Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

does how long it takes really indicate anything

they released the roe decision early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just say it!! say EPA is over. I can’t take the wait anymore

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Zokari posted:

That was leaked and probably influenced when they released opinion

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Brogeoisie posted:

Does it have to be tomorrow? Or did we determine if can be a mic drop on friday

Friday is officially the last day of the term

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zokari posted:

They usually wait to the end for the most momentous decisions. Roe was huge obviously but if they actually follow through and kill the EPA then that’s actually even huger because it means they’re willing to just end vast regulatory agencies and make entirely toothless whole titles of federal law. If they kill EPA they’re signaling they’re willing to just eliminate things like department of education to just strike down all of title IX for example

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Brunch has started. BBL

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whats in that garage? 5 man detail for a camaro?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the epa is dead? im just now hearing this

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mags posted:

We don’t know yet. Cowards won’t release the stupid opinion

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

mags posted:

tomorrow

https://www.supremecourt.gov/publicinfo/press/pressreleases/pr_06-29-22

Happy birthday America! :toot:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1542146404591800323

5-4 with Gorsuch joining the libs - I don’t think this is surprising

I'm dumb and not understanding this.

Does this mean that tribes can only try cases if both the victim and the accused are Native?

err
Apr 11, 2005

American leftists are the most beaten down individuals on the planet. Decades of intelligence agencies causing fear in leftist organizations and kneecapping social movements and organization efforts.

Amazing to me that just a few days after the ruling everything is back to normal and even complaining on Twitter about the ruling has dried up.

And we are getting another horrific ruling tomorrow.

This poo poo is dire.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'm dumb and not understanding this.

Does this mean that tribes can only try cases if both the victim and the accused are Native?

McGirt was a big win for tribal sovereignty and this claws some of it back. This allows the state government to assert jurisdiction in a number of cases that by Oklahoma’s interpretation of the previous ruling needed to be handled by federal authorities

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

McGirt was a big win for tribal sovereignty and this claws some of it back. This allows the state government to assert jurisdiction in a number of cases that by Oklahoma’s interpretation of the previous ruling needed to be handled by federal authorities

ah yeah that seems bad

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

err posted:

Brunch has started. BBL

Now imagine WHEN they make it illegal to be gay again. People having brunch while their friends are being sent to the electric chair for being in a gay marriage, put on the fast track to it, and fried in two months.

It really worries me how little Americans care about their fellows suffering.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

ah yeah that seems bad

Part of it is that the federal court system doesn’t really want to handle (and isn’t resourced to handle) a bunch of criminal cases that the states would usually just take care of outside of tribal lands. So some of it is just that. It’s actually not as bad as it could be because the line up change between 5-4 McGirt and 5-4 now is RBG being replaced by ACB. So Roberts was in the dissent in McGirt and if they wanted to they could have reversed the entire thing

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Covok posted:

It really worries me how little Americans care about their fellows suffering.

It's interesting. I grew up in Trump county, and indeed most of my family is still in that bucket. They care a lot about the suffering of their fellows, but they disagree about who is suffering, and for what reasons. Changing those ideas requires an impossible amount of deprogramming.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

err posted:

Amazing to me that just a few days after the ruling everything is back to normal and even complaining on Twitter about the ruling has dried up.

:yooge: DO SOMETHING!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

titty_baby_ posted:

I can't wait till the Republicans immediately overturn the filibuster tje first time the dems try to use it and when people ask why they didn't do that the 2 years they had the senate they shrug and say "decorum"

The democrats don’t have the votes to legalize abortion so the filibuster serves the useful purpose of providing them cover for not holding a vote and exposing the lie that the party considers women’s health care a bedrock issue.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I know someone said the right wants to recreate feudalism but feudalistic cultures that were remotely successful had socially reinforced cultural expectations of duty and honor codes on the part of the nobility/warrior class and the modern bastion of American conservatives equivalent to the minor noble class, the American warrior cop, would rather die of plague than endure inconvenience or risk getting shot while children are being executed.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Goddamn it stop edging me SCOTUS and kill the regulatory state

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

to play devil's advocate, what about the argument that they don't have the votes to pass anything because of manchin?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Then hold the vote anyway and put his rear end on blast you cowards

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I know someone said the right wants to recreate feudalism but feudalistic cultures that were remotely successful had socially reinforced cultural expectations of duty and honor codes on the part of the nobility/warrior class and the modern bastion of American conservatives equivalent to the minor noble class, the American warrior cop, would rather die of plague than endure inconvenience or risk getting shot while children are being executed.

The idea of the warrior code is a romantic era fiction that has not in any single feudal society actually held true when the chips were down, op

knights and samurai were just as huge cowards then as cops are now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TehSaurus posted:

It's interesting. I grew up in Trump county, and indeed most of my family is still in that bucket. They care a lot about the suffering of their fellows, but they disagree about who is suffering, and for what reasons. Changing those ideas requires an impossible amount of deprogramming.

Yeah I'm going to engage in some unwarranted sympathy for the chuds and say that a lot of them are basically capable of empathy in theory, but their ideology and interests prevent them from actually exercising it. Compare the libs who were briefly genuinely horrified by policy brutality, but then the party line shifted back to the norm and they got spooked by a largely fictitious crime wave and whoops all down the memory hole

err
Apr 11, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Goddamn it stop edging me SCOTUS and kill the regulatory state

Can't wait for 50 separate state governments enacting their own regulatory policy addressing climate change.

