Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Peep my thread history and speed it up from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
spin off threads usually die fast unless they're an enormous game. point in case ngu chat has lived in this thread the entirety of the game and I don't think anything currently discussed is anywhere near as popular

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

uPen posted:

It's slower than you think.

You won't ever finish.

A couple specific questions I guess:

I found these twp beginner guides:
https://wooledge.org/~greg/evolve/guide.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SP11y21XwYAIRUa0mq3X58MP3F6KTJpsDNA2dFYYJvQ/edit#gid=814253182
Are they recommended to follow? Is there another one people prefer?

Should I be playing on this TMVictor "branch" so I can use a script? I saw people in here talking about scripts earlier but not sure how important it is.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Garfu posted:

Peep my thread history and speed it up from the start.

I believe this is all of them:

Garfu posted:

This is the method I came up with:

code:
(for chrome)
1. Load the page
2. Locate evolve.js in the devconsole
3. Place a breakpoint at line 4: switch (data.loop) {
4. Reload the page
5. Hover over 'data' and change 'period:' to 25 (lowest I found that still works and doesn't lockup the game after a while)
6. Click resume script execution, or press F8
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 two more times for each type of loop (main, which handles the evolution stage, mid, which handles mostly everything else, and long, which handles the day cycles and some other stuff)

You'll have to repeat this every time you prestige. Or make a tampermonkey/greasemonkey script to do it for you.

Some tips for optimizing:
-Set the short speed as low as 20 up through Bioseeding for maximum speed e.g. 20/1000/5000
-Set the long speed as low as 100 for maximum soul gem farming e.g. 250/1000/100
-Set the mid speed as low as 50 for mech grinding e.g. - 250/50/5000
-Messing with all of the speeds at once will make the game chug anywhere past the early game, so setting the above speeds when you need to will maximize your output

Basically you don't need to mess with the different loops outside of the one you're currently utilizing most. Short for resource farming. Mid for mechs and spying. Long for day cycle, so pretty much just soul gems.
That guy may have a better way to do it tho

edit: all of the above settings and minimum ms speeds are dependent on your cpu so mileage may vary. Those were my observations with a 6700k @ 4.5ghz

Garfu posted:

Listen, Evolve is my favorite incremental of all time, but I'm done waiting for soul gems, and you can be done too!

code:
 document.getElementById('statsPanel').__vue__.r.Soul_Gem.amount += 10000000 

What I normally do is just fork the code and check in a version that does that. I just did a playthrough of arcanum at 100 speed that was nice

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Aerox posted:

A couple specific questions I guess:

I found these twp beginner guides:
https://wooledge.org/~greg/evolve/guide.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SP11y21XwYAIRUa0mq3X58MP3F6KTJpsDNA2dFYYJvQ/edit#gid=814253182
Are they recommended to follow? Is there another one people prefer?

Should I be playing on this TMVictor "branch" so I can use a script? I saw people in here talking about scripts earlier but not sure how important it is.

No, the tmvictor script and branch is defunct and not needed. You want the script from: Here as well as play on the main site Here.

That first guide is recent enough that skimming it looks okay for the first run while that second guide is so out of date that I wouldn't touch it.

The game itself has a very robust wiki Here and contains all the mechanics, calculators, and math that you could want.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 26, 2022

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Aerox posted:

If this thread has finally convinced me I should finally give in and try Evolve for the very first time, what should I know before I dive in?

It's everything everyone says they hate about incrementals, but paradoxically everyone who says they hate those things also plays Evolve.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ErIog posted:

It's everything everyone says they hate about incrementals, but paradoxically everyone who says they hate those things also plays Evolve.

Nah, I dislike those things and only played Evolve for like two weeks.

I can see the allure, but it’s one of those games that either needs the script to help play it, or you never get to see most of the game. The game play is setting up what you want to do like in trimps +script, but manually playing requires regular input or it stalls for large portions of the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Rynoto posted:

The game itself has a very robust wiki Here and contains all the mechanics, calculators, and math that you could want.

For all that's good or bad about Evolve, the wiki is a work of art. It's officially supported and keeps up with content updates, and has a one-click feature where you can instantly import your save and see how many resources it would take you to reach the next building or whatever. It'a a really cool implementation.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ErIog posted:

thats how you know their hate is well founded and understood-- it comes from somewhere

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Set your rest slot to Murder and tell your goblins to support West Ham instead

Mornington Crescent Idle

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Went back to fiddle around with Groundhog Life. Anyone remember how to get an unlimited/extreme amount of fast forward?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Is there anything I should know about Ascensions, especially the very first one? I'm currently almost wrapping up a Banana Republic run and I'm wondering if I can just keep going into my first Ascension without much hassle once I get the fifth BR goal and Unify-out of the scenario.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Banana Republic is automatically at 4 stars, yes? That's probably not a great idea for your first ascension.

