Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Boiling water, the first and last cooking trick of the English speaking world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please don't undersell European innovation - they also boil beef.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

Counterpoint, don't buy worthless poo poo that accomplishes one task when you could simply use a pot.

Electric Kettle is way faster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I boil my water in a crock pot

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gaius Marius posted:

Counterpoint, don't buy worthless poo poo that accomplishes one task when you could simply use a pot.

it takes a fraction of the time, I'm not gonna watch a fuckin pot like an idiot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

it takes a fraction of the time, I'm not gonna watch a fuckin pot like an idiot.

well there's your problem

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DaysBefore posted:

Oh the guy from that Atun-Shei video, yeah he sucks lmao

Detectives I think this case is closed, the channel sucks smelly rear end

I know Atun-Shei is probably uninterested in it but it was hilarious to hear him dunk on the pseudo-history guys in that video.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you have time to post you have time to boil water lol. Whole lotta mad British out here trying to gaslight people into buying electric kettles so everyone is forced to live with the same level of degradation and deprivation they do.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Noah is pronouncing Mimic Tear like you tear a paper and I'm questioning everything

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're not trying to gaslight you - electric kettles use electricity.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I got nothing against electric kettle but I have to ask how y'all cook if you think people are staring at water waiting for it to boil. I usually just put the burner on and start prepping other ingredients (cutting veggies, getting stuff all measured out, etc; it relaxes me)

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Gaius Marius posted:

If you have time to post you have time to boil water lol. Whole lotta mad British out here trying to gaslight people into buying electric kettles so everyone is forced to live with the same level of degradation and deprivation they do.

I think you’re declaring war on Finland here, ain’t a single home in this country without an electric kettle in the kitchen.

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Most people I know in UK have electric kettle, it is considered bizarre to not have one. Some have a whistle kettle but that is rarer. All will have a kettle of some sort. These are mostly exclusively used for hot beverages, for food a saucepan is still used. Kettles are better than saucepans as they are easy to pour and you can leave the water in them for next cup and it's covered and out of the way.

Most UK hotels will have a small kettle in the room with you and tea/coffee etc.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 30, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGT8hoUehI
Still in the middle of watching this but a pretty good OKI about a wannabe military guy who decided to live out his special forces fantasies during the American invasion of Afghanistan.
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. I hope Penny stays well.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I got nothing against electric kettle but I have to ask how y'all cook if you think people are staring at water waiting for it to boil. I usually just put the burner on and start prepping other ingredients (cutting veggies, getting stuff all measured out, etc; it relaxes me)
they mean that it saves you time but thanks for explaining how cooking works

Gaius Marius posted:

look at mr three pots over here thinking he can flex. mark fisher capitalist realism.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
münecat came out with a Manosphere video, overlaps a lot with FB Signifier's two recent videos. She does focus more on grifts, which is niche she focuses on, and less on the sociology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgO25FTwfRI

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Let's roast people on the rest of their kitchen set up.

Do you people all use little knives or is everyone correctly using a scimitar to butter our bagels these days?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

they mean that it saves you time but thanks for explaining how cooking works

But if you watch the pot then it never boils, that's the real time waster

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Let's roast people on the rest of their kitchen set up.

Do you people all use little knives or is everyone correctly using a scimitar to butter our bagels these days?
lmao if you support the destruction of our planet by consuming the juices of burping bovines.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am not even sure what the difference is between using an electric kettle or a standard one.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

DeafNote posted:

I am not even sure what the difference is between using an electric kettle or a standard one.

An electric kettle is plugged into the wall socket, a regular one is put on the stove. This means an electrical one is way more efficient since there is less waste heat. Hope this helps.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Electric kettles transfer heat better because you don't have to wait for the pot to heat up and then- as the second step- heat the water inside of it. This is critical, because if you have one, you need hot water at a moment's notice because Brits will die if they go more than 27 minutes without a cup of tea.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I've never seen a stove kettle in my life outside of Victorian museums and films where they want the whistle blowing to add tension.

Do Americans have a preponderance of funnels to pour all the boiled pot water into the appropriate receptacles? It seems like a cruel and unusual way to live.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Just read an article about this argument which claimed that electric kettles aren’t as common in the US because the voltage of your standard power point there makes them take longer.

