Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

retpocileh posted:

Rumor has it that the M2 Pro / Max / Ultra chips are gonna be produced on TSMC's 3nm node instead of the 5nm node they're using for the base M2 chips:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/27/m2-pro-chip-3nm-report/

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All the reasons more for me to wait for the M2 14/16 inchers..

But I might wanna get a refurb air or 13 inch pro in the meantime and trade it in for the new hotness later

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Based on historical record what will happen to 16in M1 pricing when the 16 M2 drops? Nothing and its just discontinued?

edit: also I haven't done a deep dive into the M2 memory setup but if the 13in has 8/16/24GB options whats the current guess on memory options for the 14/16in M2?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 28, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Retailers will start discounting weeks/months before the new one drops in an effort to clear out stock beforehand.

Apple will take the store down for the keynote and when the M2 is released the old one disappears from the site never to be seen again. (Old stock likely ends up on the refurb store)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So I have a 2015 MBP and I'm hearing this weird crackling noise. I think it's related to how fast the fan is spinning because it gets much louder when the fan speeds up. I tried opening it up and blowing out any dust and that hasn't helped. I also tried the reset PRAM or whatever when you turn on the computer. Does anyone have an idea of whats it is?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

keevo posted:

So I have a 2015 MBP and I'm hearing this weird crackling noise. I think it's related to how fast the fan is spinning because it gets much louder when the fan speeds up. I tried opening it up and blowing out any dust and that hasn't helped. I also tried the reset PRAM or whatever when you turn on the computer. Does anyone have an idea of whats it is?

the only physical movement that should be happening inside of a post-2013 MBP is the fan(s). If I had to guess there’s probably something broken in the fan or a foreign body of some kind (dust/hair/pebble/crumb/etc) stuck in there that scrapes and grinds when the fan spins.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is there even a date set yet for when the m2 airs will be available?

the performance gains shown in the 13" m2 pro reviews have been very underwhelming, so i'm thinking i might just pick up an m1 air instead. i've seen them hit $850 new a couple times since the m2 announcement. i could wait and see what initial impressions of the air redesign are if that's imminent, but if it's gonna be months i think i'll just pull the trigger on an m1 now and be happy saving 40% compared to the cost of the m2 air.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah I made a similar decision.

I went with a base model refurbished M1 Air over an upgraded custom configuration M2 Air. The base model refurbished M1 at $850 was almost half the price.

I purchased the computer as a replacement for my Chromebook, which I mostly use as a couch computer, so I’m thinking I might not notice the lower spec MacBook. Hopefully 8GB RAM won’t be too little RAM years from now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hatty posted:

All this sticker talk makes me wonder if people still put stickers on their MacBook or if that stopped being trendy since I’ve left college and thus lost access to knowing what’s cool. I’ve always been too concerned about resale value to do it personally

I used to be one of those weirdo nerds who needed every piece of his technology to be pristine, but now I'm a 35 year old man with random stickers on everything.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Stickers are cool

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*carefully affixes "Intel Inside" to palm rest*

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've been toying with the idea of buying a dock for my M1 Air. The Caldigit TS3 seemed like a solid choice, but now that the TS4 is available it has somehow started to creep up in price, which means the price gap is now closer to ~50€ than the previous ~100€ difference*. What gives me pause, though, is that the TS4 has much worse reviews and plenty of complaints about issues (dealing with sleep, external displays, kernel panics etc.).

Since those complaints are found with pretty much every TB4 dock, I'm guessing that this is a problem with Apple's TB4 drivers? Obviously none of you can predict the future, but judging by Apple's track record, would it be reasonable to expect these issues to be fixed sometime soon?

* I do know that my MacBook Air can't utilize the benefits of TB4, but docks being as expensive as they are, I'd rather avoid buying an outdated one, considering that the price difference isn't all that high.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
no idea about TB4 drivers, but I did this morning decide to finally sell my Caldigit TS3 if you're interested in a cheaper second-hand one. it works great but I now have a studio so it's sitting in a closet

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

take boat posted:

no idea about TB4 drivers, but I did this morning decide to finally sell my Caldigit TS3 if you're interested in a cheaper second-hand one. it works great but I now have a studio so it's sitting in a closet

I've been looking into this some more, and it's starting to look like the TS4 is having some issues that other products, like the OWC TB4 dock, aren't having. I guess I'll wait and see until that becomes available here.

Buying your TS3 sounds like an interesting option, but unless you live in Europe, it's unfortunately a non-starter thanks to shipping/customs.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Badly Jester posted:

I've been looking into this some more, and it's starting to look like the TS4 is having some issues that other products, like the OWC TB4 dock, aren't having. I guess I'll wait and see until that becomes available here.

Buying your TS3 sounds like an interesting option, but unless you live in Europe, it's unfortunately a non-starter thanks to shipping/customs.

ha yeah, that would probably not be worth it. it's a bummer if the problem is Caldigit specific, my impression was they were one of the better (if expensive) vendors. (although I guess better than the problem being with Apple's drivers)

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Dumb question but how capable is the baseline M1 air for relatively basic CAD? I’m talking like designing objects for 3D printing, not multi-component builds.

Part of me wants to spec out a 10-core GPU M2 with 16 gb of RAM for $1600

The other part wants to get an 8gb M1 for half that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

App13 posted:

Dumb question but how capable is the baseline M1 air for relatively basic CAD? I’m talking like designing objects for 3D printing, not multi-component builds.

