Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also just make the AI specialize in 1 type on MaA like the smart player does since thats so much more powerful than using mixed types

That or revamp the MaA so the using mixed actually makes sense (I suppose thats what they are planning to do eventually)

edit: vvvv agreed. I also miss regencies

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It wasnt just speed 5 to make things happen, you could mess around with who your regent was using vassal reassignment and marriage stuff so you could still do the political things you wanted. It was a nice internal game imo

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I would love to see more internal court factions and politics. Right now we have semi-random events among courtiers that adds some dynamism in a court, but I'd love to see groups vying for the monarch's attention for personal gain and policy making while sabotaging each other in the attempt. I think Conclave came close to this, but I'd like to see it more dynamic.

I know the issue would be how this would be modeled efficiently in that the player would be able to play along and that it doesn't bog the game down with 1000's of behind the scenes interactions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also just make the AI specialize in 1 type on MaA like the smart player does since thats so much more powerful than using mixed types

I've been saying from the start that the AI should always build solely their cultural MaA, plus 1 or 2 siege units. If they have multiple cultural units, they would just randomly pick one of them to specialize in. That way you would end up with some Bedouin for instance that are 100% Camels, while others go all in on Mubarizun. Or even a 2/3rds 1/3rd split so they have a mix of both.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SlothBear posted:

Playing as Unlanded

Magil Zeal posted:

The problem with regencies

I think if they figure out the former they’d have the latter pretty much solved as well. some way to play as a courtier/child who has to find a way to get landed/ensure they actually receive their birthright could be fun. basically you’d be playing as a spymaster, finding and giving hooks for leverage over your regent or powerful vassals, starting a faction to get your title back, etc.

also there should be an abdicate to heir decision, make it cost renown and an additional opinion malus on the heir

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah it’s a bit janky that the only ways to step down are to abdicate under stress or kill your self.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
You can fail to imprison a vassal not in a faction/indirect vassal and surrender to the tyranny war.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

What is everyone's favorite region to play in these days?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

I've always enjoyed sub-saharan Africa and the horn. Lots of religions smacking up against each other. And Iberia and Scandinavia have Objectively More content so there's that, of course.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
My partner is really starting to get into this game, and I’m looking for a couple of good characters to start a kind of light coop game. My theory is to try out some duchies in the HRE, but other suggestions would be appreciated.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

India is fun with how rich it is, and even has a couple of tribal starts now if you prefer that. As mentioned, Sub-Saharan Africa is a giant cluster of cultures and religions, which is fun both to play in or to start somewhere else and come in as an interloper (even if it doesn't have a struggle mechanic). Iberia has the Struggle, which I think is pretty interesting. The Levant is also fun when the Crusaders come calling, but otherwise is pretty homogenous and static.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

Generally India, but most recently I've obviously spent a lot of time in Iberia. Don't really mess around with tribals much anymore, I'm waiting for further non-Norse content/DLC.

India is, imo, the best feudal thunderdome region. Everywhere else with a lot of early war/expansion options is tribal, which is annoying if you don't want to be a viking.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I did notice that the AI seems much more reticent to declare war on me, even when I'm running with low troop counts that are all Varangian Veterans :v. I suppose one of the patches made the AI actually pay attention to war target's troop quality and not just their raw numbers.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

I did notice that the AI seems much more reticent to declare war on me, even when I'm running with low troop counts that are all Varangian Veterans :v. I suppose one of the patches made the AI actually pay attention to war target's troop quality and not just their raw numbers.

