Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not quite what you're asking but the lenovo smart clock can be had for very little these days and shouting at them to set an alarm before collapsing into bed is great

(well, whispering to not wake the mrs up anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Not quite what you're asking but the lenovo smart clock can be had for very little these days and shouting at them to set an alarm before collapsing into bed is great

(well, whispering to not wake the mrs up anyway)

How is that different from asking your phone to set an alarm? Not being snobby just curious like I don't understand why someone would need a dedicated smart clock/alarm these days when we all sleep beside phones.

OP just... use the built in alarm clock in the phone?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just hold the home button and say "set alarm for ______"

Is there some advantage to using a 3rd-party alarm?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i bought a pair of the nest audio speakers for my bedroom and while i have voice commands disabled on my phone it's nice to be able to say "hey google, play ocean sounds and wake me up in an hour" when i want to take a nap

i have two of them paired in stereo and that's literally the only things i use them for

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

VelociBacon posted:

Not being snobby just curious like I don't understand why someone would need a dedicated smart clock/alarm these days when we all sleep beside phones.

I actually don't. Phone is out in the living room at night.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I actually don't. Phone is out in the living room at night.

Same. I use an old LG phone in airplane mode as my alarm clock, but that's pretty much all it is at this point - a clock, not a phone. The battery has held up surprisingly well for a phone that's like 6 or 7 years old.

My actual phones live on my desk in the living room when I sleep, as does my smartwatch.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I just hold the home button and say "set alarm for ______"

Is there some advantage to using a 3rd-party alarm?

For me, AMDroid was perfect for two things:
1) Scheduling alarms with more options than just days of the week
2) making me do a little puzzle before turning off the alarm. I used to turn the alarm off in my sleep.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Deeters posted:

2) making me do a little puzzle before turning off the alarm. I used to turn the alarm off in my sleep.

Scheduling and I like the little things like the bedtime reminder to tell me how much later I've stayed up than I should have, the pre-alarm, the sound fade in, and I have it make me type "wake up you lazy gently caress" before it turns off the alarm in the morning for motivation. It works really well when it works, but the rare occasion it doesn't can be very bad. Guess I'll just set a backup using the built in alarm.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Same. I use an old LG phone in airplane mode as my alarm clock, but that's pretty much all it is at this point - a clock, not a phone. The battery has held up surprisingly well for a phone that's like 6 or 7 years old.

My actual phones live on my desk in the living room when I sleep, as does my smartwatch.

I used to use an old phone like this, but it didn't update for daylight savings time one year so I stopped doing that.

dxt fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 22, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dxt posted:

I used to use an old phone like this, but it didn't update for daylight savings time one year so I stopped doing that.

Weird. Up until earlier this year I was using an LG phone from 2010 as my alarm clock, and even with that just turning off airplane mode for a few seconds made it get the right time. The battery was just about dead on that one, so I swapped it out for a slightly newer old phone. I don't throw things away, so currently have 6 LG phones covering 2008-2020, 2 Motorola phones from 2021, and one Google Pixel from this year.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

VelociBacon posted:

How is that different from asking your phone to set an alarm? Not being snobby just curious like I don't understand why someone would need a dedicated smart clock/alarm these days when we all sleep beside phones.

OP just... use the built in alarm clock in the phone?

It's just a nice bit of kit that does one thing well

Also having a clock you can see without looking at your phone is nice, plus it doubles as a speaker if you want to fall asleep to something

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Deeters posted:

Sleep as Android has that, and you can just ignore all the sleep tracking stuff if you don't want to use it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

I've had phones screw up alarms a handful of times. I also have my alarm clock from twenty years ago that has never done me wrong. It has a battery backup and automatically turns off on weekends (though I sometimes forget about turning it off on holidays).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

dxt posted:

Is there a more reliable option than AMDroid? I've been using it mostly fine for a few years but every once in awhile the alarm goes off with no sound. I've been late to work the last 2 days because of this. Luckily my job isn't too strict about time, but a more reliable option would be nice to have. Maybe just use the build in alarm as a backup?

