Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Survivor.

I actually prefer Survivor to Raise Your Flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I actually prefer Survivor to Raise Your Flag.

That's a bit unusual, in my experience. Survivor's always been the weakest of IBO's five openers, in my opinion, while Raise Your Flag is the strongest. And from Man with a Mission being tapped to make the OP for the special edition I think I'm not alone in really liking Raise Your Flag.

Is it more really liking Survivor, or not caring for Raise Your Flag, or just feeling that it has a tone that you prefer?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dunno, I'm fine with Raise Your Flag too, Survivor just presses more of the right buttons in my head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fighter is the one I'm not so keen on. It's more generic, less catchy, and doesn't set quite as strong a tone as the first three OPs.

In general, I normally watch OPs because I consider them part of the overall experience of an episode, getting you into a certain mood, setting the tone, and preparing your expectations. It can also be cool to see the same piece of music and footage acquire different meanings as a show progresses - Madoka Magica is one of the most famous examples (where you only find out what the OP lyrics even mean quite late in the show), but most series have at least some of that going on to some small extent.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I always like the "watch the OP of the first episode I watch today and the ED of the last episode I watch today" plan. If the season is new I'll watch both for a few episodes to let them sink in. They're part of the experience but seeing the same 2 music videos can get grating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on the show if I do that or not.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the IBO EDs not being that good after the first one is a bummer because one of Nagai's schticks as a director is cool ED drops but he doesn't have much to work with there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OOOORUFAAAAANS NAMIDA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they got kishow or granrodeo for one of the EDs, which is perfect aesthetic match even if it wasn't an amazing song

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9x523hRKeo
ok nah it did slap, i just don't like s2 so it negatively affected my perception lol

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

the IBO EDs not being that good after the first one is a bummer because one of Nagai's schticks as a director is cool ED drops but he doesn't have much to work with there

Freesia is a meme, but it's also a really solid song, and it's used well with the ED drops. For good or ill, people remember its use in season 2.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

War and Pieces posted:

Ok the Shrike team is weird!!

There's a lot of weird stuff in Victory that involves adult women and Uso. I like Victory and even I go "what's up with all this pedophilia?"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's thematic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

closing the timeloop to create Misato

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam Thread 5: It's thematic pedophilia

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It’s all loving gross and Victory is a really fuckin bad series

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
While the Shrike team stuff get really weird it's not as bad and creepy as everything with Lupe. I feel like her whole "lets take a bath with a child" and then getting super gross about Uso gets lost with all the other bad stuff in Victory.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The thing that makes it really frustrating for me is that we see so many Zanscare characters pursuing the lifestyle Uso had (but committing genocide to get there instead of being a good honest illegal immigrant) and the next narrative step being someone going after Uso himself is definitely interesting. If Lupe Cineau was trying to mother Uso, who lost his mom in this war, it would work thematically well and build towards the same violent rejection we saw in the actual episode... but what we got was gross. I like Victory a lot, but it works its hardest to fight against being recommended to anyone.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No one complains when the mobile suits lose their pants but when a person does it

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Hell, it's an intended feature on 3 or 4 Gundans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Homer Simpson's favourite mobile suit is the Bawoo.

Don't believe me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV165QV4b_w

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The thing that makes it really frustrating for me is that we see so many Zanscare characters pursuing the lifestyle Uso had (but committing genocide to get there instead of being a good honest illegal immigrant) and the next narrative step being someone going after Uso himself is definitely interesting. If Lupe Cineau was trying to mother Uso, who lost his mom in this war, it would work thematically well and build towards the same violent rejection we saw in the actual episode... but what we got was gross. I like Victory a lot, but it works its hardest to fight against being recommended to anyone.

Is this where I say how awkward it is that Uso complains so much about illegal immigration when he first meets the other kids despite him being in the same position? Because it's awkward.

