Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I always add, at least, a couple of extra commas to all of my posts, in order to signal that there is always a clear authorial intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

anyway, the important thing is to put double spaces after each period.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I always add, at least, a couple of extra commas to all of my posts, in order to signal that there is always a clear authorial intent.

Thus, by a continuous shifting of grammatical focus, the poster is at the same time sincere, and insincere.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Let;s see some semicolons in that bitch.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

yeah you can type out   but that's a hassle and pretty nerdy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
still it's better to just copy + paste a bunch of  

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Let;s see some semicolons in that bitch.

/
          /
         /

than use

________________________/

to quote something like :goonsay:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ChubbyChecker posted:

nah

its the opposite

There was a time where it signaled insincerity, but at this point it's just as likely to be an attention-seeking affectation or an indication a person is so poor or cheap they can't/won't replace a failing keyboard.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Forums code automatically removes the extra space. See?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I do.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Paladinus posted:

I feel called out by this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

someone went to the effort to code that and I will not see their work wasted.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
all lowercase is basically like changing your font to comic sans

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Capitalizing things and using correct punctuation is uptight work attire, abandoning the shift key is me at home, in my lane, hydrated, flourishing, wearing boxers only

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

are you a loving sociopath

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

are you a loving sociopath

No they are just very old or following some extremely hidebound style guide that hasn’t been updated since computer word processing became the standard in the 90s

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

No they are just very old

Yeah my school did not have computers to spare for typing lessons when I was a kid so I've still go the muscle memory from learning on a mechanical typewriter.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Good lord

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'll put my vhf in your uhf if you're dtf :getin:

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, a 13cm band operator i see

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jun 29, 2022

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Paladinus posted:

I always, add... at least a couple of extra, commas and ellipsis to all of my posts, in order to signal that, there is always a clear authorial intent, for you to read these, posts... like William Shatner.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

i never said i was good at it

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FreudianSlippers posted:

I painstakingly decapitalize each individual letter

who's "elle"?

edit: and why are they plural and british

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, watch this.   Three spaces.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zil posted:

I feel, called out, by this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I use capitalization and punctuation to indicate it's actually me typing and not my cat walking across the kbnc,,,,.!ps04uamggpppppppp

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I thought all the anti-capitalists were in cspam.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Hey, watch this.   Three spaces.

Mods???

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Unperson_47 posted:

dead scat bounce
bad shat bounce
sad shat clowns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah my school did not have computers to spare for typing lessons when I was a kid so I've still go the muscle memory from learning on a mechanical typewriter.

:corsair::respek::corsair:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i had typing class in the middle school in the mid 2000s, on computers, and still learned the double space after periods thing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mavis Beacon didn't say a word about double spaces, that's how I know adding them is dumb and useless

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I learned to type on a computer in the 90s and they told me to use double spaces after the end of a sentence. I have never broken the habit, even though most typesetting software removes it. I genuinely think it makes text a little bit easier to read, and wish that it had never gone away.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It went away after existing since the beginning of moveable type print, because boomers working on early teletext machines interpreted 'do not double space (because it can damage our expensive machine)' as 'do not double space because it is How Professionals Do Things'.

Out of their profound technological illiteracy, Boomers then invented a false origin for double spacing to 'explain' why their arbitrary opinion was justified.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tunicate posted:

It went away after existing since the beginning of moveable type print, because boomers working on early teletext machines interpreted 'do not double space (because it can damage our expensive machine)' as 'do not double space because it is How Professionals Do Things'.

Out of their profound technological illiteracy, Boomers then invented a false origin for double spacing to 'explain' why their arbitrary opinion was justified.

No it didn't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ok boomer

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tunicate posted:

Ok boomer

There's a smilie for that now :okboomer:

But I digress.

:jackbud: My problem with masturbation :jackbud:

Frowning Robot posted:

Preface: I am under no illusions about the number of friends (none) I will win by posting this before this particular audience, known for their reckless indulgence in the grotesque act described above. I am going to post this nonetheless, in the hopes that, like in times past, the rational thinkers amongst my readers will emerge to support my rational and thought-provoking opinions.

