Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

I realized on Monday that I've not been holding/throwing my backhand drives properly - basically wasn't getting a wrist snap to get the spin and rotational speed because I was more holding the disc how I would if I was throwing backhand in ultimate, which I'm not great at and only use for short distances. :psyduck:

Definitely already seeing and feeling the improvements of just readjusting how I use my wrist, but that means that my accuracy has now gone into the shitter, lol. Still feels good to have a literal "oh wait a minute... oh... oh poo poo this is how I really SHOULD be holding a disc!" moment.

In bad news, I was throwing out of the brush yesterday and turned my head at the exact wrong angle to take a twig completely into my ear canal. That was surprisingly painful, gently caress.

Scott Stokely, who just had one of the best throws I've ever seen to take down the GK Pro skins match, recently made a video going over how to overcome bad form because of your wrists and not throw nose up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYHFDEmwdWU

Scott's story is pretty cool too, he's been a big part of disc golf for decades and has been mostly retired since the early 2000s but came back to tour full time and is actually doing great for a 52 year old.

Edit: Here's the round he threw one of the most clutch shots I've ever seen (timestamp:45:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VqOClt18g&t=2697s

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks everyone, the beast does in fact rule, picked up a couple and have been grinding distance, it's pretty much perfect. I threw 100 drives a day at the football field for 4 days in a row and gave myself a stress fracture in my little finger whoops.

Oh well. People always say "drive for show putt for dough".. AMs aren't eligible for dough, so I'll take what I can get.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Thanks everyone, the beast does in fact rule, picked up a couple and have been grinding distance, it's pretty much perfect. I threw 100 drives a day at the football field for 4 days in a row and gave myself a stress fracture in my little finger whoops.

Oh well. People always say "drive for show putt for dough".. AMs aren't eligible for dough, so I'll take what I can get.

I was hesitant to post before because I'm not very good at disc golf, but I think the mamba might be a good fit as well. It is cheat mode distance, especially on a little hyzer. It has a fast nominal speed but is very forgiving and glides like crazy. If you actually throw 13 speed it will turn over into the next zip code.

I dunno it has been working for me lately.

headcase fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 13, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://i.imgur.com/i5oJdlx.mp4

I took this video on the day I asked my original question, this is throwing about 300'. What angle do you look at drives from? What do you even look for? I assume I need to do it from the other side, the disc side.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
People usually film from the other side, yes. But main things I can see is that your crossover step is in front instead of behind. It might seem like it doesn’t matter but it changes the way your hips engage. Also your backswing is literally up at your head level and then you swing down like you’re hitting a 9 iron. Get that backswing lower and extended back and rip through straight.

green kingfisher
May 23, 2022
I used to scoff at this so much as a teenager but after reading through this thread... I'm sold. This looks chill as hell. Buying a driver and putter ASAP

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

green kingfisher posted:

I used to scoff at this so much as a teenager but after reading through this thread... I'm sold. This looks chill as hell. Buying a driver and putter ASAP

Hell yeah join us. Disc golf is so chill, so cheap.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
reposting this from reddit

its a mako3

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It says DD3 right on it though? Am I lost???

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Went and threw 9 holes at the local church course. Really need to go somewhere else and just throw but it's literally the closest place I can reasonbly do that and I end up just throwing at baskets instead.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Car Hater posted:

It says DD3 right on it though? Am I lost???

The joke is that it’s an amalgamation of every desireable disc that collectors/fanboys want. It’s a DD3, but also innova, also vibram, a “4 claw”, “a 5x”, a Sexton and Climo signature disc, a halo plastic, etc.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ohhhhh ok I am not nerdy enough at this yet to understand

It's nice out this weekend and I'm going to drink and hike and huck plastic all at the same time

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Car Hater posted:

It's nice out this weekend and I'm going to drink and hike and huck plastic all at the same time

Hell yeah brother!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shot -5 against my projection in my weekly league just now :bubblewoop:

Hoping my placement is good enough to get me credit enough to buy me a new disc and pay my entry fee again next week :homebrew:

I'm leaning more and more into Prodigy discs, they might overtake Innova for my most owned discs soon.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, why have I never played two courses in one day. My second round was actually...good!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

Holy poo poo, why have I never played two courses in one day. My second round was actually...good!

Last weekend I hosted a bunch of friends and we managed to play 161 holes, walk like 40 miles and got bit by tons of mosquitos. Absolutely drained after each day playing 3 rounds but so worth it. Some bad rounds but some really good ones too.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Johnny Truant posted:

Shot -5 against my projection in my weekly league just now :bubblewoop:

Hoping my placement is good enough to get me credit enough to buy me a new disc and pay my entry fee again next week :homebrew:

I'm leaning more and more into Prodigy discs, they might overtake Innova for my most owned discs soon.

