Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There isn't a single Beatles track that isn't or wouldn't be better if a better band recorded or performed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao I really watered that one down to absolute nothing, didn't I. Oh well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

How do you mean? A lot of Anglophone "thoughts" do not seem all that different from people across time or the globe. Like in the case of Glorantha you have it where a culture have "Violence is always an option", but when you examine it that seemingly horrific sentiment is also similar to how a lot of our political ideals function in reality.

Read some le guin

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
she sounds french so that's an immediate red flag imo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anglos wish they could be french

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most peolle would prefer to be from everywhere else. Even is elsewhere is an imagined version of the place they currently live.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Basically a lateral move tbf

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the opposite is actually true, they are desperate for the reach and cultural breadth of the anglo world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Beatles are certainly "over-rated" in the sense they are the greatest selling musical act of all time and since they won't appeal to every single individual then on average they will be over-rated showing how utterly useless that term is

I can't judge though, music is very much a personal thing, I for example find The Rolling Stones to be the most bewilderingly over-rated band of all time, which is not to say I don't enjoy their more well known songs - I do but everything I've ever heard by them that wasn't played on MTV or more likely VH1 classics hasn't caught my attention at all

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

How do you mean? A lot of Anglophone "thoughts" do not seem all that different from people across time or the globe. Like in the case of Glorantha you have it where a culture have "Violence is always an option", but when you examine it that seemingly horrific sentiment is also similar to how a lot of our political ideals function in reality.

Well, a person in a pseudo-medieval setting is going to have thoughts on chivalry and chivalric romances that are different than what we think today. They’re going to have ideas about how a state should be organized and a really big political question could have significantly different answers, stuff like “should we have democracy” and “how bad is it to rob a priest, really” and “is it reasonable to have a duel to the death because your traveling companion said something about whether or not Mary was perpetually a virgin”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Beatles are certainly "over-rated" in the sense they are the greatest selling musical act of all time and since they won't appeal to every single individual then on average they will be over-rated showing how utterly useless that term is

I can't judge though, music is very much a personal thing, I for example find The Rolling Stones to be the most bewilderingly over-rated band of all time, which is not to say I don't enjoy their more well known songs - I do but everything I've ever heard by them that wasn't played on MTV or more likely VH1 classics hasn't caught my attention at all

Humans just love to put poo poo on a pedestal. It's not enough to just have a band be good, they have to be legendary and the best in the world. There is no best band. Both are good bands imo and obviously super influential but the way people treat them like some otherworldly thing is stupid.

People also do this with like, pop stars, rappers etc. poo poo even if you are into punk and indie rock it's the same thing on a smaller scale. People always need to crown someone the king/queen even if it's undeserved in pretty much every case.

Obviously this goes way past music. I'd love to know why it's baked into our DNA to select a few people in society and basically worship them. it's weird as gently caress.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Jun 28, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
francos: the people's razor

anglos: it's weird how everyone else doesn't worship this ancient racist bat we gave the national hat

QED :colbert:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

anglos: it's weird how everyone else doesn't worship this ancient racist bat we gave the national hat

Francophones famously don’t have celebrities

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh sorry for some reason I thought this was a US/France ribbing. Forgot the UK existed for a sec lol

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
If we want to talk overrated musical acts that produce music better performed by other artists, Bob Dylan is right there, warbling away.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Blue Moonlight posted:

If we want to talk overrated musical acts that produce music better performed by other artists, Bob Dylan is right there, warbling away.

Sometimes covers are way worse though. There's this guy who covered Metallica's Turn The Page, Bob or whatever, his cover sucks bad

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The fascists and the popular movement are equally bad, ps here's your manic pixie dream girl in case the gunfights didn't get you hard enough?

That game sucks so hard. Bad gaùeplay and frankly uncomfortable plot.

Analytic Engine posted:

Bioshock Infinite tried to walk this delicate line and totally ate poo poo before the landing, though the scifi part was cool

Thank you. I've been playing through the 3 BioShock's and these are my thoughts exactly - down to "manic pixie dream girl" who's too delicate to fight, plus the addition of a boring, generic, grizzled rogue player character (named loving "Booker").

Obviously the true motivation behind the group fighting against being violently oppressed is to murder innocent children. They're just as bad as the oppressors when you think about it.

It looks good, the setting is cool and the gunfights against regular enemies are decent (the boss types are irritating). It's the worst of the 3 for sure.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thetoughestbean posted:

Part of the appeal of fantasy is exploring different worlds with different methods of being. People in fantasy worlds shouldn’t have the same worldview and morals as modern people and to demand that do is deeply silly
It entirely depends on what the purpose of the setting is. In many cases it's simply to allow for sword fights; neither the author nor the audience are interested in exploring different worlds and that's fine.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiggum posted:

It entirely depends on what the purpose of the setting is. In many cases it's simply to allow for sword fights; neither the author nor the audience are interested in exploring different worlds and that's fine.

