Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Buck Rogers Thunderfighter from the 80's series. It just ticks all the boxes.

Also loved the Hammerhead from Space Above and Beyond, it's ugly but kind of cool, like the A10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SoylentCola posted:

Also loved the Hammerhead from Space Above and Beyond, it's ugly but kind of cool, like the A10

I don't know if this is an official unit patch but I've always thought the motto for one A-10 squadron was funny as hell:

I have a vague recollection of it being referenced in Space: Above and Beyond about the Hammerhead but I may be misremembering.

Edit: I was wrong, it was in Babylon 5 as a Starfury squadron patch.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 28, 2022

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bij posted:

The Exelion's laser batteries are HOT.

https://fat.gfycat.com/ImpeccableUnluckyFinwhale.mp4

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was about to say, the only thing I would prefer different would be a frontal battery, but here we are they've found a way around the limitations with U bend lasers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Is this from Diebuster?

I remember the first one being one of the originators of the anime homing laser trope

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Broadsides are generally better for getting more guns on a target, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of maneuvering around independently of the people aiming the guns.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

None of those are space ships though. They are clearly in atmosphere or else you wouldn't see these lasers or have those compression circles blowing off them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the incredibly difficult and challenging maneuvering programs whose sole purpose is to make sure a multiship broadside of space lazers is perfectly aligned in all planes even while the ships are moving independently or, even worse, in some sort of orbit: because slightly nonparallel lazers would be unacceptable

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Leperflesh posted:

I'm the incredibly difficult and challenging maneuvering programs whose sole purpose is to make sure a multiship broadside of space lazers is perfectly aligned in all planes even while the ships are moving independently or, even worse, in some sort of orbit: because slightly nonparallel lazers would be unacceptable

You're drat right it would be!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Vs. the Chad just point your face gun towards the enemy
Ion Array Frigate.jpg

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

Is this from Diebuster?

I remember the first one being one of the originators of the anime homing laser trope

You're going to have to go back further than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Broadsides are generally better for getting more guns on a target, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of maneuvering around independently of the people aiming the guns.

That's why the Hiigaran Destroyer from Homeworld 2 kicks rear end because it swings forward to present its broadside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked that depiction in Battlestar of them always swinging around to broadsides and sometimes we'd hear them giving the orders to bring the ship about, although it did make me wonder about the design of the giant fixed fore-facing Pegasus main battery. (all other guns on both battlestars are swivelling turrets)

I guess it made sense as the long-distance battery they fire on coming into range as they're still charging towards engagement distance. But the Pegasus didn't seem to have a side-facing super-battery equivalent. Maybe they're like that because the gun is too long face any other way? They do have a huge flame as they fire and shoot ammunition like 3m across.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 29, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Pegasus was meant to engage at long range as the centerpiece of a fleet. Galactica on the inherent hand was built as a brawler which is why its gun batteries are all along the dorsal structure where the armour is thickest. It gets stuck in and dukes it out while a ship like Pegasus is more reliant on fighter coverage and long range sniping.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I feel like Pegasus was built for duking it out, its equivalent to the galactica dorsal batteries are the ones on the engine spurs and it has just as many, then it has a big number in the crocodile head recess between the top and bottom halves, protected in the gap. But yeah, looking it seems like each of the engine pods also has a heavy long-range fixed forward firing gun to compliment the main one, so I guess there was a big plan of 'point the ship at the enemy from a long range and pummel it before getting into bruising range' and the long range and bruising armament were largely separate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

More spacecraft should have Dazzle Camo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I've always been partial to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes-style ship that's a bunch of guns and some engines

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 29, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
40k has fun space cathedrals

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've always been partial to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes-style ship that's a bunch of guns and some engines

I love the straight beams that just suddenly appear in that second gif.

Improbable Lobster posted:

40k has fun space cathedrals

I feel like the Discovery people cribbed some notes from 40k with the Klingon sarcophagus ship

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

You never really get a great look at it in the show, but you can definitely see how it's supposed to be an updated, wildly reinterpreted version of the original shape.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They started with that and just kept gluing spiky Klingon coffins to the outside.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love the straight beams that just suddenly appear in that second gif.

You can really see the difference in the remake LoGH vs the original. I wish they hadn't updated the beams.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Madurai posted:

You can really see the difference in the remake LoGH vs the original. I wish they hadn't updated the beams.

Yeah, not everything has to look like a Star Wars blaster bolt. I had the same issue with JJ Trek and phasers.

