Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
100 pages! Thanks for being part of the thread, everyone :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Somebody please talk me out of buying a 351v, I just bought a miyoo mini

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want a Miyoo but I can’t justify it because I love my 351V too much. Super comfy to hold, I just wish they’d release a more powerful chipset and cut back on the bezels.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The 351v is my favorite handheld out of the ones I own.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah, I like it a lot. Much nicer feeling controls and build quality than the RP2+. I wish it could have a bit bigger screen for more readable text in certain games but it’s aces at PS1 and below

The display is loving great

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

flavor.flv posted:

It will be more comfortable for longish sessions of demanding platformers, I can tell you that much.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You are all doing the exact opposite of what I asked

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Do you actually have a use case for the 351v? Are there any scenarios where you feel like you would actually want something almost-but-not-quite-pocket-sized, or games which you would play on it that you wouldn't play on your miyoo?

The questions I find myself asking these days when I consider buying a new device are:
A) what would I play on it which I can't play just as well on something I already own?
B) when would I play that?

If you're in a position where the miyoo is good for throwing in your bag and playing short burst stuff while you're waiting at the dentists or on the subway, but you find it too small to want to play something longform, then do you actually want a 351v to play Earthbound or w/e on while you're knocking about the house, or could you just play that on something plugged into your TV and have a better experience?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

flavor.flv posted:

The biggest problem with the Miyoo Mini is the semi-usable shoulder buttons, and the RG351V is a mediocre solution to that (better than the Miyoo Mini but still below average overall). If you have a Miyoo Mini then you've already got the nostalgic DMG-style thing covered, so you might as well focus on ergonomics for a second device.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

sethsez posted:

If you have a Miyoo Mini then you've already got the nostalgic DMG-style thing covered, so you might as well focus on ergonomics for a second device.

Yup - it’s a whole different price category (and availability) but now I’ve got my Odin I really see no case for anything other than that and my Mini, so the few others I have are going on eBay. Mini is the ultra-portable and for playing games that suits its form factor, and the Odin covers literally everything else without compromise.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

btw AmberELEC just had a new full release yesterday, lot's of changes and improvements.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

351V does RTC where miyoo mini does not. Didn't see it mentioned here so I figured I'd mention it here.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My device path was 351p -> steam deck, which fortunately means I got to avoid the whole buying 5 devices that do the same thing phase. Though it's still tempting when I see some of the new ones, I just need to remind myself that they don't do anything that my existing devices can't.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Dramicus posted:

My device path was 351p -> steam deck, which fortunately means I got to avoid the whole buying 5 devices that do the same thing phase. Though it's still tempting when I see some of the new ones, I just need to remind myself that they don't do anything that my existing devices can't.

Same path and this is too true. I keep being tempted to get the Miyoo Mini but I don't need it at all

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I got the RGB10 Max then the Deck. But still, some of these devices look really sweet…

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCL3tqjCDnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05jouP8mYME

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
This thread is lovely, congrats on 100 pages! :toot:

I'm such a sucker for cool as heck handhelds of dubious quality. Can you please suggest?

• price - $50-90
  • small is cool, but maybe not like game boy micro size. something I can throw in my purse and just have. vertical or horizontal, as long as it's not too cramped
  • battery life real important. hold a charge for a while, run for many hours. kinda like the little Mario/Zelda anniversary handhelds
  • I don't really have a computer but I could borrow room mates' for a few min to update firmware or whatever. I know some of these come with a billion roms out of the box, but idk if that just the super cheap bitboys or if they all do. and if so, it would be cool to have all manner of systems ready to go. doubt there's any system out there that ships with a bunch of PlayStation roms though. Then again, China.
  • really only looking to play up to PlayStation. if it could do PlayStation it would be great and if less, that's ok too.
  • Goku
  • I wanna get a steamdecky later this year because I am super amped for net/wifi/?-play with someone with their own device in the same room, roms and such. keeping this in mind, I'm mainly looking for something for solo play, as opposed to something with wifi. Bluetooth would be a nice bonus tho
Ok byeee

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I'm such a sucker for cool as heck handhelds of dubious quality. Can you please suggest?

