Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the cheapest solution is to scare both neighbors on either side of you into installing one. Especially the neighbor with the tallest roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I think the cheapest solution is to scare both neighbors on either side of you into installing one. Especially the neighbor with the tallest roof

This. I would encourage your neighbors to install them. Make sure they aren't half assing it - getting the lightning safely into the ground without it just exploding off the side of the structure and still causing a fire is an art form.

I may eat these words but I grew up in Florida and now live in socal, lightning is a part of life. My neighbors (a mile away...) recently had a pole strike that obliterated the pole mounted transformer. No one has lightning arrest systems.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone ever dealt with a dead boundary tree on a fence? My neighbor has complained about branches from this newly-dead tree falling on his side of the fence. Frankly I'd like to get rid of it too. It's not in imminent danger of falling over, but it's dead as gently caress and I'd rather head off the problem ahead of time.

My neighbor is kind of a prick, so I'm guessing he would want us to pay for the whole thing even though part of the trunk is clearly on his side of the fence, plus the survey we got when we bought the place actually said the property line extends a foot or two past the fence. So definitely a boundary tree. (I'm almost certain his digging in his yard to put in a pool is probably what put the tree in a death spiral to begin with, but that was before our time.)

So it's a multi-layered thing here... how to cut down a tree that is just yards from my garden and his pool, what the gently caress to do about a tree that is basically PART of a fence (do we leave a big rear end stump?), and how to get him to agree to pay for part of it since it's a boundary tree. Obviously "talk to him about it" is the solution, but I'm trying to figure out how to finesse it so it doesn't become a pissy slap fight about property lines and money.

Fence tree update. Still haven't talked to the neighbor but had a tree guy come out today. It's a white oak and I guess there is an epidemic of old dead oaks in this area. Some combination of disease, pests, loving with the roots and climate. Evidently another tree in the middle of the yard probably only has a couple years left before it dies too.

Estimate to remove it was a whopping $3,200, and that would be without grinding the stump.

Going to get a couple more estimates. I had been thinking of just eating the cost to make things simpler, but for that much money getting a survey done for the purposes of proving it is a boundary tree to split cost with the neighbor becomes more attractive. Still holding out hope he'd pitch in anyway without having to fight over the boundary.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Chad Sexington posted:

Fence tree update. Still haven't talked to the neighbor but had a tree guy come out today. It's a white oak and I guess there is an epidemic of old dead oaks in this area. Some combination of disease, pests, loving with the roots and climate. Evidently another tree in the middle of the yard probably only has a couple years left before it dies too.

Estimate to remove it was a whopping $3,200, and that would be without grinding the stump.

Going to get a couple more estimates. I had been thinking of just eating the cost to make things simpler, but for that much money getting a survey done for the purposes of proving it is a boundary tree to split cost with the neighbor becomes more attractive.

Just curious but how tall is that tree?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Just curious but how tall is that tree?

I am awful at estimating size, but at least 60 feet I'd wager? Diameter at ground level is a good 5 feet, so it's a chonker.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

One issue on booking my dehumidifier up and running the house through the hole in the siding.

The dehumidifier only came with a 15 foot hose and a 5 foot long electrical cord. The closest outlet is another 8 feet away.

So two or three options I can see:

1) extension cord (currently pictured). Not sure the gauge but it’s 12 gauge I think which should be adequate..it’s like a 50’ cord though so I should probably get a smaller one if I want to do this.

2) longer 1/4” hose for the dehumidifier. I can buy a 25’ length and cut it to size. Only concern is if it will be too far for the dehumidifier to have the water travel. The manual says max lift is 16’ and it’s only going up about 8-9’.

3) get an outlet installed. Most expensive, maybe the best option. I’m just worried there’s some code against having an outlet so close to an oil tank. There’s a lightbulb that’s probably 5’ away from the tank right now, but it’s not an outlet.

The outlet is to the left of the furnace.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The lif is what matters for a water pump. You won't have any problems adding length to that hose to run further horizontally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I am awful at estimating size, but at least 60 feet I'd wager? Diameter at ground level is a good 5 feet, so it's a chonker.

See if you can find anyone who wants to harvest that white oak. Don't expect to actually make money on it, it'd be some small-time operator perhaps with a portable sawmill, but good clear white oak is worth like $5-$10 per board foot milled, so maybe a couple bucks per board foot as a whole log. A large tree may have 10k board feet of wood.

