Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gohmak posted:

Wow. RLM praising the final 2 episodes while blaming all problems on the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2pU6lLW4g&t=1008s

can't believe the guys who made their bones with trite, boring criticisms of the prequels feel obligated to stick to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mike in particular has always had a tendency to give boring disney poo poo a lukewarm positive review because hes expecting it to be worse. they used to do it with every marvel movie and it annoyed the poo poo out of me

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

rich is also very bad when it comes to star wars. he had one forward thinking thought about TFA just being ok, not great, and one good point about star wars being creatively bankrupt. but that was seven years ago now richie, can't keep coasting off it forever. or maybe you can. he's even got his own little talking about star wars voice i swear to god!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Thats the limitations of Star Wars, I'm leaning back in my chair but spastically hunching on certain words, but I do. love. Rich Evans.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Farm Frenzy posted:

mike in particular has always had a tendency to give boring disney poo poo a lukewarm positive review because hes expecting it to be worse. they used to do it with every marvel movie and it annoyed the poo poo out of me

I don't watch most of their reviews but they seem to sincerely believe the bit from the prequel videos about how a movie is a product that must be assembled correctly (down on luck scene at the start, villain who does something evil so we know they're bad, love interest, etc) and Disney Marvel movies pretty much follow that formula

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

He technically never saw her lightsaber. She kept turning it off, and then she would see him. It was, like, the 5th, “I mean, I guess,” of the show. At minimum.

Like, “Leia doesn’t have reference her time with Kenobi when she was 10 and they formed a life long bond in her hologram message to him in ANH.” I mean, I guess.

I feel like a better written show would’ve cared more about little details like this.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I don't watch most of their reviews but they seem to sincerely believe the bit from the prequel videos about how a movie is a product that must be assembled correctly (down on luck scene at the start, villain who does something evil so we know they're bad, love interest, etc) and Disney Marvel movies pretty much follow that formula

a valiant attempt to smear the correct prequel reviews but its much more that they just say 'this is almost shlock and I love shlock' because they don't have any sense of perspective anymore. its basically the defence that people make for crap here but with a different set of crap

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

That DICK! posted:

wow apparently ol' quarsh had leia figured out too, like immediately

Is Darth Vader the dumbest man alive?

I thought you were referring to the character by his actor and giving him a weird nickname but no, they literally just named the character after the actor.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gohmak posted:

Wow. RLM praising the final 2 episodes while blaming all problems on the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2pU6lLW4g&t=1008s

Actually watched this and that's not even vaguely what they're saying lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Farm Frenzy posted:

stop beating around the bush with that stupid virtual set disney. get rid of the tattooine set too. film the whole thing in the woods. let star wars become the hideous canadian scifi show it was always destined to be

child leia didn't outpace flea from the chillis on foot for you to forget her forest scene happened

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Imagine that Leia chase scene, but instead of having medium sized humanoids chasing her she's fleeing an Ugnaught, a Jawa, an Ewok, and Yoda's mobbed up second cousin Yuigi.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The RLM prequel reviews are terrible

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The RLM prequel reviews are terrible

This feels revisionist. Those reviews back in the day were redemptive, turning those films into something we could enjoy mocking rather than just angrily complaining about. The fact that it springboarded a decade of RLM just sitting around talking about films and being mostly wrong about them is another matter entirely.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Halloween Jack posted:

The first scene of the first Star Wars movie is Leia's corvette getting chased down and stopped by a Star Destroyer because it's clearly outclassed.

That was the Tantive IV, a vessel that is literally classified as a "blockade runner" because of how fast and manoeuvrable it is.

Look at this thing, It's all engines:

But the lovely old freighter that Vader could pull out of the sky and rip apart outclasses an ISD.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

This feels revisionist. Those reviews back in the day were redemptive, turning those films into something we could enjoy mocking rather than just angrily complaining about. The fact that it springboarded a decade of RLM just sitting around talking about films and being mostly wrong about them is another matter entirely.
I find RLM super. Then don't like something I like and suddenly are dumb.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Some of you are being a little weird about a bunch of dudes not hating a Star Wars show nearly as much as you did

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Farm Frenzy posted:

stop beating around the bush with that stupid virtual set disney. get rid of the tattooine set too. film the whole thing in the woods. let star wars become the hideous canadian scifi show it was always destined to be

Instead of always being set on Tatooine the stories always find their way back to Endor's moon but they always have to mention they're in a new growth area because the trees are smaller and shorter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how the fleeing transport shits out a single person shuttle that is about one third the size of its mothership. Where are all the dozens of refugees sitting if Obi Wan just naffed off with half the living space.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, that had the shadow of the late edit hanging over it as well. It's not like we haven't seen Obi-wan fly a solo ship.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

I feel like a better written show would’ve cared more about little details like this.

