Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yes, but they might not be any good. I used to buy tubes with a filter and a little crank machine with nice, bulk cigarette tobacco. That was fun if unwieldy to support a 1.5PAD habit.

A lot of pipe tobacco has flavorings and additives that might be extra not good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

NotNut posted:

Can you roll cigarettes with pipe tobacco?

I’m sure it works OK with a few blends out there, but for the most part, no, not a very satisfying experience.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
On the other hand, you can smoke cigarette tobacco in your pipe. It burns hot, but tastes better than when it's wrapped in paper.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

There's also a fair number of "pipe tobacco" brands that are intended for rolling your own cigarettes, but sold as pipe tobacco for tax reasons. Like has been said you can smoke them in a pipe anyways, and they aren't bad, just a bit one note and boring compared to "actual" pipe tobacco.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My mail never came today, so my Tsuge Kulu should be here tomorrow, despite making it to the post office yesterday :negative:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

lol at some point between my walk and the tornado the mailman came! Gonna break it in with Ennerdale soon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yooooooo this owns. It’s exactly what I wanted.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

More in depth information on the Tsuge Kulu 9mm filter replacement:

This is not a miracle accessory, and I have tongue bite like a motherfucker right now, which has much to do with how I had been smoking before this arrived.

This has fit great in 3 of my pipes, and there's only one I think it might *not* fit into, but it's kinda short. Poking through the reviews, it's recommended to clean it up between smokes. I've been putting it in a quick vodka bath and hitting it with a bottle brush between bowls, which is probably overkill but I would rather dial back than crank up :v:

This is a substantially cooled down smoking experience compared to unfiltered. I really like the look of nosewarmers more than I do longer pipes, so that's very nice. I'm considering measuring the total added length to the smoke's travel distance out of curiosity.

It's been great discovering how much of the flavor I've been missing on some of these smokes, and I've a few tobaccos I want to come back around to. I really enjoyd Stonehenge Flake - it's like a spiced orange dreamsicle. Ennerdale was my first go with this thing, and it was a great delight. A lot of the darker, spicier flavors are really showing through now which I suppose were getting caught up in my filters.

I'm having some after-lunch Royal Yacht right now, and this is just *stupendous.* Sweet, chewy, peppery, and a nice nicotine fizz about my entire mouth.

I'll be getting in with some English and Balkan blends tonight - I think that's going to be a real treat!

It's not magic, though - I do get some occasional dottle, but it gathers at the mouthward side of the filter, so it's a much shorter trip for the pipe cleaner to tidy that up. It DOES, however, fix my most hated part of unfiltered smoking: getting snacks on those opening toots. I hate getting tobacco flakes in my mouth.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Thanks for the review! I only smoke my pipes unfiltered, so it's cool to see someone else's experience.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Absolutely! I’m very excited to go back through everything I have on hand. Plum Pudding was such a delight with this setup.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you love filters that much, I'm gonna shout out either getting a Brigham or a radiator pipe eventually. Brigham pipes use a neat little proprietary wooden filter that's relatively reusable, and radiator pipes (like a Falcon or Wiebe) give many of the same benefits of a filter, except permanently built into the pipe. Love how I can just unscrew the bowl on my Wiebe, take off the mouthpiece, and just rinse the whole thing out under the tap (aside from the bowl).

Falcons I'm a sucker for, and you can import them from GQ Tobaccos in the UK for an incredibly affordable price. Just got this beautiful looking limited edition one (and a few bowls) after previously talking about them in this thread.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I deleted an entire sentence about how excited I am to try a Falcon! Inshallah we’ll be recovered from wedding soon enough to justify new pipes. I even had a Brigham bookmarked, I’m real curious about that rock maple insert…

That yellow one is GLORIOUS

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

There's also a fair number of "pipe tobacco" brands that are intended for rolling your own cigarettes, but sold as pipe tobacco for tax reasons. Like has been said you can smoke them in a pipe anyways, and they aren't bad, just a bit one note and boring compared to "actual" pipe tobacco.

What brands are those? I tried out Gambler's tobacco for rolling my own cigarettes but it seems to go out more easily than regular cigarette tobacco.

NotNut fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 23, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I used this for a grip with a little machine that injected tobacco into filtered tubes:

https://4noggins.com/products/peter-stokkebye-norwegian-shag-150g

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
What the hell happened to the price of Cuban cigars? It seems they standardized the prices to the most expensive place they sell them and in the process re-evaluated which were their "premium" cigars. Ireland was already a massively expensive place to buy cigars, so I have a few machine rolled Spanish things in a lunch box sized tupperware, but I also have two Trinidad Reyes. They cost about €17 when they were bought but now they're going for almost €30 in the one store in Ireland that carries them after Havana (correctly) decided Trinidad was one of the best marques they carried.

Worse again is that a lot of the German shops have stopped selling tobacco by mail order outside of Germany, which was your main chance at importing something cheap and it actually getting to you. I was already off cigars due to the price but this means I won't be able to get decent pipe tobacco when I run out.

The whole thing is absolutely hosed.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NotNut posted:

What brands are those? I tried out Gambler's tobacco for rolling my own cigarettes but it seems to go out more easily than regular cigarette tobacco.

