Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.fiat.it/e-ulysse/e-ulysse

Already on the market, with quicker delivery times than the buzz.

if anybody can build an unreliable EV, I’d expect it to be Fiat/Stellantis/whatever they are now, ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I would like to hear more from the hydrogen car guy. Is it getting difficult to find refill stations? How is the price of hydrogen?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ok Comboomer posted:

if anybody can build an unreliable EV, I’d expect it to be Fiat/Stellantis/whatever they are now, ngl

It seems like they're pretty good at building PHEVs so maybe the experience will transfer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Speleothing posted:

It seems like they're pretty good at building PHEVs so maybe the experience will transfer.

are they?

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004

Speleothing posted:

We have a Chrysler pacifica PHEV. It’s great in the sense that it drives well and you plug it in and it charges. We essentially use no gas and it does charge pretty quickly at 6.6kw But pretty much all the electronics beyond the drive train are nearly useless.

The 360 degree camera requires going through menus to activate it, and it turns off the second you put it in drive so you have to turn it back on if you are trying to use it to parallel park. The infotainment system has no way to pause audio with a physical button. It can mute or turn the entire screen off including navigation / CarPlay. The rear seat entertainment freezes and stops working constantly. You have to restart the entire system over and over and it fails to connect to your phone constantly. It also has a habit of not starting when you push the button and you have to get out of the car and lock everything and start over.

My wife says it’s like they knew all the things they needed to make an awesome car and managed to give you all of them but none of them work quite right.

So it’s pretty good I guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cinrac posted:

My wife says it’s like they knew all the things they needed to make an awesome car and managed to give you all of them but none of them work quite right.

in other words, it’s a Chrysler

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

None of those problems are with the battery or the electric motor so I stand by my previous statement.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

It is a PSA product that is built in France. Fiat only adds the badge.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Cinrac posted:

The 360 degree camera requires going through menus to activate it, and it turns off the second you put it in drive so you have to turn it back on if you are trying to use it to parallel park.

FYI you can drag the camera app in the app drawer to one of the bottom buttons that's there all the time on the screen.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

bad_fmr posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Peugeot e-Expert/e-Traveller, Opel Vivaro-e, Toyota ProAce Electric and Fiat e-Ulysse are all on the same platform.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The Peugeot e-Expert/e-Traveller, Opel Vivaro-e, Toyota ProAce Electric and Fiat e-Ulysse are all on the same platform.

Historically the fiat Ulysse and Lancia Z/Phedra had been the best upholstered versions of the SEVEL Eurovan vehicles. Shame Lancia stopped participating, the Phedra had Mercedes class alcantara and leather in their last iteration.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

yes and Toyota owns like 20% of Subaru what’s your point?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes and Toyota owns like 20% of Subaru what’s your point?

SEVEL Eurovan is a drivetrain+platform kit derived from their commercial vehicles, sold to multiple brands as a ODM kit, where the OEM will design and develop the interiors and exteriors, and the complete car will be built at one of three plants owned by SEVEL, one in France and two in Italy if i remember correctly. The Toyota variant uses their own infotainment, switch gear, seats and interior/exterior designs but everything else is french-italian. Friends owned multiple units of the fiat and Citroen eurovan 1 and those were pretty much tanks, surviving daily life with lots of toddlers and kids which would have torn your average car asunder. Thankfully their kids are now old enough to run their own scooters so I have no idea on how the eurovan 2 or newer fares.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 29, 2022

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cruft posted:

I would like to hear more from the hydrogen car guy. Is it getting difficult to find refill stations? How is the price of hydrogen?

I think there's two parts to your first question, the existence of stations and their uptime.

The station map hasn't really changed much in the past year in terms of expanding reach -- they keep wanting to build stations in the bay area which already has a bunch. In theory I could (just barely) make it from SF to LA by filling first in San Jose and then in Santa Barbara, with about 100 miles of slack. Going north, there's nothing past Sacramento so you could make it to about Chico before having to turn back. I don't see anything expanding this range at the permitting state right now.

As for reliability.... yeah, no. There are three stations in Sacramento, with one about two miles from me. That one has been very flaky over the past year. I'd be surprised if its uptime was more than 60%, and has a real fun habit of going down during my five-minute drive to the station. In January the whole town was down to a single working pump, which itself saw wait times in the hours.

