Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Overall, I like the chaos faction moves. N'kari to Ulthuan is both obvious from a lore perspective, long awaited due to the constant reminders that N'kari has a lot of beef with the twins, and also just generally a good move to make Ulthuan a little less safe, less of a tutorial island.

Ku'gath to the Dragon Isles makes some lore sense, since the river Ruin is where the chaos dwarves dump all their toxic waste, so of course Ku'gath would appreciate it. And this all but confirms that Malus Darkblade gets moved, which we won't find about for a long time because new dark elves start positions are among the last to be announced. With Malus going away, whoever of Snikch or Imrik survives their conflict would have quite some time to build up in peace. Ku'gath shakes up things a little. And if you play as Ku'gath, you don't need to get involved with the folks north of you at all, you have a shortcut to Cathay right next to you.

Kairos starting at the Fortress of Dawn probably means that the high elf faction occupying that space will get conquered pretty quickly. I wonder if the HE faction on the southern tip of Lustria is still in the game, and whether there are others around. I think some old map showed the Eastern Islands having he outposts? In any case, less minor factions for the HE player to confederate, that's not a bad thing. Kairos has a lot of options to expand. He can fortify his part of the Southlands and presumably conquer the southern chaos wastes with little opposition (unless Oxyotl and/or a WoC lord relocates there). Or he can push north and tangle with Kroq'gar, Tiktaq'to, Volkmar, Arkhan, and the TKs.

Skarbrand's start of course will be pure fun if you play as him, and provide a much needed counterweight to Grimgor. Perhaps the greenskins will not explode out of the badlands like they do in what feels like 2 out of 3 games?

That said, I wouldn't want to be Settra in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IIRC the place where Kugath starts is just outside the mouth of the most poluted river in Warhammer, the River Ruin, the one where Chorfs dump all their waste

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

I think they did say they were reworking corruption for Immortal Empires so maybe daemons will have a few speedbumps to deal with before they roll over everyone

I hope they rework the graphics side of corruption a bit, it looks wonky how abruptly the borders switch from purple/red/green/blue to normal along the lines, along with the tinted battle map skies getting old.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The empire now has corruption and skulls appear on buildings

The vampire corruption changed too where buildings become skulls

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

My hope for the corruption changes is that they rename Untainted to something like Holy Corruption and then rename each faction's preferred corruption type to Untainted in their own UI.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1542100583020216330

Lizardmen post is up.
Next reveal should be Norsca.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 29, 2022

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kroq-Gar vs Skarbrand vs Grimgrog :getin:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pretty much the same, then, except taking the only lizard that was in the North and moving him right next to all the rest. Sigh.

Wonder if this indicates Taurox will also be in Antarctica?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nakai moving over to the jungles near Kuresh and Cathay is fun.

Weird move with Oxyotl.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Oxyotl can like go anywhere.

but finding him is the problem. free vanguard deployment please.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Oxyotl is the one LL whose starting position doesn't matter that much, because his campaign mechanics means you will be jumping all over the whole map anyways. Nakai in Cathay will be fun.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
No real big surprises for the Lizardmen. Oxyotl to the southern wastes wasn’t on my radar but makes complete sense in retrospect. Nakai to the Khuresh border *was* on my radar, he wasn’t going to stay where he was and the Lizardmen are a decent proxy for nagas right now.

Norsca tomorrow, which is very likely to be the most boring reveal of the lot. Only two LLs and they both seem pretty locked into their existing homes.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nakai strategically moved to get wiped out on Turn 3 by the Monkey King once his DLC drops

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

orangelex44 posted:

No real big surprises for the Lizardmen. Oxyotl to the southern wastes wasn’t on my radar but makes complete sense in retrospect. Nakai to the Khuresh border *was* on my radar, he wasn’t going to stay where he was and the Lizardmen are a decent proxy for nagas right now.

Norsca tomorrow, which is very likely to be the most boring reveal of the lot. Only two LLs and they both seem pretty locked into their existing homes.

Isn't it already confirmed that Wulfrik is going *somewhere*?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Wulfric is probably ending up near the donut to fight elves, maybe near Mazda for that overpowered unique building.

They could always surprise us with playable Surtha Ek, Horselord of the northern wastes.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't it already confirmed that Wulfrik is going *somewhere*?

I don’t think so? I think all we know is “You may just find a certain Krakenlord pillaging Grand Cathay…or a stealthy Skink taking the fight right to Chaos’ front door…”

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wulfrik moving would mean that, barring Archaeon and pals (who are also probably being split up a bit) there would only be (now, before new Chaos LLs which are certainly coming) 2 chaos-aligned LLs in all of Norsca and the Chaos Wastes. Seems weird at IE launch, though I suppose moving all the base WH3 factions makes more sense for variety from RoC starts.

My bet is that if they make Skeggi an LL start it is either DLC or FLC.

E: I suppose they could move Wulfrik there to make room for Valkia, but they already kind of cleared room for her by moving Skarbrand. I'm still not actually sure whether she will be a norscan or Khorne lord, but either way moving the current leading human Norscan lord off Norsca feels weird.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 29, 2022

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I hope they turn Wulfrik's roasting of enemies into a mechanic for the Norsca rework.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Wulfrik should be close to the Empire and Brett as they're the primary focus of his ME campaigns. A touched up spawn with a chance to get situated fighting norsca/chaos further up north and a smooth ride south to your choice of HE, Brett or Empire would go over well. Or west to DE, or even east to Cathay and going full king of the frozen north? And some buffer minors and space to discourage the AI switch that says "it's free real estate!" once you meet them.

Throgg could be tossed closer to NE empire to give him roaming options and I think the king of monsters deserves a chance to fight ogres.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Youse all forgetting that Wulfriks title is "The Wanderer" boys gonna be in cathay.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
There was a rumor that Wulfrik was also moving to the "Ulthuan Theatre" with N'kari, so I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wulfrik was datamined to be somewhere near Ulthuan, and, considering that was correct about N'kari, I'm gonna guess he'll be somewhere around Skeggi or something. Throgg will probably be somewhere in Norsca proper to give the Empire and Kislev something Chaotic to deal with early on.

Otherwise, Southlands/Badlands is shaping up to be Lustriabowl 2.0: Brawlectric Boogaloo. That's gonna be fun as gently caress (unless you're playing TKs). Lustria has a bit more space, with the changes there, Lokhir inevitably going to Cathay, Teclis probably moving to the Turtle Isles, etc. I'm assuming Skrolk, Luthor, and Cylostra will still be there. I'm wondering if Thorek will be in his ME position or his Vortex start, because adding him into the Southlands Thunderdome would be hilarious, but he is really fun in his Lustria start, too.

Also, for anyone wondering why there isn't a lot of Chaos up north: we're getting the WoC changes on the last day of these reveals, who will likely all be up north, and on top of that don't forget we're getting a monogods lord pack DLC when IE releases. So there's seven LLs to sprinkle around the northern wastes, which would seem to be why CA has put a lot of the current monogods in the southern hemisphere.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm hoping one of the vampire coast characters gets moved over to the Ind to go raid the not-Indian Ocean, but there's not a lot of reason for any of the existing characters to be there. Harkon and Noctilius have hard plot reasons to be where they are, and Cylostra wants to be somewhere she can get to Ulthuan quickly to stomp elves. Maybe Aranessa?

The Demon armies not withstanding, it seems like the general pattern is that one or two LL is moving and the others are staying the same. If I had to guess, Grombindal is going to go prosecute war crimes on the elves in either Ulthuan or Naggaroth. I could see Skarsnik getting dumped off in Chorf territory just to get him unwedged between 4 major players. I could see Queek moving out east or further south too. For dark elves I bet either Malus or Lokir get moved towards Cathay, same with Snikch.

