter what. The autopilot and ILS receiver are supposed to be completely independent of the FMS of course but they aren't isn't in stock MSFS because you see Asobo they are very good at the programmings. Oh yeah and also the flight director will refuse to switch off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah I haven't had the autopilot murder me in a while. It does like to get stuck on the fake waypoints it adds to a flightplan when departing an airport though.