Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Klyith posted:

Vehicles were greatly improved in U5. Hot take: trucks have never had as many problems as people claimed, people were just bad at setting them up. I have never had a tractor "randomly stop working" after I'd verified the route. And I never built full highways. Only bridges, ramps, and other bits of road to negotiate bad terrain.

Wait, verified? Yes. That's why my trucks always work. Because after recording a route, I turn on the autopilot and then hop up onto the roof of the car. Then I let it drive a full circuit and watch what happens.
1. Sometimes the autopilot couldn't take a curve or slope or rock, and it failed. So I fix the route.
2. After doing this a bunch I learned a lot about the most likely problems, and how to drive better while recording routes to have less problems. (Those being: autopilot cuts corners, so leave wide space around obstacles in turns. Autopilot drives faster than you, so slow down. Autopilot is worse at climbing slopes than you.)

If you don't watch the truck drive the route, you don't really know whether it has problems or not, because the truck always works fine when it's out of physics range. And that IMO is why 9/10 times people's trucks have mystery failures -- sometime much later, they happen to be in physics range while the truck's at a failure point, and bam it's dead.
I admit that I never even considered that you can jump on roof of a car.
I always panically ran after the truck to observe it running the route in the hope of seeing it. And once I got too confused by my annoyance I accidentally click on the truck, thinking that this is a playable game where you can just ride a vehicle on a auto-route. And then the vehicle stops and I theoretically have to start over.
And then after verifying the route it still gets stuck because some piece of landscape has a different steepness when you aren't looking. Or possibly because a monster spawns in the way of the truck.

If that really all has been fixed, I should really try making a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VegasGoat posted:

I feel like they need a better way to set up the truck routes. I’d rather just place down a bunch of waypoints instead of driving/recording the route especially since the truck won’t drive the same way I do. That’s probably what’s happening under the hood anyway so just give me more control over the spacing and placement.

Yeah, that's what's happening under the hood. But the blue arrows are the waypoint nodes. They have to be pretty close together, so honestly placing them by hand wouldn't be an improvement.

What would be good was if you could move them around post-recording. The mod MicroManage can actually do that -- the arrows are objects with coordinates just like a regular buildable, and the mod lets you move/rotate them. You can use that to fix a spot where the AI clips a rock or similar.

OTOH too much manipulation can be bad. The nodes are in sequence, so if you move node #68 and #69 into the opposite place it gets caught. So I don't know a good way to let players mess with them and still have safety rails.

So IMO what would be even better is just allowing you to record a new segment of path:
1. some method to select two nodes and delete all nodes in between
2. that turns the path into a paused, incomplete path just like when you hit "pause recording"
3. now you can record starting from the new loose end of the path, and continue until you complete the path

In back-end code this should be super easy, but the UI and usability is hard.

e:

VictualSquid posted:

I admit that I never even considered that you can jump on roof of a car.

Figured that out in multiplayer. It's fun! You either need the jetpack, or to start the truck so it's heading into a depot to load up. Though I suppose you could put a pause node in the path set to plenty of delay, then delete that pause later.

VictualSquid posted:

And then after verifying the route it still gets stuck because some piece of landscape has a different steepness when you aren't looking. Or possibly because a monster spawns in the way of the truck.

Monsters at least are no problem, the AI knocks them over just like when you are driving.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2022

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'd love the ability to save a route 'globally' and modify it. A lot of the issues with odd pathing could be fixed if you could go like 'yeah there needs to be a new node between #71 and #72, and add a little bit of a more curve there..'

Plus, being able to build three trucks and just assign them to the existing route between Mining Outpost 3 and your main manufactorium cluster would make things so much more pleasant. One of the big annoyances with trucks right now is that each truck saves its own route 'internally', so if say there's a physics fuckup and you 'lose' a truck, you have to go out of your way to re-record the route for the replacement unit. Then you mess up one of the turns, and there's another mystery physics failure when the game hours later realizes 'hang on this truck will clip the wall here if the player is in range' and you just kind of throw your hands in the air and go gently caress it, MKIII belt bus it is.

