Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's RDM's love letter to the idea that, beyond its purpose to advance the superpowers' ideological and military hegemony, the space race was a noble struggle led by brave and selfless, yet flawed, heroes that represented the pinnacle of humanity's self-actualization and how that dream was scuttled by a few missteps and accidents that hollowed out the human vision for space travel. It gets a bit blindly optimistic, sure, but it's pretty uncommon to see such an optimistic show these days.

Weirdly, I find it to be exactly the opposite of an optimistic show since the entire thing is set in an alternative universe. "Maybe is we had done the right thing back in the 70's then the world wouldn't be as screwed up as it is now." It reminds me of a lot of climate change discourse and makes me depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I'm never going to watch this, but Kyle Machlachlan would make a great greedy post-apocalyptic mayor or weirdo gang boss. I'm betting they're going to make him a boring doctor or something though. The actual tone of Fallout just seems impossible to nail in a live action show. It's either going to be way too serious or embarassingly goofy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Randallteal posted:

I'm never going to watch this, but Kyle Machlachlan would make a great greedy post-apocalyptic mayor or weirdo gang boss. I'm betting they're going to make him a boring doctor or something though. The actual tone of Fallout just seems impossible to nail in a live action show. It's either going to be way too serious or embarassingly goofy.

Just cross justified with the 100.

These guys did a solid job with fallout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPs5nQ5d584

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's RDM's love letter to the idea that, beyond its purpose to advance the superpowers' ideological and military hegemony, the space race was a noble struggle led by brave and selfless, yet flawed, heroes that represented the pinnacle of humanity's self-actualization and how that dream was scuttled by a few missteps and accidents that hollowed out the human vision for space travel. It gets a bit blindly optimistic, sure, but it's pretty uncommon to see such an optimistic show these days.

I also would like to believe one of the major drivers was "let's imagine if women were a bigger part of midcentury American aspirational movements"

Like that's the whole joke of the title

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

two episodes into For All Mankind and this is really good but also, what's the point? Someone just had a cool idea for a better space history and wants to rub our nose in it!?

I've had deeper emotional reactions to this show than almost anything else this year other than Barry, but Barry didn't have me, end of 1st season spoilers, openly weeping.0

It's just good man. A mature, almost novelistic approach to alt history that takes a 10,000 feet view of historical events that doesn't rely on melo drama that shows how characters and a nation slowly moves forward.

And this might be the most meticulously researched sci fo show of all time. Jesus m at times I'm just awestruck at the work that must have gone into it. Singlehandedly justifies Apple TV imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 7 of The Bear was loving superb god drat

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Chris Pratt said some stuff about religion:

Wait. Hillsong is in America too? I thought it was just Australia. Mega-church indeed

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

Wait. Hillsong is in America too? I thought it was just Australia. Mega-church indeed

Hillsong website posted:

With their flagship campus in Sydney, Hillsong has churches in 30 countries on six continents:

Australia: 88 services per weekend in 38 campuses across New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, Northern Territory, Western Australia

Argentina: Buenos Aires

Belgium, Brussels

Brazil: São Paulo

Canada: Two campuses in Toronto

Denmark: Copenhagen

England: Ten campuses.

Fiji: Suva

France: Four campuses across Paris, Lyon and Marseille

Germany: Four campuses in Konstanz, Düsseldorf, Munich and Berlin

Hungary, Budapest

Indonesia: Bali

Israel: Tel Aviv

Italy: Three campuses in Milan, Rome and Naples

Japan: Tokyo

Kenya: Nairobi

Luxembourg

Mauritius: Moka

Mexico: Monterrey

Netherlands: Two campuses in Amsterdam and Rotterdam

Norway: Eight Locations in Oslo, Stavanger, Sandnes, Drammen, Egersund, Kristiansand, Trondheim and Ålesund

Portugal: Two main campuses in Lisbon and Porto, with five other campuses across the country

Russia: Moscow

Scotland: Edinburgh

South Africa: Nine campuses across Cape Town, Pretoria and Johannesburg

Spain: Two campuses in Barcelona and Madrid

Sweden: Seven campuses in and around Stockholm and Malmö

Switzerland: Two campuses in Zurich and Geneva

Ukraine: Two locations in Kyiv

United States:  New York City, New Jersey, Connecticut, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco, and Boston

Even leaving aside their lovely views, the fact that a church can have international branches makes me sick.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 29, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished The Bear s1. Cried pretty hard. Maybe the second best new show of the year so far after Severance?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished The Bear s1. Cried pretty hard. Maybe the second best new show of the year so far after Severance?