Reddit's disc golf subreddit hates on Prodigy but I've had nothing but good discs from them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:hmmno:

The USWDGC is happening this weekend where I live, Madison WI, and I am so loving pumped to watch all the ladies just absolutely CRUSH my 'home' course of Elver park for the final two days.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfWNDgZlfmf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

:swoon:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
This past Sunday I put together what was probably my best ever overall round, even if it wasn’t the outright best score I’ve shot

Didn’t miss a putt under 10m, and made a couple just outside including an absolute death putt on 17. Followed that up with a perfect drive to get a rare birdie on 18. Just nuts thinking back at how many shots I executed on and how confident I was in every throw.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I built the goal my wife got me as a gift and spent the day in the backyard cussing my putting ability. Having my dogs running around as I threw made it all the more enjoyable, though!

I also spent a little money to buy six of the same Yikun putter. Love your inexpensive and reliable plastics, President Xi.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The Yikun base plastic is the same as Discmania Active base plastic and is actually very good.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Easychair Bootson posted:

This past Sunday I put together what was probably my best ever overall round, even if it wasn’t the outright best score I’ve shot

Didn’t miss a putt under 10m, and made a couple just outside including an absolute death putt on 17. Followed that up with a perfect drive to get a rare birdie on 18. Just nuts thinking back at how many shots I executed on and how confident I was in every throw.
drat, what a round. It's always great when the putts are on.

I recently shot my best, at +6. NEARLY hit one of my goals of a a bogey-free 9, but I hit a bogey on 12 and par'd out (on a 21 hole)

cage-free egghead posted:

Last weekend I hosted a bunch of friends and we managed to play 161 holes, walk like 40 miles and got bit by tons of mosquitos. Absolutely drained after each day playing 3 rounds but so worth it. Some bad rounds but some really good ones too.
The most disc golf I've played is 101 holes over a 3 day weekend. And dang were my arms tired. But I also could not throw as far or as accurate as I can now. I'd like to revisit those courses and see how I fare. But jeez, 161 holes? Christ almighty.

unbuttonedclone posted:

The Yikun base plastic is the same as Discmania Active base plastic and is actually very good.
I use a base plastic Yikun Yan for a touchy approaches and it works great for me for that.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love that Yikun Xing putter. I hit a shot from 50 yards out with it today.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Collecting discs since 2002: (sorta)

3 aviar-x
13 kc aviars
1 champ aviar
1 r-pro aviar
1 gateway voodoo

4 kc rocs
1 dx roc
1 vroc
1 san marino roc
3 champ roc3
3 emac truth
2 esp buzzz
5 mako3
1 md5
1 z wasp
1 gator

5 leopards
2 leopard3
3 firebirds
2 whippets
5 valks
1 teebird
4 teebird3

4 lovely blizzard beasts
3 champ max weight beasts
1 vengeance
1 wahoo
1 archon (this disk is secretly sick)
1 monster
1 starfire
1 katana
3 wraiths
2 terns
1 destroyer
1 cannon
2 shrykes
2 orcs
3 champ/pro bosses
3 blizzard light bosses

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 2, 2022

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I played it at the Cedars of Lebanon State Park disc golf course with my buddies today. The park is about 45 minutes east of Nashville. It was a lot of fun! There were some short technical throws, and a few really long forearm tosses. Really narrow tree corridors on several holes. The atmosphere was pretty, and there was a big sinkhole on 12.

I personally played like garbage, but I keep getting better at throwing this Innova Cheetah.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

The most disc golf I've played is 101 holes over a 3 day weekend. And dang were my arms tired. But I also could not throw as far or as accurate as I can now. I'd like to revisit those courses and see how I fare. But jeez, 161 holes? Christ almighty.

It was much more than I was expecting, but we had a really good mix of great weather this year compared to the last few years. Definitely had some bad rounds towards the end of our venture but it was absolutely worth all of the aches and pains afterwords.

We had six people so we did team triples which is really fun. Ended up doing like 5 playoff holes with some weird rules like left hand only or grab a random disc from someone else's bag. I'd like to play a skins style match with friends too, especially after watching all the GK Pro skins videos.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Aside from general walking endurance, figuring out a “correct” drive technique opened up my ability to play a ton of holes without exhausting myself. And by “correct” I just mean using my body to fling the disc with a loose arm vs my arm powering the throw. Saved my shoulder from popping out a lot, too!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Got in 21 at Seven Oaks today. It’s so loving humid

highme
May 25, 2001

Hit up a few different Portland courses this week with my brother in law in town. Played Pier Park yesterday with a group of 5. That’s a hard rear end par 3 course and I’m pretty sure I was +20 at least.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I was visiting Portland from the east coast. Had an amazing time at Milo McIver even though it rained the grass was like a lake. Also did Bonneville upriver and Lakewood in Seattle.

Overall I was expecting a little bit more out of OG West coast courses. Don't get me wrong, they were all great, but turns out we have some pretty decent ones in Georgia too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Had barely been out all summer, other life stuff in the way, but went out this afternoon to a little par 3 course after work with friends...and not only had one of my worst rounds (+25 on a par 3...) But also got bit by a spider, AND lost one of my favorite discs.

