Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Mr.Booger posted:

So my group of friends have been expanding our rpg experience and we are on a bit if an OSR/Indie run after I ran a couple years of Starfinder and two failed attempts at a 5e game (the GM running it wanted to use hot springs island because of the cool handbook and hexcrawl style, but wanted to run 5e...which was a terrible combo)

We had a fun Mork Borg small campaign for a few months, and are on month 3 of a Troika run (one of the group's first time GMing and she's doing well). I just ordered a copy of Mausritter to be my next game, looks like a neat game with a tactile equipment/incumbrance system and nice open feel. I am a little concerned with the auto hit, go straight to damage style of combat though, we definitely have a murder-hobo in residence, and I can see the party charging in to fight and just getting slaughtered real quick.

Has anyone else tried Mausritter, and how did it go? Any complications encountered I should be aware of to tweak/be prepared for?

Mausritter is on my shelf but I haven't played it yet. I am a big fan of Into the Odd and other assorted hacks thereof, though. I was skeptical about the auto-hit at first, too, but honestly now I don't know how I'm expected to just go back to having to-hit rolls. You might not find it quite as lethal as you expect, but your murder hobo might be in for an awakening after their first failed Critical Damage save.

e: One tip for boosting survival chances: don't forget, like I did in the first fight when my group played ITO hack Cairn, that monsters also have to make the Strength save to stay conscious/fighting/alive if their HP runs out and they take Strength damage.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, I would caution that Mausritter has the potential to be very lethal very quickly like most OSR games. Just something to keep in mind if they start getting attached to their characters. You can mitigate this a little by allowing them to retreat, not having fights be to the death on either side, creating/encouraging alternative solutions to a situation besides violence, and so on.

Alternatively, embrace it and have a stable of premade back up characters, and introduce players back into the game immediately after they die. The automatic mouse generator is great for that.

Edit: although honestly I don't think Mausritter is much more lethal than Mork Borg, so your group is probably fine.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
My Mork Borg character lost a hand, a leg, an eye, his lower jaw, and wore a mask of hair he sewed teeth into as he thought it was magic and could protect him (it wasn't), but we only had two actual "never come back" deaths in the campaign, felt about right for our group.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mr.Booger posted:

My Mork Borg character lost a hand, a leg, an eye, his lower jaw, and wore a mask of hair he sewed teeth into as he thought it was magic and could protect him (it wasn't), but we only had two actual "never come back" deaths in the campaign, felt about right for our group.

I critically failed a test to not slip on oil and the dm made me take 1d6 points of damage, rolling enough to kill me outright. We were 30 minutes into a 4 hour game and he wouldn't let me roll a new character to join back in.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I critically failed a test to not slip on oil and the dm made me take 1d6 points of damage, rolling enough to kill me outright. We were 30 minutes into a 4 hour game and he wouldn't let me roll a new character to join back in.

Ugh, I would have some words with that GM, the whole point of dangerous/deadly games in that you can jump right back in with a new character. Hell most these games have one-click character generators for that express purpose.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Verisimilidude posted:

So you got to hang out and play the monsters at least, right? Or was it literally 'thanks for playing'??

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
That sucks rear end for any game, but especially Mork Borg, where character creation is very fast and rerolling means he gets to kill you horribly again. It should be win-win

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A Strange Aeon posted:

So you got to hang out and play the monsters at least, right? Or was it literally 'thanks for playing'??

the second one. I even asked if I could jump back in since we use that random character generator online, but nope :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Verisimilidude posted:

the second one. I even asked if I could jump back in since we use that random character generator online, but nope :(
drat.

That is really poo poo.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, I'm so thankful I've never been in a situation like that. That's some total poo poo, I hope you can find a better GM.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Verisimilidude posted:

That's messed up, confiscate their DMing card and report them

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Should have rolled a new dude and then kept Kramering your way into scenes regardless of what the DM said.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I was once in a 4e game that had people saying someone should throw a flag on the field and stop that guy from DMing. This is the OSR equivalent of that. The whole point of going back to high-lethality old school games is to pair it with rules where you can just sub in a new pc.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

critical failure or not, how do you take 1d6 damage from a 0-foot fall? was your character an 80-year-old man?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elephant Parade posted:

critical failure or not, how do you take 1d6 damage from a 0-foot fall? was your character an 80-year-old man?
It sounds exactly like the horror stories I heard about D&D groups when I was a teenager, that made me never want to play D&D. "We tried to go into the tavern, but the DM made us roll saves because the ground was muddy, and half of us fell in the mud and died."

