Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Next your gonna say that the only true way to safely turn the bike off is by the tip sensor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

knox_harrington posted:

You previously said you coast in the last 20m to junctions which is exactly what gets dinged on tests.
Probably i'm overestimating the distance then. I got both my bike and car license, and both independent examinators passed me. During both sets of lessons, i was explained the right way, and why you shouldn't pull in the clutch for no reason.

Perhaps if i care enough, i'll make some videos of it. It's really a matter of seconds.

Re: Engine braking
That is indeed a risk of riding a bike. The amount of engine braking available is much higher than in the average car, and that can be unexpected for the cars behind you.
The official solution to that issue is to hit the front brake really gently to make the brake light light up.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Furious George posted:

I got warned not to engine brake while learning many years ago, the reason given being that you're not displaying a brake light while slowing down :shrug:

Obviously, I engine brake all the time now..

I was taught to press a brake enough to activate the brake light when engine braking. Still do when there's someone behind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Wait it's bad to let the kickstand Killswitch turn the bike off?

It’s fine. It does the same thing as the kill switch on the bars.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Invalido posted:

I was taught to press a brake enough to activate the brake light when engine braking. Still do when there's someone behind.

I have a brakefree (https://www.brakefreetech.com/products/brake-free) that mostly solves that problem.

It senses any deceleration forces and lights up. It’s a very dadbike thing, and at $170 I probably wouldn’t have bought one myself, it was a gift, but honestly it works really well and it’s good peace of mind. At this point I think if mine up and died one day I’d buy another.

All you have to do is remember to charge it when it starts blinking at you. It automatically sleeps when it hasn’t moved for like 30 seconds, so you don’t even turn it on and off.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a brakefree (https://www.brakefreetech.com/products/brake-free) that mostly solves that problem.

That's neat and all but I'd rather have an accelerometer tied to the bike's brake light. Seems like such products exist:

This one does flashing light when braking hard: https://www.rizoma.com/en/dbl001.html
Here's an arduino DIY deal: https://www.instructables.com/passive-brake-light/ Should be cheap and customisable to do exactly what I want on any bike I chose to mount it on.

But in reality I'm just gonna keep pressing the brake lever a little to shine some light on whoever is behind me like a caveman partly because I'm lazy and not crazy about gadgets of dubious usefulness but mostly since I think it's a good habit that will follow me on any bike I ride and it becomes automated after a while just like anything else. It's like turn signals - I use those without thinking about it and not using them is more of a conscious choice when there's absolutely positively nobody around to see them.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
It's bad for the engine to stop the bike. Motorcycles were designed to always keep moving, like a shark. Your MSF course should have taught you how to sleep with one hemisphere of your brain at a time.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I just downshift and lightly brake at the same time. Figure it is better mechanically to spread the load between piston rings and brakes over a long time. Also yeah it makes drivers behind me more aware.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My philosophy is your engine will always be doing some of the braking but don’t rely on it and always have the front brakes at least covered enough to activate the lights. If you suddenly need to apply a lot more brake for any reason your reaction time will be slower if you have to reach up for the lever so you may as well have your hand up there anyway.

If you’re on empty country roads it probably doesn’t matter but for these discussions I always assume there are cars all around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Russian Bear posted:

always have the front brakes at least covered enough to activate the lights. If you suddenly need to apply a lot more brake for any reason your reaction time will be slower if you have to reach up for the lever so you may as well have your hand up there anyway.

My instructor told me off for this but I rode mountainbikes for decades so covering the brakes just felt natural to me so I just did it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Russian Bear posted:

If you’re on empty country roads it probably doesn’t matter but for these discussions I always assume there are cars all around.

For safety's sake, you should probably be acting that way anyway. As much as you might try to watch your mirrors, you never know when some dipshit going 80 in a 45 is going to be up your rear end out of nowhere.

I'm glad my dumb rear end coasting too much sparked this discussion. I try to make a habit of not letting other people make the same mistakes I did and it's nice to apply it here, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My instructor told me off for this but I rode mountainbikes for decades so covering the brakes just felt natural to me so I just did it.

Holy gently caress there's some bad instructors out there, jesus! You should be covering the brake 100% of the time that you aren't on the throttle, and even when you are on the throttle and near potential danger. The time it takes to reach the lever and sort out what you're doing translates into distance on the road that is literally the difference between life and death.