It's gotten somewhat better now, but the station near me has been down for the past week and a half anyway so gently caress you, Shell.

As for the price, it has ostensibly held steady at $16.45/kg, or about $8.00/GGE by my math, but when you lease a FCEV you get a card for free gas, and I think just about everyone leases. That part at least is pretty nice these days.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bad_fmr posted:

I'm not sure that makes it any better

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The butt plug on eBay that I ordered Tesla TPMS sensors from just never shipped them so I had to wait a week and then file a "I haven't gotten this" report with eBay and I guess he now has another week to refund me before they'll do anything.

I've got the wheels but the lug nuts and center caps that I ordered with the wheels from the same people haven't even shipped yet. I sent them an email yesterday asking them what the hold up was. They haven't responded.

Discount Tire loving owns though they got the tires I wanted from Sacramento in less than a day and I showed up an hour before close with no appointment and they said sure we've got time to mount and balance them so they did.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Discount Tire does in fact own. They do the tire warranty paperwork since my car chews through a set twice as fast as they should, and this is 100% not my fault no sir.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sitting next to a couple of Lucid Airs at a fast charger, they seem nice but kind of give me a 1980s vibe for some reason

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Sitting next to a couple of Lucid Airs at a fast charger, they seem nice but kind of give me a 1980s vibe for some reason

I saw one at a mall location and it gave off old Buick vibes

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

McTinkerson posted:

Screw minivan. Ford makes the transit full sized vans based on the F150 frames. Gimme a full size transit on a Lightning frame in panel trim so I can commission some rad murals with wizards shooting lightning bolts.

If only they would up the range from 125 miles.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VideoGameVet posted:

If only they would up the range from 125 miles.

The e-transit website claims 317km for their l2 model, i wonder how big of a hit adding cargo will do tho.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That looks really good. Well chosen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks, I'm pretty happy.

I'll be happier when I get my goddamn center caps.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Looking good, I'd say a solid improvement over the uberturbines.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nice clown car for clowns

(actually tires look great)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Are we not talking about the Lyriq? Because they seemed to have nailed loving everything at a shocking price point.

I'd cancel my Mach-E if I wasn't trying to be optimistic that it is delivered this year with a Lyriq looking about 2 years out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Are we not talking about the Lyriq? Because they seemed to have nailed loving everything at a shocking price point.

I'd cancel my Mach-E if I wasn't trying to be optimistic that it is delivered this year with a Lyriq looking about 2 years out.

frankly in your shoes I’d cancel the Mach E and go get a newly post-price drop/interior upgrade Bolt or Bolt EUV right now and then trade it in or sell it in 2-3 years (or not! People seem to really like their Bolts) for a Caddy, or one of the many other EVs that are supposed to be on the market at that point.

The Mach E just seems like such a pile/beta test of a product at this moment

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ours has been great, knock on wood.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m looking hard at the AWD Limited Ioniq 5, although the 2023 model adds a camera under the rear spoiler to help with backing up. (No rear wiper and back up camera gets dirty real easily.)
I like the idea of solar panels on the roof, but do they do much at all?
One of the main things I want to do with an EV is go on lots of road-trips and go camping. The Ioniq can fit a tron air mattress in the back when the seats are folded down, are there any other options worth considering? I have a folding wheelchair (Whill Ci, breaks into three pieces), and I’m a little worried about fitting a mattress AND the chair pieces. (The current completely-untested thought is to put them on the front seats.)
…maybe I’m better off waiting for the VW ID.Buzz, but that’s not until 2024.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Ioniq 5 is still my favorite of actually obtainable offerings. I mean I would take a Porsche Taycan Cross/Sport Turismo obviously or a Rivian.
I will say you might be underwhelmed at the software experience and updates with Hyundai, especially compared to a Tesla or Polestar. They don't do OTA or ever give updates on what they're working on it seems like. Maybe somebody with a newer ownership experience than my 2017 Kia can chime in on that (they run the same software).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Valicious posted:

I’m looking hard at the AWD Limited Ioniq 5, although the 2023 model adds a camera under the rear spoiler to help with backing up. (No rear wiper and back up camera gets dirty real easily.)
I like the idea of solar panels on the roof, but do they do much at all?
One of the main things I want to do with an EV is go on lots of road-trips and go camping. The Ioniq can fit a tron air mattress in the back when the seats are folded down, are there any other options worth considering? I have a folding wheelchair (Whill Ci, breaks into three pieces), and I’m a little worried about fitting a mattress AND the chair pieces. (The current completely-untested thought is to put them on the front seats.)
…maybe I’m better off waiting for the VW ID.Buzz, but that’s not until 2024.