Maybe turn off battery optimization?
I've been using Android for years and can't pinpoint blame on it for not waking up.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

dxt posted:

Is there a more reliable option than AMDroid? I've been using it mostly fine for a few years but every once in awhile the alarm goes off with no sound. I've been late to work the last 2 days because of this. Luckily my job isn't too strict about time, but a more reliable option would be nice to have. Maybe just use the build in alarm as a backup?

I use "I can't wake up". It has random order of tasks and in the years I've used it it has never failed. You might want to check that you've allowed the app all privileges, though.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Weird. Up until earlier this year I was using an LG phone from 2010 as my alarm clock, and even with that just turning off airplane mode for a few seconds made it get the right time. The battery was just about dead on that one, so I swapped it out for a slightly newer old phone. I don't throw things away, so currently have 6 LG phones covering 2008-2020, 2 Motorola phones from 2021, and one Google Pixel from this year.

Turning off airplane mode fixed it, but I didn't want to deal with that twice a year apparently so I stopped.

deong posted:

Maybe turn off battery optimization?
I've been using Android for years and can't pinpoint blame on it for not waking up.

I have battery saver off, but Adaptive Battery is on, maybe that's the problem?

When I have the issue the alarm appears to go off like normal, the screen is turned on with the AMDroid active, so the app is running, it just doesn't make any sound.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Flaskraven posted:

I use "I can't wake up". It has random order of tasks and in the years I've used it it has never failed. You might want to check that you've allowed the app all privileges, though.

I'll try allowing all the permissions, there were some turned off that are only used for features that I don't use.

I rebooted my phone and the alarm went off this morning like normal after two failed morning in a row. The problem has only come up acouple of times in years of use, but alarms are something that kind of need to be dependable.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions for non-malware / data-collecting widgets? I recently got a pixel 6 and realize that the nifty weather/clock/various other useful info widget I had was exclusive to my samsung note. I don't mind paying if it's good.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Is there no way to use a third-party TTS engine in Google Play Books? I have the third-party engine set as the system TTS in the settings on my Pixel 4A, and I get that Google Maps won't use it, but it's really frustrating that it looks like I can't use it in Google Play Books either.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to sync a local folder on a phone with google drive? I'd like to be able to push files onto a remote phone by uploading them to Google Drive on my PC, it seems the Google Drive doesn't natively support this for some reason. Can Syncthing ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid ) help out?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way to sync a local folder on a phone with google drive? I'd like to be able to push files onto a remote phone by uploading them to Google Drive on my PC, it seems the Google Drive doesn't natively support this for some reason. Can Syncthing ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid ) help out?

Syncthing can sync folders between any devices where you have it installed. Pointing it to the Gdrive folder on your PC should be no problem, but I'm not sure if Android lets other apps write there on the phone.
Syncing it to another folder on the phone will definitely work though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
My phones 3yo and I've got a bunch of videos stored in it that i have to scroll down and memorise where they're sorta at, is there any app to catalogue videos or tag them and searchable?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

My phones 3yo and I've got a bunch of videos stored in it that i have to scroll down and memorise where they're sorta at, is there any app to catalogue videos or tag them and searchable?

Do you use Google Photos? You can search "Videos" with that to pull them all up, and you can add text in a description field for individual videos (and photos) to search for specific ones as well.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I use google photos but not for dumb meme videos tho, like to keep those two worlds apart, sorta

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Has the way Chrome handles links on Android changed? On my Huawei Mediapad tablet, it used to be that if you held down on a link, you'd get the usual contextual popup (open in other tab, preview ...) But now only a normal tap/click works and takes you to the link. If you hold down, there's a weird ghostly grey bubble that gives the link address but does nothing else.

The old behaviour still works in my phone so not sure if it's an update, a tablet specific thing or what.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Has a replacement for Vanced come along yet? Or does anyone know about a project like that in the works?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dabir posted:

Has a replacement for Vanced come along yet? Or does anyone know about a project like that in the works?