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's weird how as a kid or early teenager you maybe think that is acceptable. Like, you don't know how to run the game so you just take the bad with the good, even though the bad is so bad.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
some other middle-school kid described to my longtime gaming buddy and me an RPG where you roll to see how much your hair and fingernails grow bc that affects the game.

he was talking about Rolemaster, which the aforementioned friend ended up GMing for us later, and while that kid wasn't right, he wasn't wrong. every time I go down my steep back steps I think about the fact that if I were a RM PC I'd have approximately a 3% chance of dying on those stairs every time I use them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel like at a certain point you realize you don't have to use dumb rules if you don't want to. Every RPG book says this but you don't really take it to heart when you're younger, even though I doubt two tables playing the same system in the history of the hobby ever actually played with the same exact rules.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Empty Sandwich posted:

some other middle-school kid described to my longtime gaming buddy and me an RPG where you roll to see how much your hair and fingernails grow bc that affects the game.

he was talking about Rolemaster, which the aforementioned friend ended up GMing for us later, and while that kid wasn't right, he wasn't wrong. every time I go down my steep back steps I think about the fact that if I were a RM PC I'd have approximately a 3% chance of dying on those stairs every time I use them.

:goonsay: rolemaster owns actually

this table is a game system in an a4 page:

to walk down the stairs you roll percentile on the routine column, assuming you're averagely skilled you probably need to roll a 20 or higher to get 100 (or, all the way down! well done).

If you roll an 01-05 you "open-end" down though! oh no, you slipped! keep rolling.

If you then roll a 96-00, you open-end again! keep rolling! oh poo poo you hosed up i warned you about stairs.

That starts you at ~-100, (which still means you made it a third of the way down) but you have to roll again, and assuming you get like 50 you still make it a little way down (10% of the way). So overall that's a 0.2% chance, since you have to roll a 5 in 100 chance twice in a row.

However if your third roll is 96-00 again, you might end up at -200, in which case you just fail to act at all, paralyzed by the horror of your back stairs.

Only if you break -201, which is (5%x5%x5%=0.001%) unlikely will you hurt yourself and that's only 3 hit points.

conversely it's possible to walk down the stairs so well you actually heal yourself, which is very 4e.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that said, it's easy to have a terrible time playing it with a bad dm, like if they rule that walking down your back stairs is a medium maneuver bones start snapping around the second open-end lol

I just feel compelled to stand up for it because it's a really tight game engine at its core, and the way it accommodates super unlikely events is really fun in practice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

to walk down the stairs you roll percentile on the routine column, assuming you're averagely skilled you probably need to roll a 20 or higher to get 100 (or, all the way down! well done).

If you roll an 01-05 you "open-end" down though! oh no, you slipped! keep rolling.

If you then roll a 96-00, you open-end again! keep rolling! oh poo poo you hosed up i warned you about stairs.

That starts you at ~-100, (which still means you made it a third of the way down) but you have to roll again, and assuming you get like 50 you still make it a little way down (10% of the way). So overall that's a 0.2% chance, since you have to roll a 5 in 100 chance twice in a row.

However if your third roll is 96-00 again, you might end up at -200, in which case you just fail to act at all, paralyzed by the horror of your back stairs.

Only if you break -201, which is (5%x5%x5%=0.001%) unlikely will you hurt yourself and that's only 3 hit points.

conversely it's possible to walk down the stairs so well you actually heal yourself, which is very 4e.

Thank you I now better understand what Hackmaster was mocking.

If you love these charts the best system is Dungeon Crawl Classics. The charts have so much flavor you don't even need to come up with a story. Just have someone try to cast a spell and a story will emerge!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

Thank you I now better understand what Hackmaster was mocking.

If you love these charts the best system is Dungeon Crawl Classics. The charts have so much flavor you don't even need to come up with a story. Just have someone try to cast a spell and a story will emerge!

quick wizard, cast the charm spell!

