Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1540798233735217153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Someone call Clarence

This is a violation of his second amendment rights

Gonna laugh when this is the case to strike down Chicago's gun laws

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dexo posted:

Someone call Clarence

This is a violation of his second amendment rights

Gonna laugh when this is the case to strike down Chicago's gun laws

gently caress Clarence.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ZombieCrew posted:

gently caress Clarence.

You're getting hosed by Clarence whether you like it or not

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/BFawkes22/status/1542227183241900033

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I might have bit at 5.5.

But Come on, this is a two win team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
going to laugh when like having theoretically a non idiot running the offense, gets the Bears in their nice and comfy, 6-8 win total and third in the division they always find a way to hit, even when they are seemingly absolutely terrible on paper.

Vegas very rarely takes an absolute bath lol, happens of course, but yeah.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ESPN is ranking the Bears roster as 30th in the league, for whatever that's worth. 30th is usually putting a team in 3-4 win territory I think.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m suprised the bears are that low. They aren’t good but the NFC North is not very strong this year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m suprised the bears are that low. They aren’t good but the NFC North is not very strong this year

They really shouldn't be.

They won 6 games with an offense ran by a literal idiot who hated the QB.

Like Mooney is being treated as if he's some scrub, when he had a thousand year recieving year, often as the only reciever out there as Robinson was hurt, in an offense that was being run by a literal idiot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm not saying it's not possible, but lmao off the top Bears have won less than 4 games like 3(4?) times in my lifetime.

They are the perpetual 5-8 win team.

If I was betting, I'd probably bet the under on 6.5.

But it would not shock me if this stupid loving team Bearsed it's way to 7 wins, not getting a top pick in the draft and continuing to be just good enough to be invested and miserable

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This bears team has maybe 5 NFL players on it!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

This bears team has maybe 5 NFL players on it!

That's not fair! Backup and practice team players are players too!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking over the season schedule I see about 6, maybe 7 toss-up games on Chicago's schedule (HOU, @NYG, WAS, MIA, DET, @ATL, @NYJ). Say the law of averages hold and they win half of these games. To get to 7 wins, they have to knock off at least four of the following games:

SF, @GB, @MIN, @NE, @DAL, GB, PHI, BUF, @DET, MIN

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looking over the season schedule I see about 6, maybe 7 toss-up games on Chicago's schedule (HOU, @NYG, WAS, MIA, DET, @ATL, @NYJ). Say the law of averages hold and they win half of these games. To get to 7 wins, they have to knock off at least four of the following games:

SF, @GB, @MIN, @NE, @DAL, GB, PHI, BUF, @DET, MIN

Det, Min(x2), maybe Dal all winnable games and then they just have to win more than half of the other games.

Lol at @det not being a toss up

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miamis a toss up in the sense that you’ll probably be tossing up your lunch as Miami gets their 7th sack of the day 😎

(Miami will lose)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

Det, Min(x2), maybe Dal all winnable games and then they just have to win more than half of the other games.

I mean, Detroit does have the better roster at this point. Fields will probably be a better QB than Goff this season, but the Lions are built up enough elsewhere that, absent some horrendous injury luck like what happened last year, I think the Lions are an easy favorite against the Bears at home.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The bears will beat GB at least once this year, unless winning helps them in some way then they will gently caress it up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The bears will beat GB at least once this year, unless winning helps them in some way then they will gently caress it up

The bears have never beaten green Bay and never will

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 30, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

Lol at @detnot being a toss up

They will have home field advantage. Last season they won their final three home games. Jameson Williams will also be healthy, and if the Lions are anywhere in the vicinity of the playoff race I'm pretty sure Campbell won't have an issue motivating them to play hard.

It's not totally in their favor but I think they have a clear advantage that week compared to earlier in the season.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I miss Doug and OB.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m very excited to have a lot of free time on Sundays this fall.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Dexo posted:

They lost both games against the vikes last year and that was under checked out Zim with one of their worst defenses ever so those aren't really guaranteed either

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Basically the Bears need these at a minimum to go right for this season to be something they can build off for future seasons:
  • Eberflus and Getsy are worthwhile
  • Gordon, Brisker, plus at least one of the other players from the '22 draft turn out to be starter quality
  • Fields makes it through the season healthy, physically and mentally

I think they traded one of the picks they got for Mack back to the Chargers, so the Bears will have the standard 7 picks (plus compensatory picks?) for next offseason's draft. You probably want to end up in the top 10 for the draft but I don't think it's a critical need since this coming draft should be a lot stronger than the '22 draft since we're now past the COVID eligibility year.

