Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Macaluso posted:

I don't have a rice cooker

Fix this asap

get one with a steamer basket as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Fix this asap

get one with a steamer basket as well

I don't really make rice

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Speaking of weird technological differences between countries, for the longest time I didn't know that electric dryers exist. I've seen them in the sims games for the first time and I was very confused, it's like a washing machine? but for drying clothes?? I later learned that people in the US actually use them and boy, was my mind blown

And to contribute to the kettle discussion, I think an eating culture has a big impact on the usefulness of the kettle. I only drink tea once a day with supper and I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen then, so a dedicated water boiling device which signals that it's done boiling is handy

macabresca fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 30, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Speaking of European Bullshit, I am not sure whether 'not knowing about reusable shopping bags' is a Drew thing or a US thing? I am not super surprised that they might not be in common use across the Atlantic, but I wasn't expecting to see them in a weird ads video.

E: I mean the ad is weird for me too, but only because these bags are $1 at literally any grocery store and there are So Many Design Variations so I can't imagine ordering them online.

It's not that it is a reusable bag, it is that it is a bag that can be packed down to such a small carrying case. Most people in the US when they have a reusable bag it is a big canvas thing.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Roach Warehouse posted:

Just read an article about this argument which claimed that electric kettles aren’t as common in the US because the voltage of your standard power point there makes them take longer.

Possibly plausible, possibly galaxy brained.

I honestly think the answer is much simpler: North Americans don't drink as much tea as the British. I can fully understand the efficiency of an electric kettle, but I very rarely find myself needing just boiling water on its own. If I'm boiling water it's because I'm cooking something, and if I'm cooking something I might as well just use the pot I'm already cooking the thing in to boil the water. It might add a few extra minutes onto the cook time but I'm not in such a great screaming rush that it would be a problem. About the only reason I can think of that someone would need to boil water on the regular that isn't used for cooking would be if you're a tea drinker, in which case: yeah get that electric kettle, but for a non-tea drinker like me it would just be a novelty taking up counter space.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It's not that it is a reusable bag, it is that it is a bag that can be packed down to such a small carrying case. Most people in the US when they have a reusable bag it is a big canvas thing.

Aha, I have one of those big canvas ones too but 4 small-pack nylon bags and they're all I see for sale over here. I don't really use the canvas bag when buying regular groceries since I prefer multiple smaller bags. Or I'm just not buying that much and one is plenty.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KingKalamari posted:

I honestly think the answer is much simpler: North Americans don't drink as much tea as the British.
The electric kettle thing is not a US vs UK thing, it's US vs Europe or probably even US vs most of RotW.
Just accept that this is another way that the US is garbage infrastructure wise, like making the choice to have toilets that clog.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Hel posted:

The electric kettle thing is not a US vs UK thing, it's US vs Europe or probably even US vs most of RotW.
Just accept that this is another way that the US is garbage infrastructure wise, like making the choice to have toilets that clog.

Nah, it's a North America vs Europe thing. I'm Canadian and I don't know anyone who owns an electric kettle...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-MBLePCvQ

Floofy cattos review a treat puzzle

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

macabresca posted:

Speaking of weird technological differences between countries, for the longest time I didn't know that electric dryers exist. I've seen them in the sims games for the first time and I was very confused, it's like a washing machine? but for drying clothes?? I later learned that people in the US actually use them and boy, was my mind blown

Its weird that you guys don't. What do you during the winter or when the weather is bad? Also that means laundry must take forever to do since you have to wait for things to air dry.

Everyone is also really overestimating how often people use kettles, electric or not, in North America. I have an electric kettle but I never use it since I don't drink coffee.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wealthy youtube boys go to space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sg6PLfe7I

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

She posted an account of abuse, but further things did come out after from Todd and his podcast collaborator that revealed the situation is a lot messier and involved a lot more interpersonal conflicts than Jourdain let on. I’m not in a position to say who was more in the right with all that in mind. It all sounds like incredibly toxic drama that shouldn’t be litigated over twitter and should be navigated privately with therapists but obviously that didn’t happen.

Yeah to be clear it was more about immediately taking a single person's account as Proof that someone is secretly a horrible human who must be shunned, and not like waiting to see if there was any corroboration from the people who had known and worked with Ellis. (Or thinking, "Hey, ya know, maybe if she were that awful it would've come up during that time when poo poo was coming out about various other terrible Channel Awesome people")

I'm just kind of frustrated at the human tendency to immediately act on info instead of waiting to see if the info is even valid. Most of the time if there's a problem beyond "someone was lovely once" or "personalities clashed" or even just "someone misread a situation because of their own issues," you'll see multiple other people emboldened to share their own accounts, and AFAIR that just... didn't happen.

