Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I feel like quicksilver works better in justice than aggression, where momentum shift put in more work than fluid reflex. But jarbjorn can make a lot of that damage up.

I played Gamora Agro with Justice venom and that is a great team. They just cover the fundamentals extremely well, if you wanted to you could go GJ and VA just as effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Cyclops article got posted for FFG for their Spanish side. Still nothing for America, wonder if they’re not gonna bother until Friday for some reason.

Edit: Article got pulled, lol. It’s all up on Hall of Heroes and someone on the boardgamegeek forums did a rough translation.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 16, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tentatively trying to find the translations for most of the cards and Cyclops seems really unique and fun. Attaching debuffs to enemies and using his +3 damage on them, while being able to play X-Men allies from all 4 aspects sounds great, though it's too bad he can't use some of those great Aggression cards that come with Shadowcat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Yeah, probably going to need a full spoiler but toolbox tactics cards could be fun. Being able to run any X-Men ally is a big draw if they have some fun synergies.

Weirdly he might make Valkyrie more useful since since three damage is perfect range for her to finish stuff with death glow attached.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
English language teaser of Cyclops is out.

Danger Room seems like it will be good for getting some nice training upgrades on key allies. Utopia is a solid addition to a strong Leadership deck but also has some nice utility in other aspects since it will let you get a ready off while also dropping a blocker. Effective Leadership is an interesting one as I like it but I also can't imagine it making the cut except in decks where I build around it; not really a complaint though because in some ways I prefer having a lot of cards will a niche as opposed to too many cards with general utility.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I can definitely see myself using cards like effective leadership to pay for some leadership allies that could give good bang for buck. Use it with Maria Hill and you’ve got a cheap 3 thwart for the round. It’s definitely not an auto include but I think there’s times where it will definitely make sense to add one. Having another wild resource handy never hurts either.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

goddamn this might be one of the best pre-cons I've seen in a long while. Cyclops is going to be a lot of fun two-handed as a way to throw tons of allies at people and debuffing any minion that shows up.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Beast feels like real fun when you summon band together, especially when you sneak attack him into play.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had the funniest bad luck in a game with Taskmaster vs Steve/Tony. Decided "hey I haven't tried this Zzzax modular deck so I'll slot this in," not realizing 1) Zzzax has a lot of cards that gently caress you up/bolster his ATK/HP depending on the Energy resources on cards in play, and 2) The grand majority of Iron Man's upgrades that you want to build onto him use Energy. Naturally all the Zzzax cards flipped on Iron Man and two 7-damage turns later + Zzzax himself showing up with his 8/8 stats and the game suddenly ended lol.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Tried to run Drax versus Thanos, just like in the comics Drax is at a major major disadvantage. Without the gauntlet it might be a fun match but it’s basically 1.5 boost cards for every attack, with that number going up at minimum every 12 attacks.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So the Spyder pack is FFG going “sorry, we’re fixing it, we’re fixing it!” with Hulk. She comes with a card that gives characters who have 14HP steady, and now it’s been revealed she comes with a superpower 1 cost event where you spend a resource to ready your hero but only if they have 14 printed HP.

It’s a valiant effort, but I don’t know how much it will overcome Hulks main ability just being too lovely.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Limitless Stamina is pretty cool and Unshakeable is ok, but at the end of the day Hulk is still the 4-card hard hero who discards his entire hand every turn, which in tandem is really bad and can be painful when you get good cards that will have to be tossed out. Many of his hero cards being 3 cost (and precon allies being like 3 or 4 cost, which seems loving insane and makes me wonder if it was playtested?) also really hurts.

Anything you'd want to do with Hulk you can likely do easier or better with Thor, who can get to 5-card hands with Asgard, 2 resource generators, 19 HP with Thor's Helmet equipped, and will probably do just as much damage as Hulk but more reliably. Drax also kind of fills the thematic role of getting angrier/damaged and getting stronger. In 2-player games those guys probably make more sense in terms of being able to do things other than wait for Hulk Smash.

In solo play Limitless stamina can legit lead to some 6 or 8 damage turns if you pull it early, and Hulk's still a good "all or nothing" 50/50 situation for solo play, where you'll either end the game extremely quickly or get quagmired.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It's a shame they don't want to errata stuff because not only could they fix Hulk but poor Valkyrie is getting the short end of the stick with her 12 HP on these two cards. I get that they don't want to buff Antman/Captain Marvel/Venom; its just unfortunate that these cards could really help Valkyrie out.

The bigger issue I see is that these cards kind of limit deck building. The steady one not so much, but a 1 cost ready is good for everyone that can run it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah I doubt Antman/Carol/Venom need any kind of buffs, they're all really good cards, but the solution of "put these 3 to 4 cards in your deck to remedy a busted hero" does push out other cards or bloats your deck.

