Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Doctor Malaver posted:

Nepo fought well and had Carlsen on the ropes once or twice, it was exciting. Then he lost a game and disintegrated which was again interesting, just in a different way. I believe he'd be psychologically stabler in a rematch, and with Carlsen possibly less motivated, it could be a close call.

Fabi drew all the regular games and I don't remember him really threatening, or anything else interesting from that match. And he doesn't look any stronger now than he was then. I can't imagine why you'd want a repeat of that match, unless you're just rooting for an American player. Personally I'd even watch Karjakin rather than Fabi, politics aside.

From what I remember of the Carlsen-Caruana match, Fabi never seriously threatened to win a game while Magnus had two or three big chances but failed to convert any of them. Magnus was pretty scathing of his own performance afterward, said it was the worst he'd played in any match ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Just do another Carlsen-Anand.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I find funny is with 2 wins in 24 games over 2 World Championships before last time I was actually disappointed with Nepo's capitulation even though it meant decisive results.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think it's possible, maybe likely, that the next WC match will be Nepo vs Fabi and I think it will be interesting and entertaining chess.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Sub Rosa posted:

I think it's possible, maybe likely, that the next WC match will be Nepo vs Fabi and I think it will be interesting and entertaining chess.

i'm kind of bummed at this thought because i want the champ that follows magnus to be a next-generation player (either literally or figuratively) and i feel like either of those guys would be a step back

but if magnus is done, he's done. and if it's caruana v nepo i'll still watch every moment BRING IT HOME FABI

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Seeing a lot of knights on the H file and on the A file in these candidates 2022 games! Is this a noteworthy trend? Unusual?

I generally don't put my knights there, but I also don't get booked up to the gills before my games :shrug:

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Spokes posted:

BRING IT HOME FABI

39... Nc5

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hikaru called today in November 2021! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl85Gdq8-WM&t=22s

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The uncertainty of whether Magnus will play the WC is kind of unfortunate to be honest, hard to know if this battle for second place is even meaningful in that sense. It would've been better for both players and viewers had he announced his decision prior to the tournament. It's still fun to watch, and I suppose there's a small chance Nepo might not win still, but having that question mark hanging over the tournament just kind of sucks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

man people are just melting down in front of nepo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

The uncertainty of whether Magnus will play the WC is kind of unfortunate to be honest, hard to know if this battle for second place is even meaningful in that sense. It would've been better for both players and viewers had he announced his decision prior to the tournament. It's still fun to watch, and I suppose there's a small chance Nepo might not win still, but having that question mark hanging over the tournament just kind of sucks.

maybe, I think it’s super unlikely that Magnus would give up his title to the person he just completely destroyed in the last championship because he’s bored. so any announcement prior to the candidates would make it like any other candidates where 2nd place doesn’t matter

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

man people are just melting down in front of nepo

oh maybe this has something to do with it

https://twitter.com/GothamChess/status/1542346833711845377

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

this just furthers my opinion that bullet makes you worse at chess

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Horrific choke job from Fabi.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Zoran posted:

Horrific choke job from Fabi.

Dang, that was a wild game. I missed the end and was shocked to see ding pull out the w.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goongrats to nepo

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
About that Rapid Chess Championship...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Chess Thread: Decadence and Shame Flagging

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

hikaru nakamura, clear second place with a game to go. just like everyone figured it would go yep

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I was actually hoping for ding to get 2. Place after Nepo. Because he hasn't challenged Magnus yet. That would have given the best chance of him defending inserted of retiring. I think.

With nepo vs. naka, he can say that he had beaten off both already.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah Ding plays Nakamura tomorrow so he can jump to second but my hunch is that this is all theater and magnus is going to just defend against Nepo (which i hope happens despite my rabid naka fanboyism; i think Nepo is going to come in against Magnus this time with a lot less fear)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nepo did fine against magnus until game six melted his brain, i think a rematch will be interesting

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sad that there is only one more day of this tourny. Does FIDE just make the determination regarding the dates for either nepo v magnus or 1st v 2nd after the games conclude and magnus tells them what he’s feeling like?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

nepo did fine against magnus until game six melted his brain, i think a rematch will be interesting

would it be more interesting than a nepo/nakamura or nepo/ding world championship with magnus coming back next candidates trying to regain his lost title