• price - $50-90
  • small is cool, but maybe not like game boy micro size. something I can throw in my purse and just have. vertical or horizontal, as long as it's not too cramped
  • battery life real important. hold a charge for a while, run for many hours. kinda like the little Mario/Zelda anniversary handhelds
  • I don't really have a computer but I could borrow room mates' for a few min to update firmware or whatever. I know some of these come with a billion roms out of the box, but idk if that just the super cheap bitboys or if they all do. and if so, it would be cool to have all manner of systems ready to go. doubt there's any system out there that ships with a bunch of PlayStation roms though. Then again, China.
  • really only looking to play up to PlayStation. if it could do PlayStation it would be great and if less, that's ok too.
  • Goku
  • I wanna get a steamdecky later this year because I am super amped for net/wifi/?-play with someone with their own device in the same room, roms and such. keeping this in mind, I'm mainly looking for something for solo play, as opposed to something with wifi. Bluetooth would be a nice bonus tho
Ok byeee

For solo play and good pocketability, I'd have to go with Miyoo Mini. Shoulder buttons aren't great for anything action heavy, but fine for occasionally helping get through menus faster, etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

• price - $50-90
  • Goku
Ok byeee

You want either the Miyoo Mini or Anbernic 351P.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

They're cheap enough buy both and re-sell the one you like least.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

You want either the Miyoo Mini or Anbernic 351P.
Right now for a short time the Anbernic RG351V is on sale for $88 plus shipping and the 351P is on sale for $82, between the two I'd say go for the 351V but once you add shipping both will be above $90

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

It lives and dies on price. If it’s under $300 they’ll sell a pile of them. Also the fact that it _exists_ while lots others are just vapor. Once I see how it handles SteamOS I might check it out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

beep-beep car is go posted:

It lives and dies on price. If it’s under $300 they’ll sell a pile of them. Also the fact that it _exists_ while lots others are just vapor. Once I see how it handles SteamOS I might check it out.

The price is a big factor, certainly. But if they are actually available to be bought before 2023 will make a difference too. I think people would be willing to accept a slightly higher price if availability is sufficient.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Depends. If it’s only a couple hundred under something like an Aya Neo? Go with the Aya Neo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Depends. If it’s only a couple hundred under something like an Aya Neo? Go with the Aya Neo

Aya's lower end upcoming Neo Air Plus is I think $280 with a much better chip (the Intel 1215), the Win600's entire pitch is "it's out and you can buy it". Though you could also add "and you don't need to decipher Aya's product lineup" to that because jesus christ.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I was disappointed with Russ’ GameCube performance. I hope it gets better with tweaks or CFW but the OOBE was poor.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm having surgery at the end of the month so I need to lay still and game. But I'm trying to get on disability so I'm insanely broke.

These sale anbernic products look super cool. If I can, I'll get either the 351V or 351P. Honestly I don't know the difference between them. Is the 351MP any good? The shoulder buttons look cool. There's too many of these devices! Plus hell the Retroid 2+ looks good and cheap

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The 351 series are basically all the same - the M/P/MP are very similar but have minor differences like 1 SD card slot vs 2, wifi and screen res. and uh, a metal body in the case of the M. The V is effectively a P, but vertical and lacking a right analogue stick.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

kirbysuperstar posted:

The 351 series are basically all the same - the M/P/MP are very similar but have minor differences like 1 SD card slot vs 2, wifi and screen res. and uh, a metal body in the case of the M. The V is effectively a P, but vertical and lacking a right analogue stick.

And with a proper 4:3 display instead of a lower-res 3:2 one.