The issue imo is moreso that they gave us a "better Hulk" already with Drax, at least thematically. I guess Hulk as a big rampaging beast works better as a destructive brute and not someone who will actively thwart a scheme or care about a "master plan," but punch through it as quickly as possible. Which is fine but for a game where you need to manage a master plan building up, it's a crutch.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah this card is amazing for Drax, who normally needs to get punched in the face or lower his damage to ready. It costs only one card if you have Dwi mastery, which for an attack that can do six damage is amazing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah I immediately thought of Drax for these cards. I have no doubt the intention is really to try and salvage hulk in some fashion but they seriously need to drop the idea and just make a “errata” optional pack that has a new Hulk, gives She-Hulk a second Gamma Slam, and a bunch of other small things I’m probably forgetting. It’s a shame Hulk came out so early in the cycle because they had really bad swings on who sucked and who was good. They still miss now and then (Valkyrie is not great) but it’s way more hits than misses because they err on the side of letting the hero be a bit OP.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://keyforging.com/ghost-galaxy-acquires-keyforge/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Being discussed in the Keyforge thread but it definitely says something about FFG's management that they'd be willing to sell back(to Christian T. Petersen) one of their properties like that. I'm guessing they were going to shelve it and he had faith in the game and sees the potential in it with local/national events. I guess FFG management couldn't or wasn't going to fix the algorithm and just said gently caress it. The only big negative I see is that the game should be releasing alongside an app that lets you play your decks online after you've registered them.

The relation of the article to Marvel Champions to me is that you shouldn't expect any kind of Organized Play for MC beyond the GenCon release of Mutant Genesis. Since it mentions that Christian's company bought their P.O.D. facility I'd imagine that we're never going to see any of the full art promos for MC again so if you're into those you might want to try and pick them up.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, that article does not read great for Marvel Champions / Arkham Horror. It's not doom and gloom, but it feels like the kind of squeeze on anything that's not super duper profitable by P/E.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
They are certainly getting squeezed. Arkham Horror is one of their most profitable LCGs, and even there they do not have the resources to put out Return To boxes anymore...

Now all Peterson has to do is buy their LCG team and we are all set.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

this would either be the best, or absolute WORST news and I'm not sure which way to call it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think Arkham and MC are both safe because they're brands. Keyforge was an in-house production that had no ties to any existing IP. The only other product I could see Christian getting is Twilight Imperium, but I don't think they're willing to sell that. Not to mention it's kind of like the flagship product of FFG to the extent that I can't see them selling it ever. MC, Lord of the Rings, Arkham; those games aren't going anywhere because they're tied to another company's IP.

It sounds like Keyforge just got stuck in development hell when they deleted the algorithm, and then realized that they'd gutted the digital team so there was nobody to fix it. They probably looked into it, were planning on just scrapping it, CTP found out and bought it off them. The lead designer of the game had already moved on from FFG so it's probable that the writing was on the wall for this mid-first wave of the pandemic.

It is kind of interesting to see if this leads to someone making a play at getting L5R though since the RPG seems to be a dead now as well.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, that article does not read great for Marvel Champions / Arkham Horror. It's not doom and gloom, but it feels like the kind of squeeze on anything that's not super duper profitable by P/E.

is this just all hearsay or is there actual indications that these games arent doing well? they seem to sell super well around here (except for keyforge, that one can still be found at ocean state job lot and ollie's bargain world)

even barnes and noble cant keep them in stock

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

this would either be the best, or absolute WORST news and I'm not sure which way to call it.

At this point, I am so jaded with FFG/Asomdee that the best scenario for me is giving all existing games to competent companies and dissolving FFG. Christian Peterson made a lot of mistakes, but I trust him more than a bunch of venture capitalists with minimal understanding of the tabletop industry.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

John Romero posted:

is this just all hearsay or is there actual indications that these games arent doing well? they seem to sell super well around here (except for keyforge, that one can still be found at ocean state job lot and ollie's bargain world)

even barnes and noble cant keep them in stock

Is what hearsay? I don't love the idea of FFG divesting itself of any LCG.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
As far as organized play goes for MC, I’ve read on the Facebook group that FFG reps for stores confirmed they killed OP for it. FFG had some upcoming promo stuff listed (alternate versions of Valkyrie and some others and a HP dial) that got canned because of Covid. FFG apparently has no plans to start it back up, but maybe that could change. My local store apparently got something but I have no idea what they did get and I haven’t been by recently to bug them about when they’re going to set something up.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CitizenKeen posted:

Is what hearsay? I don't love the idea of FFG divesting itself of any LCG.

I mean, it seems like it just wasnt doing well, anecdotally it's the star of multiple clearance sections, it just looks like one of the creators bought it back.

