Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello, thread!
I am looking to buy a used car:
I'm trying to find a nice comfortable crossover/sub compact SUV, for about 20ish-thousand.
Now note, my last four cars combined are all under this price point, and after I bought my last beater my wife made me promise I'd get a nice car this time.
So this time I'm going to swing all the other way and get like a luxury car. I was looking at the NX but it's a bit too pricey.

What are thread recomendations?

Go back and read the first post then try again. You've not provided sufficient information to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What am I missing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What country are you in

How much do you plan to tow with it

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think you can buy a nice car for 20k USD anymore, unless you get a 10 year old with 150k+ miles on it and questionable reliability.

I mean, look, this wrecked Bronco Sport is 17k

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My totaled tacoma was auctioned for 25k

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HootTheOwl posted:

What am I missing?

The template in the first post.

Also you're asking for recommendations in the largest single segment of vehicles being made. Last I checked there's at least 27, probably more than 30 different small CUV type vehicles being sold today and you're giving us no info to recommend one of those outside of your budget. If you're going to be camping on forest trails, or just inner city commuting, that kind of information influences the recommendation.

If you're not sure, go to CarMax, who generally has a very large number of good condition late model used cars and look around at everything they have for sale and see which vehicles tickle your fancy.

Failing that, buy the nicest Toyota RAV4 you can afford. Other thread favorites are the Honda CR-V, and the Mazda CUV lineup. Avoid: Nissan anything, Chevy/GMC. If you have to have something with a luxury badge, you can't really go wrong with a Lexus.

Mustache Ride posted:

I don't think you can buy a nice car for 20k USD anymore, unless you get a 10 year old with 150k+ miles on it and questionable reliability.

I mean, look, this wrecked Bronco Sport is 17k

It's a little harder, you may have to look at less popular models, or lower trim level models, or shop around for a while. There's several 2016 to 2018 RAV4 LE's and XLE's between 70 and 90K miles for 20K or less within 150 miles of me.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 29, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
20k used to be a nice mass market late model/off lease or well used luxury as near as 2 years ago. Now it's competing in the working-car-today market.

Given the turmoil it's helpful to have a full definition of what's important to you because you're going to have to compromise in some way if you aren't made of money so we aren't just looking for more info arbitrarily. If we take you literally at your word you're probably looking for whatever Lexus UX or NX you can fit under your price point and it's probably going to be old and eat money despite being a Toyota.

The most generic recommendation is compact crossovers are too small/harder to use than hatchbacks, and full-size SUVs are giant truck wannabes that are inferior to minivans and pickups except for very specific camping uses so you probably want to be looking for compact SUV (CUV) type crossovers in which case you can find the nicest Rav 4, CR-V, or CX-5 you can manage in your price point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How does Nissan keep making garbage cars but manages to stay in business

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Nissan is a high risk auto loan finance company that happens to make cars.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hadlock posted:

I think they are still coasting on the sheer financial wizardry/ill poo poo of Carlos Ghosn.

Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi is somehow one of the biggest market share of a single entity. But have you ever met a person who bought one of these makes on purpose?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sorry, I went through the OP when I made the first post but I mishandled it:
Proposed Budget: ~20k USD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 doors + hatch. I want to put a child in the back seat and groceries in the trunk.
How will you be using the car?: Short commuting
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, and reliability. I have an eye on mpg which is why I'm looking at smaller cars.
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. I live in the US, near chicago

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zedprime posted:

I think they are still coasting on the sheer financial wizardry/ill poo poo of Carlos Ghosn.

Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi is somehow one of the biggest market share of a single entity. But have you ever met a person who bought one of these makes on purpose?

I did it twice in a row. I'm better now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Congratulations on your used Prius.

Explosionface posted:

I did it twice in a row. I'm better now.
If you told me you woke up with a Leaf in your driveway and a vaguely threatening letter about your grandma's mortgage I'd believe you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Sorry, I went through the OP when I made the first post but I mishandled it:
Body Style: 4 doors + hatch. I want to put a child in the back seat and groceries in the trunk.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, and reliability. I have an eye on mpg which is why I'm looking at smaller cars.
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. I live in the US, near chicago

I would suggest starting with a Prius and working from there. If the Prius doesn't fit the bill, it will give you some parameters for clarifying alternatives.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Their mass-market mediocre crossover is packing a variable-compression engine cranking out 134 hp/liter, that's pretty cool and would have blown my mind a decade ago.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The Qashqai (Rogue Sport) sells in huge numbers. It has been the best selling CUV in UK for many years. Something like 3 million of those things have sold in Europe total.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah every car max lot I've been to is a handful of quality cars and 4.5 acres of Nissan Rogue/Infinity QX50/60/70/80 in every color imaginable

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I feel like a large amount of Nissan sales are just rental companies with customers who don’t care enough to ask/pay extra for a specific brand

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

I personally am very interested in maybe buying a Honda Civic at some point in the next year or two if the market improves, it's on my short list of cars I'm interested in and it meets all your criteria.

