Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Official tweet: https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1541768376355196934

and the official website has been updated: https://persona.atlus.com/series/portal/us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think atlus is just weird

It's gotta be some weird legal red tape behind the scenes, otherwise they've just been ignoring the quickest way to make a ton of money for years for no reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's gotta be some weird legal red tape behind the scenes, otherwise they've just been ignoring the quickest way to make a ton of money for years for no reason.

this is a company that had the definitive version of one of their most popular games be a Vita exclusive for years, and then release only on Vita and PC, and not like, the PS4. i think they're just weirdos

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hey now, you could also buy a PSTV and play it on the TV too. If you could find a PSTV anywhere that wasn't a scalper.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There was a point where PSTVs were super loving cheap because they couldn't give them away. I kinda wish I'd picked one up then. :eng99:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Now I just wish they'd put Persona 1 and 2 on modern hardware with some fixes and better localization.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

There was a point where PSTVs were super loving cheap because they couldn't give them away. I kinda wish I'd picked one up then. :eng99:

I still have mine if you want it. I got it when they were cheap like that back in 2017 to play P4G.

The big expense is having to keep buying storage cards for it. They were pricy even back then, I imagine they're more expensive now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

NikkolasKing posted:

I still have mine if you want it. I got it when they were cheap like that back in 2017 to play P4G.

The big expense is having to keep buying storage cards for it. They were pricy even back then, I imagine they're more expensive now.

If you’re not opposed to homebrew, there’s software that lets you mount a USB flash drive as the primary storage! I have a tiny 256 GB drive plugged into my PSTV and it rules.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Serf posted:

Now I just wish they'd put Persona 1 and 2 on modern hardware with some fixes and better localization.

p1 and p2is had fancy (then) modern localizations, rip to ep tho unless they actually tl the psp ver...

i think for p1 they could just do the p2 psp port thing with the music toggle, they could even make it a selling point like 2

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The PSP version of P1 honestly just sucks all of the atmosphere and presentation out of the whole thing, failing particularly bad with the music aspect.
Instead of fixing things that would help gameplay like eliminating the P-level system, battle grid, etc. they spent money on a few CG cutscenes that weren't remaking old CG cutscenes, but randomly replacing written scenes that were just shown normally in-game anyway, and cutting out the sound effects and 3/4ths the music tracks. Those new cutscenes didn't even have voice acting in the JP version, either. That was just something the US side thought to do.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Neeksy posted:

The PSP version of P1 honestly just sucks all of the atmosphere and presentation out of the whole thing, failing particularly bad with the music aspect.
Instead of fixing things that would help gameplay like eliminating the P-level system, battle grid, etc. they spent money on a few CG cutscenes that weren't remaking old CG cutscenes, but randomly replacing written scenes that were just shown normally in-game anyway, and cutting out the sound effects and 3/4ths the music tracks. Those new cutscenes didn't even have voice acting in the JP version, either. That was just something the US side thought to do.

tbh i feel like atlus usually sticks p close to the og stuff when remaking which is probably why there were like, no gameplay changes in p1

i guess they thought making p1 more Modern in sound design would help?? i for one like the cg cutscenes tho they look nice

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I for one love stiff wobbly legged bad Poser animation-looking Philemon from original P1 with his booming 1940s radio announcer voice

e: but in seriousness the cutscene I do think was a big loss to remove from PSP P1 was the original pre-title intro, the CGI is dated but the original P1 and P2:IS intros had a very cool slow and eerie atmosphere which was replaced with generic fast paced J-pop anime music videos in the re-releases.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's funny that the Persona 1 remake doesn't have the Persona 1 battle theme but Persona 5 Strikers does.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Booky posted:

p1 and p2is had fancy (then) modern localizations, rip to ep tho unless they actually tl the psp ver...

i think for p1 they could just do the p2 psp port thing with the music toggle, they could even make it a selling point like 2
I actually really do think the only thing stopping them from porting 1&2 right now is that the PSP ES didn't get an English localization, and while the Playstation version being put on PSN was a reasonable stopgap for them then (since both PS3 and PSP had PS1 functionality built in), it wouldn't past muster in a current collection (and trying to do straight up Playstation ports runs into an opposite issue with IS, to say nothing of the hack-up that Revelations is). That wouldn't be a major concern for a Japanese release, but Atlus may not be interested in a limited JP-only release.

Idly, with their recent track-record on Switch, I think Nintendo might have a mild chance at encouraging/sponsoring the work to get PSP EP translated, if only for the prestige in featuring "Persona Classics Collection" during a future direct, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Item Getter posted:

I for one love stiff wobbly legged bad Poser animation-looking Philemon from original P1 with his booming 1940s radio announcer voice

e: but in seriousness the cutscene I do think was a big loss to remove from PSP P1 was the original pre-title intro, the CGI is dated but the original P1 and P2:IS intros had a very cool slow and eerie atmosphere which was replaced with generic fast paced J-pop anime music videos in the re-releases.

idk about p1s og op but p2s ops were watchable in game, iirc u just waited a bit on the title screen? im glad they weren't cut completely, they're pretty cool

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I’m slowly working my way through P1 on PSP and more so than the battle grid and P-level, it's the exp distribution that really annoys me. Especially since Nanjo and Mark start off useless, and Maki turns into the kawaii terminator once you unlock rapid fire. It feels like I'm playing it wrong if I try to dispatch the enemy as fast as possible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, there is an extreme amount of jank in P1, it's a very difficult game to like because of all the ways it gets super unintuitive in how it plays.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been thinking about how the next Persona game could mess with the gameplay formula and while I know it would be a lot more of a pain to design and balance, I think it'd be really cool if they gave all the party members multiple bespoke Personas to switch between like the protagonist, even if only two per character. The point of the original psychological concept is that everyone has multiple Personas, and 1 and 2 stuck to this, but 3 onward simplified it presumably for reasons relating to balance and iconography. Hell, you could even cut down on the cast size this way, though I'm never really against having a big primary cast in a JRPG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd really love to see multiple personas per character come back, even if in a more limited form.