A real lumber outfit doesn't bother with one-offs, they harvest at scale, but there are some outfits interested in salvaging individual trees when the wood is valuable rather than see it get mulched, because this is sustainable/ethically harvested wood. At the very least, it'd be great if you can have your arborist/tree remover cut logs at least 4' long, and then find a local mill interested in taking them for free, rather than paying a tree remover a line-item to have them mulched.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a dehumidifier in the basement with a pump, not sure how it compares in size to yours, but my label says 7.8 Amps. I've got it on its own dedicated circuit (I don't remember if it's a 20 amp or 15 amp circuit...) because that was pretty easy for me to do. I've also got a 25' hose for mine (hint: it's refrigerator supply line), and I'm using all 25 feet. It goes about 7 feet up into the rafters, across the room to my laundry sink, and then down into the sink itself. And it's fine. Max lift is about lift, not horizontal distance. So lifting 8-9 feet and then going horizontal until you get out of the structure is fine. If you want to use an extension cord, 12 or even 14 gauge should be fine, but just looking at my local Menards, 25 feet is the shortest in either of those gauges, which is certainly better than nothing. Depending on the amperage of your actual unit you might even be fine with a 16 gauge, but I acknowledge the urge to be extra safe.

I'm not sure there's anything in the National Electrical Code about oil tanks specifically, but there might be some local codes. We don't have oil tanks in my area so it's not a concern (but I did have my code smart electrician point out that I'd installed an outlet too close to my gas meter). My guess is that area of the basement is lacking outlets in general, and in the future you'll probably want more ready access to power. Assuming your panel is in the basement, since everything is open and unfinished, it wouldn't be difficult to install a bunch of outlets in the basement. It wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to DIY if you felt comfortable, but even if not, it wouldn't be too difficult for an electrician to do, probably a day's job to fill that basement up with outlets on fresh new circuits (assuming the panel isn't full...).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

See if you can find anyone who wants to harvest that white oak. Don't expect to actually make money on it, it'd be some small-time operator perhaps with a portable sawmill, but good clear white oak is worth like $5-$10 per board foot milled, so maybe a couple bucks per board foot as a whole log. A large tree may have 10k board feet of wood.

A real lumber outfit doesn't bother with one-offs, they harvest at scale, but there are some outfits interested in salvaging individual trees when the wood is valuable rather than see it get mulched, because this is sustainable/ethically harvested wood. At the very least, it'd be great if you can have your arborist/tree remover cut logs at least 4' long, and then find a local mill interested in taking them for free, rather than paying a tree remover a line-item to have them mulched.

Yeah this guy mentioned they usually do that for oaks, but because of the limited width of our fences, they wouldn't be able to get the machines in that they'd need to haul out chunks of log that big.

They did knock down the estimate 10% when I pathetically asked if there was much cost savings in just removing the canopy and part of the trunk, but I think it was mostly because we were chatting about how my wife and I are having our first kid and how goddamn expensive children are and he felt bad lol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That is simultaneously nice of him, and also gives you at least some clue as to how much margin is built into his first quote.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

I was opening up my sprinklers and noticed this new hole under the foundation(?)/outer concrete wall in crawlspace, this seems like something I should be concerned about? Didn't appear to be leak related but possibly / probably from snowmelt over winter? The drain valve was completely closed so don't think it was from that leaking over winter and nothing was leaking after opening stuff up.

Talked to a geotechnical engineer, hes pretty sure its just settling from the water line which tracks with the ditch in the yard, along the waterline. Gonna fill it with gravel and call it a day.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

H110Hawk posted:

$10k+ one will be all of the above, and a lot of brand cost, but also probably have a bunch of random features you never knew you wanted, definitely don't need, but who really cares you're dropping $10k on a stove? This is the BMW fit-and-finish stuff. Never go on the test drive, when you get back in your honda civic you will be really sad.

I'd expect a $10k oven would be put together really well though, not have BMW fit and finish.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrLogan posted:

I'd expect a $10k oven would be put together really well though, not have BMW fit and finish.

