Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kestral posted:

Had to step out for a while, so I missed the Odyssey run up to this point - what's the deal with a Darker Side run?

Darker Side is a punishingly difficult (to the casual player) optional level at the end of Odyssey. It requires collecting 500 of the power moons (out of 880 possible unique moons) to access. Ganon blew through the story mode and is now going back through the levels doing clean-up to get to the Darker Side minimum.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I have questions about the international re-streams. How does that work? Is it just someone commenting on the run in their own words and own language? Is it more of a translation of the English stream? Something else entirely?

Usually they just do their own commentary over the original. There's been English restreams of RTA in Japan over at Speedgaming too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This run is so cool. Makes me really wanna play Odyssey again.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

seeing all those moons turned in at once was so satisfying

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hmmm, weren't we already past a million at this point in AGDQ?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Odyssey is 5 years old. :shepicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Hmmm, weren't we already past a million at this point in AGDQ?

Inflation and the global economy being poo poo in general is really hampering donations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah that makes sense, it was just something I couldn't help noticing. It'll be a little funny though, if they pushed to go back to in person and it ends up raising less than the online shows

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Last time broke so many records it's kinda expected that kinda growth cannot continue with this economic situation too. But I don't doubt we'll still raise a respectable amount of money for charity.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Absolutely, it doesn't take anything away from the good it's accomplishing - and I think trying to force each show to be even bigger than the last will quickly end up with diminishing returns

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Love the crowd doing a single clap for each moon.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Donations aren't doing too bad really.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Looks like AGDQ22 started with a huge donation of some sort and continued to be insane. 0_0

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Turns out I was wrong!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I zoomed in a bit. AGDQ22 just had a real takeoff of donations around Monday afternoon and just never backed off.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm hoping the FF6 Worlds collide rando run will be fun. I've been watching quite a few after seeing Retrophile run it at Retrothon 2021.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I never noticed the rock/paper/scissors thing until Spikevegeta pointed it out

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

TeaJay posted:

I'm hoping the FF6 Worlds collide rando run will be fun. I've been watching quite a few after seeing Retrophile run it at Retrothon 2021.

I'm mostly hoping it'll be intelligible. I like randos in concept, but in execution I often can't tell what the hell is going on, even in games like LTTP that I've played to death.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kestral posted:

I'm mostly hoping it'll be intelligible. I like randos in concept, but in execution I often can't tell what the hell is going on, even in games like LTTP that I've played to death.

Yeah, the 4 runners thing might be hard to follow compared to just one. I usually just focus on someone for those kinds of races.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That's what you get for abandoning faithful Yoshi to the lava, Mario!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh man, darker side was one thing casually but I feel bad for ganon right now.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Kestral posted:

Are they have commentators? The rando races with commentary are the best ones.

Also: This Mario run will be a highlight of the whole event, what a fun run/runner/coach.

Kestral posted:

That's what you get for abandoning faithful Yoshi to the lava, Mario!!!

:hai:

edit: Daaaaaaamn though another death. This is going over time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
C h o k e

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Poor Ganon, he sounds shaken, understandably so. This is a brutal trick, I'm so glad the crowd is supportive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yoshi lovingly gives up his life to Mario. He embraces the sweet searing heat of the lava as it consumes him. Knowing his death let Mario save 2 seconds.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This whole area looks brutal even as far as super secret hidden areas go.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

and another one.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

:rip:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It... It keeps going?!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this run was so beautiful till now, but this level is brutal

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Oh man this dark side run is brutal.

EDIT: BEATEN WITH BRUTAL :(

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Yo honest question, was Yoshi always in Super Mario Odyssey? I legitimately do not remember.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Found myself literally holding my breath for that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that was really crazy.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Wow coming back from that level of choke to complete the level as intended is possibly one of the most impressive parts of the run.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He did it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There we go. A long journey...

nordichammer posted:

Yo honest question, was Yoshi always in Super Mario Odyssey? I legitimately do not remember.

He first appears in the postgame.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Aww so close, I was hoping he'd scrape into meeting est. Oh well, just a cap's length over.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

That's right Spike, preach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Several runs this marathon have been just over estimate and they've all been good runs.