Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

most likely it'll be useful in the event of like, eventual maddening difficulty DLC requiring minmaxing

Maddening already exists. It's unlocked after a clear game.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Raserys posted:

In the top left corner of some characters portraits during battle, there's a weapon icon that's crossed out, does anyone know what that means?

Their battalion has run out of hp, so they are no longer getting the benefits from it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a place in-game to reference the elements classes have access to in their attack chain. or do I need to start taking notes?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blaziken386 posted:

Some spells and combat arts can be passed along if
-you've gotten them to level 3
-they're one of the "teachable" spells (ie: not something normally learned by certain classes)
-you have a C-rank support with the other character
-the other character has an A-rank in that specific weapon class
-the learner is assigned as an adjuntant and you use the combat art in question a bunch

it's... extremely finicky? and given that you can only use 2 combat arts anyways, generally not worth the effort. But you can do it.
most likely it'll be useful in the event of like, eventual maddening difficulty DLC requiring minmaxing

As a general rule, in addition to those requirements, a combat art or spell is teachable to someone if you learn it from your preferred classes and the art/spell isn't a universally learned art/spell.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Unreal_One posted:

Their battalion has run out of hp, so they are no longer getting the benefits from it.

Ah, cool, thanks

Also, claude's paralogue clearly suggests Judith was supposed to be playable at some point but they dropped her, maybe because they didn't want to make a distinct lord class? But then why not just reflavor a mercenary or something like with certain other characters?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They could have just put Judith on the normal class tree. Holst works just fine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When do paralogues show up? Are there prereqs I need to be focusing?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:lol: Holst canonically doesn't care if you make a pass at Hilda.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bruceski posted:

When do paralogues show up? Are there prereqs I need to be focusing?

Recruit as many people as possible, most of them require people you don't have innately.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I imagine most of what Hilda says about Holst was just to get people to stop asking her to do things.

"My brother will come and knock your home down if he finds out I had to carry some heavy books!"

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
worst part about maddening is that the money rewards don’t scale up

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The funniest part about NG+ is starting Golden Wildfire with a Lv 57 Asura Shez and Lv 49 Gremory Lysithia while everyone else was Lv 1.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Finished Scarlet Blaze and got the bad end. Kind of surprising that there is such an unambiguous Bad End that's so easy to get. Apparently this is what happens if you don't recruit Byleth, which I evidently couldn't do because I didn't recruit Jeralt, which I didn't do because on Normal he was dead before I got a prompt to do anything but kill him.

I also feel the need to note that Rhea actually became less dangerous in her final boss form, largely because she was more or less completely unable to move in that confined space and had nothing to do except spam weak AoEs fast enough to make it hard to get off a combo.

Difficulty has been a little wonky. I got frustrated with Hard early on because it felt like it was mostly just bumping up enemy levels without doing anything else, so I went back to Normal so I could blow through it faster. As the game went on I feel like the battles were complex enough that I might have found Hard more satisfying.

Caspar was the unambiguous favorite, with strength so monstrous that he could more or less delete any general with War Strike.

Other things I liked about this game:
  • It's openly and unambiguously gayer than the original.
  • Shez is actually a really likeable and interesting protagonist, so it feels like they really took the complaints about Byleth to heart.
  • The many arguments about political theory and meritocracy where nobody notices the unofficial nobility of people with anime hair, who are clearly superior to anybody who does not have anime hair.
  • Speaking of which, I think this version manages to be much more clear about Edelgard's political manifesto, which is "I am going to end feudalism and install a continent-wide bureaucratic meritocracy no matter how many people I have to kill to do it, and I do mean that literally."
  • It was inevitable that this game had fewer supports than other games, but it improved them hugely to have them not be tied to Exactly Three Conversations. I also liked that a lot of them basically served as supplementary plot progression, rather than floating in ambiguous place and time.
  • The voice acting continues to be superb. I gave all my stat-boosting items to the Empire's bright minister as a memorial token, although the stats seemed to matter less than dropping him into Holy Knight, which is much more entertaining than Paladin ever was.

Things I did not like so much:
  • The base camp is kind of annoying to navigate and would honestly be better if they just replaced it with a menu. I did appreciate how fast the warp around it is, though. Basically no loading time.
  • There are just too many RPG elements to keep track of. Too many weapons, too many items (honestly I never ran out of ingredients even when I never bought any, so they might as well not exist).
  • I recruited most of the persuadable characters because I felt bad for not doing so, but most of them had no part in the plot afterwards and just hung around the camp feeling awkward, being loving miserable, and making the menu screens harder to navigate.
  • Giant monsters are extremely boring to fight.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

[*]I recruited most of the persuadable characters because I felt bad for not doing so, but most of them had no part in the plot afterwards and just hung around the camp feeling awkward, being loving miserable, and making the menu screens harder to navigate.