(rolls a 1 on a d20)

(1-4 nearby creatures randomly fall in love with each other)

(wizard's head turns into a fish)

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Wanna run a Rolemaster game except instead of a dungeon it’s a trip to the grocery store or night at the movies.

Going to release a module called “Black Friday” as this setting’s tomb of horrors.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

IIRC the primary purpose of that table is for exceeding your default movement rate in melee combat, so it's supposed to be a character trying to reach some square on the battlefield as if their life depended on it. It's an interesting way of handling tactical movement, by letting players push their luck for a bonus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LatwPIAT posted:

IIRC the primary purpose of that table is for exceeding your default movement rate in melee combat, so it's supposed to be a character trying to reach some square on the battlefield as if their life depended on it. It's an interesting way of handling tactical movement, by letting players push their luck for a bonus.

we used it for everything, but yeah.

while we are on OG tables, i was looking at warhammer 2e criticals and they are just incredibly brutal

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Lol the whole chart is "instant death" and you are rolling to see the brutality the mortal kombat fatality description

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

sebmojo posted:

while we are on OG tables, i was looking at warhammer 2e criticals and they are just incredibly brutal

WHFRP's criticals are a very interesting game design element because they're basically a save-vs-death when you hit at 0 HP, and the more hit points you lose the harder the save. It creates this interesting space where once hit points run out, things get extremely dangerous and you're playing as someone living on borrowed time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Paladin posted:

Wanna run a Rolemaster game except instead of a dungeon it’s a trip to the grocery store or night at the movies.

Going to release a module called “Black Friday” as this setting’s tomb of horrors.

You have been drinking for 12 hours straight and now need to go and get a burger.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mode 7 posted:

You have been drinking for 12 hours straight and now need to go and get a burger.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

LatwPIAT posted:

WHFRP's criticals are a very interesting game design element because they're basically a save-vs-death when you hit at 0 HP, and the more hit points you lose the harder the save. It creates this interesting space where once hit points run out, things get extremely dangerous and you're playing as someone living on borrowed time.
Yeah, and it really works for the 'you feel distressingly mortal but PCs are actually pretty difficult to kill' that I really like for WFRP. The corruption rules and fate points help build that feeling too - opening a cursed tome feels dangerous even though it (probably) won't immediately ruin you.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebmojo posted:

I only have 2 hitponts you loving philistine

I think we actually played more RM than D&D. the guy who ran it for us is an accountant these days, which just makes sense.

I thought I was only slightly exaggerating the math, but I'm glad I was off by a couple orders of magnitude. we did have the occasional mishap on something that in retrospect shouldn't have been a roll.

the one that sticks with me isn't one of those but a critical fumble where I was so impressed with the smooth moves of a stationary golem that hadn't been activated that I was sidelined for two rounds.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sebmojo posted:

that said, it's easy to have a terrible time playing it with a bad dm, like if they rule that walking down your back stairs is a medium maneuver bones start snapping around the second open-end lol

I just feel compelled to stand up for it because it's a really tight game engine at its core, and the way it accommodates super unlikely events is really fun in practice.

Rolemaster is a solid game at its core, but there's a reason why it's often called "Rollmaster" or "Rulesmaster".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, and there's a reason why i never extol the character creation process, where you roll three sets of 10d% for actual, derived and potential stats, then each level roll for each of the 10 stats to see if it moves towards or away from your potential final stat. Or how you have to buy hit points as a skill, and spell ranks just give you a chance of learning spells, or how you are supposed to record every hp of damage given or taken, and crit given or received for experience as well as every mile traveled and a bunch of other bullshit.

Combat and skill use is slick, fast and extremely flavoursome though, roll a number, add a number, look up the result. I've used it with a bunch of other systems (d&d, mage, bushido, eclipse phase) and it is always more fun than the original resolution system.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, and there's a reason why i never extol the character creation process, where you roll three sets of 10d% for actual, derived and potential stats, then each level roll for each of the 10 stats to see if it moves towards or away from your potential final stat. Or how you have to buy hit points as a skill, and spell ranks just give you a chance of learning spells, or how you are supposed to record every hp of damage given or taken, and crit given or received for experience as well as every mile traveled and a bunch of other bullshit.