Really wanting to get to that show. It's one of the few new shows in a while I've been really interested in. Mostly because I think Jeremy Allen White is seriously underrated as an actor. In my opinion even in a stacked cast of actors he was the clear standout on Shameless and his character's journey through that show is what held it together to me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I watched the first episode of The Bear. It's not really a comedy, almost all the characters are assholes, and i'm not sure what the show is about, but I will probably check out the second episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Really wanting to get to that show. It's one of the few new shows in a while I've been really interested in. Mostly because I think Jeremy Allen White is seriously underrated as an actor. In my opinion even in a stacked cast of actors he was the clear standout on Shameless and his character's journey through that show is what held it together to me.

He’s just phenomenal in it, and so are the other two leads (Ebon Moss-Bacharach and Ayo Edebiri). I do agree with Oasx that it’s not really a comedy (it’s frequently funny, but within the context of dramatic scenes) so I’m not sure why it’s being sold as one other than people still get confused by half-hour dramas.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the show's half an hour long because most of the episodes are, IMO, too intense to last longer. At an hour long they'd be enervating, rather than thrilling and tense.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

The guy on the right there is already a fallout NPC, dont lie to me

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

He’s just phenomenal in it, and so are the other two leads (Ebon Moss-Bacharach and Ayo Edebiri). I do agree with Oasx that it’s not really a comedy (it’s frequently funny, but within the context of dramatic scenes) so I’m not sure why it’s being sold as one other than people still get confused by half-hour dramas.

Not really a comedy is fine. The other thing I mainly know him from being Shameless I know that tone straddling pretty well. Shameless was very comedic at times but was mostly a drama and was kind of sold both ways.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He was good in Shameless but I eventually got really sick of that show and then there were another like five seasons I didn't watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

He was good in Shameless but I eventually got really sick of that show and then there were another like five seasons I didn't watch.

IMO Season 4 is the last time that show was good., so you missed nothing.

There's a big plot that the entire season is building to, that randomly gets kicked aside about eight episodes in and the entire thing collapses into mush, and the show never really recovered or found a new way to build stakes or move the characters on in a consistent direction. Pretty much every season premier would find a way to write out at least two, often more, plot lines and supporting characters from the previous season too, which made investment difficult.

Basically it went from drama to soap, with the occasional inexplicable segue / hoverboard product placement.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Escobarbarian posted:

Episode 7 of The Bear was loving superb god drat

Yeah episode 7 is a goddamn RIDE.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I've had deeper emotional reactions to this show than almost anything else this year other than Barry, but Barry didn't have me, end of 1st season spoilers, openly weeping.0

It's just good man. A mature, almost novelistic approach to alt history that takes a 10,000 feet view of historical events that doesn't rely on melo drama that shows how characters and a nation slowly moves forward.

And this might be the most meticulously researched sci fo show of all time. Jesus m at times I'm just awestruck at the work that must have gone into it. Singlehandedly justifies Apple TV imo

It's the kind of good I end up staring at the screen the whole time like a turkey, gonna have to pace it because it's not casual watching at all. It also stings to watch, just being in version of the world we are in. At the same time, still has all the same lovely things going in their world at that time but again, seems like they're barrelling through some breakpoints faster than we did. And if theyre already talkin moonbases by episode 2, can't imagine where poo poo will be by end of season, or the next.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The guy on the right there is already a fallout NPC, dont lie to me

lol for authenticity they're going to need a lot of that exact angle and framing. I do think Fallout itself is a solid enough setting to work as a TV show without too much fretting about changing this or that. You always play as "make your own person" and you get leeway in what stuff you engage with or choose to do. It's more an atmosphere, archetype, and circumstance than it is the stories and characters. get some corrugated sheet metal and old black n green computers, throw on some golden oldies, make everything dirty, find a bunker to film in, boom, good to go it's fallout.