Always, always cover the brakes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

My philosophy is your engine will always be doing some of the braking but don’t rely on it and always have the front brakes at least covered enough to activate the lights. If you suddenly need to apply a lot more brake for any reason your reaction time will be slower if you have to reach up for the lever so you may as well have your hand up there anyway.

If you're on a country road you shouldn't be coasting on a shut throttle, period. If there are no cars conditioning your lines and stuff then there's no excuse for not riding properly - either you're on the brakes or you're on the throttle. 'Engine braking' is not a legitimate thing on motorbikes in the sense that you never do it by itself, you always use the brakes. But yeah the reality of traffic is you often have no choice cause people drive stupid.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Round here, on country roads, at the national speed limit of 60mph, being on the throttle for more than 3 seconds will result in speed limits being broken, and that too by a wide margin.

At 6 seconds of being on the throttle, it'd be not just fines and points, but jail time and license revocation, should a cop happen by*.

*they never happen by.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Steakandchips posted:

Round here, on country roads, at the national speed limit of 60mph, being on the throttle for more than 3 seconds will result in speed limits being broken, and that too by a wide margin.

At 6 seconds of being on the throttle, it'd be not just fines and points, but jail time and license revocation, should a cop happen by*.

*they never happen by.

Being on throttle isn't the same as being wide open on throttle

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nonsense. It's a throttle. It's either on or off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nonsense. It's a throttle. It's either on or off.

As a 125 rider, this is correct. :v:

Slavvy posted:

Holy gently caress there's some bad instructors out there, jesus! You should be covering the brake 100% of the time that you aren't on the throttle, and even when you are on the throttle and near potential danger. The time it takes to reach the lever and sort out what you're doing translates into distance on the road that is literally the difference between life and death.

This was my thinking. If I know where the lever is because MY FINGERS ARE ON IT I can certainly give it a squeeze just that little bit quicker than if I have to extend fingers to grab it first.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It’s interesting to learn what experience teaches versus what the instructors tell you

I would take the cover brakes topic akin to shooters that cover the trigger with their finger always

We were taught to only touch the trigger when you were prepared to shoot. This goes a long way to preventing idiots shooting other idiots , or themselves

In my mind , it’s 50/50 on covering the front brake, depending on road conditions traffic etc etc, and experience

If you’re a seasoned rider you will cover when you know it will be used for small speed adjustments , A new rider may have a tendency to snatch the brake lever if they’re not covering it and something happens , because they’re grabbing at it instead of squeezing it progressively

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Blue On Blue posted:

It’s interesting to learn what experience teaches versus what the instructors tell you

I would take the cover brakes topic akin to shooters that cover the trigger with their finger always

We were taught to only touch the trigger when you were prepared to shoot. This goes a long way to preventing idiots shooting other idiots , or themselves

Post/username

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

*they never happen by.

The throttle has settings other than 100% fyi

Blue On Blue posted:

In my mind , it’s 50/50 on covering the front brake, depending on road conditions traffic etc etc, and experience

If you’re a seasoned rider you will cover when you know it will be used for small speed adjustments , A new rider may have a tendency to snatch the brake lever if they’re not covering it and something happens , because they’re grabbing at it instead of squeezing it progressively

I get what you're saying but no. Learning wrong technique just makes you ride wrong and makes it harder for someone to train you out of being wrong later. Most instructors try to dumb poo poo down to maintain a certain pass rate - this is the wrong way to do it, you should be taught to understand that bike from first principles, not taught habits by rote. If you snatch at the brake you haven't been taught right and shouldn't be riding. This is I guess analogous to never ever pointing a gun at anyone even if you know it's competely unloaded; makes no difference where your trigger finger is if it's always pointing at the ground/sky. If you like waving a gun around you shouldn't have one in your hand.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Huh. My MSF instructor explicitly told everyone never to cover the brakes, that the clutch is the safety mechanism. I can see why...many brand new riders have issues with whiskey throttle or panic movements. Can't lock the tires or loop a bike with a clutch held in as your focus.