I'm talking about Marvel and Arkham not doing well, which is what you were talking about.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Black Stones posted:

As far as organized play goes for MC, I’ve read on the Facebook group that FFG reps for stores confirmed they killed OP for it. FFG had some upcoming promo stuff listed (alternate versions of Valkyrie and some others and a HP dial) that got canned because of Covid. FFG apparently has no plans to start it back up, but maybe that could change. My local store apparently got something but I have no idea what they did get and I haven’t been by recently to bug them about when they’re going to set something up.

I dont think this is super surprising- I think a lot of the appeal of these games is that they can be played one player. The VTM card game has been doing super well in organized play.

i also think its probably a lot harder to get people to come out to not be competitive

John Romero fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 30, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

All my store ever did was sell the OP kits to people on the pack subscription list anyway, so this isn't the worst thing in the world for me.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I do miss events like Murder at the Prancing Pony where lots of folks would show up and do the same scenario together. Arkham has some scenarios built for that, and it would be nice to see them supported in an official way.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Cooperative LCGs aren't great targets for OP of any kind. I don't know Marvel Champions, but Arkham Horror has a whole lot of broken combos. When you're playing solo or with people you know, you can self-moderate that and say "Hey, that new weapon that does 3 damage knocks enemies across the map all for one action was fun the first time, but let's agree to not put that in our decks for this campaign". If I was playing with strangers I don't trust any of them not to be doing even more broken things.

Rusty Kettle posted:

They are certainly getting squeezed. Arkham Horror is one of their most profitable LCGs, and even there they do not have the resources to put out Return To boxes anymore...

I could be wrong, but it's not that they lack resources, it's that they're better spent acquiring new players in the short-term. They realized how fragile their game was to any production hiccups, and instead of giving up on Arkham Horror LCG like they did Keyforge, they spent money to develop and print this new release model. There's only four more of them to go, which at the rate they're going is roughly one year.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

There was a Con of Heroes event last month which was the first Marvel Champions centric organized event run by some hardcore fans. They did a custom scenario which can be found on Hall of Heroes and it sounds like there was a solid turnout. I recall that Lord of the Rings had some fun OP events with the PoD challenge decks, and that game was really for the hardcores. No idea if there's anything like that for Arkham, but if sounds like the Con of Heroes was successful enough they going to run it again next year.

I think OP for co-op games is possible but it's best done on a quarterly/biyearly schedule rather than weekly events leading to monthly tournaments.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Pre-Covid, we had turnouts of 10-15 for a monthly OP at my FLGS, and the numbers were growing. Before it all went to poo poo. I think there are a lot of people who want to play 4P AH/MC, but don't reliably have the social circle to do so.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Having an OP once in a while just makes sense because you have people openly promoting your product and having a chance to have onlookers make some sales. Me and my friend that play weekly started playing more often at my local shop now that we can again, and we caught the interest of a guy who used to play Game of Thrones with us. He has kids who are interested in board/card games as well and after explaining the game to him he went and bought the core, and a ton of expansion stuff. That’s a bunch of money FFG got because we simply played the game in public.

You don’t need to do it weekly or even monthly, but having a big event a couple times a year and making some cool promo stuff for people willing to shill your game makes for happy customers.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Phoenix article posted

So Phoenix looks like she has an incredibly powerful kit and can be super OP, you can take control of minions, have the villain remove threat when he thwarts, and you can shield up damage. However, I think her nemesis minion/obligation more than makes up for her being strong because this looks like the nastiest nemesis I’ve seen. Huge HP total, decent stat line with villainous attached and has tough right off the bat. If you’re not careful her side scheme can also cost you the game.

I like it. She feels like a great risk/reward hero but not in a way that I think slows down the game like Starlord was.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Black Stones posted:

Phoenix article posted

So Phoenix looks like she has an incredibly powerful kit and can be super OP, you can take control of minions, have the villain remove threat when he thwarts, and you can shield up damage. However, I think her nemesis minion/obligation more than makes up for her being strong because this looks like the nastiest nemesis I’ve seen. Huge HP total, decent stat line with villainous attached and has tough right off the bat. If you’re not careful her side scheme can also cost you the game.

I like it. She feels like a great risk/reward hero but not in a way that I think slows down the game like Starlord was.

I feel like phoenix is the best argument for LCGs as a concept. In any other game a wild rear end concept like this would completely break everything, but since this is a cooperative game and everyone has the same ability to get a hold of these cards they can kinda do whatever they want with them as long as they’re fun to play.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Love the preview, but mixed on Jean herself. She could have used a bit more oopmh other than just +2 ATK in unleashed form, would have liked to see her have some kind of way to spend those power counters for more damage. Seems like maybe we're missing a card from her kit since Mind Control is 8/16 and the next one previewed in numerical order is Psychic Blast at 11/16; hard to believe they'd give her three copies of Mind Control since it's both extremely expensive but also fairly narrow.

