Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C-Euro posted:

I need to look at this WV v EPA ruling but I assume that it just kicks the ability to regulate GHGs back to the states. At the same time, anyone who watched each state scramble to implement their own COVID policy, sometimes fighting with each other in the process, should realize the importance of having a strong federal response to handle large-scale crises!

Someone remind me of what the endgame is for the GOP killing off the federal government. Are some states just hoping to ban minorities from living there?

I think republicans just want a weak government because they know they can pass a lot more bullshit in the states they control, like abortion. Of course it’s just going to make a regulatory nightmare as CA enacts restrictive rules and Texas enacts really loose regulations and national companies get to figure out how to comply with 50 different state regulations at the same time.

God our loving constitution sucks so much. The founding fathers had zero foresight to realize that a weak federal government would be a total loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Congress granted the EPA the power to regulate things but made the mistake of regulating things republicans don't like which is not allowed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yknow, I’ve always wondered what the Cuyahoga River fire looked like and I guess we can see it again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is especially funny/sad/both if you subscribe to the theory that Nixon created the EPA specifically to take environmental regulations away from Congress and make them a function of the executive branch.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hey everyone, time to board the coup coup train!!

https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/1542522085993357320?t=FuP60GwCMoLnziJB5lcHEg&s=19

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Looks like summer of 2024 will be target time for bugging the gently caress out of here.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

State Legislatures are full of the most insane members of government

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, that’s a recipe for a constitutional crisis if I ever saw one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's already retiring anyway. VT's lone congressman Welch(D) is highly likely to win his seat.

He cannot vote.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

i swear they're just stunting to a new format, that's what usually happens

yep

https://twitter.com/PasteMagazine/status/1542535541786378241

quote:

After 24 hours of playing the song on repeat, the station announced a format change. Despite previous reports that this was protesting the layoffs of Lim and Sidhu, the station was actually “stunting,” which many stations do when they want to announce a pivot to a new format or brand. The station used the song to signal a change to an alternative rock format.

On the station’s old website, a message reads:

Thank you for listening to KiSS RADiO in Vancouver & The Valley. This KiSS is saying goodbye but you can still listen to the KiSS Radio in Edmonton, Ottawa, and Toronto on their websites or on your smart speaker devices. . .If you’d like to try something new, you could listen to SONiC – The New Alternative.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Bird in a Blender posted:

That would be a wrap for any idea of "united states"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's not the worst candidate the Dems could choose, honestly.

I literally can't think of someone who would do a better job and have a decent chance of beating Trump.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

That dumb convoy is still rolling around

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1542535261007011844?t=gIn2C2kAi_0bZA_T7sEhCw&s=19

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

“I see an antifa!”

Goddamn soup for brains

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Can there be a crisis if only one side is doing any fighting?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I think republicans just want a weak government because they know they can pass a lot more bullshit in the states they control, like abortion. Of course it’s just going to make a regulatory nightmare as CA enacts restrictive rules and Texas enacts really loose regulations and national companies get to figure out how to comply with 50 different state regulations at the same time.

God our loving constitution sucks so much. The founding fathers had zero foresight to realize that a weak federal government would be a total loving mess.

Fun take: progressive states with higher restrictions like CA will compete for business with states that have looser ones like TX by offering better tax breaks.

Congrats landing that new auto plant which will have better working conditions for the workers & the environment! Too bad the auto company literally won't put money back into that state via taxes since they got a sweet tax break! :capitalism:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Everything sucks but I still don't think I'd leave, if all the sane people with means flee then it's only going to turn into a theocracy with nukes even faster.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the best movie to watch on the 4th of July?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Independence Day?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aliens popped into my head and actually kinda works in some ways.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Qwijib0 posted:

Everything sucks but I still don't think I'd leave, if all the sane people with means flee then it's only going to turn into a theocracy with nukes even faster.

We’re already a zealous theocracy with nukes

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Idiocracy.

Anyways, again, always more, always worse...

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1542489585665511424?t=1N8tFBxYbNmXTAihbxjc4w&s=19

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rocky IV

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Born on the Fourth of July. The date is even in the title!

Skwirl posted:

Independence Day?

:hmmyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't understand how no one in the Uvalde police department hasn't committed suicide out of shame. Like, if I was a mechanic and I hosed up a brake job on a school bus and 11 kids died because of that the next time I started a car there would be a hose running from the exhaust pipe to the cabin of my car.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand how no one in the Uvalde police department hasn't committed suicide out of shame. Like, if I was a mechanic and I hosed up a brake job on a school bus and 11 kids died because of that the next time I started a car there would be a hose running from the exhaust pipe to the cabin of my car.

Ur not a sociopath :)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I feel like I could live with it, especially if I had like 30 cohorts to collectively absorb the responsibility along with me.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Skwirl posted:

Cop brain requires never ever taking responsibility for your actions

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Gonna watch Independence Day on Friday at a friend's place where they like projecting movies onto a makeshift screen in their backyard. It's a fun way to spend pleasant Friday evenings.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

This I like.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Joe Dirt

https://twitter.com/BrandyBeansH/status/1542526560481288193?t=9ri-kV5BWhET0AFOEJiOEg&s=19

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I don’t see a feasible way out for myself anyway, I guess my best option it WI flips red again which I assume it will is to move a couple hours south to a blue state :shrug:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I actually looked into what it would take to get into Canada and it doesn’t seem infeasible to me, but it’s still something I’m not going to do unless I absolutely have to. I do have a friend in Victoria, BC who could help me out if I needed it.

It helps to have a white collar job with a degree or be a skilled tradesman.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

T-Square posted:

I don’t see a feasible way out for myself anyway, I guess my best option it WI flips red again which I assume it will is to move a couple hours south to a blue state :shrug:

Illinois becoming a hotbed for ppl traveling back is delightfully ironic. Antioch welcomes you probably!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I would laugh my rear end off if all these Republican states start shedding people because people actually want to live in states that still allow abortion. Not really sure they will, but one can hope. I really thought people would start leaving Texas after their recent laws, but I’m not sure there’s evidence of that yet.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I would laugh my rear end off if all these Republican states start shedding people because people actually want to live in states that still allow abortion. Not really sure they will, but one can hope. I really thought people would start leaving Texas after their recent laws, but I’m not sure there’s evidence of that yet.

They want this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Moving is expensive and a pain in the rear end, is why. Doubly so if you have family nearby that you use as a support network (or relies on you for support!) and who is also not moving with you.

E:

Guze posted:

They want this.

P much this. If the people with the means to move out of regressive states all do so, then the people who can't are stuck with state governments who now have more room to make life hell for those residents. Plus further and further concentrating voters into a smaller number of blue states, further cementing the problems of the Electoral College.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 30, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Those states are still gonna have two senators, and the senate approves judges. I don't see a way to fix this that doesn't involve a lot of people dying unnecessarily to provoke some sort of popular action, and the alternative is a lot of people dying unnecessarily and this not being fixed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
1. Everyone moves out of regressive states
2. Through regressive states, Republicans take 100% control of the federal government
3. They enact federal laws that trump state laws, making people in progressive states have the same rights as the ones in regressive ones, nullifying point 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I think at a certain point they detach enough to pretend like they did nothing wrong. It’s like people who profit working for lovely foreign governments, dictatorships or cartels.