It is well put together, the problem is all the electronics. :v:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Academician Nomad posted:

Fine but I maintain that you don't see this trend for other major appliances / home purchases,

Absolutely not true, ovens can go up to the 3-5k range if you want steam/top of the line features/A Bigger Oven, bathrooms are a whole other monster (spartan or all the fixings including towel warmer?), toilets can go from standard to 1-2k japanese luxury models that 3d image your rear end in a top hat to find the optimal bidet spray arc, you can spend so much drat money on every type of home purchase or appliance that I'm surprised the gas stoves are this big a deal to you. Just now I remembered those insta-boil/carbonating Quooker taps too.

Hell even furniture itself can easily go up to multiple thousands per single object for the good stuff. No clue where you got the idea that people selling appliances and other homeowner things aren't willing to gobble up all your cash

A 10k oven is a lot but if you really want a double oven with steam function you'll probably have to go with something like a Thermador which is at least 5k. For just that. Personally I use a regular oven with a separate sous videing setup which is far cheaper, but if I had infinite money...

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 29, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Having just purchased all new appliances three weeks ago I must lol, and lmao, at all these pre-2022 numbers being tossed around

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That is simultaneously nice of him, and also gives you at least some clue as to how much margin is built into his first quote.

Yeah exactly.

Ran into the neighbor and he said he'd "help me out" and was having his guy come over to look at the tree. The dude comes over and is not an arborist, only speaks Spanish and quotes higher than my other guy. Offers to knock $300 off the price if they don't haul away all the wood, which lol. Neighbor disappeared, but I'm going to try and corner him to find out if "helping me out" has dollar signs and isn't just referring me to an inferior tree guy before I tell him I have a better quote.

Suburb life is dumb.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Don't buy a house with a tree on the property line if you don't wanna deal with the bullshit. It sucks but it's the truth.

I just spent 5,000 on a Fence so I don't need to see my lazy rear end neighbors 3' grass. 'man my mower is on its last legs it just keeps stopping when I try to mow the grass'. (It's kuz he needs to get it all with a string trimmer at this point he can't figure out exactly how to string his at age 35+. I offered to help he hasn't stopped by.

Living near people sucks because people suck.

Edit oh I forgot to mention his roof will get replaced someday he's saving for it. I pick up 10-15 shingles every time there's a heavy wind. And one day when chatting he mentioned 'slight cosmetic damage' on his second floor ceiling. I'm sure his attic is a moldy hosed up mess.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just bought a $1,300 Toto toilet. Going to poop like a king while using 1/5th the water.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can run a full size dehumidifier and a 900w heater on the same circuit indefinitely, 7.8a sounds about right

You need about 8" of tube to go to an adapter which can be standard garden hose, or pvc pipe

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SpartanIvy posted:

I just bought a $1,300 Toto toilet. Going to poop like a king while using 1/5th the water.

Hadlock posted:

You can run a full size dehumidifier and a 900w heater on the same circuit indefinitely, 7.8a sounds about right

You need about 8" of tube to go to an adapter which can be standard garden hose, or pvc pipe

I am going to believe these two posts are about the exact same thing and there is nothing any of you can do to convince me otherwise :colbert:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Does it have a bidet? Cause if not, you're still peasant poopin :colbert:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Johnny Truant posted:

Does it have a bidet? Cause if not, you're still peasant poopin :colbert:

Buddy, I wouldn't even pay $13 for a toilet if it didn't have a bidet :colbert:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm so worried about having to go back into the office full time again and not have access to a bidet.

May have to make exclusive use of the handicap restroom and the sink if we go back.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I'm so worried about having to go back into the office full time again and not have access to a bidet.

May have to make exclusive use of the handicap restroom and the sink if we go back.

Idk how the gently caress they can charge $40 for these things but I'll be damned if they aren't perfect when hooked up to a water bottle. You could probably do just as well with a squeeze bottle with bidet nozzle, but I can attest to this thing. https://a.co/d/4oHHKPK

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

:hai:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone have lightning rod on their roof? A home in my area recently went up in a huge fire started by a lightning strike and all the neighbors are getting on the lightning rod train.

Statistically I know the risk of strikes is minimal, but the memory of 15 foot flames taking over the roof is hard to get out of my head.

