Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

no they fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Hubbert posted:

millions of years from now ....

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
This "Tap the Mississippi" thing is catching on. For the low low price of 50 billion dollars we can construct an aqueduct to give Phoenix Arizona golf courses a few more billion gallons of water a year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This "Tap the Mississippi" thing is catching on. For the low low price of 50 billion dollars we can construct an aqueduct to give Phoenix Arizona golf courses a few more billion gallons of water a year.

That "low, low price" is going to jump 10x.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

so it’s theoretically possible but not done in actually existing plants?

France burns nuclear waste as fuel. It's old technology at this point.

Currently coal is the largest contributor to radiation in the environment from energy production. Germany is closing their nuclear facilities to keep rolling coal. You won anti-nuclear, take a victory lap and really enjoy this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

that's that

https://twitter.com/wsfa12news/status/1542509416800366592

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

just gonna build a big old pipe for my power plant's waste to right over the fence line

one weird trick to save on trash bills

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

yeah it owns any hope that I foolishly held for the future

love it when angry 80 year olds decide that it's cool and good that I'll live out the last years of my life, my late 40's, in a hypercane ridden hellscape

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Oglethorpe posted:

just gonna build a big old pipe for my power plant's waste to right over the fence line

one weird trick to save on trash bills

Literally what coal tailing ponds are all over the world right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the epa was broken anyway, the question with this ruling was how deep it would cut all other regulatory powers

don’t drink the water, don’t you breathe the air

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

accelerationists rejoice

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://i.imgur.com/8iUcSjG.mp4

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Raine posted:

accelerationists rejoice

Doomers stay winning

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

hm. really? that doesn't seem right, pretty sure I voted blue

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

need to update this with an F350 extended supercab that's rolling coal

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

were the regulations that saved the ozone layer done by congress or the EPA?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TeenageArchipelago posted:

were the regulations that saved the ozone layer done by congress or the EPA?

international treaty
By 1987, just two years after the hole was discovered, an international treaty was in place that cut the use of CFCs in half. Three years later in 1990, the Montreal Protocol was strengthened to ban the use of CFCs altogether in industrialised countries by the year 2000 and by the year 2010 in developing countries.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:rubby:

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0q0O4V5Qs

I wanna see this world, I wanna see it boil
I wanna see this world, I wanna see it boil
It's only 4 degrees, it's only 4 degrees
It's only 4 degrees, it's only 4 degrees

I wanna hear the dogs crying for water
I wanna see the fish go belly-up in the sea
And all those lemurs and all those tiny creatures
I wanna see them burn, it's only 4 degrees

And all those rhinos and all those big mammals
I wanna see them lying, crying in the fields
I want to see them, I want to see them burn

:killing:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
serious q was the EPA meaningfully doing anything before now other than charging tiny fines to companies that permanently destroy lakes or w/e

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Real hurthling! posted:

international treaty
By 1987, just two years after the hole was discovered, an international treaty was in place that cut the use of CFCs in half. Three years later in 1990, the Montreal Protocol was strengthened to ban the use of CFCs altogether in industrialised countries by the year 2000 and by the year 2010 in developing countries.
From Facing the Anthropocene

quote:

Ozone loss seems to have peaked in the Antarctic in 2006, and in the Arctic in 2011. The ozone layer will not recover until all CFCs are gone, a process that is likely to take most of the twenty-first century to complete. It has been estimated that by 2000, ozone depletion had caused well over a million cases of skin cancer and between ten and twenty thousand early deaths. Many thousands more will die before ultraviolet radiation returns to pre-CFC levels….

Even with the chemistry as it was commercialized, it was far from inevitable that the disaster threatened by CFCs would be identified and stopped in time. If Joseph Farman had not continued measuring Antarctic ozone despite the absence of practical applications, if James Lovelock had not spent most of a year measuring CFC levels in order to prove a point about atmospheric circulation, if Sherwood Rowland had assigned a different project to his new research assistant—these and many other contingencies could have led to a very different outcome.

After reviewing the history of CFCs and the ozone layer, Paul Crutzen commented, “I can only conclude that mankind has been extremely lucky.”

That’s true—but “luck” in this case depended on capitalist profit. DuPont supported an international ban only because CFC profits were in steep decline and more profitable alternatives were nearly ready.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hubbert posted:

millions of years from now ....

evolutionary perfection

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
you thought the next election might be the most important of your life? let's go ahead and confirm, most important election of your life is coming up. vote.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

TeenageArchipelago posted:

yeah it owns any hope that I foolishly held for the future

love it when angry 80 year olds decide that it's cool and good that I'll live out the last years of my life, my late 40's, in a hypercane ridden hellscape

I didn’t know what a hypercane was and welp https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercane

:rubby:

Hurricanes so strong they gonna wake up Cthulhu :cthulhu:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
We are probably going to see a hurricane so big it hardly moves while straddling a landmass continually drawing power from two different areas of ocean

Hopefully the first one parks over florida for a week or two

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Jun 30, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Hard to see something that scours the landscape clean of human activity

E; Cthulhu Fhtagn! Ia! Ia!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol this sucks !!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oxxidation posted:

the epa was broken anyway, the question with this ruling was how deep it would cut all other regulatory powers

don’t drink the water, don’t you breathe the air

fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly

but they don't last long if they try

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

it rules that the scotus specifically bans regulation that would have an impact on capital, because it would have an impact on capital

can't wait for the next session when they remove all ambiguity in this decision and explicitly strip the SEC of its ability to require even milquetoast ESG reporting

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Car companies that aren't tesla have to meet a mpg rating average for all vehicles sold. For every V8 truck they have to sell x number of fuel economic or electric vehicles. It doesn't help the environment, it just tells them what to produce in what numbers.

Yes and thanks to Tesla gaming the credits system they can just buy credits from Tesla and they don’t have to make as many fuel efficient cars.

Owners of Tesla cars, even if they cause environmental good, don’t get to claim that good because Tesla retains it, commodified it, and then sells it.

It’s like if you had a life preserver but the company that sold you the life preserver takes the credit for any future lives saved, then sold those credits to someone who wants to do some murdering.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/richard_normal/status/1542511413951770625?t=HvfJla34YPAgPiVgbWFpyw&s=19

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
of note ought to be, that the whole hypercane model depends on a several critical factors, unknown and currently being actively speculated about, turning out to be the worst possible solution to carnot heat engine, in the sense that we might be able to create storm systems, that become self-sustaining if the temperature maximum in the tropical zones reaches +50 for multiple months without a break. but that situation might as likely result in "normal" cyclone centers being produced one after another every other day in a friendly storm factory. so i guess the bottom line is that we're gonna be seeing some interesting weather

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ughhhh posted:

When will we have enough microplastics that they turn into macroplastics that I can mine to make my hovel?

hey, it's called plasteel and it's valuable, so don't be using it for your hovel walls

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

drat it's wild how quickly everything is getting so much worse, hahaha

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

drat it's wild how quickly everything is getting so much worse, hahaha

the golden rule: faster and harder than previous predictions

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Car Hater posted: