Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do we as buyers figure out if a special assessment is coming?

can we kick down the door to the HOA and demand minutes/finances which indicate a special assessment is coming up?

in illinois the real estate disclosures have you verify that no special assessments are planned

however, a friend of mine sold his condo after a team of engineers came to survey the building for foundation repairs (right after that florida building collapse) but before the plan/cost was revealed and he could indicate 'no' so caveat emptor

you can get special assessment insurance through your homeowners insuranec and its not very expensive, it's a good idea i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Edit: wrong doomer econ thread lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do we as buyers figure out if a special assessment is coming?

the condo is for sale

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

well poo poo, did not expect to start the day filled with seething hate

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the condo is for sale

it's a condo

Apr 7, 2003

some spicy HOA fees

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

15000 a year better buy a lot

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

hey that ugly rear end unbroken expanse of concrete isnt going to keep itself depressing as gently caress

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Pead posted:

well poo poo, did not expect to start the day filled with seething hate

lol noob

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

there are places with really high HOA fees, but because they are co-ops not condos, so the home payment is less, and/or the fees cover a lot more (my parents are in a retirement co-op, and it covers replacement of appliances, flooring, etc.). this one obviously has financial issues

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

what you don't have a doorman in your condo that wears white gloves and pushes the elevator button for you?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what the hell are you getting for 1300 a month over your mortgage to live in what looks like an office from the 70's in...pittsburgh?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bitmap posted:

what the hell are you getting for 1300 a month over your mortgage to live in what looks like an office from the 70's in...pittsburgh?

probably covers gas/water/electricity/cable/internet and a doorman.

it'll be funny to see how these condo assocations deal w the skyrocketing gas prices, maybe they'll issue a special assessment to cover the shortfall

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

repairing and maintaining a giant concrete building is also not cheap. elevators, walls, paint , tubes , pipes , ducts , windows , etc etc

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I hope it's paying to maintain that 40 year old reinforced concrete because otherwise lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

look you get access to our state of the art swimming pool! it should be repaired and ready by the end of august, if not we swear it'll be open again next summer

Apr 7, 2003

bitmap posted:

security keeps the poors out

although afaict the rich and famouos around here just live on a controlled access island in the river, a highrise condo is passe now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

look you get access to our state of the art swimming pool! it should be repaired and ready by the end of august, if not we swear it'll be open again next summer

why are pools $50k now

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/06/30/realestate/30hunt-mcquirter.html

narrator: 800k was not enough

eventually bought a duplex for just over 1.2m with help from "a gift from his father" and is renting part of it out for 6k/month

lmao

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we are probably on the same page, I have worked in tech since 2000, I've had three jobs where part of my comp was stock, and I have always treated the stock as virtual toilet paper not worth considering in any kind of planning, until / if it actually converts to hard cash.

The case where this worked out the best for me did give me money to get my rear end out of student debt and make a decent down payment on a house in 2017, but that was not at all a thing we counted on. I'd say we would have been "fine" otherwise except our original timeline was to buy a house around 2020/2021 so :lol:

but yea you have to be terminally stupid to think that unvested options are anything other than.... virtual toilet papers. I mean, I'd probably take most nonpublic tech stocks over NFTs, but that's like saying I'd take Bud Light over a literal can of piss

I don't think we're talking about turbo rich people floating debt as a generative engine; tech bros getting a 800k mortgage based on "$350K" compensation which is 50% unsellable vesting options is more the thing I am shaking my head at. Also, gently caress the turbo rich who can leverage debt as income.

lol my sister is considering a (short term) $2500/mo place off a teacher's salary because availability is so hosed here she might end up having to live somewhere dumbly opulent until something else opens up.

I pointed out this was like $1100 more than our mortgage and she gave me a black look and then I got into an argument with my wife because I didn't include taxes and insurance (which would make it merely ~$600 more than our payment. For a 3bdrm apartment in loving Rutland Vermont).

I am trying to convince her that we should just collectively buy something like this and fix it up https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/98-Blanchard-Ave-West-Rutland-VT-05777/250980462_zpid/. That place needs a bunch of work, and also looks entirely livable right now. 600 mortgage, 1000 full payment maybe? Put 1000 a month into fixing it up, STILL cheaper than the loving rental and you can do a decent amount of remediation for $12,000 in a year if we're just talking about repainting poo poo, waterproofing, etc.

I've looked at a number of properties like this, they all have issues of one kind or another but also I'm gonna be surprised if this is still for sale in 2 weeks. In 2016 this would have taken 1-2 years to sell, easy.

Honest question, how is that area of Vermont? It looks pleasant and green, and the housing costs don't seem too outrageous, and the available places kinda charming.

I've been obsessed with it since I saw Time Chasers.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

actionjackson posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/06/30/realestate/30hunt-mcquirter.html

narrator: 800k was not enough

eventually bought a duplex for just over 1.2m with help from "a gift from his father" and is renting part of it out for 6k/month

lmao

quote:

When he saw the East Hollywood duplex, he was smitten and made a $1.21 million offer — below the asking price, because the property had been on the market for months. After learning that developers had also submitted offers, he bumped his bid up to $1,217,500 and wrote what Mr. Wilson described as a “love letter” to the sellers, assuring them that he planned to keep the house a home.

And then

quote:

He’s currently renting out the property for a total of $6,000 a month, and plans to continue renting out part of it long term.

What a scumbag

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Failson posted:

Honest question, how is that area of Vermont? It looks pleasant and green, and the housing costs don't seem too outrageous, and the available places kinda charming.

Rutland is probably the worst place in Vermont to live. That's still better than a lot of places in the US, but it has all of the disadvantages of small run down cities outside of VT and few of the advantages of being in VT.

Housing in VT is also hosed because nothing has been allowed to be built in the last fifty years, so anything at the ~$300k price point is going to be from the 70s or earlier, not well maintained, and need significant repairs. Since there's nothing else at the bottom of the market, they will still sell, over asking, in about a week.

Higher up the price point we're starting to see properties sit for a bit, but those are only affordable if you have a job out of state.

If you are trying to find a house to buy in VT, you will need to use this to determine whether you will be able to get internet access at all https://vtpsd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=c47f156cef4a4db0b407333fc5dab63f. You should also investigate what the local property tax rates are as they're likely to be in the 2.3-2.6 range.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

euphronius posted:

repairing and maintaining a giant concrete building is also not cheap. elevators, walls, paint , tubes , pipes , ducts , windows , etc etc

50 apartments in that building. must be one hell of a shithole if it cost 65,000 a month to maintain.

Apr 7, 2003

bitmap posted:

50 apartments in that building. must be one hell of a shithole if it cost 65,000 a month to maintain.

It hangs down the side of a cliff, I'm sure that complicates maintenance somewhat

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Land lord is a loving funny name. The LORD of land!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Stick a fork in the market, it’s loving tanking. We had an open house today after doing a price reduction this week. One person came. We’re well under what would have been market value a few weeks ago and basically the only house on the market in the area with land that is in good shape.

Going to drop the price another 10% tomorrow and see what happens. Our agent said all her client’s properties are like this right now. No calls.

We’re still ahead on the house if we sell even with another 10% drop. Gonna be loving brutal in a month or two if we don’t sell though. I see a lot of houses in our range that haven’t changed prices and have been sitting for 30 days. And there’s pretty much nothing going pending.

The rate change looks like less of a correction than a full on panic, lol.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Lawlicaust posted:

Stick a fork in the market, it’s loving tanking. We had an open house today after doing a price reduction this week. One person came. We’re well under what would have been market value a few weeks ago and basically the only house on the market in the area with land that is in good shape.

Going to drop the price another 10% tomorrow and see what happens. Our agent said all her client’s properties are like this right now. No calls.

We’re still ahead on the house if we sell even with another 10% drop. Gonna be loving brutal in a month or two if we don’t sell though. I see a lot of houses in our range that haven’t changed prices and have been sitting for 30 days. And there’s pretty much nothing going pending.

The rate change looks like less of a correction than a full on panic, lol.

Yeah /r/RealEstate has been melting down over the current state of the market, at least you seem to have accepted that interest rates determine monthly payments which determine home prices

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Beached Whale posted:

Yeah /r/RealEstate has been melting down over the current state of the market, at least you seem to have accepted that interest rates determine monthly payments which determine home prices

I wish I could blend these into a smoothie and drink them

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I keep getting ads for the fuckoff huge condo building nearby where 2br-2ba, 1500sq ft units are $200k

But the HOA fees are like $900

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

low price, low fees, looks nice, just don't go north at all

https://www.zillow.com/homes/916-Emerson-Ave-N-.num.D-Minneapolis,-MN-55411_rb/2074156659_zpid/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

they find this guy's listing in the comments and his agent included the unfinished basement in the square footage

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Beached Whale posted:

Zero bites after our price reduction. My new employer will buy me out for whatever the home appraises at (likely another 20% off or so) so I'm probably just gonna take that and get out of here cash neutral.

Since we are having to relo, I got a preapproval in case we want to buy another home and my phone will not stop ringing because all the credit companies of course gave our information out to mortgage brokers. I have a dozen different brokers that are calling my wife and I nonstop. I'm guessing they aren't getting many sales and are getting really desperate.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Failson posted:

I've only been there 3-4 times, a couple times to rent a UHaul, and a couple times to eat out or take kiddo to the children's center there (not since COVID, sadly, we'll see how next year looks).

My gut reaction is that I like Rutland, I think it's a nice little city in a more rural part of the state, this necessarily means it has a higher percentage of lower income residents than Burlington which in turn means the property crime and hard drug use numbers for the area look worse than Burlington. The flipside is that ritzy fuckin Burlington co-ops still have needle drops in the bathrooms. That's fine with me, I think if drug abuse is a problem in an area then that area should deal with it as cleanly and humanely as possible, but my point is that I think a lot of young liberals with limited experience living outside the bubble, move to Burlington or surrounding area, drive through Rutland twice and see a couple spots they wouldn't feel safe parking at night and then proceed to spend 5 years posting on reddit.com/r/vermont about how "dangerous" and "seedy" rutland is.

I like it fine. When we're comfortable doing more poo poo inside, we'll go back, we'll take our kids, etc. No, I won't park in a random industrial area late at night and then hang around my car smoking cigarettes and shooting dirty looks at people but I wouldn't really feel safe doing that anywhere and it sounds like a boring hobby

my sister found an apartment she likes for like 1400/mo with everything which is steep for a 1 bedroom but I guess it's really nice and is allowing her cat and she's happy with it. I hope she likes the area enough to buy in in the next couple years.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

wait what the gently caress?

the person changed their 360k listing to 340k, got an offer for 325k, and thinks that's "insulting"?

seriously, the gently caress? That's basically equivalent to the negotiation we did on this place in 2017, except it's more like "that's where we landed after lowballing more and haggling a bunch". Seems completely loving normal. You wanna sell a place, someone is offering 95.58% of your asking price, and you find this insulting?

Dude has never tried to buy a magic orb from a deevil, that's for fuckin sure

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the person changed their 360k listing to 340k, got an offer for 325k, and thinks that's "insulting"?

seriously, the gently caress? That's basically equivalent to the negotiation we did on this place in 2017, except it's more like "that's where we landed after lowballing more and haggling a bunch". Seems completely loving normal. You wanna sell a place, someone is offering 95.58% of your asking price, and you find this insulting?

its insulting because everyones entitled to rising house prices (when they are selling)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lol @ the phrase "a more rural part of Vermont"

But I also haven't been since 2014 so nevermind.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

prices still high for my area

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

If he bought it in 2013, he’s likely making a substantial amount off the house even at 325k. I would assume he paid half that initially (maybe 200k at most) and at this point probably owes $100k. Taking $225k sounds great to me.

poo poo, I just want to sell the place we’re in now and make a small profit with the way the market is. I’d take $30k under my current asking without blinking because it’s gonna be way lower in 2 months.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hey it's starting to go down

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

hey it's starting to go down

jay, jayyyyyy