It was a Thief...and they don't make them anymore.

But not going to let that get me down... Because I also discovered that course had a few mushroom foraging spots...a few porcinis on hole 4, and a couple chanterelles on hole...6.

Plus there's some goats in an open meadow that sort of serves as a "nexus" for like 5 of the holes, and it's always nice to see cute animals.

highme
May 25, 2001

headcase posted:

I was visiting Portland from the east coast. Had an amazing time at Milo McIver even though it rained the grass was like a lake. Also did Bonneville upriver and Lakewood in Seattle.

Overall I was expecting a little bit more out of OG West coast courses. Don't get me wrong, they were all great, but turns out we have some pretty decent ones in Georgia too.

I haven't played McIver yet and know nothing about the other 2 as I just started playing last summer. McIver is a pretty long drive and in a lovely area if you're trying to avoid chuds. A couple of the guys I played with have been playing for 20ish years and kept commenting on how good the course at Pier Park was.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Had barely been out all summer, other life stuff in the way, but went out this afternoon to a little par 3 course after work with friends...and not only had one of my worst rounds (+25 on a par 3...) But also got bit by a spider, AND lost one of my favorite discs.

It was a Thief...and they don't make them anymore.

But not going to let that get me down... Because I also discovered that course had a few mushroom foraging spots...a few porcinis on hole 4, and a couple chanterelles on hole...6.

Plus there's some goats in an open meadow that sort of serves as a "nexus" for like 5 of the holes, and it's always nice to see cute animals.

Aw dang, hope somebody returns your disc! I just had someone text me about my Prodigy M2 that I left in an open fairway, so hopefully you get those good vibes coming your way.

I went out the next day and bought another M2 though... cat returning my disc said it would be line 1-2 weeks before they made it to the store by me and I couldn't wait! Lol

I'm currently cleaning up my basement, which means moving my basket upstairs. Gonna figure out a new workout routine that includes some disc golf specific things, and then figure out a reasonable number of putts to aim for weekly to improve my game. I'm thinking 300 to start but we'll see, summer is always busier and I'm tryna get some more home projects done... but disc golf!! :getin:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
A guy goes by Disc Golf Strong has a lot of disc golf strength stuff.

And when you practice putting don't just keep doing it when you stop paying attention, that doesn't do any good. When you stop concentrating quick practicing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

unbuttonedclone posted:

A guy goes by Disc Golf Strong has a lot of disc golf strength stuff.

And when you practice putting don't just keep doing it when you stop paying attention, that doesn't do any good. When you stop concentrating quick practicing.

Oh tight, thanks! Hadn't heard of that cat before.

And I definitely agree with you regarding focus. Luckily I have enough putters that I can bang out 100 shots real quick so that hasn't been an issue for me really.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I think one of my old co-workers just found a basket in the trash at his work. He's going to haul it out for me. Fingers crossed bro's, a free key to getting better may be in hand.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Despite having to wait at minimum 5 minutes on every hole, I still rocked -4 under my projection so League last night :bubblewoop:

It was just one of those rounds for all of us though, lol. I tossed my Envy perfectly into the chains, only to look away thinking it was good and then watch it movie style just roll right past me :pressf:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Took a buddy golfing down in Memphis today! He had never been and had an amazing time. I gave him the discs I loaned him, and he said he would pay it forward by buying discs and taking another mutual friend of ours. The Shelby Farms course is much more open than what I’m used to up in Nashville, which exposed my noodle arm lol. I need to film my throw and start really drilling down on my mistakes.

This is the first sport I’ve played where I actually want to practice and improve. Such fun.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATdgZfZpxZQ

This video is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I got into disc golf a few months ago, and as I usually do with new hobbies I went down the gear rabbit hole too fast. I've taken a step back now and dialed my number of discs way down in accordance with some old advice on DGCourseReview, and boy am I learning a lot more by just focusing on a few discs. The advice is to start with just:

quote:

Putter - 1 mold, preferably a stable, in most cases beaded putter in low end plastic that isn't flexible (e.g. S Wizard, KC Aviar, D Challenger, D Focus, S Voodoo, etc.)

Mid - 1 mold, neutral to slightly overstable (e.g. DX Roc, Buzzz, Shark, Cro, Element, there's like a million of them).

Driver* - 1 mold, slow, low end plastic, with some turn and some fade (e.g. DX Cheetah, M Polaris LS, DX Gazelle, D Cyclone, DX Eagle-X, etc.)

Overstable Driver - 1 mold, overstable by design, not because of speed (e.g. Banshee, Firebird, Predator, etc.)

I've got an Axiom Envy, a Latitude 64 Fuse, an Axiom Crave, and an MVP Terra.

I'm also discovering how much I like MVP/Axiom discs, as opposed to the mostly Latitude 64 I had been using before.

Anyone else dive in too deep at first and then dial it back to really learn how to throw?