For some reason I thought we were still talking about stoves, and I considered if I should have a lightning rod for my stove. I mean if lightning struck my stove somehow, it would probably explode I guess?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BonerGhost posted:

Idk how the gently caress they can charge $40 for these things but I'll be damned if they aren't perfect when hooked up to a water bottle. You could probably do just as well with a squeeze bottle with bidet nozzle, but I can attest to this thing. https://a.co/d/4oHHKPK

I'll have to look into them. I've considered these in the past but picture myself like that picture of how the public using the gas station bathroom attempting to use this thing.

I'm committed to no paper though except for drying so maybe worth a go.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

an iksar marauder posted:

Absolutely not true, ovens can go up to the 3-5k range if you want steam/top of the line features/A Bigger Oven, bathrooms are a whole other monster (spartan or all the fixings including towel warmer?), toilets can go from standard to 1-2k japanese luxury models that 3d image your rear end in a top hat to find the optimal bidet spray arc, you can spend so much drat money on every type of home purchase or appliance that I'm surprised the gas stoves are this big a deal to you. Just now I remembered those insta-boil/carbonating Quooker taps too.

Hell even furniture itself can easily go up to multiple thousands per single object for the good stuff. No clue where you got the idea that people selling appliances and other homeowner things aren't willing to gobble up all your cash

A 10k oven is a lot but if you really want a double oven with steam function you'll probably have to go with something like a Thermador which is at least 5k. For just that. Personally I use a regular oven with a separate sous videing setup which is far cheaper, but if I had infinite money...

The trend I meant wasn't "can get very expensive," obviously everything can get expensive. I meant "everyone along the price points seems happy with what they have rather than 'it's good for the price,' and also very few clearly marketed extra features of any kind at the higher end"

H110Hawk posted:

It's non-linear cost growth, and much of it is profit margin. A $500 apartment special with nearly no electronics (piezo starters, maybe some kind ofelectric thermostatic control in the oven) is going to boil water fine, but it will be cramped in the oven (somehow), plain white, and the burners will have technically peak BTU around the same as a $1400 one on a per-burner basis, but will only have 4 burners, and the flame pattern will be like 6 jets shooting most of the heat around the side of your pans, and the oven temperature will be pretty wide inside of a single cycle and require a thermometer to get accurate temperatures compared to what the dial says. Oven door is light, no window.

A $1400 one will include timers, a clock, convection, a electronic lock on the oven, 2 more burners or a griddle down the middle, 20 little jets shooting slightly less of the heat straight out the sides of your pans, and be in a variety of color schemes. The burners and grills will look a little nicer, be thicker in general, and have little removable covers on the burners to make cleaning easy. The oven will hold a more consistent temperature (more, shorter cycles of the oven, maybe even some amount of modulation.) Not cramped inside, more shelves, easier adjustments of those shelves. This is what most homeowners will buy if they can afford it. The lowest settings on the smallest burners risk flame out if you're using a range hood, which you should be. Especially if they aren't "hot" yet. Modulation of temperature will be fairly course but very functional. Window in the oven door, heavier (better insulated) oven door.

A $5000+ one will have like 100+ tiny little jets in several circles of upward shooting flames helping even more of your same btu's are applied to your pan more evenly, not leaving a cold spot in the center and extremely hot walls. The lowest simmer setting will not be at risk of flame-out and be shockingly low heat. Modulation of temperature is very finely controlled, controls in general "feel better" in your hand. You're getting into very fit-and-finish sort of things here. Lots of options - you could spend some of the money on dual fuel for example. You're into lexus territory now.

$10k+ one will be all of the above, and a lot of brand cost, but also probably have a bunch of random features you never knew you wanted, definitely don't need, but who really cares you're dropping $10k on a stove? This is the BMW fit-and-finish stuff. Never go on the test drive, when you get back in your honda civic you will be really sad.

If you can afford it and cook a lot, especially technically complicated food, or bake, the high end burners really are a lot nicer to use, and an electric oven is great - no humidity problems, it doesn't dump heat into your home constantly, and temperature range is on point because it's not just dumping heat into your house constantly. But most people will land on that $1000-1400 setup because it's where you get past the discount specials and into well functioning nice looking stuff.

This is helpful, thanks. I wish I could do the electric oven (or even induction), but alas.

SpartanIvy posted:

We love our BioBidet bidet toilet seat from CostCo, but also only because it's CostCo, because very 3-6 months the wand stops retracting all the way so we buy a new one and "return" it with the old one's main seat piece. As long as CostCo doesn't get mad at us, it's a good system! I wish they were functional overall though.