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
It would be great to see Magnus chasing a title rather than defending one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fart simpson posted:

would it be more interesting than a nepo/nakamura or nepo/ding world championship with magnus coming back next candidates trying to regain his lost title

don’t know

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

don’t know

not surprised, moron

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sorry but i just have a low opinion of mods. nothing personal

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Magnus met with the FIDE President reportedly saying he will only play if FIDE agrees to format changes. What are those changes? We don't know, but Magnus had in the past said the WCC should incorporate multiple time controls. Giri, who spoke to Magnus after the meeting, said he thought it was 60% likely Magnus would not play. I take that to mean he thinks FIDE is 40% likely to agree.

So today's game for 2nd has a real chance to mean something. I like Hikaru and Ding so I would enjoy Ian versus either, but certainly I think with Hikaru's success in finding an audience on YouTube and Twitch, he would be the most exciting opponent. 🌻🍍🌻

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

forums poster sub rosa said that anish giri said that magnus said that fide is only 40% likely to agree to magnus’ terms. good news for hikaru fans? only time will tell

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fart simpson posted:

sorry but i just have a low opinion of mods. nothing personal
understandable

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

fart simpson posted:

forums poster sub rosa said that anish giri said that magnus said that fide is only 40% likely to agree to magnus’ terms. good news for hikaru fans? only time will tell

buddy just travel to madrid and ask magnito himself.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Magnus met with the FIDE President reportedly saying he will only play if FIDE agrees to format changes. What are those changes? We don't know, but Magnus had in the past said the WCC should incorporate multiple time controls. Giri, who spoke to Magnus after the meeting, said he thought it was 60% likely Magnus would not play. I take that to mean he thinks FIDE is 40% likely to agree.

So today's game for 2nd has a real chance to mean something. I like Hikaru and Ding so I would enjoy Ian versus either, but certainly I think with Hikaru's success in finding an audience on YouTube and Twitch, he would be the most exciting opponent. 🌻🍍🌻

Kind of wonder what would happen to hiraku's streaming if that happened. The Magnus will-he-or-won't-he stuff makes it sound like prepping for the WC is a life devouring grind, so wouldn't he have to decide (at least temporarily) between his lucrative streaming career or giving himself a shot in the match?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Second place prize last time was $500,000. I don't think Nakamura makes that in a year on Twitch, unless he has great sponsorship. Seems like it would be worth the hit.

I know Magnus spent a lot of money on his team last time, but could be someone like Rex Sinquefield would bankroll Naka's seconds for him?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

rollick posted:

Second place prize last time was $500,000. I don't think Nakamura makes that in a year on Twitch, unless he has great sponsorship. Seems like it would be worth the hit.

The twitch leak a while back lists his income as $773k for the period covered by the leak which was about two years and included a time period before his channel was huge. That's also pure twitch income so donations, sponsorships and youtube income is not included. I think it's safe to say that Hikaru makes way more than 500k per year from streaming,

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rollick posted:

I know Magnus spent a lot of money on his team last time, but could be someone like Rex Sinquefield would bankroll Naka's seconds for him?
you could come second with zero prep though :confused:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

you could come second with zero prep though :confused:

please. rollick could come in second place with infinite prep

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The leak covered August 2019 to October 2021, which I thought was peak chess boom? Here are his viewer stats for the past five years:

According to Twitchtracker he had 12k subs by June 2020 compared with 3.2k subs right now. I don't know what his baseline would be outside of the Candidates, but this graph doesn't look too promising:

Also it was actually $800k for second in 2021, not $500k, sorry. So I still think it would make sense to go for it from a financial perspective. But maybe he is making >$1million p.a. with those stats, idk.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hikaru is one of the best in the world at the game he streams.

There are not that many opportunities to play for the world title and prove yourself the best at something.

Hikaru would definitely take a hit to his image if he declined to even try for the world title, given an opening to do so, even if the short term financial considerations are somewhat understandable.

The flipside is if Hikaru actually won the title it would be a substantial boost to his already considerable streaming income, popularity and brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

He always says he's a streamer now not a "serious player" but honestly that kind of talk can really give you an edge in performance. He might play his best chess ever now