Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Out of curiosity, I went back in the thread to about when Lindsey's video came out to see what the thread's reaction was at the time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3944685&pagenumber=304

Did this because I wondered if maybe our reactions were part of the backlash that pushed her offline. (Remember that Lindsey used to post in these threads, so there's a chance she might have still been reading the thread around the time)

Skimming over this and it's interesting to see a (now unavailable) tweet from Jourdain Searles being used as apparently some kind of evidence for Lindsay being a Bad Person, now that it's come out that Jourdain was systematically cutting Kyle Kallgren off from his entire social circle when they were together, so probably not the most reliably unbiased source there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Out of curiosity, I went back in the thread to about when Lindsey's video came out to see what the thread's reaction was at the time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3944685&pagenumber=304

Did this because I wondered if maybe our reactions were part of the backlash that pushed her offline. (Remember that Lindsey used to post in these threads, so there's a chance she might have still been reading the thread around the time)

I could be misremembering what she said, but at thought at one point she mentioned that what really got her to quit crying wasn’t just the Twitter posts, but people she trusted and cared about cutting her off?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

Skimming over this and it's interesting to see a (now unavailable) tweet from Jourdain Searles being used as apparently some kind of evidence for Lindsay being a Bad Person, now that it's come out that Jourdain was systematically cutting Kyle Kallgren off from his entire social circle when they were together, so probably not the most reliably unbiased source there.

She posted an account of abuse, but further things did come out after from Todd and his podcast collaborator that revealed the situation is a lot messier and involved a lot more interpersonal conflicts than Jourdain let on. I’m not in a position to say who was more in the right with all that in mind. It all sounds like incredibly toxic drama that shouldn’t be litigated over twitter and should be navigated privately with therapists but obviously that didn’t happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A friend of mine who is big into self help stuff sent me a link to this youtube channel called After Skool. From what I can gather it's short animations superimposed over guest speakers talking about a variety of topics, but the first video he sent me featured Jordan Peterson which immediately sent up red flags, so I was wondering if this is another PragerU scam channel and I wanted to check with the thread detectives.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've seen a few of their videos and I think they're in that Joe Rogan realm of psychedelic centrism. So they'll do a video with someone decent like Alan Watts but then also have done utter dog poo poo too.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

A friend of mine who is big into self help stuff sent me a link to this youtube channel called After Skool. From what I can gather it's short animations superimposed over guest speakers talking about a variety of topics, but the first video he sent me featured Jordan Peterson which immediately sent up red flags, so I was wondering if this is another PragerU scam channel and I wanted to check with the thread detectives.

that's a hard avoid. I saw their video on dopamine fasting and it was 90% woo horseshit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1542188080970584065

Setting up an alert when the word 'sexism' is posted to be angry about it.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

lol, let's see

When Victimhood Leads to Genocide - Jorp

The Story of Creation Through Sacred Geometry

MASS PSYCHOSIS - How an Entire Population Becomes MENTALLY ILL

How to Change Your Genetic Destiny - Joe Dispenza

Walk Away From Money - Dave Chappelle

The War on Consciousness - Graham Hancock

5 Life Lessons - Will Smith

ARE YOU AN ALPHA? - Simon Sinek - Why Leaders Eat Last

Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So there's a machine just making those channels somewhere, right

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grondoth posted:

So there's a machine just making those channels somewhere, right

no this one is high effort and a guy does customized animation for all of them :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeafNote posted:

Eh, Mandalorian was pretty good... As long as you could ignore season2's dozens of spinoff setups.

Mando S1 slaps and benefits hugely from being made at a time when Disney was on the backfoot wrt the IP after the sequels proved divisive and also that it was the flagship show to pitch their new streaming service. So it got to be its own thing while also getting a decent budget. S2 is still fine and has some really great episodes sprinkled in but by that time Disney realized what they had and turned the whole thing into a spinoff springboard. My expectations are in the toilet for S3 after the low budget snorefests that were Boba-Fett and Obi-Wan, but who knows.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Noah Caldwell Gervais and his second video on the Souls series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRo4arGaSk

Hell yeah.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah Mando S2 already suffered from half the episodes focusing on either characters from S1 or the EU, I can't imagine it'll get any better as time goes on.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Vagabong posted:

Yeah Mando S2 already suffered from half the episodes focusing on either characters from S1 or the EU, I can't imagine it'll get any better as time goes on.

Man, getting rid of the original EU was probably one of the best things Disney could have done with the franchise, but now they're just bringing it back again with a new coat of paint...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They just don't have the care and patience to do a Rescue & Restore, Old Things Never Die, LABD Restoration or Awesome Restorations or anything, it's just dumping all the EU stuff in a big scrap pile and leaving kids to cut themselves on all the random metal spikes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vagabong posted:

It's stark how S1 has zero expanded universe characters or OT people popping in, hell the closest thing you see to a lightsaber the entire season is at the very end when Gideon pulls out the Darksaber to escape his crashed Tie. Then S2 hits and bam here's Bo-Katan and Ahsoka and Luke and Boba Fett and now there are lightsabers fuckin' everywhere and Mando even gets one that he fights with now when he comes back to hijack the back half of Boba Fett's show and it's like man, I missed when this was a pulpy low-stakes serial about the grumpy bounty hunter with a hidden heart of gold and his yoda puppet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Goon Boots posted:

excuse me, but please correctly attribute this work to john michell; publisher of hitler quotations, and anti-democratic primitivist.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sydin posted:

It's stark how S1 has zero expanded universe characters or OT people popping in, hell the closest thing you see to a lightsaber the entire season is at the very end when Gideon pulls out the Darksaber to escape his crashed Tie. Then S2 hits and bam here's Bo-Katan and Ahsoka and Luke and Boba Fett and now there are lightsabers fuckin' everywhere and Mando even gets one that he fights with now when he comes back to hijack the back half of Boba Fett's show and it's like man, I missed when this was a pulpy low-stakes serial about the grumpy bounty hunter with a hidden heart of gold and his yoda puppet.

