Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh no the failing new york times has identified the one goon weakness- food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there was a recent Technology Connections video about electric kettles that explains why someone might have felt this article was... appropriate

namely, most Americans mistakenly believe that electric kettles are worse than using a stovetop burner for boiling water, sometimes with a corollary misunderstanding that voltage coming through American-designed sockets is "low" relative to other places/countries, such that they think electric kettles are weak

or that Americans don't own an electric kettle at all, because they don't really boil water all that often

Temprature-control electric kettles are a really dumb expense; there is a significant and variable temperature drop when the water is poured into whatever vessel you are going to brew in, even when preheating it. You would have to dial it in with a specific vessel and a specific amount of water, but even then you will likely be bringing the water to a boil for all but the most delicate of teas.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there was a recent Technology Connections video about electric kettles that explains why someone might have felt this article was... appropriate

namely, most Americans mistakenly believe that electric kettles are worse than using a stovetop burner for boiling water, sometimes with a corollary misunderstanding that voltage coming through American-designed sockets is "low" relative to other places/countries, such that they think electric kettles are weak

or that Americans don't own an electric kettle at all, because they don't really boil water all that often

i have one at work. i dont need more clutter at home tho

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Nosfereefer posted:

:rolleyes:
we get it, you smoke weed, yeah real cool guys

im weed

i smoke gay

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

thotsky posted:

Temprature-control electric kettles are a really dumb expense; there is a significant and variable temperature drop when the water is poured into whatever vessel you are going to brew in, even when preheating it. You would have to dial it in with a specific vessel and a specific amount of water, but even then you will likely be bringing the water to a boil for all but the most delicate of teas.

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

well, good news, bret

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the democrats have been doing this for 30+ years already, catering to this specific type of idiot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thotsky posted:

handy for hot water bottles though

(oh, nothing for me, thanks. I ate before. ok, maybe a frosty)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/29/no-one-but-ghislaine-maxwell-is-to-blame-for-her-revolting-crimes

It was just her and Epstein, ok?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

it's a counter-narc at worst

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

christmas boots posted:

it's a counter-narc at worst

a narc is a narc is a narc

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Stringent posted:

a narc is a narc is a narc

It's also not really a narc if you're doing it to a cop which is the function dad is performing in that story.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

christmas boots posted:

It's also not really a narc if you're doing it to a cop which is the function dad is performing in that story.

if you just think of your father as a cop then i guess that's so

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Stringent posted:

my dad was extremely proud to wear his Rhode Island Fraternal Order of Correctional Officers t-shirt that someone gave him or he won as a prize somewhere so

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Stringent posted:

we wear many hats in life

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

lmao are you serious, because we had the same exact thing https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27704837

Dammit that's the story I was thinking of. Thank you for sharing it though, because it's marvellous.

As penance, have an actual piece of deranged British-ness: His lovely shoulder.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo

quote:

Put out the bunting, crack open the beers, stand there in the kitchen smiling from ear to ear, because he’s home – our student son is home and the family is together again. And after supper, after the washing up is done, the others – his younger siblings – drift off to watch television, and he says: “Would you like to see my tattoo?”

I say, “You’re joking.”

He says, “No, I’m not.”

But still I wait. Any minute he’s going to laugh and say, “You should see your faces” because this has been a running joke for years, this idea of getting a tattoo – the hard man act, iron muscles, shaved head, Jason Statham, Ross Kemp. He’s a clever boy. Maybe during his school years he thought a tattoo would balance the geeky glory of academic achievement.

His father says, “Where?”

“On my arm,” he says, and touches his bicep through his shirt.

His lovely shoulder.

In the silence, he says, “I didn’t think you’d be this upset.”

“It’s just a tattoo,” he says, when the silence goes on so long that we have nearly fallen over the edge of it into a pit of black nothingness. “It’s not as if I came home and said I’d got someone pregnant.”

It seems to me, unhinged by shock, that this might have been the better option.

His father asks, “Does it hurt?”

“Yes,” I say, cutting across this male bonding. “It does. Very much.”

There's hints of an actual sensible article here - about how making a permanent decision like this without even mentioning it to his parents signifies once and for all that he's an adult and has flown the nest. But then the brain worms kick in.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

“Yes,” I say, cutting across this male bonding.

I know everything I need to know about this person just from that sentence

I want to post the rest of the article too but everyone go read it

quote:

All those years of looking after your body – taking you to the dentist and making you drink milk and worrying about green leafy vegetables and sunscreen and cancer from mobile phones. And then you let some stranger inject ink under your skin. To me, it seems like self-mutilation. If you’d lost your arm in a car accident, I would have understood. I would have done everything to make you feel better. But this – this is desecration. And I hate it.”

what a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat this person is

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

thotsky posted:

any kind of green tea you should be steeping at like 170f max. once you get into the real vegetal cut grass flavors you have cooked it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

thotsky posted:

ew don't boil green or white tea you weirdo.

Even Oolong should be a little lower

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

quote:

All those years of looking after your body – taking you to the dentist and making you drink milk and worrying about green leafy vegetables and sunscreen and cancer from mobile phones. And then you let some stranger inject ink under your skin. To me, it seems like self-mutilation. If you’d lost your arm in a car accident, I would have understood. I would have done everything to make you feel better. But this – this is desecration. And I hate it.”