Without a doubt. Please don't think I'm excusing the show. It's annoying that the show has that many, "I mean, I guess" moments.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I will say that there's one very good thing in the Obi-Wan show: the mole guy. I think this is the first time Disney Star Wars has even contemplated why an ordinary schmoe would support the Empire. In live-action, anyway.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah well it’s 2022 now and hindsight is 20/20

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I argue that you can actually just enjoy the prequels for what they are. You don’t have to cynically make fun of them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you don't want people to cynically make fun of something then why post on SA

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I argue the prequels are boring and mostly bad and should be cynically mocked.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I argue that you can actually just enjoy the prequels for what they are. You don’t have to cynically make fun of them.

excellent false dichotomy there

e: hang on you were the guy who said taika waititi's films are poo poo, lmao

2e: and also the one who accused disney of 'cynical' and 'pre-emptive' pushback against racism, i don't think you know what cynical means

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 29, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

excellent false dichotomy there

e: hang on you were the guy who said taika waititi's films are poo poo, lmao

2e: and also the one who accused disney of 'cynical' and 'pre-emptive' pushback against racism, i don't think you know what cynical means

Yeah his movies are garbage for adults who refuse to grow up. Also not funny

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Grow up and give the pod racing scene the respect it loving deserves, you absolute child

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Grow up and give the pod racing scene the respect it loving deserves, you absolute child

I unironically agree. The pod race is loving sick

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

After I finished Clone Wars I loaded up episode 3 and it's just insane how much lesser it is than the series. I get it had 6'ish seasons of character development and adventures but even treating Ep 3 as just another arc from Clone Wars the tone and characters are all off. It's just so drat boring and the final fight is a joke.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vintersorg posted:

After I finished Clone Wars I loaded up episode 3 and it's just insane how much lesser it is than the series. I get it had 6'ish seasons of character development and adventures but even treating Ep 3 as just another arc from Clone Wars the tone and characters are all off. It's just so drat boring and the final fight is a joke.

My wife and I recently started a Clone Wars rewatch and even though the first season isn't the best, it still feels better made and like it has more "heart" behind it than Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This and also Darth Maul and the greatest lightsaber duel of all history in RotS. What an uncultured swine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don’t know why people can’t accept what’s actually cool in the prequels. It’s ok to enjoy that! Break free from RLM!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

While I have more of an appreciation for the prequels than I used to, I still find them largely boring to sit down and watch. But the podrace scene has always slapped, and I've never understood people saying it sucks. It's a cool, fun bright spot in the middle of a particularly boring spot in the middle of the movie.

More movies should throw an incredible chariot race in them to spice things up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The pod race is absolutely amazing and so well crafted. It's a great way to show off your new tv/sound system too. gently caress it roars!!!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i liked the lava planet fight. i liked dexter jetster. i liked duhhhh the acklay kid

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That DICK! posted:

i liked the lava planet fight. i liked dexter jetster. i liked duhhhh the acklay kid

I like the lava planet fight a lot, while they're inside. Once they get outside and start hopping around on platforms, they start losing me.

But when they're inside and just going to town on each other with lightsabers, it's very much "my poo poo".

Vintersorg posted:

The pod race is absolutely amazing and so well crafted. It's a great way to show off your new tv/sound system too. gently caress it roars!!!

Oh definitely. And as much as I love John Williams, the choice to use no music until the very end was great. Just roars of engines, explosions, and screams from soon to be dead aliens.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vintersorg posted:

The final fight? Of Revenge Of The Sith?? A joke???

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2house2fly posted:

The final fight? Of Revenge Of The Sith?? A joke???

Yeah, it stinks and goes on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ultimate movie challenge: load up the final fight of Revenge Of The Sith on youtube and try to find a single frame that is not iconic