I actually appreciated this, unlike Three Houses where you were just asking people to swap classes, you are instead holding them hostage either through emotional blackmail or promising not to kill their loved ones.

So while you can have your favourite characters as usual, don't expect them to like it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
despite checking supports literally every time the message popped up and constantly fielding them at the same time, I've somehow "missed the opportunity to deepen bonds" between Claude and the Goneril siblings. how. what kind of crazy small time window are their A-ranks, what the hell

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Blaziken386 posted:

despite checking supports literally every time the message popped up and constantly fielding them at the same time, I've somehow "missed the opportunity to deepen bonds" between Claude and the Goneril siblings. how. what kind of crazy small time window are their A-ranks, what the hell

In Scarlet Blaze, you recruit Leonie too late to support her at all with Shez.

e: Which is doubly absurd because she's literally the only student you recruit in Scarlet Blaze who isn't recruited at swordpoint. She joins willingly.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 30, 2022

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Blaziken386 posted:

That happened to me too, which was pretty disappointing. I guess it's nice having them reference the plot in some way, but it won't exactly be quick to do another Claude playthrough, especially since I'm going to do the other two routes first.

I'm sure I just took too long to get their supports up while I was figuring the game out. Missing the opportunity is a bit silly when they could just have it labelled as a flashback or something if you do it late.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
gotta say, im honestly surprised with Count Gloucester as a character. I did not expect to like him as much as I do, especially considering three houses kinda portrayed him as kind of an rear end in a top hat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Seeming like an rear end in a top hat but being a decent dude has been a Gloucester tradition for generations

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Lorenz just needs a sit down and talking to in order to become a decent dude. Which he gets in this game.

He does not get it at school.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

gotta say, im honestly surprised with Count Gloucester as a character. I did not expect to like him as much as I do, especially considering three houses kinda portrayed him as kind of an rear end in a top hat

Yeah he's definitely one of my favorite new additions. His stepping down to give his son power is also the best handled of those scenarios I've seen so far in the game: he recognizes power in Leicester needs to be more centralized at least in the short term to survive the war, but has also been around long enough to know a naked and opportunistic power grab when he sees one and can't bring himself to personally back it. So he puts Lorentz in charge because unlike him, Lorentz has an awkward camaraderie with Claude but will also not hesitate to push back if Claude does something to threaten Gloucester's people.

In particular I'd say one of Hopes' greatest strengths so far writing-wise is that it pulls back a bit to let the political plot breath, and in doing so even justifies some stuff from Houses retroactively. Like the reason everybody insists on Dimitri being king in AM even though he's a suicidal lunatic is because elevating anybody else would just spark another civil war after driving out the Empire, or how Claude's ability herd enough cats that he could bluff the Empire that Leicester's round table was unified in purpose for five whole years is nothing short of political heroism and a testament to his abilities.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I recruited most of the persuadable characters because I felt bad for not doing so, but most of them had no part in the plot afterwards and just hung around the camp feeling awkward, being loving miserable, and making the menu screens harder to navigate.

I’ve got a lot of recruits in the category of ‘I don’t like you and you don’t like me, but you might be needed for a paralogue, so buckle up because you’re coming along for the ride.”

Though, all the Golden Deer I’ve recruited seem pretty happy with Scarlet Blaze so far, or at least don’t seem actively miserable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

...I knew I was taking it kinda slow but I'm only in Chapter 7? That explains why I was surprised we weren't building toward some sort of endgame yet. I think I assumed the chapter count didn't reset after the Prologue.

I appreciate how the skirmish maps give a bit of a different psychological feel to each chapter even if it's technically the same. One chapter the goal's next door and doing more than necessary is "gathering my strength" before taking them on, the next chapter I'm sprinting in a straight like and have to go through almost everything to reach the goal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

In particular I'd say one of Hopes' greatest strengths so far writing-wise is that it pulls back a bit to let the political plot breath, and in doing so even justifies some stuff from Houses retroactively. Like the reason everybody insists on Dimitri being king in AM even though he's a suicidal lunatic is because elevating anybody else would just spark another civil war after driving out the Empire, or how Claude's ability herd enough cats that he could bluff the Empire that Leicester's round table was unified in purpose for five whole years is nothing short of political heroism and a testament to his abilities.

And Holst couldn't have been a playable unit in Houses because he's just as game breaking as they made him sound.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
On a Golden Deer playthrough & recruited Jeralt. Watching Leonie getting cut down by her idealised mentor was amazing.

‘I don’t even know who you are.’

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh dear. Chapter 7 spoilers.

The game hadn't made me kill a main character yet but I thiiiink there's no way to avoid killing Ingrid if your Team Edelgard? There certainly weren't any strategies for it, just Mercedes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Flytrap posted:

Oh dear. Chapter 7 spoilers.