It's not that you can't have your lead be unsympathetic or anything, it's just that the show doesn't feel like it knows what it wants to do with him being unsympathetic there. It's just a thing that happens. Uso is an illegal immigrant from space who gets mad at anyone else doing it, until he doesn't, which is only like a couple episodes later.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There’s something really unique about how victory isn’t so much a bad series in as much as its a cruel series. It revels in hurting the characters and upsetting the audience to, essentially, no end. It’s not really trying to make a point or evoke some sort of pointed emotional response, it’s just “gently caress you, gently caress this, gently caress me, gently caress everything” as an anime. You can’t even really say it’s going for “war is hell” because plenty of gundam projects before and since achieved that without sinking to the depths of Victory, and a lot of the series is doing poo poo that is too weirdly specific to be about the dehumanizing effects of war in general.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Is this where I say how awkward it is that Uso complains so much about illegal immigration when he first meets the other kids despite him being in the same position? Because it's awkward.

It's not that you can't have your lead be unsympathetic or anything, it's just that the show doesn't feel like it knows what it wants to do with him being unsympathetic there. It's just a thing that happens. Uso is an illegal immigrant from space who gets mad at anyone else doing it, until he doesn't, which is only like a couple episodes later.

Apparently that's a mistranslation, and Uso is an illegal resident, not an illegal immigrant i.e. he was born on Earth, but his parents never got the special registration needed by the Federation to allow him to live on Earth. They might be illegal residents or illegal immigrants themselves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There’s something really unique about how victory isn’t so much a bad series in as much as its a cruel series. It revels in hurting the characters and upsetting the audience to, essentially, no end. It’s not really trying to make a point or evoke some sort of pointed emotional response, it’s just “gently caress you, gently caress this, gently caress me, gently caress everything” as an anime. You can’t even really say it’s going for “war is hell” because plenty of gundam projects before and since achieved that without sinking to the depths of Victory, and a lot of the series is doing poo poo that is too weirdly specific to be about the dehumanizing effects of war in general.

This was right before Tomino did his self reflection and was like "poo poo, I gotta chill," right?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tomino never needed to chill.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

RevolverDivider posted:

It’s all loving gross and Victory is a really fuckin bad series

I get what FLCL was critiquing

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

God I am so loving pumped to finish this series

(I am in a bad place rn)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Tomino never needed to chill.

Tomino disagrees.

He did a whole book about how much better he felt once Turn A helped him chill.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IBO EP 15

No we're getting into the interesting stuff. The three pov's ends up working out great here with each of the groups having incomplete pictures of the situation it leads to some nice complications with Savarin thinking Atra is Kudelia, and Kudelia herself being lead out of a trap but being forced to confront her spy maid. With Kudelia, Biscuit, and Mika all seperated from Orga they all have to come up with their own plans for how to deal with the situation. Biscuit's is very him, tactful but not yielding, trying to get the information about why Savarin wants Kudelia so bad in the first place, and appealing to emotion. Mika's is just full action no plan, which is great for taking out some guards but is terrible for actually accomplishing anything of note, luckily Orga bails him out once again. Kudelia is the most interesting because you finally start getting a picture of why she's been trying to become a liberation figure, her exchange with Fumitan is great. It's similar to Blood's reaction to Patera Silk, or certain versions of Lex Luthor's relationship with superman. She herself is so broken down and without hope, completely given into cynicism, she wishes she could tear down Kudelia to her level. Despite that though she finds the very concept of someone still being filled with hope after everything is magnetic, she can't bring herself to bring harm to her even if it's her job and duty.

Biscuit and Savarin have also got a nice little Trolley Problem on their hands. It seems like Savarin has just became "The Man" and sold out his little bro like he sold out the Dort union. What we see later though is a man deeply conflicted about what he's doing, he tries to sell out "Kudelia" and then after he realizes she's fake Atra posing as Kudelia because he understands that the Union is going to lose. Progress is stalled on negotiations, and for someone as quick and high placed as him to see the article on Tekkaden delivering weapons with Kudelia everything falls into place, he more than anyone realizes that everyone in his old home is about to be wiped out because it's easier for the people in power to create a situation that enables them to use violence then it is for them to improve the situation in the colonies. For Savarin the only choice he can make to influence events is to try to get Kudelia into the authorities hands before poo poo pops off so he can save the Unionists. Even if that means burning his relationship with his family to the ground. The tragedy being he hosed up his relationship with Biscuit doing so, poo poo has already popped off when Gjallerhorn jumped the gun on raiding the weapon shipment and Kudelia not being present purely do to chance and Shireen making the choice to not force the issue, and the Unionists hate him because they think he became one of the government's people, even though I'm sure he did try to make things work between the two sides. Biscuit's, disgust is a strong word, disagreement with what he's doing is moral in the sense that Atra hasn't actually done anything, even the low level activism that Kudelia has, but not turning her over is going to be what gives the Authorities the Authority to authorize activist assassination actively.

