Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

bobjr posted:

Trump demands absolute loyalty for nothing in return, and will throw you to the wolves first chance he gets. If he did that he wouldn’t be Trump.

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

sean10mm posted:

It's this.

Yup. The man is completely unable to be that loyal to anyone save himself. It is anathema to his very concept of reality as a zero sum game, and he is a winner, drat it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Cippal-Oh no!

Cippal0wned?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Committee or Grand Jury?

Edit: J6 committee. Hopefully, it’s one of those, “subpoena me and I’ll testify” deals because since he’s been helpful I doubt DoJ will indict him if he doesn’t. What ever claims Meadows has Cipollone shares and DoJ declined to indict meadows.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 30, 2022

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Awww drat, son

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hi welcome to Olive Garden, our special tonight is the

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Odds on him actualy showing up and answering any questions? Probably not too good.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

quote:

Cipollone is a surname of Italian origin, a nickname for someone with a big head from the augmentative of the Italian word cipolla meaning "onion".

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Who? As in what’s his part of the coup.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comstar posted:

Who? As in what’s his part of the coup.

Chief White House Counsel. He was in the room for the Clark Rosen standoff and was noted to have been advising people to not even talk to Trump after Jan 06 to avoid being caught up in a sedition charge.

Edit: he’s about the most credible witness there could be. So, if he talks and says something like, “I advised Trump on several occasions that if he went ahead with actions it would be sedition” then we’re moving the indictment timeline up significantly.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 30, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I was pondering on the public Eastman subpoena for his electronics.

That’s not a, “We have some questions for you” subpoena. That’s a full on, “you are hiding crimes” search warrant that had to get past a judge who fully weighed attorney client privilege and executive privilege arguments before issuing the order.

If you spent time talking with Eastman before, during or after Jan 06 you should be thinking very hard about how you intend to live out the rest of your life.

By which I mean people like Cipollone and Meadows.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Cippolone was, by all accounts, entirely aware of how loving stupid and short-sighted and completely criminal the 1/6 plans were. I would love to see to what extent he documented stuff to cover his rear end having accurately foreseen how this was going to all implode on Trump. I doubt we'll have to wait long to see.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

Chief White House Counsel. He was in the room for the Clark Rosen standoff and was noted to have been advising people to not even talk to Trump after Jan 06 to avoid being caught up in a sedition charge.

Edit: he’s about the most credible witness there could be. So, if he talks and says something like, “I advised Trump on several occasions that if he went ahead with actions it would be sedition” then we’re moving the indictment timeline up significantly.

c'mon baby, i wanna lose that bet and spend the 25 bucks!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Cippolone was, by all accounts, entirely aware of how loving stupid and short-sighted and completely criminal the 1/6 plans were. I would love to see to what extent he documented stuff to cover his rear end having accurately foreseen how this was going to all implode on Trump. I doubt we'll have to wait long to see.

Jan 6th was part of it, what about his involvement with the fake slate of electors, the pressuring of various state offices, the endless lies about the 'great steal'?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Cimber posted:

c'mon baby, i wanna lose that bet and spend the 25 bucks!

Jan 6th was part of it, what about his involvement with the fake slate of electors, the pressuring of various state offices, the endless lies about the 'great steal'?

He's on record having called basically every single part of the efforts to overturn the election stupid and blatantly illegal and having advised pretty much everyone involved to stay the gently caress away if they don't want to end up charged with a variety of crimes.

idk how he responds to the subpoena, previously he's been pro-obstruction via inaction, but he's also generally been comparatively savvy about not getting wrapped up in the most illegal stuff.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 30, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah as far as I can tell Trump accidentally hired a competent not-total-toadie for WH counsel, which now that the guy did his job may not be good for Trump

(he almost certainly got the job because he's in good with Bill Barr, who is as we all know a tremendous sleazeball but was not interested in getting tangled up with no-poo poo sedition)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Cippolone is absolutely a toadie, just not one who cares to go to prison for trump. Or, if nothing else, was aware that this all was going to come out sooner or later and was acting with that in mind.

Interestingly, cippolone was the one who blocked the push for pardons after january 6th

from a wapo piece in march

quote:

The plan for a blanket pardon was reportedly blocked by Pat Cipollone, Trump’s White House counsel. “Clearly, Cipollone hosed everybody,” the Post quoted Stone as telling a friend, before messaging another: “See you in prison.”

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 30, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Here's hoping he kept a journal entitled All Of Trump's Crimes And Why I Share No Liability For Them.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Quorum posted:

Here's hoping he kept a journal entitled All Of Trump's Crimes And Why I Share No Liability For Them.