Looking at the cards in order:

Alter-Ego/Hero Card - Nothing too interesting here except 3 base thwart is massive and probably makes up for the fact that you'll need to spend a bit of time in AE recovering with her relatively small 9 HP. Resource generation is great and should give her some nice flexibility when playing Leadership or Aggression.

1/16: Phoenix Form/Force - Not much to say here, when you're ready to deal damage you change the 3 THW into 3 ATK.

2/16: Unknown - Typically this is the Ally slot so I'd expect Cyclops with some kind of power counter manipulation.

3/16: White Hot Room - Additional AE healing is nice, although with her small HP pool it's a bit unnecessary. Filling the power counters on the Phoenix Form feels like something you may want to do quickly if you need to do it so this probably helps a lot in that regard.

4/16: Phoenix Suit - Aerial is always a nice option. Stalwart is pretty helpful but I think I've detailed my loathing of the Retaliate ability and in this case a few of her other cards have negative Synergy so I really would have rather just see a straight +1 ATK here instead; drat the balance.

5/16: Rise From the Ashes - The problem with these cards is A) they're always loving expensive, and B) if you're winning you don't need it so you only need it if you're losing in which case you have to draw it at the right time. Still in a vacuum it's not a terrible design but it's not my preference.

6/16: Telekinetic Shield - Love it. Minimum 5 damage prevented for 2 resources but if you play it right it could be quite a bit more.

7/16: Probably a second copy of Telekinetic Shield.

8/16: Mind Control - For 4 cost you turn a non-elite minion into an ally, effectively defeating the minion and getting some damage out of it. There's a fair percentage of minions this can't hit due to their being elite but you'll probably be able to get some good value out of this card. Having 2 copies would be great, 3 is overkill.

9/16: Unknown - I'm going to guess that this and the next spot are another offensive event with a bit more versatility.

10/16: Unknown

11/16: Psychic Blast - 2 resources for 4 damage that can only go to the villain is not great. 2 resources to deal 4 damage to everything engaged with you and the villain is extremely good, but against you really need at least 1 minion on this card for it to be good. 2 for 4 that's villain only is far too narrow.

12/16: Probably another Psychic Blast

13/16: Telepathic Trickery - 2 resources for 4 threat removal from anywhere is also a bit expensive but fine, the added benefit of stunning and confusing any enemy makes it very strong.

14/16: Unknown - Almost certainly another telepathic trickery.

15/16: Phoenix Firebird - 1 Resource and a Power Counter to Ready is probably ok but I guess you're going to be using the other ability on the card to add 2 counter more frequently to off set her spending resources via her Hero form ability in which cards you're just trading when you spend those resources...eh I dunno. Feels like they want you to really manage the Phoenix control counters but it overall feels a bit more fiddly than powerful.

16/16: Unknown - Probably Phoenix Firebird #2

Overall I was kind of excited by Jean but honestly I think they could have pushed it more. There needed to be a better/worse consequence to losing control than just losing your THW and potentially having Dark Phoenix show up off your Obligation. I love the Nemesis being super awful to deal with though, I just don't feel like there's enough reward for the risk outside of having a few extremely interesting and unique cards in her arsenal. I guess maybe at this point I'm just spoiled by Ironheart.

Another thing I want to mention is the basic aspect upgrade Cerebro, which when played by a psychic character tutors your entire deck for an X-Men ally. That's ridiculously good. The other card worth mentioning from the aspects is Psychic Manipulation, which makes an enemy remove threat instead of adding it when they scheme; that is an incredibly good card and combine with the SHIELD package will make Jean one of the best Heroes even if you play all her hero cards as blank resources.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phoenix going to be a sick hero to play, probably A-tier at minimum---although if you draw Shadows of the Past then you are straight up hosed lol. Will be fun to see some streamers eventually pull that nemesis and try to fight their way out because that scheme/nemesis looks like instadeath. Granted, playing russian roulette with with a 36ish deck chamber won't mean she always comes out but it offers a teeth-gritting scenario if it hasn't appeared as a boost card yet.

That being said if you want to destroy the tableau of minions/villain then you'll want to stay Unleashed for a long while. Can't help but think they could have added maybe another card to get shuffled into the encounter deck to raise the stakes of Unleashed being a bane for you. In games where the nemesis doesn't show up the risk/reward for Dark Phoenix loving you over might be quite small.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

12 points villainous makes it the worst minion released so far, outside of the super hard expansion packs if you’re playing multiplayer. So timing Phoenix so you unleash after obligation and shadows is an interesting wrinkle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

New card from Sp//der pack looks pretty interesting:

Could see Leadership deck heroes putting this on Thor/Hulk/Colossus as a free resource generator.