Through years of research and personal observation of the slowing gears of the modern industrial nation, I have come to the conclusion that a number of social plights can be tangibly linked to this nefarious act known as masturbation. These innumerable plights include obesity, rape, the genocide of newborn seals, and countless more, creating a list so colossal it could not be contained within the allotted space of one post.

It is beyond the slightest doubt an indisputable fact that man, on his primal level, exists for two purposes, and two purposes only during that time span known as his mortal life; to survive, and multiply, that is, continue his genetic line with a new generation. Some point along man’s rocky road, an ancient man decided to place his hand over his penis. It was at this moment, my esteemed readers, that mankind took a turn down the path of self-destruction. For those dubious of such brash assertions, I will present all proper evidence in due time.

Masturbation, the act of stimulating the penis to the point of ejaculation using the hand(s), pillows, bananas etc. fulfils a purpose twofold for those who engage in it; firstly, to provide a rush of physical pleasure, and secondly, to relieve the pressure that nature bares down upon him to plant his seed in the appropriate vessel-that is, a female womb. By cleverly though harmfully avoiding nature’s intended purpose for his sperm, a man can live a fulfilling life without female contact, since nature’s burden is lifted from him with each ejaculation wasted on the bathroom tiles. It this avoidance of his natural duties through self-pleasuring that poses the greatest threat to human kind; why mate when you have two apt hands?

Before the plague of masturbation gripped the modern world, men had the direst of impetus to stay in top physical shape; so that a female would willingly accept his sperm and thus fulfill nature’s purpose. Now, the modern man has no need to care for his body, and he lets it rot under 200 pounds of fat earned from years of eating gluttonous foods. Why does he do this? Even if his female contemporaries find him so physically repulsive so as to not step within ten feet of him, let alone let him enter their precious vagina, he can always rely on masturbation to avoid his duties as a breathing homo sapien.

In my extensive research of this topic I have come across numerous studies that show that repeated rapists, those who engage in forced or surprise sex compulsively, masturbate up to 70% more than the normal male. It does not take a Herculean leap of logic to deduce why this statistic is true. Rapists are, for the most part, bad apples of the genetic pool. Women often find them repulsive and thus they lead unproductive reproductive lives. This lack of reproduction would naturally make the bad apple die out, but, thanks to masturbation, the rapist, feeling the pleasure of his own hand, now is infused with the urge to force himself upon unwilling females. Yet another example of masturbation’s frightening consequences.

It is a little-known yet truly disturbing fact that upwards of 90% of sexual lubricants on the market contain an oil obtained from young seals of the artic circle, which are often clubbed to death each year by hunters. I will spare you PETA-esque diatribe about the fundamental immorality of slaughtering helpless animals; if they needed to survive that badly, they would have adapted to use guns to defend against man. I will say, however, that disrupting the animal kingdom’s delicate balance in order to hasten the fall of modern society by using these lubricants for masturbation is quite a depraved deed. Remember, when you ‘rub one out’ you’re rubbing out a baby seal.

With all the evidence presented, I would find it nigh unbelievable that any of you with an iota of logic and reason would continue to engage in masturbation, an act that slowly causes societies to deteriorate. An act leading to obesity, and rape, and genocide. I cannot convey in the mere words of the English canon the serious nature of this threat, lurking in the mind of every male. I warn you, as a friend and insightful observer; do not stray down the path of masturbation; fulfill your purpose as nature intended, and put your sperm where it belongs.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

jesus gently caress that guy's perma is literally sickening

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rockman Reserve posted:

jesus gently caress that guy's perma is literally sickening

What is it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Him telling a story about picking up chicks at Rape victim counseling sessions.

By pretending to have been molested as a kid

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

Him telling a story about picking up chicks at Rape victim counseling sessions.

By pretending to have been molested as a kid

when your gimmick is too gross for 2005 something awful

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Guaranteed that person is in jail or a super devout Christian in their small town right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Robobot posted:

Guaranteed that person is in office or a super devout Christian in their small town right now.