It's his son, so he's not obsessively possessive of his virginity like (I would imagine) he would be for his daughter. Still got to be loving weird about something though.

thotsky posted:

There are temp-controlled kettles that have baskets to steep tea in. They are good.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Jun 29, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

english people are hosed up

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I dunno what's worse: the article or the comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/opinion/progressive-nonprofits-philanthropy.html

The nyt posted:

Democrats Are Having a Purity-Test Problem at Exactly the Wrong Time

There has been a burst of stories in recent weeks describing devastating internal conflicts within progressive organizations, the most conspicuous of which was Ryan Grim’s June 13 Intercept piece, “Elephant in the Zoom: Meltdowns Have Brought Progressive Advocacy Groups to a Standstill at a Critical Moment in World History.”

Grim’s assessment resonated across the internet and was quickly followed by Molly Redden’s June 17 HuffPost account, “Inside the A.C.L.U.’s Post-Trump Reckoning”; Jon Gabriel’s article in the Arizona Republic on June 18, “Who needs a right-wing plot when progressives are busy eating themselves alive?”; Zack Colman’s June 19 Politico column, “Justice or overreach? As crucial test looms, Big Greens are under fire”; and John Harris’s June 23 Politico essay, “The Left Goes to War with Itself.”

According to Grim (and those other reports), disputes over diversity, equity and inclusion — over doctrine, language and strategies — have paralyzed much of the left advocacy and nonprofit sector.

William Galston, a senior fellow at Brookings, has a sharp eye for what’s not working in Washington and has long been a critic of those he feels are pulling the Democratic Party too far to the left. Galston emailed me his take on the current situation...

Spoiler: Galston's take sucks, as does the entire article.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

cat botherer posted:

It's his son, so he's not obsessively possessive of his virginity like (I would imagine) he would be for his daughter. Still got to be loving weird about something though.

There are temp-controlled kettles that have baskets to steep tea in. They are good.

IIRC the article was written by the mom not the dad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

english people are hosed up

Hey now, don't lump in the entire country with that southern craziness. It's an extremely distinctive middle-class home-counties style of neurosis. I can tell you to within a 75 mile radius where that woman lives.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pistol_Pete posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/opinion/progressive-nonprofits-philanthropy.html

What's not working in Washington: we need more centrists!!!!!!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

christmas boots posted:

ew don't boil green or white tea you weirdo.

Even Oolong should be a little lower

Whatever you weirdos eventually settle on, if you drink enough tea an electric kettle is a necessity.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Using bubble size to judge temp works good in most circumstances.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

soooo Democrats

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i beginning to think there American media is not communists

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dammit that's the story I was thinking of. Thank you for sharing it though, because it's marvellous.

As penance, have an actual piece of deranged British-ness: His lovely shoulder.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo

There's hints of an actual sensible article here - about how making a permanent decision like this without even mentioning it to his parents signifies once and for all that he's an adult and has flown the nest. But then the brain worms kick in.

"For three days, I can’t speak to my son. I can hardly bear to look at him. I decide this is rational."

lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Vox Nihili posted:

"For three days, I can’t speak to my son. I can hardly bear to look at him. I decide this is rational."

lmao

Very normal country

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Vox Nihili posted:

lmao

Hey, she's a narcissistic, highly strung, middle class Guardian journalist. Or, more succinctly, a Guardian journalist.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

what do they mean by "left advocacy and non-profit sector"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1542344943422898177

Louisiana is 1/3 black and only gonna have 1 majority black district.

Very subtle

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol one of them they're talking about is the ford foundation, a CIA cutout which funds regime change operations

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

lol one of them they're talking about is the ford foundation, a CIA cutout which funds regime change operations

yeah but they're doing more pride month rebranding, apparently, which is destroying it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Using bubble size to judge temp works good in most circumstances.

the temperature would be correlated to the depth of your pan though

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vox Nihili posted:

Just saw a NYT moral panic headline about weed

"As Weed Becomes More Potent, Teens Are Getting Sick"

Thank you, NYT
living in colorado, i gotta say the weed is really loving strong. most people don’t realize it (lol maureen) unless they are a Drug Person. dabs and other concentrates absolutely gently caress you up, and most dispensaries do a bad job of explaining the potency difference. even a $5 pre-roll 1 gram joint at a dispensary will result in an uncomfortable high for a regular person unless you’re sharing with a handful of people. it’s no reason to panic, but it’s absolutely a conversation a parent should have with their kids, like describing the difference between Budweiser and Everclear.

that said, it was REALLY funny back in 2013 when bachelor parties would come to denver as a budget amsterdam. you’d see 8-20+ guys all shambling around downtown like 28 Days Later because they smoked a bunch of pre-rolls on top of eating 100mg in gummies.

e: this post made me remember i have some really weed butter i made from trimmings back in the pre-legal days. if it’s still good, i’m gonna make some 4th of July funfetti brownies and celebrate c-spam style

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Jun 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/brettachapman/status/1542252208653320193