Anecdotally, I've felt like the AI is a lot better at opportunistic war declarations since the last patch. I love it, it's nice to actually have to care about alliances.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you hybridize a culture, how does it work out which skin color new courtiers of your culture have? I've trekked to sub-Saharan Africa as Haestein to try out whether the canoes and dragonboat techs stack. I've hybridized my culture with Malinke, but I noticed that all new courtiers/nobles are white. I think I set the settlement graphics, armor, names and dynasty shield to "Norse" when hybridizing, so that may be the reason why? Or is it solely dependent on the parent culture you're starting from? It's kind of creepy, how do I go about this to ensure my culture's characters aren't lily white?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if someone declares war on you for a specific title you should be able to declare counter-war goals so if you feel like you can win you might get something out of it. but you have to do it as soon as the declaration comes you can’t wait til you might be winning

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

indigi posted:

if someone declares war on you for a specific title you should be able to declare counter-war goals so if you feel like you can win you might get something out of it. but you have to do it as soon as the declaration comes you can’t wait til you might be winning

You do get something out of it, they pay reparations to you in the form of gold.

Looking at it now that's only for certain types of CB, but I think every single defensive war I've fought has either resulted in a gold or being able to imprison&revoke troublesome vassals.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Serephina posted:

You do get something out of it, they pay reparations to you in the form of gold.

Looking at it now that's only for certain types of CB, but I think every single defensive war I've fought has either resulted in a gold or being able to imprison&revoke troublesome vassals.

But then you're also stuck with a truce you might not want.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, the thing is, in CK3 truces are one-sided. You can quite literally wardec an enemy you beat the poo poo out of in a defensive war right after they surrender. It's honestly kind of weird as a system.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, the thing is, in CK3 truces are one-sided. You can quite literally wardec an enemy you beat the poo poo out of in a defensive war right after they surrender. It's honestly kind of weird as a system.

It's probably for that very reason mentioned above. As the civ thread keeps bringing up, if someone fucks with a human player, they really want revenge and the ability to punitively take territory away. (Then someone points out a modern day example of this and the topic is awkwardly dropped)

One-sided truces might not be realistic, but it makes for better gameplay which is far more important.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

SlothBear posted:

Yeah it’s a bit janky that the only ways to step down are to abdicate under stress or kill your self.

The new religion added to the Canary Islands includes a tenet which lets you commit suicide without any negative effects. So in that game as soon as my ruler hits 60 they’re out.

I do think they need to tweak health effects so everyone isn’t quite so long lived. But maybe that’s waiting for a Reaper’s Due disease overhaul.

But the real DLC I’m waiting on? Sunset invasion 2: Aztecs from SPACE.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Torrannor posted:

If you hybridize a culture, how does it work out which skin color new courtiers of your culture have? I've trekked to sub-Saharan Africa as Haestein to try out whether the canoes and dragonboat techs stack. I've hybridized my culture with Malinke, but I noticed that all new courtiers/nobles are white. I think I set the settlement graphics, armor, names and dynasty shield to "Norse" when hybridizing, so that may be the reason why? Or is it solely dependent on the parent culture you're starting from? It's kind of creepy, how do I go about this to ensure my culture's characters aren't lily white?

Culture doesn't affect skin colour. Your characters physical appearance is inherted from their parents genetics. Marry and have children with someone from the area and your children will be darker.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

It's probably for that very reason mentioned above. As the civ thread keeps bringing up, if someone fucks with a human player, they really want revenge and the ability to punitively take territory away. (Then someone points out a modern day example of this and the topic is awkwardly dropped)

One-sided truces might not be realistic, but it makes for better gameplay which is far more important.

Kinda curious which modern day example would actually silence a thread full of Civ nerds (the obvious and currently ongoing one doesn't fit the scenario)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dreissi posted:

My partner is really starting to get into this game, and I’m looking for a couple of good characters to start a kind of light coop game. My theory is to try out some duchies in the HRE, but other suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok make for a fun game from the 867 start. You get access to the Norse content, you can Varangian all over the world, and you are both giving Renown to the Sigurdr dynasty. So you can build an incredibly far flung and renowned dynasty without direct conflict between you, or you can stay in the same neck of the woods.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fader Movitz posted:

Culture doesn't affect skin colour. Your characters physical appearance is inherted from their parents genetics. Marry and have children with someone from the area and your children will be darker.