It'd also make scaling up your things a little more pleasant if you could replace one of your old hauler tractors with a bigger faster truck with a couple of clicks.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Drake_263 posted:

Plus, being able to build three trucks and just assign them to the existing route between Mining Outpost 3 and your main manufactorium cluster would make things so much more pleasant. One of the big annoyances with trucks right now is that each truck saves its own route 'internally', so if say there's a physics fuckup and you 'lose' a truck, you have to go out of your way to re-record the route for the replacement unit. Then you mess up one of the turns, and there's another mystery physics failure when the game hours later realizes 'hang on this truck will clip the wall here if the player is in range' and you just kind of throw your hands in the air and go gently caress it, MKIII belt bus it is.

It'd also make scaling up your things a little more pleasant if you could replace one of your old hauler tractors with a bigger faster truck with a couple of clicks.

What you're asking for is already in the game. Once you complete a vehicle path and set it to autopilot it will store that path internally, but you can also use the Q menu to save that path and set as many vehicles as you want running it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What you're asking for is already in the game. Once you complete a vehicle path and set it to autopilot it will store that path internally, but you can also use the Q menu to save that path and set as many vehicles as you want running it.

goddamnit lol, this could have saved me so much time in one of my old saves

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deki posted:

goddamnit lol, this could have saved me so much time in one of my old saves

it only got added in U5

that's why I want the path editing I proposed: formal highways would be way more worth building, since you could have a few main saved paths and just edit the individual stops onto them

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

CainFortea posted:

Long belts until it's annoying then trains. Trucks are dumb.

:yeah:

Personally I think trucks also just don't fit the aesthetic and prefer the look of belts and trains.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Picked this up for the first time a few days ago and man this game is cool. Pretty early-on, just got to oil processing, but it's got its hooks in me hard even though there are still obviously a few half-baked EA aspects to it. It's got one of the best "building in 3D" systems of any construction/survival game I've ever played. When I get tired of managing optimization it's easy to just go sink a few hours into making my factories look cooler and I feel like I have a ton of options to do so.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

My 9yo wanted to start playing as he watched me build a 60/m motor factory. I had him start his own world and do the intro while I hand crafted plates and wire and whatnot for him to try and reduce the extremely boring aspect of the early game. It’s extremely funny to watch him put stuff down literally wherever and just clip the poo poo out of the belts. Just about to unlock splitters and mergers so it’ll be interesting to see how his brain handles that stuff.

He said the one thing he feels like the game is missing is the ability to furnish spaces. Like you can build factories and everything but the only space that feels like you could live in is the HUB and it doesn’t make sense that you couldn’t set up other places to stay around the map. I doubt they’ll add anything like it since it’s a niche aspect to a building game but he’s got a point. Ficsit probably doesn’t want to encourage sitting on the job tho.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

You can absolutely furnish spaces, it's just.... you'll have to stretch your definition of furniture and any furniture is going to be made of alot of steel beams and probably pretty uncomfortable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FIXSIT doesn't want you to sit but they'll turn a blind eye to this Tony Hawk Pro Skater skate park I laboriously recreated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SettingSun posted:

FIXSIT doesn't want you to sit but they'll turn a blind eye to this Tony Hawk Pro Skater skate park I laboriously recreated.

Do you do a half pipe in a factory cart?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

priznat posted:

Do you do a half pipe in a factory cart?

This is something every new player should do. The factory cart is pretty useless on anything but foundations, but on foundations you can build a sick skatepark.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Started a new U6 save in Dune Desert and so much running around. Probably the biggest annoyance is just how long some stuff takes before you get the various time saver things and have a good collection of resources to build whatever you feel like.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

priznat posted:

Started a new U6 save in Dune Desert and so much running around. Probably the biggest annoyance is just how long some stuff takes before you get the various time saver things and have a good collection of resources to build whatever you feel like.

Does the dune desert have convenient quartz? I seem to recall it requiring killing/running from a lot of nasties but it's been a while. My usual early game strategy is to get blade runners asap, but now that's trickier in some starts. In the grasslands especially it is an absolutely huge pain in the rear end. If they leave things as is I'll probably just stick with the northern forest, because every single resource is so close together and there's so much of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

Does the dune desert have convenient quartz? I seem to recall it requiring killing/running from a lot of nasties but it's been a while. My usual early game strategy is to get blade runners asap, but now that's trickier in some starts. In the grasslands especially it is an absolutely huge pain in the rear end. If they leave things as is I'll probably just stick with the northern forest, because every single resource is so close together and there's so much of it.

It has quite a few iron and copper nodes but haven’t seen quartz yet. The biggest change for me is it’s actually huge dunes, I don’t recall them being like this before. I never started a save here thought I would go big..

Holding down E as I run thru the bushes to hoover them up is a nice QoL improvement :haw:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gadzuko posted:

Dune Desert has easy access to quartz, check the northern edge of the map next to the mountain. If you still need more there are multiple nodes on the cliff with the big trees just south of the desert, they're easy to access with the big slope leading up to them.

The beginning grasslands are probably the worst starting area for that same reason, the nearest quartz nodes are really far away and you have to climb a bunch of terrain to get to them. I remember that being a significant voyage on my first playthrough when it's relatively trivial to access if you start in the Dune Desert or Titan Forest.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The beginning grasslands are probably the worst starting area for that same reason, the nearest quartz nodes are really far away and you have to climb a bunch of terrain to get to them. I remember that being a significant voyage on my first playthrough when it's relatively trivial to access if you start in the Dune Desert or Titan Forest.

Rock Desert is even worse -- the quartz nodes that will light up on your resource scanner are all in caves that you will have infinite trouble accessing without explosives & gas masks, or insane luck to discover the entrances that aren't blocked by bombable rocks. And then you get to deal with infinite spiders. Finding quartz that's actually reachable means you have to set off in the opposite directions until you get some different nodes.

They should definitely add an accessible poor quartz node to both grasslands & rock desert, since quartz is now also a pretty in-demand material for windows and other decor.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am just dropping a miner/smelter/constructor/container combo with a biomass burner on the various nodes to crank out basic components to get to the point where I can start making factories!

Best coal power location is probably on the plateau to the southeast of the dunes by the big lake right? I want to get off biomass asap.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Area 3 is by far the best start, resource wise, imo. The verticality is the only limiting factor but you have all those pure iron, copper, and quartz nodes right next to a cliff so a factory there is a nobrainer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crater Lake (the plateau to the southeast of the Rocky/Western Desert) with 3 pure nodes is my go-to for coal power if you don't mind building ridiculous ramps to get up there - Western Desert and Northern Forest are my preferred starts so far - never tried Dune Desert, but I didn't care much for Grasslands because the coal felt pretty inconvenient to get to.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Area 3 is by far the best start, resource wise, imo. The verticality is the only limiting factor but you have all those pure iron, copper, and quartz nodes right next to a cliff so a factory there is a nobrainer.

West Side Best Side.

Forget which start it is, but other than Quartz and Sulfur everything is in a north/south pipeline.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The game shows you headlift now it’s so nice

Maybe that isn’t new new .

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Are you placing a pump? If so, that's not new

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I very much like that when scanning nodes it has a checkmark next to ones you already have a miner on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Deki posted:

Are you placing a pump? If so, that's not new

Yes

The base regenerating health so far has been the best change ever

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there a way of quickly configuring a constructor or an assembler without having to run up closely to it and manually defining what I want it to do? Specifically for when I'm using a lookout tower to get a birds-eye view of everything without having to get close to the buildings. I was hoping that by cloning a building it would also clone its recipe, instead I seem to have to manually open each building and configure it that way. I know there's a copy and paste function in there, but I don't believe it works from a distance.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there a way of quickly configuring a constructor or an assembler without having to run up closely to it and manually defining what I want it to do? Specifically for when I'm using a lookout tower to get a birds-eye view of everything without having to get close to the buildings. I was hoping that by cloning a building it would also clone its recipe, instead I seem to have to manually open each building and configure it that way. I know there's a copy and paste function in there, but I don't believe it works from a distance.

Nope. Gotta touch the thing. This got slightly better with the improved copy/paste in experimental. You only need to look at a machine and highlight it to paste a recipe now.

Once you get the hover pack the distance at which you can touch something increases a significant amount.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
However they’ve implemented ctrl+c/ctrl+v seems super finicky, like I can’t dash it off like I can anywhere else, I have to very explicitly and slowly press the keys and let them go in a consistent way or it won’t register. Might just be me, I don’t know

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ben Nerevarine posted:

However they’ve implemented ctrl+c/ctrl+v seems super finicky, like I can’t dash it off like I can anywhere else, I have to very explicitly and slowly press the keys and let them go in a consistent way or it won’t register. Might just be me, I don’t know

You can remap those keys. I changed mine to J/K because it kept messing with the hover pack. You have to have the Press E prompt up on the screen otherwise it won’t take. It’s like a split second after the highlight but for whatever reason that matters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
does Satisfactory ever introduce significant pressure to optimize designs? i'm finishing up tier 4 and about to make the space elevator delivery to unlock tiers 5 and 6, and i'm honestly starting to get bored. unlocking automated power / coal was a step up and gave the game a little more life but it feels more like i'm just hooking inputs to outputs and then waiting for a bar to fill up than actually designing anything. it's been more of a challenge to make my factory aesthetically appealing than to figure out how to fit stuff into a certain amount of space, maintain proper ratios (especially once you have a few power crystals to spare), make scalable solutions, or anything like that

the hand-crafted environment is absolutely beautiful but the game feels really empty as a game, with, like, goals and challenges and so on. my main motivation at this point is to unlock jetpacks and the buggy so i can see the rest of the island, but i'm not sure i'm going to feel any urge to finish the game afterwards

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 29, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like that the game is a sandbox but I also think there is room for some alpha achievement like “launch a space station” or something huge like that

But I hope the game never gets a timer

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah i don't think a time limit would be the answer anyways. i think the more likely problem is actually that resource patches are infinite yield and never dry up, which means material efficiency is pointless, although i also don't know how you'd square finite resources with a finite map without the danger of the player entering a death spiral or unwinnable game state.

maybe i just need to set "achieve X throughput" as a goal arbitrarily and work towards it instead of expecting the game to provide extrinsic motivation, i dunno :v:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

You can remap those keys. I changed mine to J/K because it kept messing with the hover pack. You have to have the Press E prompt up on the screen otherwise it won’t take. It’s like a split second after the highlight but for whatever reason that matters.

Nice thanks, I didn't know those were remappable, going to give that a try

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fluids and managing recipes with multiple outputs (most often happens when working with fluids) are a decent step up in complexity and the need to put more thought into designs I think

Is it known about when U6 will drop?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Make your conveyor belts spell bad words and / or boobs, it's the secret achievement.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Found a hard drive in dune desert and unlocked cast screws, yes.

Debating going from a distributed power grid to a central bioburner spot so I can refill them quicker, and belting all the stuff back to my main base area for easy collection. I just made little factories at each resource node trying to utilize 100% but it's a lot of running around keeping the biomass topped up and collecting the output as needed! I need dang trucks already.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah i don't think a time limit would be the answer anyways. i think the more likely problem is actually that resource patches are infinite yield and never dry up, which means material efficiency is pointless, although i also don't know how you'd square finite resources with a finite map without the danger of the player entering a death spiral or unwinnable game state.

maybe i just need to set "achieve X throughput" as a goal arbitrarily and work towards it instead of expecting the game to provide extrinsic motivation, i dunno :v:

Some people aim for mega builds where efficiency actually comes into play. You only have X material per minute (across the whole map) to work with, how do you make the most of it?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does Satisfactory ever introduce significant pressure to optimize designs? i'm finishing up tier 4 and about to make the space elevator delivery to unlock tiers 5 and 6, and i'm honestly starting to get bored. unlocking automated power / coal was a step up and gave the game a little more life but it feels more like i'm just hooking inputs to outputs and then waiting for a bar to fill up than actually designing anything. it's been more of a challenge to make my factory aesthetically appealing than to figure out how to fit stuff into a certain amount of space, maintain proper ratios (especially once you have a few power crystals to spare), make scalable solutions, or anything like that

the hand-crafted environment is absolutely beautiful but the game feels really empty as a game, with, like, goals and challenges and so on. my main motivation at this point is to unlock jetpacks and the buggy so i can see the rest of the island, but i'm not sure i'm going to feel any urge to finish the game afterwards

No pressure at all, and with infinite resources and no upkeep tasks or other items sinks (other than biofuel at the start and the literal sink), there is no pressure to optimize anything if you don't want to.
You could build just a single machine for each item and just let the game do its thing until you have enough to unlock the next item if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Material efficiency can come into play earlier too even without mega builds. Plenty of alt recipes not only simplify production like cast screws but also end up using way less raw materials, although usually at the expense of space/power or complexity like pure ingots. Don't want to expand to another copper node and want to be more efficient with the ones you've already tapped? You might be able to do so with the right recipes.

There's no pressure to do this though.