Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While you were partying, I studied the dialectics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Lol she has the wojak meme girl hair that rules

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

IAMKOREA posted:

Lol she has the wojak meme girl hair that rules

oh, she has neat hair? cool that you noticed that, I guess…. I was too busy admiring her dedication to the acquisition of knowledge and her impressive intellectual achievement to see such superficial physical traits. But good for you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stop looking at my wife.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

indigi posted:

oh lol. of course. is there unemployment assistance for jobless grads

there are big job fairs and recruitment drives on university campuses every year and a bunch of plum incentives from "second-tier" and "third-tier" cities to get young grads to work there instead of the big metropolises. those are getting stepped up heavily right now since the numbers are higher than normal

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

indigi posted:

oh, she has neat hair? cool that you noticed that, I guess…. I was too busy admiring her dedication to the acquisition of knowledge and her impressive intellectual achievement to see such superficial physical traits. But good for you.

Sounds pretty thirsty ngl

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CleveArguelles/status/1542344922149203970

I would be extremely interested in finding out which countries this person thinks isn't a democracy despite having experienced peaceful transfers of power

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

indigi posted:

wait how was that racist

Chen thinks his compatriots are pigs.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would be extremely interested in finding out which countries this person thinks isn't a democracy despite having experienced peaceful transfers of power

is that what they said?

Anyway, even in CSPAM someone told me "democracy means peaceful transition of power" and I was like "so china is a democracy?" "no."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Shenaz10/status/1542281084171436035

extremely funny if true

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Hey so are we actually making a real deal here with no takesie-backsie bullshit later and the words on the paper meaning something?

No...

What the gently caress are we even talking about then?

Meanwhile Native Americans are giving meaningful looks in the corner. (the corner is a reservation with no access to water)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well realistically america can never make such a guarantee

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that’s the price of freedom

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely funny if true

i mean why negotiate when you send in your invincible F-35s

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

fart simpson posted:

plus why on Earth would Iran believe whatever guarantee the USA was willing to hand out

on some level it’s like negotiating an nfl contract, Iran has to ask for a big signing bonus and make sure most of the money (technology transfer) gets paid out in the first two years before a new GM is hired

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Back in January or February, a group of centrist dems along with some Republicans put out a bipartisan statement saying they would scuttle any Iran deal the white house tries to do. They said the same thing about Venezuela too.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

lmao apparently iran said fine, just promise this administration would adhere to the contract and they said they couldn't promise that either

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

See this is what happens when the west pretend the world had moved on to the "liberal democracy" "rule based order" post cold war when realist politic had never left the rest of the world.

You "consensus" "negotiated treaty" doesn't mean poo poo.

(To be clear, its not like the Dem can't do anything either, they can write it into law to make it harder to pull out. It's just Biden know full well Trump will pull out of the JCPOA 2 in 2 years.)

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Jun 30, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Palladium posted:

i mean why negotiate when you send in your invincible F-35s

It's 60-year old Tom Cruise in a F18 Super Hornet excuse me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

stephenthinkpad posted:

See this is what happens when the west pretend the world had moved on to the "liberal democracy" "rule based order" post cold war when realist politic had never left the rest of the world.

You "consensus" "negotiated treaty" doesn't mean poo poo.

(To be clear, its not like the Dem can't do anything either, they can write it into law to make it harder to pull out. It's just Biden know full well Trump will pull out of the JCPOA 2 in 2 years.)

Lol, our loving constitution made treaties higher than laws and harder to repeal because even our slaver founding fathers saw the risk of breaking treaties all the time.