The amount of solar on that is probably a couple hundred watts at most, at its peak, so its not helping your range, and even if you're just parked, at say 200w for a generous 10 hours every day, you'd get back like %10 battery after 4-5 days.

That said considering the vehicle to load function of the ioniq 5, and you're out camping, it would be more than enough solar to keep your phones charged up, run some lights, appliances, etc without draining your battery. I do actually think an ioniq 5 with a solar panel would be a pretty fantastic camping car just for that reason of carrying a giant battery and a few hundred watts of solar power with you wherever you go. Also with how fantastically fast the e-gmp's charge, its also great for long travel, adding to my positive opinion of the ioniq 5 as a camping car.

Regarding the space I actually can comment on that funny enough, when I went for a road trip recently in the smaller but similar EV6, we were able to fit 4 suitcases, some bags, and a collapsing travel wheelchair in the back. It was a little tight, but that was even with the rear seats fully reclined eating into the space, though we did have to take out the false floor to give a little extra space in the boot. Keep in mind as well, the EV6 back seats only tilt up and down, whereas the ioniq 5's rear seats slide forward and backwards so you can get a lot more space in it. I guess it all depends on how much stuff you need to bring and how big/shaped it is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

0-60?

Trap speed?

And that's not really a joke I mean I know a lot of people don't care about poo poo like that but the thing is gonna weigh over 5000 pounds and have as little as 340 hp depending on configuration so it absolutely is a concern.

So they definitely haven't nailed "everything" is my point I guess.

Some EV shoppers are coming from a Prius and some EV shoppers are coming from a GT500 and the two look at each other like they each are inscrutably alien.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the vid I watched said his butt o meter guess 0-60 6s. It's not a quick car by those measures. You'd want the -V
edit: that was the RWD

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Interestingly the AWD model has a lower AC charging rate. 19.2kW vs 11.5kW so it's not like most people have a 100A circuit anyway. Under the hood is the inverter so I guess they have to shrink it for AWD.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Aside from the December stop sale preventing me from picking up my MachE from the dealer for a few days, it’s been good to me since then.

All EVs are poo poo in one way or another, just like ICE cars, just gotta hope one is a smaller pile than the others.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

My wife works at a Ford dealership and through some process I don’t understand, we got to drive around a lightning all day.

All I can say is, it’s a truck. Nothing super exceptional about it. Other than the normal crazy electric torque it didn’t feel special. This was a high trim one so it’s nice, but not anything amazing over a gas version. Screen/infotainment is from the mache and works the same.

My two main complaints were that it was surprisingly loud with all its cooling fans ramped up (it’s hot here) and that there is a backup beep that I couldn’t figure out how to turn off.

Overall I like it. It’s a truck, and I think that’s the point. Now I’ll go back to driving around the worlds most expensive golf cart (my i3).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

You're not supposed to be able to turn off the backup beep. That's a safety thing.

And as far as I can tell the only problems with the Lyriq are the wait time and no frunk. It's a luxury SUV, not a performance SUV.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

atomicpile posted:

My two main complaints were that it was surprisingly loud with all its cooling fans ramped up (it’s hot here) and that there is a backup beep that I couldn’t figure out how to turn off.

The backup beep is part of the pedestrian warning system that is federally required for newer hybrids and EVs so there isn't a way to just turn it off. Also since it uses the same speaker it ironically ends up louder in front than behind. My Maverick hybrid does it as well; kind of a 'bonk bonk' noise but isn't as loud as a full 87db+ OSHA-grade alarm. If the Lightning has a discrete control module like the F150 hybrid you can FORScan some values to unplug it (otherwise you get CEL), but installing a resistor of similar value as the speaker can supposedly fake it out as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

atomicpile posted:

Overall I like it. It’s a truck, and I think that’s the point. Now I’ll go back to driving around the worlds most expensive golf cart (my i3).

Yup, this is exactly why we all got so excited about it when it was announced. If they can make this as boring as possible, it's going to be a game changer for EVs.