That really does sum up my disillusionment with the direction the franchise started to take even as early as the Prequels: It just became so enamored with the Jedi that it just became all about them. But to be honest, the Jedi were always the thing I found least interesting about the setting as a whole. The whole religious aspect associated with them becomes a constraining character trait, the actual philosophy associated with them is boringly binary and the increasingly crazy abilities granted to them by The Force just ended up feeling so at odds with the scrappy underdog sensibilities of the original trilogy.

I've always been more interested in the Star Wars universe for how the vagueness of its worldbuilding suggested this big, expansive setting that plays host to an unfathomable amount of other species, factions and characters beyond what we see in the movies themselves. Making everything about a single faction, conflict or group of characters just ends up making the setting feel smaller and more constrained. Han bragging about making the Kessel run in less that twelve parsecs is evocative to the audience because it's left to our imagination what the Kessel Run actually is, and the things we come up with our own are inevitably going to be more interesting than any concrete details...

It's why my favorite pieces of Star Wars EU material are the handful of tie-in novels released back in the 80s like the Han Solo or Lando trilogies: They were released before the idea of singular Expanded Universe had been established so there was room for worldbuilding and stories in the vein of the original trilogy films that weren't weighed down by the cruft of decades of continuity.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah as much as I enjoyed Star Wars Visions, I wish that at least one of the 9 episodes did not have a lightsaber in it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Farm Frenzy posted:

I literally just posted the video because he says the words 'use a kettle to boil the water' and I'm desperately pleading to the brainwashed sheep in this thread to just consider the possibility for a moment like I'm roddy in they live

https://twitter.com/stefanroberts/status/1542077697542836225

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Also CGI mark Hamil looks awful and the practice has terrible implications for both the series and the media industry at large.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DeafNote posted:

Yeah as much as I enjoyed Star Wars Visions, I wish that at least one of the 9 episodes did not have a lightsaber in it.

I feel like most of the anthology was a missed opportunity because of that. I feel like the studios took the directive of "star wars but anime" a bit too literally and just stuck a lightsaber and the Skywalker Sound audio library onto otherwise routine anime plots. Much as Tatooine Rhapsody loving suuuuuucks, I think Lop and Ocho was my least favourite because it wasted its runtime with the most predictable and tired "tradition versus progress" anime story that has zero room to grow or explore.

I'm really looking forward to volume 2 opening things up to international studios in Ireland and France.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

DeafNote posted:

the only reason i am aware of star wars visions is because one of the episodes had a lightsaber parasol

lol

in one of the next of their bunch of offshoots, they need to have someone rig up a gigantic lightsaber to an x-wing and have it cut up tie fighters

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goon Boots posted:

lol, let's see

When Victimhood Leads to Genocide - Jorp

MASS PSYCHOSIS - How an Entire Population Becomes MENTALLY ILL

How to Change Your Genetic Destiny - Joe Dispenza

Walk Away From Money - Dave Chappelle

The War on Consciousness - Graham Hancock

5 Life Lessons - Will Smith

ARE YOU AN ALPHA? - Simon Sinek - Why Leaders Eat Last

Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

Graham Hancock is a yikes deep cut. I haven’t heard that guy’s name in years, loving racist-rear end 90s atlantis aliens guy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Goon Boots posted:

the only reason i am aware of star wars visions is because one of the episodes had a lightsaber parasol

lol

in one of the next of their bunch of offshoots, they need to have someone rig up a gigantic lightsaber to an x-wing and have it cut up tie fighters

If they're gonna go all-in on flashy lightsaber bullshit, I'm at least happy when they make it as exaggerated and as silly as possible. That's why Grievous was cool.

Edit: Someone will inevitably respond to this post with the picture of that dude covered in lightsabers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Goon Boots posted:

But they did? In one of the Studio Trigger shorts the Luke character hopped on top of his X Wing, made his lightsaber a mile long and then jumped to lightspeed to cut a star destroyer in half.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wanna see a lightsaber chef

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

no this one is high effort and a guy does customized animation for all of them :smith:

This makes me far more suspicious that it's produced by a machine

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Graham Hancock is a yikes deep cut. I haven’t heard that guy’s name in years, loving racist-rear end 90s atlantis aliens guy.
I'm envious. He's still actively peddling the same poo poo he stole from the 19th century.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Take the kettlepill

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is getting into juice loosener territory.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 30, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh the guy from that Atun-Shei video, yeah he sucks lmao

Detectives I think this case is closed, the channel sucks smelly rear end

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

But they did? In one of the Studio Trigger shorts the Luke character hopped on top of his X Wing, made his lightsaber a mile long and then jumped to lightspeed to cut a star destroyer in half.

yeah I didn't actually watch any of it, i just know about it because of some of the silly stuff, but lol that they had that idea, good on em'

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Counterpoint, don't buy worthless poo poo that accomplishes one task when you could simply use a pot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

that is why i don't own a hammer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Electric kettles own

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drew's back on his bullshit again!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NEseESJK_4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least he didn't get scammed this time.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Counterpoint, don't buy worthless poo poo that accomplishes one task when you could simply use a pot.

how many pots do you own

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

two too many, don't you think?