Arist posted:

This is why I've held off watching Bear, I also quit Shameless somewhere around there and I'm not eager to watch Lip be stressed out in a kitchen.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dorium posted:

Yeah episode 7 is a goddamn RIDE.

One of the greatest and least mastered parts of streaming is that there are no 'blocks' and timing doesn't have to be arbitrary. 7 barely cracks 20 minutes, and that's *with* the credits. It's by far the shortest episode of the season, by like a good five minutes......and so what? That episode was exactly as long as it needed to be, and anything more would just be more. They don't need to push more content to make it fit 30 minutes. They didn't even need to push to hit 25. It was 19 minutes of chaos, and that's enough. They had that much story, so they made that much episode. And conversely the final episode had a little bit more to do, so it's the longest episode of the season. It was that much story, so take that much time telling it.

And just in general it's one of my favorite new shows of the season. Everyone is killing it, doesn't matter if they have 3 lines in the episode. Just an absolute joy to have my heart broken episode to episode.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah I finished The Bear and I liked it more than Yellowjackets and Severance by a mile for my favorite new show of the year so far.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought The Bear was good, but is not going to make my top ten list.
There was a plot point I didn’t understand though: Pretty much every conflict on the show revolves around Richie just screwing things up on purpose, and I don’t understand why the guy still has a job, it just got a little silly toward the end

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because he’s family and that’s clearly important to these characters. Plus a lot of the other kitchen staff would probably quit too for the same reason. It can be pretty frustrating as a viewer but within the world of the show it makes sense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay, I feel stupid. Can someone explain the ending of The Bear to me?
So, that suicided brother was a massive dumpster fire who kept losing money, raking in debts and making awful decisions in total chaos, but he also managed to squirrel away a massive load of cash? Is all of that drug money?

Episode 7 was wild. But I would never want to work in a kitchen. It would ruin the joy of cooking forever. After a week of that I would probably eat raw ingredients for the rest of my life.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There is never a single moment, no matter how hard they are going at each other, where Carmen mentions the fact that he's just some rando. He's always cousin. There's also no real edge or bitterness when Richie talks poo poo about Carmen's fancy job. They are family, that's just a given. He's also, in the moments when head is out of rear end, actually moderately competent at what he does and in dealing with people. He clearly has some respect in the community. We also don't know how much Mike's death is loving with Richie, but it's clearly "A lot". Like a lot of characters we are probably seeing him at his worst.

As for the ending:

The implication is that he took out the loan entirely to put the money away for Carmen to start a restaurant. He'd been squirreling the money away for a long, long time, and his suicide note is simply telling Carmen where the money is and that he loves and believes in him. The other implication is that he'd been thinking about killing himself for a long, long time. You don't hide away money if you think you'll be there to give it to someone. As was said, he could have just paid off his debts with that money and done something more with it if he wanted to. Instead every dime of it went straight into the cans. It was never for him.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

cant cook creole bream posted:

Okay, I feel stupid. Can someone explain the ending of The Bear to me?
So, that suicided brother was a massive dumpster fire who kept losing money, raking in debts and making awful decisions in total chaos, but he also managed to squirrel away a massive load of cash? Is all of that drug money?

Episode 7 was wild. But I would never want to work in a kitchen. It would ruin the joy of cooking forever. After a week of that I would probably eat raw ingredients for the rest of my life.