The gears also start moving on some of the other plans going on in the background with Mr.Mask showing up, demonstrating a better grasp of the politics then Kudelia or Shireen has, and making clear that her Martyrdom is not in the cards yet. Massive props to Gaelio's ship's captain for having to deal with such a petulant individual on his birthday.

In terms of animation, this is easily the best directed episode so far, the opening taking the camera in an arc from one colony to the other emphasizes how far apart our actors are and the consequences of that as well as just giving us a good sense of place that this show and many other Gundam's can lack. Although that sometimes works in their favor, Wing feels so ethereal in part because it's impossible to tell where and when anyone in the show is most of the time. Then you get another shot with the Tekk crew "Upside down" in the colony, it's those little touches that A. Add Visual flair to otherwise static dialogue scenes and B. Hammer into your head that Gravity is negotiable in space. I wish more anime would take advantage of their complete freedom to do things like that more.

All in all, best episode of the series. Only needed more Mysterious Mask Man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You've hit the good stuff.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IBO EP 16
Not a lot to say that I haven't already last episode. Seeing all the competing conspiracies fire at once is always a good time. McMurdo and Nobliss both instantly knowing what happened leaves a bad taste in my mouth, PD feels like information should take some time to get out even to movers and shakers, especially in a situation like this. The theatricality of the massacre was perfectly scripted almost as if it's a common thing for Gjallerhorn to do. False flag bombing, use the Armor to blow up the enemy tanks while not killing any bodies, let them fire back, then pop smoke so the cameras can't see you mowing down civilians. If the camera hadn't gotten that perfect shot of Kudelia everything would've went swimmingly. Funny that Nobliss's intent to make false revolutionary Aida into a martyr backfires and turns her into an actual revolutionary figure. I don't think anyone's going to be mistaking Atra for her anytime soon. Fumitan's death is fine I guess, I never cared for her and in the end she really only serves to facilitate Kudelia's transition from activist to revolutionary. We do get a nice cameo of the Arianhod (sp?) fleet, mobilizing the whole fleet for this is a bit ridiculous, but it does give us a glimpse into Rustal's character, being willing to get his hands absolutely filthy in contrast to Gaelio who shows active distaste for the suppression and is almost ordered to stay the hell out of Dort while poo poo is going down, and also his ability to move decisively to put down threats the regime.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'll be honest i never much cared for the dort arc

it's fine but on a rewatch i'd be tempted to just skip it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

We do get a nice cameo of the Arianhod (sp?) fleet, mobilizing the whole fleet for this is a bit ridiculous, but it does give us a glimpse into Rustal's character, being willing to get his hands absolutely filthy in contrast to Gaelio who shows active distaste for the suppression and is almost ordered to stay the hell out of Dort while poo poo is going down, and also his ability to move decisively to put down threats the regime.

The fun thing?

That isn't the whole fleet. Or at least, it didn't look like it when I tried to count it up. I tallied 8 main battleships, in addition to a host of support craft and Mobile Suits.

In season 2, the Arianrhod fleet has forty Halfbeaks. This was only a small portion of Gjallarhorn's strength, and it could still crush all rebellion like a bug.

At minimum, Rustal's flagship, the Skipjack, is absent, which you'd think would be on the scene if this was a full fleet action rather than a smaller force sent around as a show of force.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
As creepy as Victory is, I still prefer Uso, mostly, over child characters like Kio from Gundam Age.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fivemarks posted:

As creepy as Victory is, I still prefer Uso, mostly, over child characters like Kio from Gundam Age.

I mean, Kio was used notoriously shittily. Saying "better than a person from AGE" is not exactly a high bar to clear.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chiasaur11 posted:

The fun thing?