Part of me wants to spec out a 10-core GPU M2 with 16 gb of RAM for $1600

The other part wants to get an 8gb M1 for half that

I think buying any computer with less than 16gb these days is a mistake period. We’re at that point.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Any idea when reviews for the M2 Air might drop? Does Apple usually provide those to media early, or will they likely get posted the same day they become available for purchase?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

I think buying any computer with less than 16gb these days is a mistake period. We’re at that point.

I don’t agree personally. I get what you’re saying, but in my own experience 8GB is fine. For OP, I think I would recommend picking up an 8GB and trying it out. If it holds up to your workload, then don’t fret too much about future needs.

You can return it within 14 days, so there’s not much at stake. You can also sell it in a few year’s time if you find it lacking then, likely at much less of a loss than a similarly equipped PC.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

nitsuga posted:

I don’t agree personally. I get what you’re saying, but in my own experience 8GB is fine. For OP, I think I would recommend picking up an 8GB and trying it out. If it holds up to your workload, then don’t fret too much about future needs.

You can return it within 14 days, so there’s not much at stake. You can also sell it in a few year’s time if you find it lacking then, likely at much less of a loss than a similarly equipped PC.

I really wouldn't go for 8 GB if your needs are more than browsing the web and maybe using some kind of word processor on occasion.
And the person asking is not going to be using it to casually browse the web, they're looking to use it for CAD.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

I really wouldn't go for 8 GB if your needs are more than browsing the web and maybe using some kind of word processor on occasion.
And the person asking is not going to be using it to casually browse the web, they're looking to use it for CAD.

A refurb M1 with 16gb and my veteran discount is like $900, vs a similar build on the M2 being $1400, so I think I’ll go with the M1 and see how it goes

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apple has vet discount?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Yep, I believe it’s 10%. Just have to login with ID.me if you’re buying online.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dang thats nice. And you can stack that with the Apple card 3%? :salute:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh, that kind of vet.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Dang thats nice. And you can stack that with the Apple card 3%? :salute:

Oh poo poo I didn’t even think of that. Dope.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Binary Badger posted:

Also, many YTubers report that along with the chassis from 2016, the boxes that Apple ships them in are the same exact boxes used for the M1 MacBook Pro, but with a M2 sticker in the right place.. peel off that sticker and the M1 label is clearly visible. C'mon, Apple, really? Getting real cheap there..

They should definitely be thrown on a landfill instead. 🙄

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I saw a Luke M video where he pointed out old MacBook airs (2013-2016 models) are super cheap on eBay, and how even though they don't get new operating systems their great couch/cromebook like machines, for $100 bucks on eBay. (easy to replace the ssd and the battery too). I looked them up and you can find a pretty good condition one for like $150. I'm slightly tempted just for a (i'm not worried if it breaks or is stolen) machine at a coffee shop purely for writing/music purposes).

Weird side projects aside, waiting on the new mac mini's and m2 14 inch pro's. Does anyone remember how long it took for the base 14 inch ones to get down to $1800?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwE7UUEYgcg

Andrew Tsai concludes after testing a 512 GB M2 MBP vs. an M1 MBP with 512 GB SSD that Apple is cheaping out on the NAND chips used on the M2

He finds that the M1 512 GB SSD is faster in nearly every category of Amorphous Disk Test.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hmm hopefully that will be better for the 14/16 fingers crossed although I’m most likely getting 1T+

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Will be interesting if this holds true with larger storage configs and/or the M2 Pro/Max machines. The good news is this speed difference is essentially meaningless for the vast majority of users.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it's a bit cheap of them to do that but i doubt anyone will notice in real world use

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwE7UUEYgcg

Andrew Tsai concludes after testing a 512 GB M2 MBP vs. an M1 MBP with 512 GB SSD that Apple is cheaping out on the NAND chips used on the M2

He finds that the M1 512 GB SSD is faster in nearly every category of Amorphous Disk Test.

Interesting. I’m hoping they’re just putting the shittier parts in the cheaper ‘Pro’ and the new Airs are getting slightly better nand chips.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Maybe they're just cheaping out on the 13 pro BOM in specific because they know anyone buying that model won't care.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

frogbs posted:

Any idea when reviews for the M2 Air might drop? Does Apple usually provide those to media early, or will they likely get posted the same day they become available for purchase?

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/29/macbook-air-m2-available-friday-july-15/

So, possibly orders open on July 8, which means reviews either the 7th or 14th.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Maybe they're just cheaping out on the 13 pro BOM in specific because they know anyone buying that model won't care.

ding ding ding

This is my assessment as well, the REAL pro machines are gonna be the ones with the Pro / Max chips.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

ding ding ding

This is my assessment as well, the REAL pro machines are gonna be the ones with the Pro / Max chips.

Seems unlikely to me they'd use less dense NAND chips for the Air but higher density chips for the Pro. It'll probably be the same. And SSDs with fewer chips have always been slower, this is nothing new.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Today I had to work with my laptop on my lap for a couple hours and it made me decide that I'm gonna hang on to my M1 14" order and not wait for the M2 machines. My legs were a sweaty mess from the heat and from 1pm to 3:30pm my battery went from 100% to 17%. All I was doing was running a couple of node dev servers and a single dockerized Rails app. August can't come soon enough.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

My work gave me an i9 2019 Macbook Pro. It is so incredibly loud and hot doing almost nothing. What a weird machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's so distressing that they made that thing. I literally found myself using my unsanctioned, un-VPN'd 2012 15" to do dev work because it was more efficient and generally pleasant to use.