Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I am glad your situation is back under control Infinitum. I wasn't able to donate because the end of the month is a tough time for us but I hope my linking it in the trad games discord was able to help a little. Keep well, keep good, and most importantly, fairy bread isn't a real thing cmon stop joshing the rest of the world

C'mon FAK, of course fairy bread is real! :D Just because you don't see the merits of sprinkles doesn't mean you can deny its existence! <:mad:>

Also, I only just found out about all this Infinitum business because of these posts, so drat I read your OP and I'm glad it all worked out for you - phew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'll believe in fairy bread when we get 1XXs & 10XXs

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Now all I want is a game that focuses on making and selling fairy bread, getting the best components for the style you're going for (like different types of sprinkles and cream vs butter), in order to attain enough victory points to save summer and restore fun to the community, through culinary delights.

The fairy bread and VPs (represented by sprinkles) can even have their own fancy meeples, too! That oughta sell well :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the choice of font in the rulebook?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-752-banish-the-snakes.aspx

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For the rulebook?? I thought that was for Kickstarter publicity material. Gosh and golly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Love me some Player Mat Dicks

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kalko posted:

Introduced three friends to Eldritch Horror on the weekend and it went down really well, but it got me wondering what the newest edition of Arkham Horror is like. How does it compare in terms of game length or complexity? I never played any of its previous editions but I understand EH was a more casual or streamlined version of the original game.

I prefer AH3ed by a lot. Though I have only played EH twice so far, it seemed too meandering and dull to me. I often felt like I was just moving to a place hoping something would happen, instead of actually doing anything.
AH3ed imo has more variety, more flavor, more stuff happening, more direction and also better tension management. Actions are more interesting, the map has clear indicators of what kind of encounter you may find in each space, so you have room to plan and strategize.
The rules are a little bit more complex, but if you've played any FFG cthulhu game they all work more or less the same at their core, so I don't think it's much of an issue to move from one to the other.
The setup, teardown and storage is insane though.
In terms on length, maybe it's in part familiarity, but I have a regular group of 5 and we can get a game of AH3ed done in 3-4 hours. EH base game took us almost an entire day, and then we had to finish up on the next.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Taught The Crew og, Kokopelli, The Field of the Cloth of Gold, The Crew deep sea to a friend we don't see often.

He quite enjoyed the crew, as pretty much everyone does

We played Kokopelli twice so finally got to try not-starter cards some of which were completely off the wall: start a ceremony in someone else's area! have a fifth ceremony! people including you playing to your ceremonies get an extra action! Really enjoyed finally getting to try some of em. Maybe someday we'll actually open one of the mini expansions that came with the kickstarter copy we bought off someone who presumably played it once or twice total. Best way to get kickstarters imo.

Oddly, he didn't like FoCoG, first person I introduced it to who didn't gel with it. Didn't like the rather extreme lack of choices and control, which I suppose is fair enough.

Then we went for a couple deep sea missions, and he ended up liking that more than og, which is where we're at too.

And his kid entertained our two kids which let us play games at all, woohoo.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to play my copy of 1882 that showed up last week with 5P. Curious why this game has such a mixed reaction amongst the 18xx crowd as I really enjoyed it as an "1830... but" game. It plays quickly, the tiles are very limited, starting cash is tight, and the certificate limit is hilariously small. And I like the setting of the Canadian (mid?) West. No one made an East to West run in our game though partially because the tracks were so tough to make work and it was all our first game, except me who had played on .games maybe two years ago.

VVV I am hooked on them and will literally play them any chance I get so I am always looking for the elusive "faster playing but just as hard hitting" game. This is maybe up there for me right now and I sincerely believe that we could have it played in under 3 hours with a solid group that's paying attention and maybe doing a bit of mental route calculation too.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 27, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Got to play my copy of 1882 that showed on last week with 5P. Curious why this game has such a mixed reaction amongst the 18xx crowd as I really enjoyed it as an "1830... but" game. It plays quickly, the tiles are very limited, starting cash is tight, and the certificate limit is hilariously small. And I like the setting of the Canadian (mid?) West. No one made an East to West run in our game though partially because the tracks were so tough to make work and it was all our first game, except me who had played on .games maybe two years ago.

I'm a Lonny Ogler fan myself. And I find 18xx hard to get to the table in the first place so I'm rarely looking for more titles in the genre.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really think a big part of the problem with 1882 is that shortly after the design got announced by the publisher the designer outed himself as a turd, which soured lots of people on the game itself. I know a bunch of people who played it in beta before AAG picked it up and it had much better reviews then.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Got to play my copy of 1882 that showed up last week with 5P. Curious why this game has such a mixed reaction amongst the 18xx crowd as I really enjoyed it as an "1830... but" game. It plays quickly, the tiles are very limited, starting cash is tight, and the certificate limit is hilariously small. And I like the setting of the Canadian (mid?) West. No one made an East to West run in our game though partially because the tracks were so tough to make work and it was all our first game, except me who had played on .games maybe two years ago.

VVV I am hooked on them and will literally play them any chance I get so I am always looking for the elusive "faster playing but just as hard hitting" game. This is maybe up there for me right now and I sincerely believe that we could have it played in under 3 hours with a solid group that's paying attention and maybe doing a bit of mental route calculation too.

