Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Zil posted:

Who gets to tell them that what they bought is nearly useless?

I did. Explained what an OEM license was and what would happen if we got audited (which we have twice before).

The company they purchased them from isn't some dodgy ebay seller either and should 100% know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Whipstickagostop posted:

The company they purchased them from isn't some dodgy ebay seller either and should 100% know better.

Senator Clay Davis said it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU5IoHf3xdg&t=262s

*NSFW language

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Please we need your help now, we'll back pay the difference

:hmmwrong:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Please we need your help now, we'll back pay the difference

:hmmwrong:

Have you decided what your premium consulting fee and minimum daily rate is?

$300/hr and 7.5 hrs minimum seems fair.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Breetai posted:

Have you decided what your premium consulting fee and minimum daily rate is?

$300/hr and 7.5 hrs minimum seems fair.

I'd add a 1 to the front of that number and reduce it to 3 hours minimum. You know they're going to go "well, we paid for these hours so we're going to get the value from them."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Unfortunately it's for a promotion I verbally accepted but there's a hiring freeze till August, but they really want me to get started now, and I do as well, but not for harder work and less pay. As exciting as the new job is, that's ultimately not my problem

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Aaaargh an Empower acquisition node just shat the bed, it's taken all morning to spin up a replacement, the vendor is dragging their heels on getting back to us about validation and the QC labs are screaming that they need to process samples yesterday

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lmao my team got a ticket to set up AD in Azure for IT and I will die on this loving hill. I did not get into cloud to work with AD ever ever again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's a good hill to die on

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

lmao my team got a ticket to set up AD in Azure for IT and I will die on this loving hill. I did not get into cloud to work with AD ever ever again.

Are we talking like azure ad sync or that another managed ad instance abomination that shouldn't exist?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Azure Active Directory Domain Services?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Had a client I inherited with that abomination, it's just a standard AD domain that you have less control over, especially annoying if you need to do anything like move tenants or whatever because you have to destroy it and create new.

The deployment estimates on it are also wildly incorrect, it took like 6-8 hours to deploy when it said 1-2 hours, yes I was very naive to think that the estimate was going to be reasonably close to reality.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I am so glad we moved everything to the :cloud: and Azure, if I had to keep working with AD I would have quit my job 4 years ago

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think AADDS is slightly better now in that you can actually deploy to multiple regions. It's still one of those products that if you're using it you have to ask yourself if maybe you are doing things wrong though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I think AADDS is slightly better now in that you can actually deploy to multiple regions. It's still one of those products that if you're using it you have to ask yourself if maybe you are doing things wrong though.

AADDS exist only because microsoft insists into not letting windows server join AAD instead. Move everything to MDM CSP and gently caress your GPOs.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
AD is poo poo but it’s trivially easy to deploy a windows VM and hand it off to the sysadmins to install their stuff. ADDS or whatever is dumb

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Let’s not forget that multi session host pools for windows 10 can’t join aad only intune beacuse reasons.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Two small minor rants for today, but still annoying

I have a work laptop with 16gb of RAM and a 10th gen i7 or some poo poo in it (it's an i7 from last year whatever that is), but when I open a local spreadsheet in O365, highlight a single cell that is just plain text, and press Ctrl+C to copy the app locks up for 2 seconds and the fans ramp up in my laptop. What the gently caress is it doing? God I wish Office 2010 still got security updates!

Joe sent out a meeting invite at 14:32 for a meeting that starts at 14:30, causing the entire team to get overdue meeting popups and think they missed the start, cue panic dropping what we're doing to join the meeting, only for Joe to turn up 10 minutes later because he was making himself a cup of coffee

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even if I had nothing else to do, a meeting request that comes with no notice and without some sort of contrition in the invite doesn't get attended.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

Two small minor rants for today, but still annoying

I have a work laptop with 16gb of RAM and a 10th gen i7 or some poo poo in it (it's an i7 from last year whatever that is), but when I open a local spreadsheet in O365, highlight a single cell that is just plain text, and press Ctrl+C to copy the app locks up for 2 seconds and the fans ramp up in my laptop. What the gently caress is it doing? God I wish Office 2010 still got security updates!

