Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol wait ok so I'm a dumbass when it comes to lawyering but if they agree that the state can pass unconstitutional law how does that square with the scrotus being able to do judicial review

Simple: GOP state and federal laws must be upheld while Democratic laws must be overturned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

all this does is empower the "you should have all voted for killary because she would have appointed SC judges instead of trump and then all of this wouldn't have happened" liberals

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah but like why

couldn't the state court just say lol gently caress you scrotus we do what we want

sure, i guess, but that wouldn't do anything, and then the state will run the elections as the legislature wants while ignoring the state courts

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ShutteredIn posted:

Hahaha SCOTUS is just straight up telling everyone the end date of whatever is left of democracy in this country and nobody will do anything about it

there's no need to be so cynical, the leaked Roe decision enabled the Democrats to use the time leading up to the case to put together a comprehensive strategy to address the changes coming from the court

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Long Salmon

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah but like why

couldn't the state legislature just say lol gently caress you scrotus we do what we want

That's their goal, yes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Like you're getting at the issue of "why does anyone listen to the supreme court when it overrules common sense," and we know the answer to that is that not doing that the supreme court says would undermine the public's faith in the legitimacy of the supreme court

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

we just need to get a case challenging judicial review up to scotus and then the originalists, finding no constitutional basis for judicial review, will be forced to (figuratively) hara kiri themselves — or else they’d be hypocrites!!

bing

bong

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Like you're getting at the issue of "why does anyone listen to the supreme court when it overrules common sense," and we know the answer to that is that not doing that the supreme court says would undermine the public's faith in the legitimacy of the supreme court

Human lives are short and cheap but our institutions are sacred and eternal

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

a_pineapple posted:

* abolishes the EPA *
~ 5 years later ~
"Man this salmon tastes like poo poo and it was $150/lb BIDENNNN"

I wouldn’t say the EPA will make things better but the world is going to end even faster now.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Shear Modulus posted:

I know I'm commiebrained but like does anyone actually think the supreme court is legitimate other than when it does something that a person agrees with

like say hypothetically the Dobbs decision was that abortion was a constitutional right and the states have no ability to regulate abortion then like all the chuds would be yelling about the courts illegitimacy rather than the libcucks

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

we just need to get a case challenging judicial review up to scotus and then the originalists, finding no constitutional basis for judicial review, will be forced to (figuratively) hara kiri themselves — or else they’d be hypocrites!!

bing

bong

1 simple trick, Scalia hates this!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol I just remembered the time I was listening to an NPR interview with Scalia about torture and he brought up the show 24

e: I also just remembered when Scalia said "jiggerypockery" in a decision and NPR creamed their jeans about it for a week lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh no, the supreme court would still have power over state legislatures because they claim that when they say something it has the force of the constitution, which trumps all other law at all levels.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

oh no, the supreme court would still have power over state legislatures because they claim that when they say something it has the force of the constitution, which trumps all other law at all levels.

yeah if the supreme court doesn't have power over something they can just decide they do, kinda like when congress wants to ignore a rule and they hold a meeting and decide they can do it anyway

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

e: I also just remembered when Scalia said "jiggerypockery" in a decision and NPR creamed their jeans about it for a week lol

whether one loved him or hated him one has to admit scalia was quite the card ho ho ho

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Supreme Court doesn't feel like dictating foreign policy yet. That's for after the administrative state is abolished

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know I'm commiebrained but like does anyone actually think the supreme court is legitimate other than when it does something that a person agrees with

like say hypothetically the Dobbs decision was that abortion was a constitutional right and the states have no ability to regulate abortion then like all the chuds would be yelling about the courts illegitimacy rather than the libcucks

The thing here is one side does stuff with power and the other side doesn't

You're tripping yourself up by thinking "does anyone think SCOTUS is legit" (no) or "could [x Dem person/state] refuse to listen" (they could try if they had spines, which they don't), which is complete overthinking of the fact that the actual normal people who will be most hurt by this have no power or say at all, and the representatives they've misguidedly elected to fight for them simply don't care and will not fight this