Also today I learned the Bears signed an UDFA RB named Master Teague. You really should be rooting for him to make the team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Bears would be better off just winning 4 games so they have a good pick and then spend a boatload in FA to actually compete next year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The over under is exactly where it should be because the bears are not good but not truly dog poo poo. I’m sure a majority of those games will be scary nightmares to watch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bears are rarely abjectly terrible, but they are always underperforming and completely and utterly miserable to watch. Even when winning

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dexo posted:

Bears are rarely abjectly terrible, but they are always underperforming and completely and utterly miserable to watch. Even when winning

The team or the animals?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dexo posted:

They refuse to ever do a full rebuild and eat a 2-loss season for better draft picks. So they're stuck in mediocre purgatory.

Not that having good draft picks has ever helped the Bears.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean the NFL you rarely will see a complete rebuild and usually when you see that it doesn't actually work out.

The NFL is a league where you will get back to at least being being mediocre pretty quickly.

Like this team is probably about as close as you'll get to a complete rebuild in the NFL and it's probably going to win four to five games.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think you're underestimating how bad the team is on both sides of the ball. The offense has been this bad, the defense has been this bad, but they've never been this bad at the same time. There's always been some bright spot that could steal games and this year that bright spot is hoping five tackling dummies from before they could motorize them can keep him upright for three consecutive plays. And unlike last year, when you punt it back there's no Quinn/Mac forcing you to become run-dimensional, and no Hicks to punish you even if you did. All those weeks last year when the D was lit up over and over because the depth chart was an absolute cliff are about to become the norm.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Historically the Bears have rarely had a roster this bad from top to bottom. I can't believe that the coaching staff will magically make a bunch of players many of whom are backups starting or fringe NFL players into a team that can win more than 2 or 3 games (I also think the coaching staff is Real Bad). This is a 2017 browns situation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

Historically the Bears have rarely had a roster this bad from top to bottom. I can't believe that the coaching staff will magically make a bunch of players many of whom are backups starting or fringe NFL players into a team that can win more than 2 or 3 games (I also think the coaching staff is Real Bad). This is a 2017 browns situation.

On the bright side you have a QB prospect and there's really not much more downside left.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I think the fact that all the money is going to the under and the line hasn't changed is probably a good indicator that Vegas thinks the Bears are better than everyone thinks they are.

I'm typically the homer of the group, so I'll say now that I'm betting that over. Bears have a soft schedule, I don't think the roster is significantly worse than last year. While losing ARob and Hicks sucks, they also were not major contributors last year, whether it was due to injury or coaching ineptitude. I also think for all the losses on defense, the investment in the secondary should help balance that out.

Most importantly, I believe and always have believed that Justin Fields is the truth. His presence alone should make the Bears a statistically average offense, which in turn will be the best offense we've ever seen as Bears fans. David Montgomery has always been underused and underrated.

My concerns for this team all come down to Getsy. If the offensive coaching in place is good, the Bears should be competing for the last wild card spot. If it isn't, I'll be embarrassingly wrong about betting that over.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

On the bright side you have a QB prospect and there's really not much more downside left.

Lol, it's over for fields. Bears destroyed his career. All pro anywhere else.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Trying to think about things like "how good is the team", "how good are their opponents", "how good is the coaching staff" is like trying to paddle up the River of Fate. We all know that regardless of literally any possible factor, the Bears will inevitably win somewhere between 6 to 9 games, and will piss me off in the process. Make your peace with that and let it wash over you, and you will be truly free.

The technology to reasonably predict the Bears performance in the season doesn't yet exist but quantum computing has been making great strides lately so I'm confident

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Bears = not so good

The tv show The Bear on Hulu = good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

Trying to think about things like "how good is the team", "how good are their opponents", "how good is the coaching staff" is like trying to paddle up the River of Fate. We all know that regardless of literally any possible factor, the Bears will inevitably win somewhere between 6 to 9 games, and will piss me off in the process. Make your peace with that and let it wash over you, and you will be truly free.

The technology to reasonably predict the Bears performance in the season doesn't yet exist but quantum computing has been making great strides lately so I'm confident

It is all a journey to mediocrity. I'm going to be honest, if this regime/quarterback don't turn it around for this organization, I'll probably go full nihilist. I've never felt better about where the organization is at and that worries me.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sataere posted:

It is all a journey to mediocrity. I'm going to be honest, if this regime/quarterback don't turn it around for this organization, I'll probably go full nihilist. I've never felt better about where the organization is at and that worries me.

Nagy/Pace caused me to become orange and bluepilled, feel free to join me over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GNU Order posted:

yeah, the bears are good for 4-8 wins every year no matter what, routinely have easy schedules and are guaranteed to have 3-4 absolutely insanely stupid and idiotic plays a game. the question is which team benefits from those plays. i think theyll compete for the last wild card spot then fall apart at the end as injuries and the lack of depth catch up with them, probably get 8 wins