Edit, also I'm kind of hoping for a couple surprise LLs that get dropped as FreeLC for the B-C tier Subfactions. Surprise Borris Toddbringer or The Red Duke or something like that.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 29, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if they'll touch up Tomb Kings and maybe make them a bit more elite overall to differentiate then from Coast and Counts. Make their skelly squads smaller, fancier and with slightly better stats and some AP.

Justify the faction wide fire weakness(or dump it, it's outdated design by this point), give them a way to counter Skarbrand and armored Khorne early game, can balance them for campaign with the TK unit caps.

I guess keep default skeletons around but add a tier 1.5(or tier 2 and improve current TK elite infantry a bit) with limited unit cap? Could do the same for archers. Don't need a darkshard situation but some Nehekhatan Archers with mild AP do the same thing. Skarbrand isn't invincible early. Isolate him, give him the SEM focus special(debuff spells, ranged focus, anti-large hold, spike with your own SEM when they're low.) Khorne early infantry are slow but heavily armored, just need a way to punish them when they're held or kited.

Will TK chariots be enough to do that, especially early? Really excited to see TK and Coast get a WH3 glow up.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
A dev outright said that TKs need some love, if's just when they get that lovin is the question, maybe it'll be a nice surprise when the beta drops.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm hoping one of the vampire coast characters gets moved over to the Ind to go raid the not-Indian Ocean, but there's not a lot of reason for any of the existing characters to be there. Harkon and Noctilius have hard plot reasons to be where they are, and Cylostra wants to be somewhere she can get to Ulthuan quickly to stomp elves. Maybe Aranessa?

The Demon armies not withstanding, it seems like the general pattern is that one or two LL is moving and the others are staying the same. If I had to guess, Grombindal is going to go prosecute war crimes on the elves in either Ulthuan or Naggaroth. I could see Skarsnik getting dumped off in Chorf territory just to get him unwedged between 4 major players. I could see Queek moving out east or further south too. For dark elves I bet either Malus or Lokir get moved towards Cathay, same with Snikch.

Edit, also I'm kind of hoping for a couple surprise LLs that get dropped as FreeLC for the B-C tier Subfactions. Surprise Borris Toddbringer or The Red Duke or something like that.

Aranessa has lore reasons to be at Sartosa too though. Cylostra is the easiest to move IMO, but even she has reasons to stick around in the general area of the donut.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1542100583020216330?s=21&t=PwCC06t-71yyFWm4gwAtzQ

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No we aren't stopping at Khuresh, we have Khuresh at home *gestures at Nakai*

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ad090 posted:

A dev outright said that TKs need some love, if's just when they get that lovin is the question, maybe it'll be a nice surprise when the beta drops.

TK biggest problem is the early game and having enough oomph to be able to actually push over Orcs and lizards and such when your army is still like 12 cards of basic skeleton spears with no ability to spin up a secondary army for the first dozen turns. Once you start getting enough constructs to matter the problems level out some. I feel like if they upped the caps and gave you some free recruitment on Nehekaran Warriors, horse archers, and other T2 gubbins to help beef up your initial army while you tech up it would go a long way too helping them out. Give them a second generic lord from the word go or a way to unlock it in the first 4-5 turns like when they wipe out their first rival.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 29, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah as much as I love TK their early game is so rough I don't like playing them. Like, even on VH battles someone like Malekith or Mazda can just roll their starting enemies. Playing with TK vs the likes of orcs or saurus is so frustrating it's not fun. Settra's early battles will just be him and his cat grinding fifteen million savage orcs to death after the whole army crumbles. They need some quicker access to fun units.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Skarbrand wants skulls, ergo go to the land populated by walking skeletons :smuggo:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
My bet is that TK are third in line, after WoC and Norsca.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah as much as I love TK their early game is so rough I don't like playing them. Like, even on VH battles someone like Malekith or Mazda can just roll their starting enemies. Playing with TK vs the likes of orcs or saurus is so frustrating it's not fun. Settra's early battles will just be him and his cat grinding fifteen million savage orcs to death after the whole army crumbles. They need some quicker access to fun units.