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 30, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

$1400 later and I'm about to have mostly lead free water in my house!

Sucks to have to spend this money, then roughly $2-400 a year in filters, only to have to turn around and spend several thousand more in a few years when the city replaces the lead service line, but oh well. At least my kid wont grow up with lead brain and become some sort of delinquent, at least not because of lead poisoning.

Question for the thread. My new house has 4 Mitsubishi mini split units. Whats maintenance supposed to look like on these? So far all I've seen are air filters that need cleaned out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My Mitsubishi installers also said I should clean off the outdoor unit every spring, to get leaves and other debris off of it. Compressed air to blow stuff off would be best, but if you don't have that, a hose to wash the junk off works as well.

I'm pretty blessed, there's very little tree junk that makes it to where my outdoor unit is, so I doubt I'll have to do much cleaning.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I would double check the drainage lines are draining as expected since that is the current issue I’m dealing with…

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It’s been brought up a bunch but I can’t find it…

Things to look for on window quotes? Planning on replacing 16 double hung windows with wood frames built in the late 80’s.

Main thing I remember is trying to ensure all quotes are using same material/etc, but that seems to be a crapshoot.

One guy quoted an estimate of $6500 using haverty windows (no other details given) and has been in business for 40 years and will come out to confirm measurements/etc.

The other two places want to do a sit down with me and my wife to explain everything which seems like a pain, but seems to be common for the window industry.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 30, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nwin posted:

It’s been brought up a bunch but I can’t find it…

Things to look for on window quotes? Planning on replacing 16 double hung windows with wood frames built in the late 80’s.

Main thing I remember is trying to ensure all quotes are using same material/etc, but that seems to be a crapshoot.

One guy quoted an estimate of $6500 and has been in business for 40 years and will come out to confirm measurements/etc.

The other two places want to do a sit down with me and my wife to explain everything which seems like a pain, but seems to be common for the window industry.

$6500 I would be genuinely worried about the lifespan and look of the windows. Those are probably the cheapest retrofit vinyl around. You will get quotes that are multiples (10 is a multiple...) of that if you want windows that look like what you currently have but are double pane, high quality, good warranty, you get the idea.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

H110Hawk posted:

$6500 I would be genuinely worried about the lifespan and look of the windows. Those are probably the cheapest retrofit vinyl around. You will get quotes that are multiples (10 is a multiple...) of that if you want windows that look like what you currently have but are double pane, high quality, good warranty, you get the idea.

Yeah, it seems too good to be true as we were expecting at least $10k, but he’s saying these are a 20-year warranty. Him and another company are coming out tomorrow for their official quotes.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
We were considering replacement of some of our wood windows that had some water damage and everyone kept pushing us towards these insert style replacements. Of course they say there will be "minimal glass area loss" since you are basically putting a frame inside the existing frame. Thankfully we managed to find a company that would do repairs even though the brand is discontinued. I'd say make sure you know what you're getting because that price seems too good to be true.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just got a bunch of quotes to replace a few windows with whatever the cheapest option is and the lowest quote was about $900 per window installed. YMMV.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

A few of the windows look like this and most are hard to close. Only been here a month so no idea how drafty they are

The manufacturer date appears to be 1988.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nwin posted:

They want to do their whole sales pitch song and dance and will be in your home for an annoyingly long time.

Just as another reference for you. My new house had 26 new double pane HE Pella windows installed last year and it cost the previous owners somewhere around $40k I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

nwin posted:

A few of the windows look like this and most are hard to close. Only been here a month so no idea how drafty they are

The manufacturer date appears to be 1988.

Oh man, that's exactly what happened with ours. I think the PO was not doing the proper maintenance. We had some back and forth with them during the inspection but they basically insisted that only the glass needed replacement for the weather seal. Turns out there was a lot more rot than they let on and our inspector only found the worst of it. I think we've had at least 5 windows that have needed at least some portion of the sash replaced. Caradco replacement parts are no longer made so we were lucky to find someone who had experience rebuilding these windows.

What does it look like underneath that spot? That's where we've found the rot that was missing from the inspection.

We are also trying to figure out replacement for the weatherstrip. Some of them are super drafty in the cold MI winters... These windows have been the worst surprise with our house so far.