From everything I've see so far it's just that Ellis can be kind of a jerk IRL sometimes, which probably describes most people in any situation.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its weird that you guys don't. What do you during the winter or when the weather is bad? Also that means laundry must take forever to do since you have to wait for things to air dry.

Nah, dryers are a thing in countries that aren't sunny all the time. However we just use regular fabric softener(if necessary due to hard water) in the laundry machine instead of whatever dryer sheets are. The really weird countries are the ones that don't have cloth mangles in the laundry room.

Hel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2022

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I have this (only larger) installed over the bathtub. During the winter you can also hang clothes on the heater if there are too many of them, though this dryer is usually enough. We don't do the laundry very often, once a day or even once every two days to save water.

My dad lives alone and he has a regular foldable dryer, he just puts in the room. The clothes dry during the day and in the evening they're already mostly ok, unless the material is particularly heavy or it's humid outside (though it rarely is).

The only time I think an electric dryer would be useful is when I need a particular thing washed and dried almost immediately but I don't recall ever being in a situation like that

macabresca fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 30, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hel posted:

Extreme tea/coffee addiction is not inherently a sign of good infrastructure.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Everyone is also really overestimating how often people use kettles, electric or not, in North America. I have an electric kettle but I never use it since I don't drink coffee.

Putting your washing machine on a spin cycle can speed things but, but you just sorta hang your clothes up on a drying rack indoors.

Old fashioned tenements sometimes have these really cool ones that are installed in the ceiling, and you have to lower them by rope.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As a European we always had a dryer but my mom refused to use it for clothes saying they would just get wrinkled and also that letting them hang to dry would make them smell better (and fresher if done outside). So she will only use it for towels basically. I guess hanging them up beats getting out the iron every washer cycle in terms of workload for her.

As a lazy student I learned to not Give A gently caress and use the dryer for everything!!!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

they mean that it saves you time but thanks for explaining how cooking works

My point being whether I start a pot boiling then start chopping vegetables or star chopping vegetables then start a kettle no "time" has been saved

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Online Creators + Reviewers V: Snyderchat V. Kettle.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah to be clear it was more about immediately taking a single person's account as Proof that someone is secretly a horrible human who must be shunned, and not like waiting to see if there was any corroboration from the people who had known and worked with Ellis. (Or thinking, "Hey, ya know, maybe if she were that awful it would've come up during that time when poo poo was coming out about various other terrible Channel Awesome people")

As a personal thing I usually lean towards trusting someone's personal account of abuse unless there is some major reason to believe they're an unreliable narrator. Jourdain wasn't saying Lindsay was being directly abusive, it was more focused on people in her friend circle freezing her out. The old tweets sounding authentic enough that they were getting traction did seem to prompt people who were previously not commenting to come forward. It was all stuff that really shouldn't have had to be in the public eye, but those follow up replies did paint a clearer picture that the whole thing was a gigantic mess that internet randos shouldn't be involved in.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
hopefully some day some intrepid youtuber will manage to make a video explaining why north americans might not see the day to day usability of an electric kettle. a simple explanation as to why we might not want to devote counter space to one.

alas, until such a video is posted, we'll need to rehash this exact argument every 2 weeks

seriously, just watch the video its strictly correct

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Electric kettles, much like air fryers and rice cookers, are extremely useful if you have a use for them

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Electric kettles, much like air fryers and rice cookers, are extremely useful if you have a use for them

:eek: :stare: :staredog:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

rice cookers maybe, and electric kettles even have more than one use, but "air fryers"?

ha ha what, why would you fry air, you can't eat air, silly

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Except that he's wrong and americans do consume lots of tea, according to the Tea association of the USA 50 % of americans drink tea daily with 80 % doing it occasionally. They are also the 3rd largest importer of it. And even if the majority of it is iced, you still need to brew it unless you want to risk bacteria growth by making sun tea.

Also lol at airfryers , very much not in the same category as kettles and rice cookers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Libluini posted:

rice cookers maybe, and electric kettles even have more than one use, but "air fryers"?

ha ha what, why would you fry air, you can't eat air, silly

Snakes can taste air so think about that before you speak next time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hel posted:

Except that he's wrong and americans do consume lots of tea, according to the Tea association of the USA 50 % of americans drink tea daily with 80 % doing it occasionally. They are also the 3rd largest importer of it. And even if the majority of it is iced, you still need to brew it unless you want to risk bacteria growth by making sun tea.

Also lol at airfryers , very much not in the same category as kettles and rice cookers.

lol American's drink Arizona tea not the swill british drink

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Today I learn the metal coil electric stoves of the Midwest I'm used to are not the norm people are comparing to for these boiling water conversations.