Badass:

Lameass:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Beams always just look more powerful. I don't care how many or how fast you spurt out little glowing sperms, and you can shake the camera hard as you want while the ship's ejaculating, but a surge of raw power beaming into a ship that just gets hammered under its relentless force nnnnngh uunnnngggh

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Beam weapons: You can't ignore my girth.

What happens when you try to ignore it:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, not everything has to look like a Star Wars blaster bolt.

Even Star Wars knows that:

https://i.imgur.com/Qn7Bom3.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/zNgJ9EB.mp4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

drat, the Battle of Geonosis owns so hard.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God drat disco was so terrible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Even Star Wars knows that:

I love these things so much

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not really a big fan of continuous lasers (they take up a lot of space in any given image they're in), but Geonosis had another weird different kind of weapon.

No idea what that's supposed to be, but it's something different.

If you go watch classic Doctor Who, they have a variety of weird, low-budget ways to depict their space guns. The one I remember most was when they didn't even try making it look like something was coming out of the barrel and just did a bright flash or inverting the colors of the film between one actor pointing the gun and the other miming being shot. Sometimes there was just no visual effect and just a sound. Although they also had real-rear end weapons with blanks plenty of times.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love when rayguns shoot circles

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not really a big fan of continuous lasers (they take up a lot of space in any given image they're in), but Geonosis had another weird different kind of weapon.

No idea what that's supposed to be, but it's something different.

If you go watch classic Doctor Who, they have a variety of weird, low-budget ways to depict their space guns. The one I remember most was when they didn't even try making it look like something was coming out of the barrel and just did a bright flash or inverting the colors of the film between one actor pointing the gun and the other miming being shot. Sometimes there was just no visual effect and just a sound. Although they also had real-rear end weapons with blanks plenty of times.

I think in the Republic Commando game that was supposed to be a sound or microwave gun and the geonosy folks had a theme going with it.

Also completely agreed on beams, takes up space and no-one ever gets it right outside hand painted 80's anime. Beyond that beams most of the time doesn't make me think "power" as much as "flashlight". Separated shots on the other hand simply goes 1-to-1 with reality with souped up tracers, and a much easier sell for me personally. It is interesting that people can read esthetics so differently.

And there is also an interesting esthetic argument about that cheap dr who effect. A fullscreen flash is more, bigger, than the hollywood art and could be useful as a storytelling technique to up the drama of a scene. Compare doing the same but differently through sound and go watch Heat again just to listen to the gunfire, because not only is that what gunfire sounds like, it's also what irl gunfire feels like, and that's a hard challenge to win through storytelling.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

God drat disco was so terrible.

It's pretty bad, although Picard is much worse.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, not everything has to look like a Star Wars blaster bolt. I had the same issue with JJ Trek and phasers.

Badass:

Lameass:

:hai:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think there's room for both, and I like the idea that the continuous beam weapons are The Big Guns, like there's a bunch of little pew pew pew lasers then suddenly WAMMMMMMMMMMMMM as a cutting beam fires

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well it's all part of the combat metaphor in the shows that are following one. In the case of Star Trek, the show has always been Horatio Hornblower and Star Trek ships are these big grand tall ships. So firing is a more deliberate thing, which matches up with beams and torpedoes more than machine gun style blaster pews. Star Wars is WWII fighters that are dogfighter planes so they shoot a hail of pews.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 30, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

Well it's all part of the combat metaphor in the shows that are following one.

Yeah I'm aware, but also you can update the naval combat metaphor where the pew pew pew are modern anti-aircraft rapid firing guns and the steady beams are heavier broadside cannons.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think there's room for both, and I like the idea that the continuous beam weapons are The Big Guns, like there's a bunch of little pew pew pew lasers then suddenly WAMMMMMMMMMMMMM as a cutting beam fires

Pretty much how B5 covers it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I don't know if I can agree with the idea of beams intrinsically being like a full broadside. One massive blast of coordinated volley is much closer to that well it literally is that. In stereotypical sci-fi continous beams don't have a massive effect on contact but need extended time to cut. The fire being sudden and over quickly is much more to the point than the slow, plodding stuff of star trek especially.

On place that has got it right is the cutting beam in Shipbreaker if anyone's familiar with that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Imo the best cutting beam depictions are from Mass Effect, the Reapers' weapons. They may look like energy weapons, but they're firing streams of molten metal guided by magnetic fields, creating what looks like an energy beam but causes massive explosions on impact and one-shots just about anything it hits.

The sound design helps, you can hear the thrumming as they prepare to fire and can almost feel the bass as the beam fires.