He's talking about new courtiers spun out of thin air by events and such. No idea where the game gets the genetics from, but I hope it's not the realm's ruler?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Kinda curious which modern day example would actually silence a thread full of Civ nerds (the obvious and currently ongoing one doesn't fit the scenario)

Spicy can of worms: If a state comes under attack by its neighbors, exactly how much turnabout is fair play before you get called a warmonger? (I'm really sorry if that's a terrible derail, can will delete if requested)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

He's talking about new courtiers spun out of thin air by events and such. No idea where the game gets the genetics from, but I hope it's not the realm's ruler?

I've always assumed it's the cultural heritage group that you pick when you hybridize, but that's mostly based on when I hybridized my Daju group with Berber (for that sick 20% diplomacy range boost from caravaneers) and made them Arabic culture group because I wanted to keep everything else from Daju they got lighter skinned.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

Interesting question. All I know is that when I found the Akano-Norse on the way to becoming the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles the mayor of Hramsa on the Isle of Mann often ends up looking more African then Norse. It might be where you have counties of that culture, I often make sure that I have at least two provinces of Akano-Norse in west Africa so I can get the canoes tech before I hybridize a second time. Having 50-66% of the culture's provinces in Africa may be adjusting the appearance of generated characters.

Edit: I don't think it's simply the culture group, because I stay North Germanic forming the Akano-Norse.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 30, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

Spicy can of worms

oh man you weren't kidding, I get why they all shut up now

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Serephina posted:

Ah, misunderstood the post. In my experience courtiers, or at least the invited knights are a mix of the rulers religion and culture with original appearance or the capital county's religion and culture. Can't say for sure how that's decided tho.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

oh man you weren't kidding, I get why they all shut up now

Shutting up was the best case scenario.

Thankfully there’s nothing so politically loaded going on in this game. :buddy:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serephina posted:

When a I grant a province to a "local Malinke-Norse" person, or search for a court physician/invite knights/search for character with special commander trait/etc., they are all white. Which, again, is kind of gross. I apparently fully replaced all local people with white Norse invaders. So I wonder where the game takes the "default genetics" for generated characters from.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Torrannor posted:

When a I grant a province to a "local Malinke-Norse" person, or search for a court physician/invite knights/search for character with special commander trait/etc., they are all white. Which, again, is kind of gross. I apparently fully replaced all local people with white Norse invaders. So I wonder where the game takes the "default genetics" for generated characters from.

Can you post a screenshot of your culture?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I THINK paradox explains the genetics of hybrid cultures in one of the dev diaries but you'd have to search for it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I think a dev diary explained that genetics would be hybridized along with culture, but it changed somewhere on the road to release. Generated characters are supposed to have an equal chance of having the genetics of either parent culture.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Dear Liberals,

If "genetics" explains how your children look, then why does my son look like this?

Checkmate.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Some real Me, Myself, and Irene vibes here.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Has anyone taken the “Consolidate the Canaries” decision? I started in Achinech in the Canaries and figured I’d work my way up to it, except I’ve run into a weird issue. You start with the new unreformed religion, Achamanism. In order to consolidate the Canaries you have to be feudal, so I’ve been working on reforming the religion. I finally get all the holy sites and enough piety that I’m able to reform. But once I do that the “Consolidate the Canaries” decision disappears.

I’m assuming this is a bug or something because I can’t figure out why the decision would suddenly be unavailable. It doesn’t mention anything about needing to be unreformed but it does require you to be feudal, which generally involves reforming, so I don’t get what the deal is. I waited a couple months in-game in case it was just a weird update issue, but that didn’t affect anything.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have tips for early game raids.

Im trying to unite Ireland and oftentime I get a viking raid right as my game starts which just kick my rear end every time because I have no way to build a military in time to fight them

(I suck at this game but I love it so forgive me if this is an obvious answer im missing)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

You could just let them raid you and leave. You don’t have to fight them if you’re underpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh okay, I thought they'd just keep comimg back until they take over.