The president had to be bullied into saying he'd consider a hypothetical adjustment to the filibuster for abortion protection and still conned the Internet by only saying it after the fact hours past another different dying Dem in power being hospitalized, freeing up his vote and making it even harder to achieve this even if it was something he really wanted to do in the first place

None of that gets into what they'd do if it actually got fought and wound up coming back to them for the inevitable denial of it again. It won't get that far. Because nobody who wants to do anything about it, and can, feels like it's worth trying

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

whether one loved him or hated him one has to admit scalia was quite the card ho ho ho

He died on my birthday and I think it might have been the last time I was genuinely happy with life

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Jim Crow's back, but also in the midwest

Indiana politicians are so excited right now

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

Indiana politicians are so excited right now

The flyover state equivalent of all those chuds who are sad they were born too late to go live in Rhodesia.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

the Supreme Court doesn't feel like dictating foreign policy yet. That's for after the administrative state is abolished

Note that this ‘victory’ is just a remand to the original judge with a ‘use this part of the APA instead’ instruction

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this is a state scotus but read this for a preview of red states with a dem gov near you

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1542428147571892225

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol wait ok so I'm a dumbass when it comes to lawyering but if they agree that the state can pass unconstitutional law how does that square with the scrotus being able to do judicial review

it will authorize blue states with gerrymandered red legislatures to make up their own presidential electors with no oversight.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

spacemang_spliff posted:

Idiocracy Shadowrun was a documentary

Shadowrun at least had magic and trolls and poo poo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., writing for the majority, said Congress had not clearly given the agency sweeping authority to regulate the energy industry.

“Capping carbon dioxide emissions at a level that will force a nationwide transition away from the use of coal to generate electricity may be a sensible ‘solution to the crisis of the day,’ ” he wrote, quoting an earlier decision.

"crisis of the day" lmfao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

It seems like liberals think it's legitimate no matter what, but that's it.

In that hypothetical yeah the republicans would be pissed but the official legalese argument is never that the court hosed up because the outcome is bad, it's that the court hosed up because they made a mistake in interpreting the constitution. it's like saying that the ruling is illegitimate because it wouldn't pass peer review.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the liberals i guess say that the court can't issue illegitimate rulings because whatever the supreme court says is correct because the supreme court said it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cloks posted:

there's no need to be so cynical, the leaked Roe decision enabled the Democrats to use the time leading up to the case to put together a comprehensive fundraising strategy to address the changes coming from the court

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1451228049480065030

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

it’s hilarious that scotus will say state supreme courts can’t review state election matters because it’s not written down somewhere but they are allowed to review whatever they want despite that not being written down anywhere 😂😂🤡🤡🌅

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shear Modulus posted:

It seems like liberals think it's legitimate no matter what, but that's it.

In that hypothetical yeah the republicans would be pissed but the official legalese argument is never that the court hosed up because the outcome is bad, it's that the court hosed up because they made a mistake in interpreting the constitution. it's like saying that the ruling is illegitimate because it wouldn't pass peer review.

There was serious talk about outright nullifying the court among the religious right back in the 90s

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Der Meister posted:

it’s hilarious that scotus will say state supreme courts can’t review state election matters because it’s not written down somewhere but they are allowed to review whatever they want despite that not being written down anywhere 😂😂🤡🤡🌅

there are no implied rights in the constitution except for the right of the supreme court to unilaterally interpret the constitution

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hahahahaha that owns

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Enjoy your summer. October is the end of it all.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Enjoy your summer. October is the end of it all.

hey now we have til next summer til the ruling's released

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

there are no implied rights in the constitution except for the right of the supreme court to unilaterally interpret the constitution

🤣🤣🤣🔥🔥🔥👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

spacemang_spliff posted:

the joy of being commiebrained is being able to say that the supreme court is as legitimate as any of the branches of the federal government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

We don’t know yet. Cowards won’t release the stupid opinion

gotta wait until quitting time Friday for the spicy poo poo