There is no way he is gonna agree to take any heat for anything that happened. He's got his own rear end covered, I promise.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's my understanding that sometimes people like this want to be subpoenaed, because it can give you plausible deniability, in a sense. Now Cippolone can say "I didn't want to help the committee, but I got subpoenaed, and now I don't have a choice."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if you have at least three brain cells to bang together you don't really WANT a yes man as white house counsel, because as is being demonstrated one of the two main responsibilities of their job is saying "no this is a proposal that is definitely illegal and people will go to jail"

Trump has never met a lawyer he listens to, not even me, so,

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Murgos posted:

I was pondering on the public Eastman subpoena for his electronics.

That’s not a, “We have some questions for you” subpoena. That’s a full on, “you are hiding crimes” search warrant that had to get past a judge who fully weighed attorney client privilege and executive privilege arguments before issuing the order.

If you spent time talking with Eastman before, during or after Jan 06 you should be thinking very hard about how you intend to live out the rest of your life.

By which I mean people like Cipollone and Meadows.

The search warrant is a weird one, because it was potentially issued to the DoJ Inspector General based on direction in the warrant that the phone be sent to an office of the inspector general facility. That means that Eastman may nbot be the subject of the investigation used to justify the search warrant. The jurisdiction of the Inspector General is stuff that was done by people working at the DoJ, which Eastman has never been. So the speculation is that the target is Jeffrey Clark or someone else in the department.

That isn't to say that the findings can't be shared with other investigations that the DoJ has ongoing, but their probable cause would have to have convinced a judge that Eastman has evidence that could prove wrongdoing by someone in the DoJ.

This is based on what the people on the Opening Arguments and Cleanup on Aisle 45 people have said.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Trump has never met a lawyer he listens to, not even me, so,

does Trump really listen to anybody? i find it hard to think of anyone who has had his ear for longer than five seconds

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

alf_pogs posted:

does Trump really listen to anybody? i find it hard to think of anyone who has had his ear for longer than five seconds

Putin

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

T.C. posted:

The search warrant is a weird one, because it was potentially issued to the DoJ Inspector General based on direction in the warrant that the phone be sent to an office of the inspector general facility. That means that Eastman may nbot be the subject of the investigation used to justify the search warrant. The jurisdiction of the Inspector General is stuff that was done by people working at the DoJ, which Eastman has never been. So the speculation is that the target is Jeffrey Clark or someone else in the department.

That isn't to say that the findings can't be shared with other investigations that the DoJ has ongoing, but their probable cause would have to have convinced a judge that Eastman has evidence that could prove wrongdoing by someone in the DoJ.

This is based on what the people on the Opening Arguments and Cleanup on Aisle 45 people have said.

I was about to mention that this is an extended part of today’s Cleanup on Aisle 45 where Andrew Torrez goes over it in detail. Thanks for saving me typing.

He’s a pretty good twitter follow if you want constant legal breakdowns, live, especially of Trump poo poo. So, you know, most people in this thread probably.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

alf_pogs posted:

Hannity

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

alf_pogs posted:

No one knows law better then Trump. Why, he has heard the best lawyers say "sir, your legal mind is best in the world and you would make the best lawyer ever sir". True story.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I've been trying to remember a Trump-lawyer thing that happened way back at the beginning of his presidency and it's killing me that I can't find it/it's a bit hard to google, because unless I'm losing my mind it was an actual thing and not vague rumor bullshit.

He had a meeting with a lawyer, and the lawyer is taking out a pad of paper to write things down as they're going over it. Trump asks him what he's doing, and he replies that he's taking notes. Trump starts talking about how he's never in his life seen a lawyer take notes during one of his meetings and it's very strange and the guy responds :

"I'm a real lawyer," as opposed to janky rear end mob lawyers.

I swear this is from the lawyer's memoir or something, but I can't remember the dude's name and various searches of "trump" and "lawyer" and "crime" and other terms are returning roughly the entire internet at this point. I'd really like to remember who this lawyer is because I'm curious if he's at all related to these shenanigans, if nothing else than as a chain of succession three steps removed.

Help? Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've been trying to remember a Trump-lawyer thing that happened way back at the beginning of his presidency and it's killing me that I can't find it/it's a bit hard to google, because unless I'm losing my mind it was an actual thing and not vague rumor bullshit.

He had a meeting with a lawyer, and the lawyer is taking out a pad of paper to write things down as they're going over it. Trump asks him what he's doing, and he replies that he's taking notes. Trump starts talking about how he's never in his life seen a lawyer take notes during one of his meetings and it's very strange and the guy responds :

I swear this is from the lawyer's memoir or something, but I can't remember the dude's name and various searches of "trump" and "lawyer" and "crime" and other terms are returning roughly the entire internet at this point. I'd really like to remember who this lawyer is because I'm curious if he's at all related to these shenanigans, if nothing else than as a chain of succession three steps removed.

This?

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/mcgahn-was-right-real-lawyers-take-notes

The Mueller report is full of lawyers doing lawyerly things (and some very unlawyerly things). But no anecdote stands out as a more basic illustration of the role of an attorney as Don McGahn’s exchange with President Donald Trump over—note-taking.