I think it was episode 3 at the end Carmy just comes home and eats a PB&J, bag of doritos and drinks a coke and that's pretty much the diet of anyone working back of house after a shift. My partner was the exact same way when she was in the service industry. I'm just so sick of thinking about food just give me the most simplest and basic poo poo to shove into my face so I can pass out and not think about food in any sort of way. Richie having a car full of Arby's cups is also totally on brand. There's just so many small touches in the show that really help ground everyone and having Matty Matheson on board as a supervisor and producer really helped with that. That dude basically lived the life for decades so he's well attuned to how it should be portrayed on television. Especially for smaller kitchens like a sandwich shop.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mulva posted:

As for the ending:

The implication is that he took out the loan entirely to put the money away for Carmen to start a restaurant. He'd been squirreling the money away for a long, long time, and his suicide note is simply telling Carmen where the money is and that he loves and believes in him. The other implication is that he'd been thinking about killing himself for a long, long time. You don't hide away money if you think you'll be there to give it to someone. As was said, he could have just paid off his debts with that money and done something more with it if he wanted to. Instead every dime of it went straight into the cans. It was never for him.
The Bear ending: wasn't that just the money that had been borrowed from their uncle? maybe there was some extra in there but I don't see how it really helps beyond covering that debt

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
nth-ing the bear being fantastic. RE it not being a comedy, there were two moments that got me really good, that almost felt like they came from a different draft Oliver Platt no-selling the kids getting dosed at the birthday party and Richie getting stabbed in the rear end

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Quantum Leap reboot has been announced to begin on Monday, September 19.

quote:

“It’s been nearly 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now, a new team, led by physicist Ben Song (played by Kevin Can F**k Himself‘s Raymond Lee), has been assembled to restart the project in hope of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.

Everything changes, however, when Ben makes an unauthorized leap into the past, leaving the team behind to solve the mystery of why he did it. At Ben’s side throughout his leaps is Addison (Caitlin Bassett), who appears in the form of a hologram only Ben can see and hear. She’s a decorated Army veteran who brings level-headed precision to her job.”

“At the helm of the highly confidential operation is Herbert ‘Magic’ Williams (Grace and Frankie‘s Ernie Hudson), a no-nonsense career military man who has to answer to his bosses who won’t be happy once they learn about the breach of protocol. (Magic is also clearly an older adult version of a character Sam Beckett interacted with in Vietnam, back in the day.) The rest of the team at headquarters includes Ian Wright (Cowboy Bebop‘s Mason Alexander Park), who runs the Artificial Intelligence unit ‘Ziggy,’ and Jenn Chou (Bosch‘s Nanrisa Lee), who heads up digital security for the project.”

“As Ben leaps from life to life, putting right what once went wrong, it becomes clear that he and the team are on a thrilling journey. However, Addison, Magic, Ian and Jenn know that if they are going to solve the mystery of Ben’s leap and bring him home, they must act fast or lose him forever.”

So it sounds like they're splitting serialized storytelling with a season-long arc.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

misguided rage posted:

The Bear ending: wasn't that just the money that had been borrowed from their uncle? maybe there was some extra in there but I don't see how it really helps beyond covering that debt

That's the entire point. He never put a dime of it into the shop. He could have, at any point. Every single dime he got from the loan he put in to the cans. It was never for him or for the Beef. It was for his brother, to do his own thing with. Which is exactly what Carmen is doing. The shop as exists is done, and they are building something new. "But doesn't this still lead to problems and fallout?" you might ask. To which I would say "Suicidal drug addicts make poor life decisions.". That was the intent though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

The Quantum Leap reboot has been announced to begin on Monday, September 19.

So it sounds like they're splitting serialized storytelling with a season-long arc.

That plot description has a disturbing lack of Sam Beckett, outside of the opening background. But I figure he'll be, at best, a recurring character. And that whole plot description is basically, "Here's what Quantum Leap is about", so I'm in. Plus, Ernie Hudson!

I'm assuming the main character leaps back to find Sam, for some reason. gently caress, I'm getting excited for Quantum Leap!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah originally it was suppose to be his daughter leaping back to find her dad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

That plot description has a disturbing lack of Sam Beckett, outside of the opening background. But I figure he'll be, at best, a recurring character. And that whole plot description is basically, "Here's what Quantum Leap is about", so I'm in. Plus, Ernie Hudson!

I'm assuming the main character leaps back to find Sam, for some reason. gently caress, I'm getting excited for Quantum Leap!

There's also the evil leapers plotline as well.

There's something to mine there rather then just a case of the week show, but the description seems like they are going to spend a lot of time in the 'future' doing a lot of dramatic and/or angry conversations.