Florida about to authorize oil wells in the Everglades.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

Are these on actual tribal land reserved/held in trust, or just land the tribe owns? Since weed is still federally illegal cultivation/sales on tribal land are still a de facto no unless the bia/dea has changed their policies since I last heard

Idk man I just know they sell weed lol

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
At this point, I'm just wondering how long it'll be until they decide that going off the gold standard was illegal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TehSaurus posted:

Then hold the vote anyway and put his rear end on blast you cowards

what is that going to accomplish exactly

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

like you gotta remember that cops absolutely do talk a big game about having HONOR and DUTY and love to pretend they’re some kind of warrior monks whose unflinching discipline is the only thing holding back the brown hordes that would pilfer society, and we all know its a fuckin joke because we can see every day how utterly incapable they are of living up to what they pretend to be. do you really think sir walter taintsbrook in 1300 ad was any better about sticking to his propagandized standards?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Kreeblah posted:

At this point, I'm just wondering how long it'll be until they decide that going off the gold standard was illegal.

Let's do it, it can't be worse than what we have now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol my mother's entire career has been working for the federal regulatory apparatus and she's always voted for the hardest right Republican she can because :byodame: taxes

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

actionjackson posted:

what is that going to accomplish exactly

I believe Democrats would get more voter engagement if they tried to do things instead of just throwing up their hands and going "lol???"

It's academic of course. It's all just shouting into the void at this point.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Let's do it, it can't be worse than what we have now.

it would actually be very bad in an immediate sense because gold is inherently deflationary, meaning all of your debt effectively grows every year on top of the interest! that’s why we got rid of it in the first place, farmers were taking out seasonal loans to prepare their farms and still couldn’t pay them back even with high yield harvests, because the dollar price of their crops got smaller and smaller but their loans were still the same amount. in other words: lmao if you think paying off student debt is hard now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

it would actually be very bad in an immediate sense because gold is inherently deflationary, meaning all of your debt effectively grows every year on top of the interest! that’s why we got rid of it in the first place, farmers were taking out seasonal loans to prepare their farms and still couldn’t pay them back even with high yield harvests, because the dollar price of their crops got smaller and smaller but their loans were still the same amount. in other words: lmao if you think paying off student debt is hard now
Correct, and furthermore in a deflationary environment the most logical thing to do with any spare cash you have is hoard it indefinitely. Why spend a dollar today when it'll be worth more tomorrow? This applies to businesses as well, there becomes minimal incentive to invest and grow a business rather than simply hoarding excess liquidity. What happens to a capitalist economy when people with money stop spending it? :thunk:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The idea of the warrior code is a romantic era fiction that has not in any single feudal society actually held true when the chips were down, op

knights and samurai were just as huge cowards then as cops are now

Yes, it's often bullshit but in most military/warrior societies, even today, there's a strong emphasis on duty and self-sacrifice reinforced informally and formally. Even the US military still has some of that, an infantry troop in a combat would actually be expected and would be punished if they failed to follow an order that would probably kill them unless it was clear the order was very stupid or counterproductive to the unit as a whole.

While many nobles obviously just abuse their position like any other elite caste, Japanese samurai did sometimes actually literally stab themselves to death for the sake of honor codes, and I'm sure many or maybe most of their European counterparts honestly believed and acted upon the belief that willingness to face death was the flip side of their privileged, and enforced that on other nobles.

American cops and courts on the other hand explicitly reject the idea that cops and any police paramilitary force should ever not prioritize themselves their safety over the mission, their comrades, or civilians, which is very funny to me given their self-perception.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

People forget just how extremely bitchmade most law enforcement in the United States is. Despite the whole BLM protests being ultimately ineffective, from the perspective of the police despite being equipped heavier than most Navy SEALs and having institutional support and near total legal immunity for their actions against protests and riots that were almost always poorly armed and organized, they were utterly terrified and quitting rates went through the roof.

Dorner a just one capable lone "insurgent" overwhelmed pretty much all the departments in the entire southern California region during the couple of weeks he was active sniping and ambushing cops in the city.

The tiny upside of the absurd legal protections cops have enjoyed means that they're totally unable to enforce the discipline and instill an actual military-like culture required to make an effective force, which makes them utterly non-functional and bitchmade whenever they act as a paramilitary force at scale.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes, it's often bullshit but in most military/warrior societies, even today, there's a strong emphasis on duty and self-sacrifice reinforced informally and formally. Even the US military still has some of that, an infantry troop in a combat would actually be expected and would be punished if they failed to follow an order that would probably kill them unless it was clear the order was very stupid or counterproductive to the unit as a whole.

While many nobles obviously just abuse their position like any other elite caste, Japanese samurai did sometimes actually literally stab themselves to death for the sake of honor codes, and I'm sure many or maybe most of their European counterparts honestly believed and acted upon the belief that willingness to face death was the flip side of their privileged, and enforced that on other nobles.

American cops and courts on the other hand explicitly reject the idea that cops and any police paramilitary force should ever not prioritize themselves their safety over the mission, their comrades, or civilians, which is very funny to me given their self-perception.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
There was an EPA effort post that I saw somewhere in C-spam about why the EPA ruling is so important/ is the beginning of the end. Any chance someone has it saved somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm told that the modern understanding of Bushido was embellished/fabricated by Nitobe Inazo to make samurai look more appealing to western culture.