Haven't really thought about it much lately. These days I do ride as you suggest as it's the most natural. I can see covering while under throttle if near danger, like I don't know a lot of merging and construction.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

Bad comparison, bad post.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The throttle has settings other than 100% fyi

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Huh. My MSF instructor explicitly told everyone never to cover the brakes, that the clutch is the safety mechanism. I can see why...many brand new riders have issues with whiskey throttle or panic movements. Can't lock the tires or loop a bike with a clutch held in as your focus.

Haven't really thought about it much lately. These days I do ride as you suggest as it's the most natural. I can see covering while under throttle if near danger, like I don't know a lot of merging and construction.

Oh no, a car appeared out of nowhere *pulls clutch, sails straight into the car*

Honestly what I've learned here is that instructors are even worse than I thought.

Russian Bear posted:

Bad comparison, bad post.

As a foreigner with a purely intellectual interest, it is genuinely funny how much mentioning guns reflexively winds you guys up. You can't even tell it's happening!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: two good ones in one day, what did they put in your coffee

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

As a foreigner with a purely intellectual interest, it is genuinely funny how much mentioning guns reflexively winds you guys up. You can't even tell it's happening!

I'm more wound up by the backwards logic of the post.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
My msf instructor definitely yelled at people for covering the front brake too much, but I think that was because she wanted to make sure people weren't braking while cornering and that they were using the clutch to control speed during low speed maneuvers.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Which was 90% of the course, I should add

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

:lol: two good ones in one day, what did they put in your coffee

Medium Italians:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Slavvy posted:

Most instructors try to dumb poo poo down to maintain a certain pass rate - this is the wrong way to do it, you should be taught to understand that bike from first principles, not taught habits by rote.
I wonder how much of it is training in the US generally being packed into ~8 hours or fewer of on bike instruction. Trail braking is a good example, it should be a fundamental but you're told to not touch the brakes in a corner at all. Which I guess is fine for learning absolute basics of keeping a motorcycle upright in an empty parking lot at low speed and not being overwhelmed. Not covering the brake is baffling though, I don't remember if my basic rider course mentioned that or not. Maybe like trail braking it's considered too much to process for the completely new?

Anyway new riders should start getting into more advanced courses right after taking the licensing class, and practice somewhere safe as much as possible until it all starts to come together. Stuff like the Yamaha champ school has online videos with drills and really good advice to practice, I recently signed up for those and wish I had when I first started. Also I'm sure a lot of the meat from courses like that can be found for free scattered around the internet. Just look out for idiot Youtube superstars.

Slavvy posted:

If you like waving a gun around you shouldn't have one in your hand.
Well how else am I supposed to keep it at the ready if I feel threatened whilst motorcycling?? :911:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I'm more wound up by the backwards logic of the post.

Please. Enlighten

You realize the trigger finger argument was to an opposing side of the covering brake argument yes ?

Not in parallel

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dig up officer!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

We have like 20 mass shootings a week here. It winds some of us up, yeah.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Oh no, a car appeared out of nowhere *pulls clutch, sails straight into the car*

I have that song by AWOLNATION stuck in my head now while imaging that. 🤣

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

In a country where owning tools designed to kill people is a personal identity, it is a right and good thing to get wound up when someone uses them as an analogy poorly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bad analogies will continue until school casualties reduce!!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sarah Sanders, Trump’s 2nd bullshit peddler in chief, who will soon be the next governor of Arkansas, just said that children will be as safe in the womb as in classrooms, so expect more guns in ob/gyn clinics.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Need to find out if she prefers 'arkinsaw' or 'arr-kansas' and just constantly use the other one until she cracks.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Need to find out if she prefers 'arkinsaw' or 'arr-kansas' and just constantly use the other one until she cracks.

There's only one correct way to pronounce it, so you can use arr-kansas to troll people

I work with someone who pronounces Illinois as illi-noice and I'm still not sure if he's smoothbrained or just loving with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
PA is split between the old MSF and the newer Total Control BRC, and I was in a TC/BRC class. They wanted the clutch covered at all times, but not the brake. Trail braking was not talked about at all other than basically telling me it's not covered during the BRC, but I think I remember the instructor duo saying it's in the intermediate course. I didn't get knocked (that I know of anyway) for riding the rear brake during the cones though.