But America really does suck too much to even adhere to its own lovely rules

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

*alone in my kitchen, to no one in particular* president xi, my people yearn for freedom

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

*speaking into coffee maker*

president xi my people yearn for freedom. please send j-20 multirole stealth aircraft

coffee maker: *hrmmmmmm gurglegurgle*

mother fucker

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

crepeface posted:

lmao apparently iran said fine, just promise this administration would adhere to the contract and they said they couldn't promise that either

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

wow sounds like d&d should ban iran for bad faith posting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
diplomat telling his friends about the negotiations one they said that, Iran outta there!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rfa’s really invested in gif technology

A milestone marred by broken promises

Hong Kongers mark 25 years of Chinese rule on July 1 with little to celebrate and no way to safely complain, as the Chinese Communist Party's promises that the territory could run its own affairs under "one country, two systems," with the city's freedoms preserved for at least 50 years, have all been broken. Just 25 years after the 1997 handover, Hong Kong has plummeted in global press freedom rankings, filled jails with peaceful dissenters, censored school textbooks, and taken other steps that have made the former British colony look more like the Communist mainland.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ah yes not the 25 years of decolonization, the 25 years of the regime ruling over hong kong.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1542137140410306565

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
on another level, the value that the USA "creates" mostly comes from china and elsewhere. so if you shut that off and you're left with a bunch of real estate speculation, service jobs and rent-seekinig media and tech licensing co's...

sure you got some agriculture, steel, aircraft, whatever but a lot of the growth looks pretty hollow if you remove the cheap inputs and have to rely on the sectors that are a bit more abstracted from any real production like netflix

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're saying 60 countries have never had a peaceful transition of power.

I for some reason thought you had made this joke.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

on another level, the value that the USA "creates" mostly comes from china and elsewhere. so if you shut that off and you're left with a bunch of real estate speculation, service jobs and rent-seekinig media and tech licensing co's...

sure you got some agriculture, steel, aircraft, whatever but a lot of the growth looks pretty hollow if you remove the cheap inputs and have to rely on the sectors that are a bit more abstracted from any real production like netflix

its twofold in that the value is realized once it reaches the US, since its kept artificially compressed overseas through a bunch of mechanisms and that its also this force that provides the actual baseline productive forces that keep US society in operation majority of 'value' is financial/renting/energy or w/e. the U.S. just couldn't exist without it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ah yes not the 25 years of decolonization, the 25 years of the regime ruling over hong kong.
https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1542706786305576960

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

there are big job fairs and recruitment drives on university campuses every year and a bunch of plum incentives from "second-tier" and "third-tier" cities to get young grads to work there instead of the big metropolises. those are getting stepped up heavily right now since the numbers are higher than normal

Hey they do these in the US too, except it's a scam and they never actually hire people from the job fairs unless it's a super terrible lovely job then you might get a call back

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1541549129696149504

the nerfarious plan to subvert america's youth through digitally distributed chinese opera has been discovered

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Danann posted:

the nerfarious plan to subvert america's youth through digitally distributed chinese opera has been discovered

if you want to call that propaganda, it’s propaganda, fine. but any creative work in any medium transmits the culture that created it, so that’s all propaganda too. which means the term “propaganda” has become meaningless since it lacks any explanatory or delimiting power; it’s just another word for “art” now. it’s like saying Pokémon Shield is English propaganda since it translates soccer hooligan culture to the world in a positive light

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol like every Hollywood movie gets pentagon sign-off before it opens but oh no people might see interesting cultural stuff in their anime gambling game

unrelated short video about HK on the 25th anniversary of the handover. lol at the comparisons to the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYX9wAkCFt4

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

fart simpson posted:

contractual obligations is an infringement on our core values of freedom (under the social contract ethics, but that's just to keep the small folks behavin')

xiaoren has issued a correction as of 08:51 on Jul 1, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Danann posted:

id ont give a sh*t because twitter showed me this right below it

https://twitter.com/jessicapidan/status/1542529118922690561

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

indigi posted:

if you want to call that propaganda, it’s propaganda, fine. but any creative work in any medium transmits the culture that created it, so that’s all propaganda too. which means the term “propaganda” has become meaningless since it lacks any explanatory or delimiting power; it’s just another word for “art” now. it’s like saying Pokémon Shield is English propaganda since it translates soccer hooligan culture to the world in a positive light

There are people who seriously think Japan invented anime to make people forget about their war crimes, believing all art has secondary ends which are always in support of the current status quo is mainstream opinion today.

I Love Annie May has issued a correction as of 10:39 on Jul 1, 2022