Daughters & Ryan is the main one I think, but really anything shag cut and either virginia or burley that's sold in by the pound in a big plastic bag is probably "pipe tobacco" rather than pipe tobacco.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah Habanos SA realigned all their prices and IT loving sucks. Since we’ve been ordering Yerandy custom rolls on the discord, I haven’t missed banded Cubans at all. He does some pretty impressive stuff. I think we have another Eirlien on the discord you might be able to split orders with >_>

Perfect Cigar Blend has a pretty insane promo running this weekend. I think I’ve converted quite a few folks to L’Atelier the last 3 months, and this is a banger deal especially with the 20% off discount code HV6CSW3E

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Holy poo poo COH prices have doubled since I last bought in 2018. I have like 80 cigars left thankfully since I barely even smoke anymore
so I guess I have enough for years. :clint:

Too many pipes and tabak too. :chord:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I gushed in the discord about it, but holy poo poo the Tatuaje Avion Tuxtla is drat near perfect. Grab some if you see em.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah Habanos SA realigned all their prices and IT loving sucks. Since we’ve been ordering Yerandy custom rolls on the discord, I haven’t missed banded Cubans at all. He does some pretty impressive stuff. I think we have another Eirlien on the discord you might be able to split orders with >_>

Perfect Cigar Blend has a pretty insane promo running this weekend. I think I’ve converted quite a few folks to L’Atelier the last 3 months, and this is a banger deal especially with the 20% off discount code HV6CSW3E

Can you pass along the discord info? Thanks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

E: gonna pm
EE: Ishamael do you have PMs?

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 25, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My goon is on the forums for 18 years without plat, it's almost impressive.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Send it to too tia

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Send it to too tia

Sent

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Kenning posted:

My goon is on the forums for 18 years without plat, it's almost impressive.

I loved sending lowtax money so much and yet i never paid him more, its my one regret

:smith:

I'll just imagine the discord info

EDIT: a shameful return to the cigar thread after 7 years

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 27, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ishamael posted:

I loved sending lowtax money so much and yet i never paid him more, its my one regret

:smith:

I'll just imagine the discord info

EDIT: a shameful return to the cigar thread after 7 years

I'm just teasing my dude, I'll just make a short-term link and update it until you join: https://discord.gg/vJprkvCx

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Hey, look at that! Ishamael!

I didn't get plat until a few years ago, and even then it was a gift card someone else sent me so :shrug:

My wife and I leave Saturday for a 7 day cruise that has been rescheduled... Five times? Since the initial booking. We were supposed to go for her birthday in 2019 when the cruise was cancelled less than a week out due to mechanical issues with the ship. They gave us a credit worth a bit more than we had initially spent, and an onboard credit to spend on drinks packages and excursions. We rebooked, and it was cancelled due to Covid. Then again. Then a third time. But hey, they increased our credits each time!

So, assuming we both pass our Covid tests on Wednesday, we'll be celebrating the third anniversary of my wife's 30th birthday!

Thread related because I'm taking a few cigars to smoke on the ship, and I'm planning to hit the LCdH in Cozumel, as well as score some more Cuban rum. Cross your fingers for me, Goons!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Kenning posted:

I'm just teasing my dude, I'll just make a short-term link and update it until you join: https://discord.gg/vJprkvCx

Thanks man! It says it is expired, but that's on me because I didn't check the forums for a while because I am old.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ishamael posted:

Thanks man! It says it is expired, but that's on me because I didn't check the forums for a while because I am old.

New link! https://discord.gg/j7WMga24

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

That did the trick, thanks man!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ishamael posted:

That did the trick, thanks man!

Just replying to wave “Hi!” to Ishamael from the cheap seats…nice to see you back!

Now if we could just get Lemur to post about how bad Fuentes are…:argh:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

Just replying to wave “Hi!” to Ishamael from the cheap seats…nice to see you back!

Now if we could just get Lemur to post about how bad Fuentes are…:argh:

Thanks man! Lemur is out there somewhere, maybe if we summon him he will reappear too.

Flyinglemur!

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ishamael posted:

Thanks man! Lemur is out there somewhere, maybe if we summon him he will reappear too.

Flyinglemur!

No no no.

Hey I had an Arturo Feunte that had no burn issues or tar balling. These must be great cigars, you guys should tell me more about them.

That should work better.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s a good thing NC cigars got good because there are a lot more bad Fuentes than good ones at the price point I’m smoking at.

Bone Crusher toro from the Tatuaje Black sampler tonight:

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Can you remake the link, please?
Make it not expire, I don't check the forums enough.

Edit: got a link!

Valar Morghulis fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 8, 2022

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
allo old friends

it's been... i dunno... eight months since I smoked a cigar. wife's out of town so I am dipping deep into the humidor for a 2012 H. Uppmann epicure #1

delightful!

I hope you are all well.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Finally smoking my Ennerdale sample. I like it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah! I’m running low on mine, I gotta get more.

I spotted some aged out of production L’Atelier sticks - El Suelo and Trocadero. They’re bundle sticks and at $60-70/20 I had to try it. They’ll be in Monday but I won’t get to smoke them until Thursday since I’m traveling for work :negative:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's been over 115 every day for weeks, so not a lot of smoking. However, it should cool down to 108 or so in the next couple of weeks, and I'm nearly done building my tiki bar, so I'll have to break into my stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's been over 115 every day for weeks, so not a lot of smoking. However, it should cool down to 108 or so in the next couple of weeks, and I'm nearly done building my tiki bar, so I'll have to break into my stash.

Mr. Wiggles, I demand pictures of said Tiki Bar, when it's complete.

Also, check out Smuggler's Cove if you haven't, great Tiki Book.

I also haven't gotten a smoke in in a while. It's hot in the swamp, y'all.