That isn't the whole fleet. Or at least, it didn't look like it when I tried to count it up. I tallied 8 main battleships, in addition to a host of support craft and Mobile Suits.

In season 2, the Arianrhod fleet has forty Halfbeaks. This was only a small portion of Gjallarhorn's strength, and it could still crush all rebellion like a bug.

At minimum, Rustal's flagship, the Skipjack, is absent, which you'd think would be on the scene if this was a full fleet action rather than a smaller force sent around as a show of force.

Dort felt more like something a trusted subordinate is in charge of than something Rustal was personally running.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Argas posted:

Dort felt more like something a trusted subordinate is in charge of than something Rustal was personally running.

I think it fits the theme and goal of the Dort arc in the story for it to be a basic suppression op that is done so routinely that it doesn't require any attention from the real big wigs because the mid-level officers are so used to doing this kind of stuff on the regular. It's never really treated like a crisis or a serious problem by Gjallarhorn and they seem to have a well-established playbook of how to give the protestors enough rope to hang themselves in the court of propaganda and then pulling the noose tight in a way that looks good for the cameras.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Iok, Vidar and Julieta do a very similar thing in series two against the Oceanian Federation suits armed with grapple hooks. A full Seven Star, one in waiting and another one's pet terrier, so it's not exactly rogue Arianrod officers doing their own thing.

EDIT: The colony guys at least had real missiles on their ships this time

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 30, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

Iok, Vidar and Julieta do a very similar thing in series two against the Oceanian Federation suits armed with grapple hooks. A full Seven Star, one in waiting and another one's pet terrier, so it's not exactly rogue Arianrod officers doing their own thing.

EDIT: The colony guys at least had real missiles on their ships this time

That one seemed to be a genuine, well-equipped insurrection, which was why it took the intervention of Vidar to entirely turn the tide in the Arianrhod Fleet's favour. It was more a reflection of the growing instability of the solar system than business as usual for the powers that be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IBO EP 17

Honestly the TV crew is just making me wish Diethardt from Code Geass was here. Mostly just a fight episode, but you get another taste of just how prepared Gjallarhorn was, and how set up the whole revolt was. Locking the weapons is honestly overkill I think, you should probably make sure you lose at least one guy to make it seem real, granted Mika ends up filling that role.

The fight itself is not that special in terms of direction. Usually you don't see Two new robots revealed in one episode, and in this one we get three! The Ryusei Go gets a terrible first outing getting out fought by Ein in a Schwalbe. The Kimaris does well enough that I'm seriously regrading Gaelio's fighting ability, he pretty much dominates Mika with his speed, and even Mika's suicidal letting himself get stabbed to get a shot attack flops, if the Guison hadn't shown up Gaelio would've had a shot at a kill. The Guison gets a sort of pathetic debut that matches it's status as one of the ugliest mechs in all of gundam. Meshing enormous skirt armor, overly puffy shoulders, legs that don't seem to bend the right way, and a face that no mother could love. With the pièce de résistance being it's hideous colorscheme matched with an equally stupid name, it is truly one of the worst things in the franchise since the Bolinoak Samoan. Mika's desire and willingness to fight the entire Arianrhod fleet is nice, but fitting with his character an incredibly moronic idea.

Since we were talking about it these guys and at least two other characters say the fleet parked out there is the whole of the fleet, but they could very well be mistaken. The Skipjack and Rustal could've been absent just because the team hadn't finished designing them yet though, so we can't really say if that was the whole fleet or not. The point still stands, Rustal doesn't gently caress around with this poo poo and came in swinging hard enough to make sure he didn't have any fuckups like the Martian branch did.

ninjewtsu posted:

i'll be honest i never much cared for the dort arc

it's fine but on a rewatch i'd be tempted to just skip it

The best part of it all is how ancillary Tekkaden is to it all. Besides dropping off the weapons and Kudelia they really have no part to play in it at all. Considering Tekkaden is the weakest part of the show, and how much more interesting the inter colonary politics and Gjallarhorn is the arc that focuses on that part the most ends up being most interesting.