It's kind of the same problem I have with the Coast. I want to love them but their early game is so rough before you have enough monsters and/or massed guns. 15 cards of mostly melee and pistol deck hands and dogs is rough. Being able to recruit a second lord right away and engage in horrible meat grinder fights to make a battle marker for the really good raise dead units helps mitigate a lot of the problems, but you still have to get to that point.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I did forget that the chaos LL DLC with 4 new lords was releasing at the same time as IE, so presumably they will be in/around the north.

Moving Wulfrik to a bit further west in Norsca, close to Rakarth's Albion start, gives him tons of launching spots to go roaming and raiding.

Also, still fairly convinced that Boris and a buff to the melee Empire options is more likely than a Nuln-themed DLC based on the RoC map, especially if they bring in Elspeth's nurgle rival for the 4-lord chaos LL pack.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ravenfood posted:

Also, still fairly convinced that Boris and a buff to the melee Empire options is more likely than a Nuln-themed DLC based on the RoC map, especially if they bring in Elspeth's nurgle rival for the 4-lord chaos LL pack.

I'm placing my bets/assumptions on the 4 Chaos Lord choices for the dlc being Skulltaker (Khorne), The Blue Scribes (Tzeentch), Epidemius (Nurgle) and The Masque (Slaanesh) because they're all effectively Herald-style choices for the factions. I would have said the Changeling for Tzeentch but they've been pushing the idea he's gonna be punching on against the Monkey King so I'll make the assumption those two flying illiterate spell-casting rascals get the pip this time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dev Q&A on the official discord today

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So what all do we think is going to happen with the warriors of chaos rework? I don't expect them to fully get a Beastmen Herdstone mechanic, and I don't think they will ever fully settle an area. Maybe give them like a wood elf style 1 slot outpost in conquered cities with a minor garrison and some sort of minor map bonus? They have to rework the horde mechanics to be more like VCoast or Beastmen, and reasons to keep the marauder ancillary units around.

Are we thinking they'll get limited, non-diplomatic access to demons units? To go along with the one slot outpost idea, give their outposts shrines to one of the chaos gods that unlocks a single limited demon recruit for each shrine placed?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I hope they turn Wulfrik's roasting of enemies into a mechanic for the Norsca rework.

Kugath's plague cauldron but you're hand-crafting insults to debuff a faction.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

TK biggest problem is the early game and having enough oomph to be able to actually push over Orcs and lizards and such when your army is still like 12 cards of basic skeleton spears with no ability to spin up a secondary army for the first dozen turns. Once you start getting enough constructs to matter the problems level out some. I feel like if they upped the caps and gave you some free recruitment on Nehekaran Warriors, horse archers, and other T2 gubbins to help beef up your initial army while you tech up it would go a long way too helping them out. Give them a second generic lord from the word go or a way to unlock it in the first 4-5 turns like when they wipe out their first rival.

I don't normally have an issue with the early game, it's pretty easy to survive until you get your second army because the AI is brain dead. It just makes the early turns boring circuits of recruiting chaff and waiting. What's lacking is some form of early AP. Skarbrand would be really annoying to deal with because he has so much mass and is overpowered as hell but he's due for a nerf at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Skarbrand would be really annoying to deal with because he has so much mass and is overpowered as hell but he's due for a nerf at some point.

As long as the LLs you can start as that have to deal with Skarbrand early can do so(hence the worries about Tomb Kings), having busted LLs is fine. I like Khorne's niche as being a terrifying thing to encounter if they survive to mid game and beyond, it's fun to pilot the busted guys from time to time(Beastmen are almost too easy but they're 1 out of 20+ factions so having the Dumb Rampage Faction is good), and balancing too aggressively for neat balance in single player efforts often dilutes anything unique and interesting about the extreme units.

If we were to take a sincere look at LL power creep in campaign we'd have to tear half the roster down and disable their late game mounts.