This is some sort of DLP product. It’s likely also badly configured and scanning the contents when excel copies it and then scanning the clipboard again for all the available paste types. Nobody will care to fix it, and if you push some infosec person will appear, put your device in ‘bypass’ mode, then when the problem doesn’t go away, claim this proves that DLP isn’t the issue. This is false, as bypass mode usually only turns off enforcement, everything is still being scanned.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
HP Printer that when you plug a USB cable into it loads a virtual CD drive onto your system that you have to run with elevated privileges to get instead of letting Windows install the drivers.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tangentially to Lum's post, can anyone with more of an idea than I explain to me in words of one syllable why Microsoft Office products are such absolute dogshit with regards to copy/pasting between or even within products? It's literally faster to paste a small block of text into notepad, re-copy it, and then paste into the target application rather than doing it directly. Pasting text shouldn't lock both programs for 10+ seconds.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
You could probably just blame it on OLE and not be far off.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Breetai posted:

Tangentially to Lum's post, can anyone with more of an idea than I explain to me in words of one syllable why Microsoft Office products are such absolute dogshit with regards to copy/pasting between or even within products? It's literally faster to paste a small block of text into notepad, re-copy it, and then paste into the target application rather than doing it directly. Pasting text shouldn't lock both programs for 10+ seconds.

MS likes to make things hard. Why? I think they do not like you. Teams big time hates you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Breetai posted:

I think that Office likes to copy all the XML for the text formatting across too for "reasons" :airquote:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Microsoft's whole strategy is "do a lovely half-assed version of something somebody else is already doing better and coast by on brand recognition", I gave up on expecting good things from them years ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao at just writing off MS entirely because word is kinda lovely

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tell me you've never used teams without telling me you've never used teams

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that Office likes to copy all the XML for the text formatting across too for "reasons" :airquote:

I don't know if it was this thread or elsewhere that illuminated me to ctrl-shift-v, but paste as plain text/without formatting is a godsend.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

taqueso posted:

Tell me you've never used teams without telling me you've never used teams

I use Teams every day, it's fine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

It's this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

I use Teams every day, it's fine.
I hate that it doesn't remove the notification for a reaction if you view the message, and instead forces you to go look at it again in the notification panel.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The Fool posted:

lmao at just writing off MS entirely because word the entire product ecosystem is kinda unbelievably lovely

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams is second best in two major product categories and does a solid job of tying those features together into a cohesive whole.

Yes, Zoom has better video conferencing, chat its chat is poo poo.

Yes, slack has better chat but poo poo video.

Neither does file sharing and collaboration as well as teams, and as bad as it is, teams has way better data management than either.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

oh gently caress off with that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mikkkro$haft winbloze amirite

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The Fool posted:

mikkkro$haft winbloze amirite

This but unironically

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go back to slashdot circa 2002

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

Let’s not forget that multi session host pools for windows 10 can’t join aad only intune beacuse reasons.

I can blessedly forget about this because AAD and inTune isn’t my problem :smug:

IT ended up just needing a service account lmao. How that got turned into “setup an AAD domain” is beyond me!

Also hi I’m up at 2am because someone pinged me for something that’s completely not in my team’s remit. I deserve it though because I said in a call earlier “it’s been a really light oncall week” and the universe punishes such audacity.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

This is some sort of DLP product. It’s likely also badly configured and scanning the contents when excel copies it and then scanning the clipboard again for all the available paste types. Nobody will care to fix it, and if you push some infosec person will appear, put your device in ‘bypass’ mode, then when the problem doesn’t go away, claim this proves that DLP isn’t the issue. This is false, as bypass mode usually only turns off enforcement, everything is still being scanned.

Wait what does DLP stand for in this context? I'm guessing some sort of av from context but to me DLP is a type of projector.

We're using MS endpoint / defender or whatever they call it this week.

Also regarding the cut & paste I still use PureText. It's been around since the 90s, still works and gives you a paste as plain text key combination that bypasses the need to paste into notepad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Lum posted:

Wait what does DLP stand for in this context? I'm guessing some sort of av from context but to me DLP is a type of projector.

We're using MS endpoint / defender or whatever they call it this week.

Also regarding the cut & paste I still use PureText. It's been around since the 90s, still works and gives you a paste as plain text key combination that bypasses the need to paste into notepad

Data Loss Prevention.
Having to scan the clipboard against a database of fingerprints of all protected information is performance intensive, who knew?