Newpipe is the new youtube watching app.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Recommend me an app for keeping track of birthdays. Google calendar appears to suck for that purpose because you need to have the person as a contact to keep track of birthdays the official way. Only contacts I have are old people and work related stuff I still need a phone number for... And I'm not gonna make tons of contacts just for keeping track of bdays and nothing else.
I've also tried to add the birthday as a yearly recurring event or whatever in G calendar, but that makes the bday move forward each day until I dismiss it or whatever.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Sininu posted:

Recommend me an app for keeping track of birthdays. Google calendar appears to suck for that purpose because you need to have the person as a contact to keep track of birthdays the official way. Only contacts I have are old people and work related stuff I still need a phone number for... And I'm not gonna make tons of contacts just for keeping track of bdays and nothing else.
I've also tried to add the birthday as a yearly recurring event or whatever in G calendar, but that makes the bday move forward each day until I dismiss it or whatever.

I don't get why you can't write it down in your Google Calendar like you would a physical calendar. That works for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Agreed. I just entered an all-day test birthday event on the 5th, told it to repeat every year, and checked 2023 and 2024. The event was still on the 5th.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You can even make a separate calendar just for birthdays so you can toggle it off if you get tired of seeing them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can even make a separate calendar just for birthdays so you can toggle it off if you get tired of seeing them.

I've done this for literally one birthday!

I just realized that I made a new contact to remember a date (RIP day :( ) two days ago instead of just sticking it into the calendar. I should update that!

Edit: One hosed up Google thing is displaying "custom" dates in the contacts app as birthdays on the calendar. I have a few custom dates that I named "RIP" and I get a cake with lights and all that when I look at them on the calendar.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 3, 2022

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If it's moving forward until dismissed, then you created a reminder and not an event.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Guy Axlerod posted:

If it's moving forward until dismissed, then you created a reminder and not an event.

Yeah, I created them using events now. Thanks. Can I do bulk edits to calendar events? I'd like to put all the birthdays into another category.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sininu posted:

Yeah, I created them using events now. Thanks. Can I do bulk edits to calendar events? I'd like to put all the birthdays into another category.

Like someone else said above just start a new 'calendar' with the birthdays in it so you can turn that on and off like a layer imo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For birthday reminders I tend to rely on the Outlook or Yahoo! calendar (set up on the websites, not the apps) and have it email me a week or so before so I have a heads up. It's way less annoying to just get an email than notifications on my phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For birthday reminders I tend to rely on the Outlook or Yahoo! calendar (set up on the websites, not the apps) and have it email me a week or so before so I have a heads up. It's way less annoying to just get an email than notifications on my phone.

I have yearly repeating google calendar events for a couple bdays and set them to notify a week before, but you can have it email you instead too

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

I have yearly repeating google calendar events for a couple bdays and set them to notify a week before, but you can have it email you instead too

I think I have some birthday reminders in Google Keep, too, now that I think about it.

For people less close to me (which is the majority of people I know) I just let Facebook remind me. Me posting birthday wishes to people is one of the few things I do to let people know I'm still alive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MediaMonkey question: is there a repeat button? My Android app is just repeating the track over and over until I skip to the next one, which then repeats. Don't see how to turn repeat off. Or even on.

I wonder if it's an error.

I know MediaMonkey is used by everyone, so I'm fully expect lots of help!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Uthor posted:

MediaMonkey question: is there a repeat button? My Android app is just repeating the track over and over until I skip to the next one, which then repeats. Don't see how to turn repeat off. Or even on.

I wonder if it's an error.

I know MediaMonkey is used by everyone, so I'm fully expect lots of help!

like a lot of media players, it toggles between no repeat -> repeat a single track -> repeat the whole playlist. i'd just dig through the ui a bit harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I guess I'll play around with it some more to see if I can find the option.

Edit: loving yes! Had to tap on the album art to bring up the buttons for shuffle and repeat. That's the only place those two options are and those are the only options when you tap on the album art. I feel like those could have been integrated in the bottom 1/3 of the screen with all the other controls, but I'm not a master music interface designer.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 4, 2022