Honestly I'd say the 351V and 351MP are the best of the bunch since the both have really solid 640x480 screens (the rest of the 351 range is 480x320, great for GBA but iffy for everything else), with the 351V being cheaper, plastic, vertical, with one analog stick and internal wifi, while the 351MP is more expensive, metal, horizontal, with two analog sticks and no internal wifi (but a dongle works fine and it comes with one).

Of all of 'em I find the 351V the easiest to recommend.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I need to lay still and game.

I personally find the rg351mp to be a little heavy to comfortably use in bed for long stretches. Meanwhile the rg351v is lighter but has loud, clicky buttons that might annoy the heck out of anyone else in the room. I would solidly recommend the rgb10 max 2 instead for this, but it's more expensive. It's super comfy for bed play though. Otherwise the rg351p might be the best compromise, particularly if you're a GBA fan. The RP2+ may be a good buy too, especially if you want more power for some newer systems. I don't have either the rg351p or RP2+ personally & can't speak to their downsides.

Personally I would *not* recommend the Miyoo Mini in your case - its chief benefit is its small size & pocketability, but it seems that's not what you want one for. It's probably too small for what you want.

quote:

it would be cool to have all manner of systems ready to go

This might be a problem though. I'm coming from the perspective of an enthusiast with my scraped rom collection on my PC, and the first thing I do is chuck the SD card these things come with in a box and put the newest CFW on a fresh Sandisk in it. I can't speak to the experience of any of these out-of-the-box using whatever games they come with.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 29, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was disappointed with Russ’ GameCube performance. I hope it gets better with tweaks or CFW but the OOBE was poor.

He's saying it's much better on Batocera, though I feel like installing a dedicated emulation OS kinda defeats the point of a handheld PC. Though again I assume he's using his boot USB drive which is where that USB-A port on it could really come in handy.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1541999619361517568

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

ETA Prime install SteamOS on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mcSdte-NPQ

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
poo poo. You guys are freaking on it . Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm just gonna keep my pick simple with the M/V/MP and do some youtubin' now.

I don't know if my partner wants to get one of these ever (she's super diehard about the Steamsldeck) so I don't know if I would use/need any internal wifi, though an adapter might suffice. Come to think of it, would any of these have cross compatibility with that device? If so I'd probably get the one with internal wifi cuz that would be crazy cool. Then again, better screen is good...and I'm back at square 1. It's YouTube time I guess :hchatter:

edit: probably down to the MP and the V at this point

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 29, 2022

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'd put my vote in for the V, the MP is just way too heavy for something you're wanting to hold for potentially an hour or two at a time.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
This is probably asking a lot of these cheaper units, but seeing it stream Uncharted...is there a way I can stream FFXIV from a PS5? Lol. (Right now I am nearing the trigger on the 351M although the crappier resolution is killing me decision- wise.)

edit: I mean mp

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 29, 2022

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Heavy can't matter too much in a device this size, right? I can play a switch in bed for a long while and it's ok. I don't really want the metal case, but I think the MP calls my name, and it has the better resolution.

But then I see the RG503 in that list for a few bucks more and I'm like, drat. But I ain't playing that game cuz I know how it ends. I'm trying to keep it pretty cheap.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Wow, those analogue sticks on the Win600 look like they would loving murder your hands, being right down there on the bottom corners like that.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
They're not great on the RG552 - right stick in particular is extremely hard to use - so I wouldn't try and play many FPS games on it. I'm sure it'll be tolerable for movement or broad camera movement but nothing more involved.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

This is probably asking a lot of these cheaper units, but seeing it stream Uncharted...is there a way I can stream FFXIV from a PS5? Lol. (Right now I am nearing the trigger on the 351M although the crappier resolution is killing me decision- wise.)

edit: I mean mp

You’d want one built on Android rather than Linux if you want to run remote play for ps4/5. I set it up on my RP2+ but it’s honestly pretty underwhelming and wasn’t worth the effort it took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Wow, those analogue sticks on the Win600 look like they would loving murder your hands, being right down there on the bottom corners like that.

yeah the Win600 looks wildly uncomfortable