Hel posted:

The overwhelming majority of US tea consumption is cold tea.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The only tea I consume is spilled tea and you better believe it's hot, it's that hot goss, all the tea I need

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

And this is on top of the US being 35th overall for tea consumption per capita. So not only are they consuming less tea than a lot of other countries, the majority of the tea they're consuming is iced or sweet tea, a lot of which I'm assuming is prepackaged, because I've only known one person who brewed their own iced tea.

Now, there are several prominent nations in Europe that consume less tea per capita than the US (Spain and France being two of the major ones) but if electric kettles are commonplace in those nations as well (I can't find any data on how common electric kettles are in France) I think it could be explained by their proximity to other tea drinking hotspots. The kitchen culture of a nation is going to be influenced by its neighbors .

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yes I know, which is why I already mentioned it in my post.
But unless you want to argue it's corn syrup or something it's still tea. So the lack of kettles can't be from lack of tea drinking. Different tea drinks / culture yes, but not as a general absence.

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 30, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anybody who has a drip coffee machine in their house has an electric kettle, it just happens to be a relatively small one attached to a a larger piece of kit that makes coffee.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

KingKalamari posted:

Nah, it's a North America vs Europe thing. I'm Canadian and I don't know anyone who owns an electric kettle...

I'm a Canadian and I've never been in a kitchen that doesn't have one. All but one of the hotels I've been in had one as well, even though it seems crazy to me to have both a kettle and coffee maker, and they all had coffee makers.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Hel posted:

Yes I know, which is why I already mentioned it in my post.
But unless you want to argue it's corn syrup or something it's still tea. So the lack of kettles can't be from lack of tea drinking. Different tea drinks / culture yes, but not as a general absence.

I feel like we're getting into semantic hair-splitting here. Like, yes, I will give you that Americans do still consume tea in the form of iced and sweet tea, but I feel like when someone says "Americans don't typically own electric kettles because they don't drink as much tea" there's kind of the unspoken implication that we're talking about hot/brewed tea...Y'know, the kind you'd use an electric kettle to make?

Spek posted:

I'm a Canadian and I've never been in a kitchen that doesn't have one. All but one of the hotels I've been in had one as well, even though it seems crazy to me to have both a kettle and coffee maker, and they all had coffee makers.

Huh, that's weird. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like we're getting into semantic hair-splitting here. Like, yes, I will give you that Americans do still consume tea in the form of iced and sweet tea, but I feel like when someone says "Americans don't typically own electric kettles because they don't drink as much tea" there's kind of the unspoken implication that we're talking about hot/brewed tea...Y'know, the kind you'd use an electric kettle to make?

Huh, that's weird. Maybe it's a regional thing?

A lot of iced tea is just regular hot brewed tea with some extra steps, so it's literally just the same thing. And even cold brew is literally the same ingredients as the base. Even the "fake" stuff that uses tea extract is still has boiled tea leaves, because that's how tea extract is made. If it was roiboos or other herbal tea sure I could understand the distinction(even if it's pretty tea nerdy and hairsplitting as well), but this is still just regular tea drinking, just with different ceremonies. This isn't even like RotW making fun of american cheese products, it's the same stuff with the same name, how is it not tea drinking? It's not like cold teas are rare in other countries either and it's still called and counted as tea there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

edit: nevermind

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 30, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Americans don't brew their tea themselves though. They get it in a can or bottle and then just pour it into a glass or drink straight from the container.

Are frozen or canned meals not food ? Is going out to restaurants not eating? Is a lunchbox? a doggy bag? Where do you draw the line?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I thought the argument was if Americans have kettles in their houses, not if they have tea in their house at all

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It doesn't require a kettle or any form of boiled water which is what this conversation was about. The guy in the video you said was wrong was specifically talking about the cultural nature of putting on a kettle of tea for guests or as a communal thing.

Neither the statements "America does not drink as much tea as the UK" nor "America does not have a cultural habit of turning on a kettle for everyone to have tea" are wrong. The only two statements given in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Macaluso posted:

I thought the argument was if Americans have kettles in their houses, not if they have tea in their house at all

We already know americans don't have kettles that has never been disputed, the argument is because someone claimed that the reason they don't have kettles is because they don't drink tea, which can't be right because they do drink lots of tea. So now people are trying to claim that americans are so bad at drinking , that it doesn't count as tea anymore. Despite not being much different than how other countries do it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It doesn't require a kettle or any form of boiled water which is what this conversation was about. The guy in the video you said was wrong was specifically talking about the cultural nature of putting on a kettle of tea for guests or as a communal thing.

Neither the statements "America does not drink as much tea as the UK" nor "America does not have a cultural habit of turning on a kettle for everyone to have tea" are wrong. The only two statements given in the video.

Must have been watching some other video then :

80% drinking regularly and 50 % daily is not what I'd call not all that much.
Compare to Sweden which had 25% daily drinkers at the latest numbers I could find and has kettles in pretty much every household.

Hel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 30, 2022