But fantasy politics is the part of fantasy!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's nothing good about Phantom Menace including the pod racing sequence and Duel of the Fates. The music is boring and repetitive and the shouting chorus is really irritating. it just reminds you of carmina burana except more boring. Theere's a bunch of retrospectives now on how "the prequel trilogy is good, actually" but they are all wrong. Just because they are better than the garbage Boba Fett or Obi wan show doesn't mean they are actually good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone who says the prequels aren't total poo poo is the unpopular opinion haver, they are just empowered now because the internet is fueled by contrarian buttholes. It's like how the Last Jedi sucked but a bunch of dweebs actually think think it's empowering to talk about how its amazing just because people hated it. Almost everything with the Star Wars name on it except the 3 real Star Wars movies is straight up trash. Except a couple of video games and Rogue 1, which are cool. This is canon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There is only one good Star Wars movie. People desperately want the rest to be good because of how cool they seem like they should be. Space wizards fighting each other with laser swords - how could that not be the most amazing thing ever? But they're bad. All of them, except for the first one, which is a decent story told well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lmao who in the loving world thinks Empire Strikes Back is bad? Tiggum I guess. Now that's an unpopular opinion.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

Well, a person in a pseudo-medieval setting is going to have thoughts on chivalry and chivalric romances that are different than what we think today. They’re going to have ideas about how a state should be organized and a really big political question could have significantly different answers, stuff like “should we have democracy” and “how bad is it to rob a priest, really” and “is it reasonable to have a duel to the death because your traveling companion said something about whether or not Mary was perpetually a virgin”

I mean they are, but those thoughts may very well be "chivalry is horse poo poo". We only have the word of the literate people to go on and ofc they are going to say "everyone respects priests!" whilst whenever there was an uprising it's often the priests getting strung up.

The problem with the idea of the Medieval period as a thing is that it rests on the twin pillars of "Renaissance era fetishisation of the Ancient Era" and "jesus Christ there is no central authority". The lack of centralisation leads frequently to differences of thought across relatively small geographic area. Heck, just look at the cult of Saint Guinefort, the best boy.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

spleen merchant posted:

It looks good, the setting is cool and the gunfights against regular enemies are decent (the boss types are irritating). It's the worst of the 3 for sure.

It's much better than Bioshock 2 which has both a much less interesting story and also manages to make revisiting Rapture (one of the best settings in games) feel totally flat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe 1.5 good entries out of a whole franchise- as goes bioshock, so go the star wars

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone who says the prequels aren't total poo poo is the unpopular opinion haver, they are just empowered now because the internet is fueled by contrarian buttholes. It's like how the Last Jedi sucked but a bunch of dweebs actually think think it's empowering to talk about how its amazing just because people hated it. Almost everything with the Star Wars name on it except the 3 real Star Wars movies is straight up trash. Except a couple of video games and Rogue 1, which are cool. This is canon.

At least the prequels are an incredible clusterfuck. The sequels make one feel nothing. Also Rogue 1 is trash that relies entirely on "look! look! X-wings, darth vader, late 70s hair? Do you remember this stuff?"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 10:13 on Jun 29, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the sequels feel like watching a really long ad for a star wars ride at disneyland

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 were really mediocre games

Personally I really disliked how the story was told through audiotapes. Just tons and tons of audiotapes everywhere that everyone recorded for no real reason

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
yeah man gently caress those well acted, dripping with atmosphere, subtley horrific audio diaries, just cram more non interactive cutscenes into your games plz devs,

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Bioshock was fun, never played 2 or 3 but I feel like Prey made them obsolete as SS2 clones.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

bioshock infinite was god awful, bio shock 1 was good

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Dishonored is the best Bioshock just like Okami is the best Zelda

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yeah man gently caress those well acted, dripping with atmosphere, subtley horrific audio diaries, just cram more non interactive cutscenes into your games plz devs,

They were trash and you are a lesser human being for enjoying that. :mad:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Dishonored was also bad

Both 1 and 2

1) too easy
2) didn't like the artstyle
3) bad story

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Collapsing Farts posted:

Personally I really disliked how the story was told through audiotapes. Just tons and tons of audiotapes everywhere that everyone recorded for no real reason

Did you play the Minerva's den dlc? That team went in to make indie darling Gone Home. So the audiotapes thing makes sense.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nothing about bioshock is good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

I don't mind, but in case you didn't know, there's a PYPHU hideo james O thread, too.

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you play the Minerva's den dlc? That team went in to make indie darling Gone Home. So the audiotapes thing makes sense.

It also makes sense since it's BioSHOCK and System Shock was all audio recorders, except for the end boss. (Due to technical limitations of the time I'm sure.)

e: Would be fun if Bioshock 4 was based more on Creature Shock than System Shock. "All right don this suit and then go into that giant rectum!"

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Shibawanko posted:

nothing about bioshock is good

You get to kill libertarians.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Love it when someone has a negative opinion about an overwhelmingly popular thing and they are assaulted on all sides by furious nerds as though this one person's opinion is putting their entire multi-billion dollar earning franchise at risk. I bet you could see a correlation between the amount of success a franchise has and the level of IRE a fan has if another person criticizes it.

You know what? I like Phantom Menace kinda. And I dislike most Marvel movies. This isn't going to elevate Phantom Menace to some lofty pedestal and it isn't going to stop the next 30 boring Marvel movies being made. And though you may not believe it, I formed this opinion on my own, and am not being an "Internet contrarian" or whatever.

I'm broadly addressing All The Internet with this but it really happens on these forums, too, and it's weird to jump on people for having an unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

You're not some weird outlier if you like the star wars prequel movies. The phantom menace is the 4th highest earning movie of the 1990s. First if you count merch. They were and are wildly popular, all in the top 100 grossing releases of all time even adjusted for inflation - and that's without the disney money to stand on.