The big PSA I have is that by the time you're wrapping up your very first ascension, you're probably deep enough into hell that you're thinking you might as well stick around an extra little bit for the pillars. Don't. You can't actually click the pillar button unless you already have a Harmony Crystal from an earlier ascension.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

4G's new game should be in a good place vis-a-vis cultural relevancy, because all 10 Megaman Battle Network games are getting released on Switch/PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anP8oC-ePY

Now I just need someone to make an idle/incremental version of the Megaman Legends games, so that they will also be released for modern consoles.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I spent about a month trying to get into evolve but resource caps made any AFK progression meaningless and I didn't even seem to get close to anything that looked like prestiging. And then managing all the resources for power plants just threw me out entirely.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jabor posted:

Banana Republic is automatically at 4 stars, yes? That's probably not a great idea for your first ascension.

The big PSA I have is that by the time you're wrapping up your very first ascension, you're probably deep enough into hell that you're thinking you might as well stick around an extra little bit for the pillars. Don't. You can't actually click the pillar button unless you already have a Harmony Crystal from an earlier ascension.

Should I do the standard 3* sans the Plasmid lock, then? Or would you suggest even lower *s for first Ascension?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's an argument to 0* your very first one just to get the Ascended bonus before you start doing starred-up runs. But jumping in with 3* is probably pretty reasonable too.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jabor posted:

There's an argument to 0* your very first one just to get the Ascended bonus before you start doing starred-up runs. But jumping in with 3* is probably pretty reasonable too.

Cool. And are there any guides or suggestions for what to start with in terms of the custom species options you get after?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Xerol posted:

resource caps

This is the main reason to use the script, imo

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

KazigluBey posted:

Cool. And are there any guides or suggestions for what to start with in terms of the custom species options you get after?

Slavery/Creative/Kindling Kindred/Brute/Musical are all good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Evolve: "Crafted" materials are only the red ones that come from Craftsmen, correct? And the ones that come from Factories are "Manufactured"? So, the bonuses from Factories to "Crafted" materials are not for the ones the Factories make?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

KazigluBey posted:

Slaver is always required as it lets you use your custom species to fanaticism it to others. Compact is also essential for general custom use. After those you want ones like: Ghostly (Soul Gem), Spiritual*, Claws, Musical, Unified*, Calm, Fiery, Mimic*, Linked*. Those are all ones that'll get you going and you'll add more as you complete EM challenges. As a general rule you want combat bonuses first for soul gems, then global productions, then targeted productions unless they're unusually strong, like Linked. Take a bunch of negative traits to pay for them all as you can use your quickly ballooning plasmid count to pay to remove the worst ones.

*Spiritual and Unified are more important once you've maxed out your crispr and are running theocracy full time. Mimic and Linked are hard to get right now for you but very strong. Linked heavily buffs factories and Mimic lets you inherit angelic for hell farming and small for ccr.

I usually just inherit creative and kindling kindred as they're expensive.

Toshimo posted:

Evolve: "Crafted" materials are only the red ones that come from Craftsmen, correct? And the ones that come from Factories are "Manufactured"? So, the bonuses from Factories to "Crafted" materials are not for the ones the Factories make?

Yes. Factories are only boosted by some researches and quantum level (besides the normal global boosts).

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 28, 2022

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Slavery? You mean Slaver where you capture slaves in battle for a production boost or are you talking about something better? Because using the battle system is too annoyingly active for me to bother with if I can help it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sibling of TB posted:

Slavery? You mean Slaver where you capture slaves in battle for a production boost or are you talking about something better? Because using the battle system is too annoyingly active for me to bother with if I can help it.

You don't have to use the battle system for them as there's an option to purchase. And they're an easy large global production boost.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah even if you don't use scripts, your governor can buy slaves automatically

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Evolve: Decided to try my first Valdi run after doing some 3* and hoo boy is this possibly even worse than NGU Troll runs.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

Slaver is always required as it lets you use your custom species to fanaticism it to others. Compact is also essential for general custom use. After those you want ones like: Ghostly (Soul Gem), Spiritual*, Claws, Musical, Unified*, Calm, Fiery, Mimic*, Linked*. Those are all ones that'll get you going and you'll add more as you complete EM challenges. As a general rule you want combat bonuses first for soul gems, then global productions, then targeted productions unless they're unusually strong, like Linked. Take a bunch of negative traits to pay for them all as you can use your quickly ballooning plasmid count to pay to remove the worst ones.

*Spiritual and Unified are more important once you've maxed out your crispr and are running theocracy full time. Mimic and Linked are hard to get right now for you but very strong. Linked heavily buffs factories and Mimic lets you inherit angelic for hell farming and small for ccr.