During his conversations with Trump, White House lawyer Don McGahn, reportedly took notes. At one point, Trump asked him, “What about these notes? Why do you take notes? Lawyers don’t take notes. I never had a lawyer who took notes.”

McGahn, who is now back at his old law firm Jones Day as a partner, responded that he took notes because he is a “real lawyer.” The president pushed back, saying that “I’ve had a lot of great lawyers, like Roy Cohn. He did not take notes.”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thank you!

So, completely unrelated, but at least now I know that instead of it bothering me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

No one knows law better then Trump. Why, he has heard the best lawyers say "sir, your legal mind is best in the world and you would make the best lawyer ever sir". True story.

Many people are saying it. One lawyer went up to him with tears in his eyes and said he was so grateful that the president had such a sharp legal mind.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Maybe it was when he was interviewing people to replace Comey as the head of the FBI? I think he even interviewed Mueller for the job.

Edit: Oops beaten by others

Charliegrs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 30, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
As a reminder even with the worst lawyers imaginable Trump has never even come close to experiencing real consequences for his actions.

That's how powerful being rich and white is in the USA.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was about to mention that this is an extended part of today’s Cleanup on Aisle 45 where Andrew Torrez goes over it in detail. Thanks for saving me typing.

He’s a pretty good twitter follow if you want constant legal breakdowns, live, especially of Trump poo poo. So, you know, most people in this thread probably.
There's also a new Opening Aeprguments covering this last hearing, haven't listened to it yet but I'd expect him to explain what's the big děláš are, who's fuckedz any challenges etc. https://openargs.com/oa609-surprise-jan-6-hearing-bombshells-within-smocking-guns-within-more-bombshells/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Has less to do with the historical quality of his lawyers and more to do with notes_criminal_motherfucking_conapiracy.gif

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

About half say Trump should be charged for 1/6: AP-NORC poll

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-crime-donald-trump-congress-government-and-politics-bb9efcbca309c3acb66e9c6d8a13657d

quote:

The survey from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that 48% of U.S. adults say the Republican former president should be charged with a crime for his role, while 31% say he should not be charged. An additional 20% say they don’t know enough to have an opinion. Fifty-eight percent say Trump bears a great deal or quite a bit of responsibility for what happened that day.

Views on Trump’s criminal liability break down predictably along party lines, with 86% of Democrats but only 10% of Republicans saying Trump should be charged with a crime. Among Republicans, 68% say he should not be charged and 21% say they don’t know.

While views of Trump’s role have not changed since December, Americans are somewhat more likely now than they were then to say Republicans in Congress were significantly responsible for the events of Jan. 6.

Forty-six percent say that now, up slightly from 41% in December. An additional 21% say GOP lawmakers had some responsibility and 30% say they were not responsible.

Close to 6 in 10 Americans — 56% — say they followed news about the congressional hearings. A smaller but still sizeable share -- 42% -- say they watched or listened.

Seventy-five percent of Democrats and 42% of Republicans say they followed news about the hearings. More Democrats than Republicans also say they tuned in, 58% to 27%.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

10% of Republicans that actually admit they're Republicans thinking Trump should be criminally charged is wild.

Also lol, half the country following the hearings, and 40% actually watching. Twitter keeps telling me no one cares tho.

Edit: honestly, I think Trump's sensationalism is actively working against him if these numbers are accurate. People absolutely care about Jan 6th, but they care a whole lot more about the aggressive cheetoh that spent four years occupying every inch of national attention that he could ever single day. He makes himself nigh impossible to ignore, and even now he will not stfu, it's just he has less of a direct audience. He's a tabloid headline come to life, a scandal factory sitting at the very center of a plot to overthrow the government. It can't possibly be helping that his supporters keep flailing around talking about a story where Trump tried to grab a steering wheel and then physically attacked one of his security detail; regardless of them saying it definitely didn't happen and here's the diagram to prove it, anyone who hears that who hadn't already heard it is probably going to be at least a little curious.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 30, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It is weird they're focused on the steering wheel story since that's like way super low down on the list of all the poo poo coming out and really doesn't matter one way or the other if it's true or not as it relates to the charges.

Actually, never mind. That's exactly why RWM is focusing on that aspect.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It is weird they're focused on the steering wheel story since that's like way super low down on the list of all the poo poo coming out and really doesn't matter one way or the other if it's true or not as it relates to the charges.

Actually, never mind. That's exactly why RWM is focusing on that aspect.

It's a small detail of a small part of the overall story that she was told second-hand that they can :actually: about while ignoring the fact that the vehicle that he was in wasn't the one they are trying to :actually: about, and they think this proves that she's just a lying Lier Mclier who should be hung up like that cowardly Mike Pence (who was going to be hung up by the dastardly Antifa).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its better to talk about trump trying to choke out his own bodyguard so he could drive his limo to the capitol than it is to talk about how he wanted all the metal detectors removed because he knew his supporters had weapons and were going to murder congress lol