I don't really dislike party members having set personas in 3-5 and I think it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. In Persona 1 and 2, you always had a set party (even if you could make some choices on who joins, you never get to change your party after that point), so being able to customize your party members' abilities to a greater degree is how you get party customization. In 3-5, you just switch out your actual party members instead. So it makes a certain amount of sense that each one has a specific role and set of abilities.

Still, I'd like to see persona fusion for party members return in some fashion. Maybe something like everyone except the protagonist has a really limited set of arcana they can use personas from or something, so there's room for customization but within a narrower range. Though they'd probably have to rebalance how persona fusion works in this case, too. In 3-5 you can make some goddamn monster personas and the only thing holding you back at all is that only the protagonist gets to use them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
On one hand, being able to play Persona 5 on the Switch sounds fantastic. On the other hand, the Switch already struggles to handle games from 2016.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
You'll always see it coming because it takes an hour to load.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

girl dick energy posted:

On one hand, being able to play Persona 5 on the Switch sounds fantastic. On the other hand, the Switch already struggles to handle games from 2016.

Having played Nocturne on Switch, I can also assure you it struggles to handle games from 2003.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Apparently CFB and P5R run on the same engine, so supposedly that points to Royal running alright on the Switch, but I'm still gonna wait for reviews before deciding.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

I'd really love to see multiple personas per character come back, even if in a more limited form.

I don't really dislike party members having set personas in 3-5 and I think it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. In Persona 1 and 2, you always had a set party (even if you could make some choices on who joins, you never get to change your party after that point), so being able to customize your party members' abilities to a greater degree is how you get party customization. In 3-5, you just switch out your actual party members instead. So it makes a certain amount of sense that each one has a specific role and set of abilities.

Still, I'd like to see persona fusion for party members return in some fashion. Maybe something like everyone except the protagonist has a really limited set of arcana they can use personas from or something, so there's room for customization but within a narrower range. Though they'd probably have to rebalance how persona fusion works in this case, too. In 3-5 you can make some goddamn monster personas and the only thing holding you back at all is that only the protagonist gets to use them.

I did feel like in P2 especially, the party members felt mechanically like just empty vessels for the Personas and in my case IIRC I was swapping Personas between characters like every turn in order to spam fusion spells. Not great really
Although Persona Q was not great I think the main/sub persona system was an interesting compromise and maybe worth revisiting for other games.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1542525625948180484

Not sure how I feel about this one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My prediction:
It won't be good, but it'll be easy enough to ignore.

Now please make Persona 6 and leave out all homophobia this time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

At this rate, every male character in Persona 6 will wear straight pride shirts and vocally proclaim how heterosexual they are while holding hands and making direct eye contact with the protagonist.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

On the gripping hand Persona 5 is a PS3 game. And I don't believe P5R is any more complex.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's the same code as Catherine, it will run fine.

Not a Switch fan personally (I have one for Fire Emblem purposes and that's it) but I'm happy that Switch users will finally get Persona 5. It always seemed like a natural fit for the platform.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean the best versions of the prior four games were portable lol

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thanks for that can of worms, buddy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A hot take, but I agree, SMT5 was best on the Switch. :hmmyes:

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Putting aside the anime adaptations of P3-5, there WAS a standalone Persona anime 'based on' Persona 3 and 4 though it came before 4. It was loving TERRIBLE. It did have Ken and Adachi in it though Ken never used his name.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1161682/

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Blorknorg posted:

Putting aside the anime adaptations of P3-5, there WAS a standalone Persona anime 'based on' Persona 3 and 4 though it came before 4. It was loving TERRIBLE. It did have Ken and Adachi in it though Ken never used his name.

I actually started to watch that for Akihiko but stopped for some reason. I forget why.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blorknorg posted:

Persona Trinity was...interesting. It was absolutely terrible, but it was at least interesting in that it expanded the whole forced-awakening-through-narcotics subplot from P3. And at least it gave Akihiko a more believable follow up than what he got from P4U as a wandering ronin bear puncher guy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It also posited that only teenagers could have personas, which... well there goes Personas 1-2 -entirely- from how things work.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Neeksy posted:

It also posited that only teenagers could have personas, which... well there goes Personas 1-2 -entirely- from how things work.

It's hilarious because it's never been true. Baofu, Adachi, Zenkichi...

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's not true in Trinity Soul either. Just Akihiko has lost his ability. There are other adults who are Persona users in it.

Edit: Actually...it's been a while since I watched it. So maybe they bullshitted some reason why some could, but otherwise it was Teenagers Only. Trinity Soul was kinda stupid like that.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 2, 2022

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

The cop who could use personas was shown having to take medication with horrible side-effects because he was not a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blorknorg posted:

The cop who could use personas was shown having to take medication with horrible side-effects because he was not a teenager.

And Adachi was able to do it because gently caress the rules we live in a society.