It's not a luxury car, but I read what you said about your current and previous cars being beaters, so I want to really stress this:

Go test drive modern "economy" cars like the Honda Civic.

They are very, very nice compared to, say, a 10 or 20 year old version being driven today.

You can't buy a "luxury" car for 20k but you can buy a new small car and, compared to an old car it will be luxurious and not so small.

Edit: Ok so a Civic is more like $25k, I don't know what to tell you, that's just where prices are now.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My friend just bought a new Civic. They're quite nice inside after the recent new generation refresh.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Wrote off my older civic and I’m looking for a newer one but I’m just a not knowledgeable at all and the thought of going to a used dealer gives me anxiety but I did find something local that is pretty close to what I was thinking.

https://www.cowvalleyautos.com/vehicles/2014/honda/civic-sedan/duncan/bc/54376305/?sale_class=used

What’s a reasonable ask for this car under the current market conditions? 15000 cad before taxes and dealer fees seems a bit insane but then again I don’t know poo poo. Is there any wiggle room at the moment? A friend of mine who is relatively knowledgeable recommended offering 12-13. Should I demand that they let me bring in someone to inspect it? The only noteable thing I can see on the carfax report an $1100 repair to the front end in 2016. I’d be just buying it outright in cash if that matters.

I’m just trying to get my bearings before I go down there and start stuttering like a moron. I kinda hate car stuff 😐

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the average used car buyer for a middle aged normal economy car has like negative market power right now so you probably can't do poo poo

you should try to get a PPI at least, they will maybe agree to that. but you are not going to get them to move on price. that car sells itself.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the average used car buyer for a middle aged normal economy car has like negative market power right now so you probably can't do poo poo

you should try to get a PPI at least, they will maybe agree to that. but you are not going to get them to move on price. that car sells itself.

That was kind of the answer I was expecting but was hoping not to get. I couldn’t have picked a worse possible time to wreck my vehicle goddamnit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drowningidiot posted:

That was kind of the answer I was expecting but was hoping not to get. I couldn’t have picked a worse possible time to wreck my vehicle goddamnit.

If you had the budget to pay cash for this one, it could be a better deal to buy an 8 year newer 2022 Civic new for $10k more, with new car incentive financing? You'd get a bigger, better, more efficient car too. With brand new tires.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

Between my wife and I we've owned three Nissans that have all been great. 99 Maxima GLE that was really nice, 98 Altima that made it over 260k problem free miles before I sold it, and currently 120k miles on a 2014 Nissan Versa Note that's honestly been great for us. Engine is fairly gutless getting up to speed on the Versa, but the great gas mileage has been awesome, especially going coast to coast last year.

Granted, sample size of one, but all our Nissans have been pretty great vehicles for us.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nissans are mostly fine but are never the best choice in their segment. There are always several better options, but several worse ones too, but Nissan will finance anyone with a pulse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

Nissan will finance anyone with a pulse.

brb getting a gtr

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I kinda like the frontier… but the ranger seems like a better value

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Change of plans yall,

I'm having a third life crisis and ive changed my ways and now want to buy an EV for my ~30th birthday next week. My new limit is 40k

Can anyone bombard me with good EV choices that arent tesla? Should I buy a Polestar 2?

#clarity #mindset #money

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 30, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
For 40k? That gets you the base model Ioniq 5 if you can get it at MSRP (hah)

edit: I see you're looking for used. The market on these are gonna be super inflated

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

For 40k? That gets you the base model Ioniq 5 if you can get it at MSRP (hah)

edit: I see you're looking for used. The market on these are gonna be super inflated

actually, new

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

lmbo calrissian posted:

actually, new

For 50k now you can buy a Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, yes people like the Polestar so far, umm what else. Kia Niro or Hyundai Kona for a little bit less advanced vehicles (much slower charging, based upon gas vehicles). Selection is gonna limited as supply chain shortages / demand and all that. GM Bolt and Bolt EUV are gonna be under that by a lot actually. Don't buy a brand new Nissan Leaf IMO.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
What if I said I didn't want any soy boy beta cuck cars, thoroughly eliminating hyundai

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Isn't the polestar made in China?
If Hyundai bothers you (it shouldn't) that should. Volvo has had a massive QC decline (and it wasn't that great before) when they moved sedan production to china.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

lmbo calrissian posted:

What if I said I didn't want any soy boy beta cuck cars, thoroughly eliminating hyundai

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

What if he wants a car with a modicum of build quality and quality control?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nm posted:

What if he wants a car with a modicum of build quality and quality control?

TOUGH poo poo

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The answer is buy a Prius.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
this all seems like a great argument to just go with ICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal