Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That DICK! posted:

clancy brown

the king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
other kings are Q and the black guy from mass effect with the deep voice who also played the fish in mr robot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
watching the rlm and lolling at the yoda, obiwan, & sheev vs darth plagius teamup concept

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Smythe posted:

Coolest part of the prequels is

1 Natalie Portman leather bdsm dress fireplace scene

2 Natalie Portman clothes ripped up by monster in the gladiator arena

Nuff said

Hell yeah loving right

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Smythe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 29, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

had to edit it to add the word 'bastard' which is really critical imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Natalie Portman drip game in the prequels is unmatched

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFrvFKOVU6A

This guy's channel has some good remixes but it's loving awesome how well the Mandalorian theme blends with Vode An.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

The music for that fight owns though. Hope we can all agree on that. Williams goes hard as gently caress.

It's true. I listened to those soundtracks when building my Lego sets. It's kinda crazy how GOOD the AOTC love song is and a shame the onscreen stuff is not believable at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

It's true. I listened to those soundtracks when building my Lego sets. It's kinda crazy how GOOD the AOTC love song is and a shame the onscreen stuff is not believable at all.

Across the Stars is a great song that the movie uses poorly. Meanwhile Battlefront 2 good version picks the best part of the song to use for the Galactic Conquest mode.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That DICK! posted:

had to edit it to add the word 'bastard' which is really critical imo

agreed. updated.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I mean he hates sand

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vintersorg posted:

The AOTC love theme is incredible, and I also really like Rey's theme from TFA which is the only really memorable tune from the sequels but it's grand.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If we could make an image a thread background i'd nominate this :lol:

Parkingtigers posted:

The AOTC love theme is incredible, and I also really like Rey's theme from TFA which is the only really memorable tune from the sequels but it's grand.

Yeah that one is my favorite! TFA sorta ignited my love of Star Wars Lego and I went down a deep hole for a bit. But poo poo's so expensive - last set I got was the UCS Y-Wing and kinda called it quits after that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Smythe posted:

qui gon jin, cheating at the dice roll: i have a particular set of skills

Excuse me that was a chance cube, the most recognized way to resolve a 50/50 chance - a six sided die with half the sides painted blue and the other red. no possible way to cheat that, no simpler way to decided between two outcomes

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lol did someone tell george lucas it was bad optics to give the jewish alien a big scene about his coin

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I can see Anakin and Obi-Wan in that shot, but why does it look like there's someone tobogganing down a lava flow in the background?

Robot Style posted:

Definitely designed as a fast "let's get the gently caress outta here" ship, since it was originally supposed to be Han's vehicle, until someone pointed out how similar it was to the ship from Space: 1999.

Lucas must have liked the name though, since he took the Eagle from 1999 and turned it into the Falcon from the Millennium.

This his always slightly amused me, because the Tantive IV really doesn't look that much like the Eagle. It has a narrow profile for part of the body, and that's kind of it; even then, the Eagle is all narrow, while it only makes up part of the Tantive IV. The really odd part is that after Lucas decided to change it, he got someone else to design the Millenium Falcon with a broad directive ("make it look like a burger" or something, if I recall) and then people accused him of plagiarism for that design, because it looks like something from the Valérian and Laureline comics.

The XB982 debuted in the comics in 1969 apparently, and while it's certainly closer in looks than the Tantive IV is to the Eagle, I still wouldn't say they're all that close. There's a few things that people think Lucas and/or Star Wars borrows from Valerian though; Laureline wears a similar slave outfit, one of the villains wears a helmet to cover a scarred face, the comic has a simliar aesthetic of a "lived in" future, and so on. One of the original creators says that he wrote to Lucas asking about some of the similarities without ever getting a response. I get the feeling that someone (or someones) on the film's production staff was probably a fan of the comics, rather than Lucas himself, since Lucas is generally pretty open about his influences, and that at least some of it is just convergent design choices (the Slave Leia outfit was based on Frank Franzetta paintings rather than Valerian according to the designer).

That DICK! posted:

i dont remember that, 2 fly. i think the plinkett reviews say the clones should have been the bad guy enemy force, which i think is a fair point. but even if they say that foreign invaders happen all the time in space adventure stuff. star trek does it from time to time. yuuzhan vong........

A lot of people imagined the clones were the bad guys in the clone wars after that name drop in the original film, including Timothy Zahn, who wrote the first books of the new Star Wars EU (though not the first Star Wars books), and had a pretty different vision of the clone wars in them, since it hadn't yet been codified by Lucas at the time.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Darth bane could kick every inquisitors rear end at the same time

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Top 5 Star Wars Movie Moments:

-Seismic charges, Episode 2.
-Dex identifies a Kamino "Saber Dart", Episode 2.
-Jimmy Smitts orders C3PO killed, Episode 3.
-Yoda reenacts the ending of E.T. with Chewbacca in place of the dog, Episode 3.
-R2 D2 lets the wookiee win, Episode 4.

Smythe posted:

Coolest part of the prequels is

1 Natalie Portman leather bdsm dress fireplace scene

2 Natalie Portman clothes ripped up by monster in the gladiator arena

Nuff said

attack of the clones owns so hard

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Never understood why some people dislike it. The title promised me something and it gave me that thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Smythe posted:

Darth bane could kick every inquisitors rear end at the same time

Any proper Sith probably could; the entire point is they're barely trained thugs, who have to use technology to compensate for lack of skill.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
My Top 5 Star Wars Moments:

1) Battle of Endor (all of the storylines)
2) Death Star trench run
3) Battle of Coruscant
4) Rescuing Princess Leia from Prison
5) Escaping Jabba's Clutches

If I had more space, I'd include:

6) Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan
7) The Pod Race
8) Battle of Geonosis
9) Battle of Hoth
10) Anakin and Padme in the Geonosian factory

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

My Top 5 Star Wars Moments:

1) Battle of Endor (all of the storylines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2jXbZOeGD0

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sorry about your bad opinions, bruh

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the endor part was some howard the god drat duck bullshit

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Uh, NO! The Battle of Endor has three action storylines interwoven together: Lando & Co. fighting in space, Luke versus Vader, and the Gang fighting on the planet surface. Each part is perfectly scored by Williams, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's the last act, which means that any of the heroes might sacrifice themselves for victory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Correct, the only storyline from Endor worth talking about is the one where IG-88 uploads his brain into the Death Star 2 and starts pranking the Emperor by randomly closing doors in his face and blaming it on teething malfunctions.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Uh, NO! The Battle of Endor has three action storylines interwoven together: Lando & Co. fighting in space, Luke versus Vader, and the Gang fighting on the planet surface. Each part is perfectly scored by Williams, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's the last act, which means that any of the heroes might sacrifice themselves for victory.

[tries to seem tough challenging this but backs down in cowardly fashion] whatever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think mando is my fav star war somehow. also none of these lists have general grievous lol. fail rear end lists

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the best star war content is also the trawn trilogy, the bane trilogy, and of course shatterpoint. another cool one is the trench run. hmm another cool one is hoth. one more cool thing is ig-88. hmm trying to think of more cool stuff. battlestar galactica

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
star wars but the entire franchise is scored by primus

think about it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Smythe posted:

i think mando is my fav star war somehow. also none of these lists have general grievous lol. fail rear end lists

yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBbIjMT8xY

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

There is a disturbing lack of yub yub in all of these star wars lists.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the chad george lucas, after failing to establish a suitable main villain for the final act of his star wars trilogy: there is a robot with four lightsabers, double the amount of lightsabers anyone has ever had before

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gohmak posted:

Their whole premise is that Lucas hosed up the prequels so much that they can't view this show with absurdly low expectations.

Lucas made plot holes so who cares if Disney makes chasms. Lucas power creeped the force so who cares if Disney goes full anime.
Yes exactly. They're saying that it's a dogshit show and putting it into the context of the broader franchise. The discussion about 'plot holes', which they don't dwell on at all, isn't even really a complaint about the prequels as much as its about the absurdity of making a spin off about obi wan where nothing happens.

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 30, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That DICK! posted:

lol did someone tell george lucas it was bad optics to give the jewish alien a big scene about his coin
Episode 1 was pretty cringeworthy in that regard, between Watto and the Neimoidians

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

gohmak posted:

Their whole premise is that Lucas hosed up the prequels so much that they can't view this show with absurdly low expectations.

Lucas made plot holes so who cares if Disney makes chasms. Lucas power creeped the force so who cares if Disney goes full anime.

I care

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

tsob posted:

The really odd part is that after Lucas decided to change it, he got someone else to design the Millenium Falcon with a broad directive ("make it look like a burger" or something, if I recall) and then people accused him of plagiarism for that design, because it looks like something from the Valérian and Laureline comics.

Yeah, according to Lucas:

Making of Star Wars posted:

“The flying hamburger was my favorite design,” Lucas says. “I thought that the other design was too close to Space: 1999 and too conventional looking. I wanted something really off the wall, since it was the key ship in the movie; I wanted something with a lot more personality. I thought of the design on the airplane, flying back from London: a hamburger. I didn’t want it to be a flying saucer, but I wanted to have something with a radial shape that would be completely different from anything else.”

The concept art book for Solo actually had an image of a previously unseen "missing link" Falcon that's incorporating the new shape while also keeping some of the Tantive-style design elements.

Lucas' notes from around the time of the redesign refer to the Han's (then nameless) ship as a "pirate manta-ship", so there might also have been some animal influence. The ship's mandibles and wide flat shape definitely have some manta ray to them, even if it's something that was realized after the fact. I think at one point, Lucas was leaning into the aquatic nature of the ship - in the backstory he provided for the ship to licensees he said:

Making of Star Wars posted:

“It’s of Corellian design, from Crell, and is used primarily by the Corellian spice shippers. They transport their goods to the center of the Empire. The Corellian ship is a very easy ship to know. It’s a very simple ship, very economical ship, although the modifications he made to it are rather extensive—mostly to the navigation system to get through hyperspace in the shortest possible distance (par-sects).

“Crell is a rather grim planet, mostly gaseous. There’s no surface to it. The cities are large satellites and they float inside the planet, like in the fog, or in the gas. The inhabitants have wings and can fly. They are like porpoises with wings, but they also have claw-like hands.”

So Corellians were originally flying porpoises who built starships shaped like manta rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, according to Lucas:

The concept art book for Solo actually had an image of a previously unseen "missing link" Falcon that's incorporating the new shape while also keeping some of the Tantive-style design elements.

Lucas' notes from around the time of the redesign refer to the Han's (then nameless) ship as a "pirate manta-ship", so there might also have been some animal influence. The ship's mandibles and wide flat shape definitely have some manta ray to them, even if it's something that was realized after the fact. I think at one point, Lucas was leaning into the aquatic nature of the ship - in the backstory he provided for the ship to licensees he said:

So Corellians were originally flying porpoises who built starships shaped like manta rays.
This sort of looks like the ship you get in the old X-Wing Alliance game which is another unique Corellian freighter

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Otana