At a certain point, the limited city tiles became a gimmick to me rather than an interesting question. Either someone gets *completely screwed but is still in the game not bankrupt* or no one is, there was kinda no middle ground.

Otherwise eh I think I landed on enjoying it well enough, not at the top of my favorites but not at the bottom either. I did play an async tourney at one point, and that was pretty fun, some very tight games.

For "1830 but maybe shorter" I would play 1889 or 18MS over it any time, though, depending on whether I wanted the same financial feel (89) or the map play/train timing (MS, plus it's really short).

But then again, I've literally only played 1846 in person, everything else has been on .games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Infinitum posted:

Love me some Player Mat Dicks

Glad I'm not the only one that saw that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GenCon just announced a BIPOC zone. Where do I go to feast on the tears of angry white folk asking where their zone is?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Probably the Facebook group

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

djfooboo posted:

GenCon just announced a BIPOC zone. Where do I go to feast on the tears of angry white folk asking where their zone is?

wherever Jeremy Hambly is

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

djfooboo posted:

Where did you see this? The site mentions a three-hour BIPOC mixer: https://www.gencon.com/events/215243

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

In an email

"This year Gen Con, in partnership with Rose Gauntlet Entertainment, will be providing a lounge area for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) professionals and attendees. Attendees will find games created by BIPOC designers, a BIPOC creators’ game library, BIPOC art, scheduled events, giveaways, refreshments and a space to meet with fellow members of the community. Aspiring BIPOC professionals will find a space to meet other professionals, sign up for one-on-one meetings, obtain resources on companies hoping to work with and mentor BIPOC creators, etc."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mayveena posted:

In an email

"This year Gen Con, in partnership with Rose Gauntlet Entertainment, will be providing a lounge area for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) professionals and attendees. Attendees will find games created by BIPOC designers, a BIPOC creators’ game library, BIPOC art, scheduled events, giveaways, refreshments and a space to meet with fellow members of the community. Aspiring BIPOC professionals will find a space to meet other professionals, sign up for one-on-one meetings, obtain resources on companies hoping to work with and mentor BIPOC creators, etc."

that sounds so much better than what I expected

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

djfooboo posted:

they get an extra hour in the ball pit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

they get an extra hour in the ball pit

oh man, I just remembered that, lol

if this was before your time or you somehow missed this one, google "dashcon"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

djfooboo posted:

this is more for the industry thread since it's not really about board games. also it sounds pretty rad to be honest

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The largest domestic convention for the board game hobby announcing an area to celebrate and promote BIPOC designers’ work is definitively relative to the board game thread but go ahead and needlessly backseat mod for ??? reasons.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Slash their time in the ball pit imo

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Mayveena posted:

In an email

This is a good idea that I hope doesn't fall prey to the problems of colorism and attendant policing of mixed folks that often plague such spaces.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

this is more for the industry thread since it's not really about board games. also it sounds pretty rad to be honest

If it’s not about creating a space for BIPOC board gamers and designers then what is it about?? As a BIPOC myself, I’d like an explanation.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

https://keyforging.com/ghost-galaxy-acquires-keyforge/

....huh.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'm curious whether anyone substantiated the rumors of a big ransomware attack behind the scenes at FFG that ate the Keyforge deck generator (...somehow) and may have been responsible for Unfathomable's general lack of illustration, or whether that was just speculation.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

GetDunked posted:

I'm curious whether anyone substantiated the rumors of a big ransomware attack behind the scenes at FFG that ate the Keyforge deck generator (...somehow) and may have been responsible for Unfathomable's general lack of illustration, or whether that was just speculation.

Allegedly, Stephen Buonocore said something about the Keyforge incident on his Board Games Insider podcast, episode 210. I have not listened he could certainly be plugged in enough to know.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is BIPOC pronounced by each letter (bee eye pea oh sea) or is it pronounced like a word (bye-pock, bip-ock)?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Is BIPOC pronounced by each letter (bee eye pea oh sea) or is it pronounced like a word (bye-pock, bip-ock)?

I wasn't sure either - usually having only seen it written. Googling/random-Youtube-videos seem pretty consistent that it's this:

quote:

BIPOC is pronounced “buy pock” (“pock” as in “pocket”).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well that's an unfortunate pronunciation.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

Well that's an unfortunate pronunciation.

it's not unfortunate in the U.S.

on Googling, it's unfortunate in the U.K. (to save others the trouble, pock = pustule, sometimes the damaged spot therefrom, cf. uncommon-in-the-US "pock-marked")

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

For the record, this news is appropriate for both threads to discuss.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Leperflesh posted:

For the record, this news is appropriate for both threads to discuss.

And fantastic news, at that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

homullus posted:

it's not unfortunate in the U.S.

on Googling, it's unfortunate in the U.K. (to save others the trouble, pock = pustule, sometimes the damaged spot therefrom, cf. uncommon-in-the-US "pock-marked")

I was thinking of the BI, not the POC. As pronounced, it sounds like "buy [person of colour]".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A truly unhinged objection.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just scored NIS Chaos in the Old World and NIS Horned Rat in my local buy/sell/trade group! :woop:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

djfooboo posted:

I just scored NIS Chaos in the Old World and NIS Horned Rat in my local buy/sell/trade group! :woop:

drat, congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

djfooboo posted:

One of my all time favorite games. I'm surprised that FFG never re-released it with a generic theme, a la BSG->Unfathomable.