I wish I'd seen that before I just ascended (done with technophobe in Micro, on to Magic!). That's 2 full technophobes down.

My custom race is missing some of those traits, but I also didn't want to overdo it on the negatives. I think I got most of the critical ones, though. I'll have a chance to respec tomorrow once I do my opening 0* ascension in magic.
code:
"genus": "small",
    "traitlist": [
        "musical",
        "slaver",
        "chameleon",
        "angry",
        "autoignition",
        "atrophy",
        "frail",
        "gluttony",
        "gnawer",
        "mistrustful",
        "invertebrate",
        "nearsighted",
        "ravenous",
        "slow_regen",
        "unorganized",
        "compact",
        "forge",
        "fragrant",
        "ghostly",
        "thalassophobia",
        "blurry",
        "brute"
    ]

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I wish I'd seen that before I just ascended (done with technophobe in Micro, on to Magic!). That's 2 full technophobes down.

It should be noted that if you're going to be doing an attempt at Truepath soon that you'll want to completely redo your custom to include faster training, faster soldier healing, and less soldier deaths on top of the more combat rating before moving into global productions.

With that said the only big one I see you missing is Fiery which is a +65% Combat Rating.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Evolve: I gave my governor 1 task: Forge Horseshoes. My governor has made zero horseshoes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Toshimo posted:

Evolve: I gave my governor 1 task: Forge Horseshoes. My governor has made zero horseshoes.

I don't recall exactly, but I think you need to be at max storage for the resources. It's more of a "spend surplus on horseshoes" unless you change the config.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Hughlander posted:

What I normally do is just fork the code and check in a version that does that.

Yeah this is way easier long term.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Evolve Idle question.

I'm going for my first black hole reset, so I'm experiencing all this interstellar and hell stuff for the first time. I seem to be stuck though, how do I unlock missions to the white dwarf and black hole? The wiki isn't helpful, is it just time? Is it some resource accumulating? Do I need to research Virtual Reality? I really have no idea how to progress this interstellar section of the game.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jester Mcgee posted:

Do I need to research Virtual Reality?

Yes. Soul gems are a major bottleneck at this point.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jester Mcgee posted:

Evolve Idle question.

I'm going for my first black hole reset, so I'm experiencing all this interstellar and hell stuff for the first time. I seem to be stuck though, how do I unlock missions to the white dwarf and black hole? The wiki isn't helpful, is it just time? Is it some resource accumulating? Do I need to research Virtual Reality? I really have no idea how to progress this interstellar section of the game.

You probably need to research energy shields, a tech that requires ~775K knowledge. Without looking, I'd guess you don't have all the soul gem researches unlocked and you're gated behind those, but you may just need to up your knowledge cap. If neither of those are the case, look through the buildings you've unlocked and ensure you've got at least one of each, there's a few techs that require something built and you may have just passed it by because it wasn't appealing or practical. This is also a decent time to level up your supercollider a little if that's appealing.

e: yeah, virtual reality is necessary, didn't see that question.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Ok, thanks. I was hesitant to buy the soul gem techs because those soul gems are so valuable and the wiki didn't indicate they were requirements. I'll buy up the soul gem researches then.

Edit - Looks like the exact answer to "what triggers neutron star mission and black hole mission?" is to research energy shields, as soon as I researched that they both popped.

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 30, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Buy VR first because it is the gatekeeper for a bunch of other techs.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

As far as I can tell from reading, I just need to bang out a quick 0* ascension in each universe to unlock the harmony crystal cost creep discount, then I'm good to go for my 4* technophobe. Is that correct, or will 0* only give 1/5th of the harmony crystal bonus?

Evolve:
For anyone wondering, the harmony crystal CCR is partial for lower-star ascensions and only provides the full CCR at 4*. Still worth it for the 5% ascended bonus, though.

I checked the game's code to confirm.
https://github.com/pmotschmann/Evolve/blob/bcc0a2be314efd712ef031ee14aa3d97e4f9170f/src/functions.js#L750

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Succubox

Which is the better place to put your skill points, strength or intelligence. My security teams have mostly resolved my disagreements with the rest of the world, but I'm worried about putting skills in the wrong place in case Box Quest 2 comes out and you can port your character over. It's been a lot of work getting this far in Box Quest 1!

:v:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I had Trimps open and running for years, but stopped a couple years ago. Just logged in again, and I have nearly zero recollection of what all the advanced stuff does. Is there a good resource, forum, or primer for WTF any of these fancy geegaws do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://trimps.fandom.com/wiki/Guide:NewPlayerGuide(Truth)

This will explain basically everything except maybe whats only available in the very late game.