Possibly plausible, possibly galaxy brained.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A board game review that's actually an extended history of Mafia/Werewolf and social deduction games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049fTXv6XFI

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Speaking of European Bullshit, I am not sure whether 'not knowing about reusable shopping bags' is a Drew thing or a US thing? I am not super surprised that they might not be in common use across the Atlantic, but I wasn't expecting to see them in a weird ads video.

E: I mean the ad is weird for me too, but only because these bags are $1 at literally any grocery store and there are So Many Design Variations so I can't imagine ordering them online.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roach Warehouse posted:

Just read an article about this argument which claimed that electric kettles aren’t as common in the US because the voltage of your standard power point there makes them take longer.

Possibly plausible, possibly galaxy brained.

They do take longer than in other countries but are still considerably faster than (non-induction) stovetops.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
This just seems like a semantic argument to me. Most American houses I've been to have electric drip coffee makers a la Mr. Coffee if they drink it on the reg. I don't see what the difference is at that point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vagabong posted:

I've never seen a stove kettle in my life outside of Victorian museums and films where they want the whistle blowing to add tension.

Do Americans have a preponderance of funnels to pour all the boiled pot water into the appropriate receptacles? It seems like a cruel and unusual way to live.

Have you never poured anything without a spout on it?

My mom had indoor plants and she'd just fill a cup with water and pour it onto them instead of getting a watering can. Is this also a crime against the natural order?

Is anyone interested in the Elden Ring player that made a name for himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikUiOKTv-Y8

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah but its like a right pain in the arse.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the stove top is for making abuelita and part of the process is spilling it all over the counter and burning yourself because trying to pour from a pot to a mug is a nightmare difficulty task

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RareAcumen posted:

Is this some kind of life hack where you use the handle as a spout or something? Just get a good pot with a decent spout and you spill a whole lot less.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I boil water in a stovetop whistler kettle when I need to make rice, and in a big pot when I need to make pasta. An electric kettle doesn't meet the volume requirements for pasta-making at all but might be useful for rice... except I make full use of the boiling-water time to chop onions, melt butter, and do the rest of my prep, so it doesn't help me at all.

Electric kettles are extremely good at providing near-instant low-to-low-medium quantities of boiling water but as an American I have vanishingly few use cases for that result.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only time I ever saw stove kettles was growing up in (post)Communist Poland where everyone was in poverty and technology was way behind the West lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i cook everything in a big cauldron. made a nice elf boy some drugs out of a shroom

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I don't use a kettle of any sort. I log in and read posts while holding a big pot of water and my white-hot rage gets things boiling in no time at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I boil water in a stovetop whistler kettle when I need to make rice, and in a big pot when I need to make pasta. An electric kettle doesn't meet the volume requirements for pasta-making at all but might be useful for rice... except I make full use of the boiling-water time to chop onions, melt butter, and do the rest of my prep, so it doesn't help me at all.

Electric kettles are extremely good at providing near-instant low-to-low-medium quantities of boiling water but as an American I have vanishingly few use cases for that result.
You don't have an electric rice cooker?

Archer666 posted:

The only time I ever saw stove kettles was growing up in (post)Communist Poland where everyone was in poverty and technology was way behind the West lol

Vagabong posted:

It is the most British thing ever to assume people use stove top kettles when they say they don't have an electric kettle, instead of realizing the obvious actual truth that Americans just don't have a kettle of any kind.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't have a rice cooker or a kettle. I do have a coffee maker

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
rice cookers are cool and so are instapots. gently caress yeah fast crockpot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Speaking of European Bullshit, I am not sure whether 'not knowing about reusable shopping bags' is a Drew thing or a US thing? I am not super surprised that they might not be in common use across the Atlantic, but I wasn't expecting to see them in a weird ads video.

E: I mean the ad is weird for me too, but only because these bags are $1 at literally any grocery store and there are So Many Design Variations so I can't imagine ordering them online.

I'm pretty sure plenty of states have actually banned single use plastic bags for big stores. I'm baffled at the idea that someone in the US wouldn't have heard of them, but I suppose the US is a very large place.