How big of a deal was the memory loss in QL? I thought by season 2/3 Sam remembered pretty much everything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah originally it was suppose to be his daughter leaping back to find her dad.

See, this makes far more sense because then you could have tied the new show to the old through her and by revisiting people from Sam’s old leaps.

I’m torn on this because QL was a show driven purely by the charm of Bakula and Stockwell’s performances. The future world stuff never really mattered that much and the show knew it, so a continuation without the involvement of either of them seems a bit pointless.

I’m sure Bakula will show up in the first season finale or something, but it’s a weird albatross to hang on your show’s creativity just so you can include a tiny bit of fan service. Just make it a full reboot and give Bakula a small recurring role ala Richard Hatch as Tom Zarek in the RDM BSG.

It’s also explicit canon that both God and Satan exist in the QL universe and were directly influencing Sam’s leaps, which is reason enough to jettison the old canon and make your show a real reboot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s also explicit canon that both God and Satan exist in the QL universe and were directly influencing Sam’s leaps, which is reason enough to jettison the old canon and make your show a real reboot.

I mean, you can just easily ignore this bit. It didn't come into the vast majority of episodes. It's not hard to ignore who is controlling the leaps, and no one will really care if they don't reference god or the devil, I think.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah they should just go for it. This week God has tasked Raymond "Showkiller" Lee to leap back into the body of Jesus. Next week he's going to teach modern america about... *rolls dice* how hard it is to be a teenaged girl.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It could also be that Bakula, fond as he is of the franchise, doesn't really want to go back to series work so quickly. He just wrapped seven seasons on NCIS: New Orleans and residuals on that for the rest of his life, he also has endless Enterprise residual checks coming in perpetuity. He's 67 and by his own account wants to spend time with his wife, to the point that he flew from NOLA to Los Angeles every weekend or break in filming from NCIS just because he missed being with her. At most I'd expect a season-finale appearance.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Smashed out The Bear in a day. Amazing show. gently caress ever working in a kitchen, I could smell that poo poo from the other side of my TV.

Re: the ending. I get what your saying but I don't understand why Carm would even be responsible for the 300k debt anyway. I doubt anything is documented, and I'm sure it was Micky borrowing the money, not the restaurant.

But maybe that is how they could do a season two. If they did pay back the debt, they'd be starting at 0 again which whilst better than the situation going into this season, is still a precarious position to mine drama from.

Few of my own questions:
Did they ever explain what broke Carm back in his fancy chef world?
Is it related to the burning pot flashback or is that something else?
Did they ever clarify who Nico was?

Assume that is all stuff that could be covered in a season 2.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looten Plunder posted:

Smashed out The Bear in a day. Amazing show. gently caress ever working in a kitchen, I could smell that poo poo from the other side of my TV.

Re: the ending. I get what your saying but I don't understand why Carm would even be responsible for the 300k debt anyway. I doubt anything is documented, and I'm sure it was Micky borrowing the money, not the restaurant.

But maybe that is how they could do a season two. If they did pay back the debt, they'd be starting at 0 again which whilst better than the situation going into this season, is still a precarious position to mine drama from.

Few of my own questions:
Did they ever explain what broke Carm back in his fancy chef world?
Is it related to the burning pot flashback or is that something else?
Did they ever clarify who Nico was?

Assume that is all stuff that could be covered in a season 2.

Carmy and his old job:

he just broke down because the job was physically and mentally taxing, that’s the short and long of it

The end:

the money came from their Uncle. It sounded at least from just the dialogue and the few snippets of the books you see that most of the money the shop was at a loss to was their uncle and the vendors while not being fully paid out were still being paid. Michael definitely considered At most that Carmy would be able to pay back the vendors but would be stuck with the 300k loan but in his own bull headed / addict head thought leaving him with that 300k (well slightly minus what like 10k? Because they def threw one of those cans away in the trash in the first episode) was his way of saying I believe in you, make this restaurant your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Re: the thread title, I just finished season 1 of Our Flag Means Death and if it hadn't been renewed and left things as they were I would have flipped a table.