Combat and skill use is slick, fast and extremely flavoursome though, roll a number, add a number, look up the result. I've used it with a bunch of other systems (d&d, mage, bushido, eclipse phase) and it is always more fun than the original resolution system.

That reminds me of GURPS' strengths and weaknesses(as a game), honestly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

That reminds me of GURPS' strengths and weaknesses(as a game), honestly.

yep. if you grew up with gurps and can see the simplicity behind the numbers it's probably amazing, if you didn't it's not.

so i do get why people look at this and shudder nervously lol

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This is getting far afield but keeping track of every point of damage taken reminded me of Aces and Eights, where unless you had some medical training you couldn't tell how injured your character was, so if you got shot, it wasn't immediately obvious if it was life threatening or not a big deal.

That always intrigued me but I don't know how it would actually play at table.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Unknown Armies is supposed to be run that way, with the players never seeing damage rolls directed at them. In practice it doesn't work out like that because
  • it's yet another thing for the GM to track
  • In Unknown Armies your roll to hit is also your damage roll, meaning that any opposed roll from the GM has to be checked against your own die result
  • Unknown Armies is full of player facing special abilities, dice manipulation, and other mechanics that further modify the amount of incoming damage, requiring the GM to track those as well
  • Some character types have abilities that further manipulate HP and damage after it's already occurred, at which point the GM is going to say "gently caress it" and just have players track it themselves.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In OSE, variable weapon damage is an optional rule - the ‘basic’ rule is that everything dealt 1d6. Since that’s off Basic/Expert I would assume that there were very specific kinds of people who would die on the hill that a long sword had the same damage variance as a punch or a dagger. As DCC put it, rolling dice is fun, and an excuse to roll weird shaped dice, though potentially cumbersome, is also fun.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

aldantefax posted:

In OSE, variable weapon damage is an optional rule - the ‘basic’ rule is that everything dealt 1d6. Since that’s off Basic/Expert I would assume that there were very specific kinds of people who would die on the hill that a long sword had the same damage variance as a punch or a dagger. As DCC put it, rolling dice is fun, and an excuse to roll weird shaped dice, though potentially cumbersome, is also fun.

The Black Pudding zine's house rules that weapon dice 'explode' (i.e if you roll the highest possible roll on the dice, you roll the dice again and add to the total, and roll again if you rolled maximum again, etc) best imitate to a point that, yeah, a long sword can gently caress you up but someone with a dagger who gets close enough can really gently caress you up. You get to roll the weird shaped dice AND acknowledge that a dagger isn't necessarily 'weaker' than a long sword without going into overly complicated 'sneak attack' nonsense.

The house rules may be in full in the new GOZR book they've just ended the Kickstarter campaign for.

sebmojo posted:

quick wizard, cast the charm spell!

(rolls a 1 on a d20)

(1-4 nearby creatures randomly fall in love with each other)

(wizard's head turns into a fish)

The Dagon Dating Agency is now open!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

LashLightning posted:

The Black Pudding zine's house rules that weapon dice 'explode' (i.e if you roll the highest possible roll on the dice, you roll the dice again and add to the total, and roll again if you rolled maximum again, etc) best imitate to a point that, yeah, a long sword can gently caress you up but someone with a dagger who gets close enough can really gently caress you up. You get to roll the weird shaped dice AND acknowledge that a dagger isn't necessarily 'weaker' than a long sword without going into overly complicated 'sneak attack' nonsense.

We tried this in a AD&D game with just weapon damage dice. Not dice from special abilities and not spell damage. Made things a little more tense and balanced stuff out with spell casters some. It was interesting, but the game didn’t last that long and was many many years ago. I would try it again. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Also, I’m the Rolemaster GMing accountant mentioned above. The randomness was sometimes stupid, but also gave us many memorable stories. most of the stupid stuff was rolling for things we probably shouldn’t have, or setting a difficulty way to high or low. I used a lot of random encounters too and that led to stuff like level 2 characters having to negotiate with or evade things like dragons. I’m not anti encounter balance. But it is fun to have NPCs and monsters that the characters just can’t defeat in combat sometimes and seeing what can be done with it.