The game hadn't made me kill a main character yet but I thiiiink there's no way to avoid killing Ingrid if your Team Edelgard? There certainly weren't any strategies for it, just Mercedes.

Yep, it's plot important even!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Yep, it's plot important even!

Well I guess the bodies had to start piling up eventually.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It sounds like the story and writing in this is actually good, and not just an excuse to string missions together? I only played Hyrule Warriors, but skipped Age of Calamity, so that's my main comparison.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holst actually completely loves you and thinks you're cool as gently caress if you do any support stuff with him, so he'd probably be overjoyed knowing that his beautiful darling sister is potentially romantically involved with someone Holst thinks rules.

Holst is a loving fantastic character and Golden Wildfire giving him *so much* screen time feels like the writers continually and liberally apologizing for us not getting him in Three Houses.

An example of how much Holst owns:

During the Holst/Balthus/Hilda paralogue, at one point Hilda gets ambushed and surrounded by a bunch of enemies. Holst puts on this incredible mock horror voice(ProZD knocked it out of the park here), bemoaning "No! My darling sister is in danger! She....wait....they really only sent that many men after her? Nevermind, she'll be fine." And then Hilda kills all of them while grousing about it.

Tender Bender posted:

It sounds like the story and writing in this is actually good, and not just an excuse to string missions together? I only played Hyrule Warriors, but skipped Age of Calamity, so that's my main comparison.

It's good enough that I'm usually excited to finish a plot mission to see what's going to happen next, with the caveat that a lot of my enjoyment is coming from knowing how Three Houses goes and seeing how they're going to gently caress with it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 30, 2022

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

And Holst couldn't have been a playable unit in Houses because he's just as game breaking as they made him sound.

On the other hand, this is Warriors: everyone becomes a death machine in Warriors, especially lately. Nintendo are probably looking at how Byleth is here and are wishing it had existed for use as the Final Smash.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Finished Scarlet Blaze and got the bad end. Kind of surprising that there is such an unambiguous Bad End that's so easy to get. Apparently this is what happens if you don't recruit Byleth, which I evidently couldn't do because I didn't recruit Jeralt, which I didn't do because on Normal he was dead before I got a prompt to do anything but kill him.

The moment that Byleth entered the battle and the game screamed that it was an important decision I just hauled rear end and killed Felix's dad to end the map so that was never an issue.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh gently caress, Holst and Claude's C support locks in Ch.8, not Ch. 9. Which means I have to redo a lot whole more, including Shamir's paralogue, to keep advancing it.

Why did they add this poo poo, like Lorenz and Marianne also has a timelock but it has 0 plot relevance.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This game whitewashes Lorenz's dad so much lol idk how I feel about it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

mabels big day posted:

This game whitewashes Lorenz's dad so much lol idk how I feel about it.

Yeah, Lorenz's dad's murder of Claude's uncle and Raphael's parents actually being a big accident according to this game is more than a bit silly

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Trying to avoid plot spoilers but I don't think the tutorial really touched on it-- is there anything crest-based going on in terms of "full power" vs. "partial power" if you're doing cross-crest equips, or is it just a binary "if they have a crest they can use a relic without taking damage" deal?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's not the worst dadwashing. SB Ch13 they loving try and make you sympathetic to Duke Aegir. :psyduck: You know the leader of the Insurrection of the Seven and the one non Agarthan who gleefully endorsed their experiments on Edelgard's family. They have him say that he never really wanted to fight Edelgard and he would've been happy if she just kept him on as Prime Minister and it's like what the fuckity gently caress. Fortunately Ferdinand is nothing like Lorenz.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

It's not the worst dadwashing. SB Ch13 they loving try and make you sympathetic to Duke Aegir. :psyduck: You know the leader of the Insurrection of the Seven and the one non Agarthan who gleefully endorsed their experiments on Edelgard's family. They have him say that he never really wanted to fight Edelgard and he would've been happy if she just kept him on as Prime Minister and it's like what the fuckity gently caress. Fortunately Ferdinand is nothing like Lorenz.

That isn't whitewashing though. That just shows him to be a craven piece of poo poo who only cares about power.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't whitewashing though. That just shows him to be a craven piece of poo poo who only cares about power.

It's him saying to himself he never wanted to fight Edelgard which feels like whitewashing to me. When the guy before clearly does not like the Hresvelgs, why would he care about finally being able to get rid of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, Lorenz's dad's murder of Claude's uncle and Raphael's parents actually being a big accident according to this game is more than a bit silly

Eh, its not really an accident and Lorenz/Ignatz still hold him completely accountable for it because he was absolutely responsible for it.

I really like what they ended up doing with Count Gloucester overall because he is a completely two-faced and conniving sonofabitch. I think in a lot of ways he actually comes off worse here than he did in 3 Houses.