Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

𝄩

Also I need to question their methodology. Something tells me they are discounting places like China

China is probably mostly lumped into Unaffiliated which is sorta true.

The data is sourced form the 2015 World Factbook. Here's the 2021 estimate for China:

quote:

folk religion 21.9%, Buddhist 18.2%, Christian 5.1%, Muslim 1.8%, Hindu < 0.1%, Jewish < 0.1%, other 0.7% (includes Daoist (Taoist)), unaffiliated 52.1% (2021 est.)
https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/china/#people-and-society

Which sorta tracks. The difference between "folk religion" and "unaffiliated" is an odd line because there's arguably some level of overlap between the two where a bunch of people in both groups do the same sorts of things, but one considers themselves religious and another doesn't, but :shrug:

Xelkelvos has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The numbers match up reasonably well with the percentages on wikipedia, if you split "Chinese traditional religion" into part "folk religion" and part "Buddhism" (which is sorta accurate). It seems unclear to me which category organized, minor religions like Sikhism are supposed to go - they're neither unaffiliated nor folk religions - but based on the numbers it seems like they're all lumped into "unaffiliated." "Unaffiliated" is a weird term for it; they really oughta have a "nonreligious" category and an "other" category instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The plot on the left is fine. Not sure why they felt a need to make the one on the right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

The plot on the left is fine. Not sure why they felt a need to make the one on the right.

That's impressively useless, I like how the color coding just arbitrarily changes between the two and the 3D representation actively makes the temperature component more confusing by introducing unnecessary visual information.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

The numbers match up reasonably well with the percentages on wikipedia, if you split "Chinese traditional religion" into part "folk religion" and part "Buddhism" (which is sorta accurate). It seems unclear to me which category organized, minor religions like Sikhism are supposed to go - they're neither unaffiliated nor folk religions - but based on the numbers it seems like they're all lumped into "unaffiliated." "Unaffiliated" is a weird term for it; they really oughta have a "nonreligious" category and an "other" category instead.

Pew research has a similar breakdown with other comprising .8%. Sikhism has a decent online profile but if you're going to call it out as unique you probably should be splitting out Christian into half a dozen categories and measuring Sunni vs. Shiite Muslims.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i would just split it into "correct" and "incorrect" religions and save everybody a bunch of trouble. makes the graphic design easier too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sikhs are cool and have good food.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Presumably there's also the mess of Shinto vs. Buddhist in Japan where almost everyone is both with some small exception. The CIA factbook lists both in the country section with a note on the overlap and the percentage adding up to more than 100%. Idk how they treat it for the world stats though beyond just splitting the difference since the total amount of people wouldn't be little more than a percent.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Tree Goat posted:

i would just split it into "correct" and "incorrect" religions and save everybody a bunch of trouble. makes the graphic design easier too

I could save even more time by labeling them all "fiction"

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://twitter.com/minouye271/status/1538860696854831104?t=1VGk9JUEyCtfMnx5zgB7Jg&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Now look it's very important to not assume causation here, we don't know if age is causing age to increase, or if it's age that causes age to increase, or if there's some third thing that somehow increases both age and age

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I assume it's 'feminine/masculine' and not 'feminine'/'masculine'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I assume it's 'feminine/masculine' and not 'feminine'/'masculine'

Then explain those words existing as separate lines on the right.

e: Oh you were making the opposite point. My bad.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jun 23, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Then explain those words existing as separate lines on the right.
FTM: "I am masculine"
MTF: "I am feminine"
NB: "I am feminine/masculine"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Can't deny it's a pie chart I guess

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I dislike that lime key pie chart

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Creation
not to scale

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

How is Jabal the "father of nomadic shepherds" if he's pre-Noah, and hence all his descendants died in the Flood? Do they just mean that he invented the idea of nomadic shepherding? Why the distinction between "father" and "inventor"?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DontMockMySmock posted:

How is Jabal the "father of nomadic shepherds" if he's pre-Noah, and hence all his descendants died in the Flood? Do they just mean that he invented the idea of nomadic shepherding? Why the distinction between "father" and "inventor"?

It's shocking, but this part of the Bible isn't considered historically accurate.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

So did Enoch die and come back to life 3 times until his 4th death when he stayed in heaven?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/mrwbw/status/1541306011243495424

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Unperson_47 posted:

So did Enoch die and come back to life 3 times until his 4th death when he stayed in heaven?

:iiam:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

no

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Why doesn't Seth get his own line?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
He’s clearly just Abel 2.0. Also the Bronze Age did not exist.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Unperson_47 posted:

Some theologians/eschatologists believe that Enoch and Elijah ascended into heaven and are still alive and that they will return as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_witnesses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why would it matter if they're alive or dead if Jesus can just zap them through the revolving door of life and death?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Outrail posted:

Why would it matter if they're alive or dead if Jesus can just zap them through the revolving door of life and death?

It would matter quite a lot to them, because they were both Jewish. :ssh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/HobbesQ/status/1541955453806157824

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm the 1000+ bumbags

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I'm shitshit

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm the 1000+ bumbags

I'm rude dipstick

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm the 1000+ bumbags
That's just the British people.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
"Wankclown", "libsucker", and "dirthat" surprisingly underrepresented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just consider this to be like that WW2 survivor bias chart and adjust your posting accordingly.