Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

As a HUGE fan of Ms. Marvel, I was really wary about this, especially when I read they were changing her powers and probable origin (yeah I'm one of the few Marvel readers who actually enjoyed Inhumans, shoot me.)

After watching all 4 episodes...I'm kind of satisfied. The bangle origin sucks, Bruno sucks (so he's just an American kid now, ok I guess?) the powers kind of sucked right up until the big fight in episode 4, and I'm surprised they went with Red Dagger so early, but god drat, Iman Vellani is so endearing as Kamala Khan and the actors playing her parents have those characters nailed too, especially the one playing her father.

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen the costume yet, and 4/6 episodes in she's not even Ms. Marvel, but I guess this is going to be like Smallville where it's all about the journey (though hopefully it won't take 10 seasons!)

I'm enjoying it, although I don't think it's as great as a lot of people here seem to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Soonmot posted:

the red daggers are as much regular humans as the hand are. They're a martial order formed to fight extradimensional beings.

Yeah, but the Djinns got their asses handed to them by DODC as well. It's hard to find villains threatening at all when they're being led out in cuffs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

Bruno gave her the mask last episode, the polaroid guy was fleecing the American but still gave valid directions, just in I'm-a-local-this-city-is-confusing-that's-the-joke-ese, and: brunch happens around noon, afternoon shopping is after that, meet red daggers is quite explicitly minutes after shopping because we see Kamala split off to go to the train station, going home for dinner happens in the evening, go back out at night is after dinner and there's an outfit change because a teenage girl is going to hang out with a cute boy and his friends at a campfire at night, next day they go back to red dagger HQ. Kamala had a busy day.

Hey, it's hard for a goon to actually sit still and watch something before complaining about it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dell_Zincht posted:

Bruno sucks (so he's just an American kid now, ok I guess?)

When has he been anything else?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

chitoryu12 posted:

Hey, it's hard for a goon to actually sit still and watch something before complaining about it.

Goons

am i rite?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen the costume yet, and 4/6 episodes in she's not even Ms. Marvel, but I guess this is going to be like Smallville where it's all about the journey (though hopefully it won't take 10 seasons!)

We've seen pieces; the domino mask Bruno made her is too nice to not be the final one, and all that talk about the garment the Red Daggers gave her makes me believe it'll also be part of her costume.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

howe_sam posted:

When has he been anything else?

He's Italian-American in the comics, the TV show doesn't seem to have even referred to his ancestry (unless I somehow missed it.)

Also we'd better get Lockjaw, dammnit.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Dell_Zincht posted:

He's Italian-American in the comics, the TV show doesn't seem to have even referred to his ancestry (unless I somehow missed it.)

Also we'd better get Lockjaw, dammnit.

Kamala's mom does mention Bruno's nonna when she gives him the food to take home. But that's the only hint at it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She’s wearing the costume on the title picture in the app so there’s like zero chance she won’t have it by the end of the season.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

we're pretty sure Brie Larson is showing up at some point too, right?

Seems like there's a lot to get done in 2 episodes

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, but the Djinns got their asses handed to them by DODC as well. It's hard to find villains threatening at all when they're being led out in cuffs.

I mean, the main person they have to threaten is a 16 year old girl with no combat training who they outnumber 4 to 1.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I expect we won't see Brie Larson until some post-credits tease setting up The Marvels

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kazil posted:

Brie Larson in the final episode giving her blessing to use the Ms. Marvel name, I would assume.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

The Djinn's got taken by a futuristically armed SWAT team who attacked by surprise.

And this episode they handed the DODC those asses right back while in a "Supermax" prison.

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, the main person they have to threaten is a 16 year old girl with no combat training who they outnumber 4 to 1.

Well... not so much any more. Two Djinn seem to be dead. And Kamala has Red Dagger with her against the other two (when she, y'know, returns from time-travel). Plus Kamren once they all get back to the US. And Bruno. So that'll be a fun dick-measuring contest.

Maybe Clan Destine will call in some reinforcements from a European branch. Maybe a widowed member and her daughter. Yes, gently caress it, give me a mini Into the Badlands reunion with Emily Beecham and Ally Ioannides. Because I'm greedy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hobo Clown posted:

I expect we won't see Brie Larson until some post-credits tease setting up The Marvels

Yeah at most we're getting a short set-up scene that Brie was able to film on the Marvels set

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

I'm not sure Brie Larson will show up at all. I can certainly see it happening, but I can also see it just being Monica Rambeau appearing and talking about Carol instead to set up The Marvels, since Monica would be a far easier get for even a 2 minute TV scene.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I'm not sure Brie Larson will show up at all. I can certainly see it happening, but I can also see it just being Monica Rambeau appearing and talking about Carol instead to set up The Marvels, since Monica would be a far easier get for even a 2 minute TV scene.

I don't know. I doubt they can resist having Captain Marvel meeting/endorsing Ms. Marvel. Plus Brie Larson and Iman Vellani have been filming The Marvels already. How hard would it really be for them to have done some small scene for this show during that? Plus, having Monica Rambeau show up would be a little weird because Kamala's reaction would probably be more "Who the gently caress are you?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Brie Larson would be the biggest cameo/guest star role so far for Marvel TV right? Lady Sif was in Loki for a minute, Don Cheadle in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye had Kingpin, and Darcy and Jimmy Woo (which were more supporting cast than guest) in Wandavision.

We haven't had someone who had their own movie show up as a guest yet is what I am saying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not going to rule out a post-credits cameo by Brie Larson

I do think it’s pretty clear that Kamala doesn’t get her full costume until the end of the last episode. They’ve been gradually giving her more parts of it as the show has progressed.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Did you see that actor they got to act alongside Paul Bettany?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

Did you see that actor they got to act alongside Paul Bettany?

Wasn't that just some white guy? Who cares... :rolleyes:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

swickles posted:

Brie Larson would be the biggest cameo/guest star role so far for Marvel TV right? Lady Sif was in Loki for a minute, Don Cheadle in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye had Kingpin, and Darcy and Jimmy Woo (which were more supporting cast than guest) in Wandavision.

We haven't had someone who had their own movie show up as a guest yet is what I am saying.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

:confused:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

swickles posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

:confused:

Swickles is technically correct (the best kind of correct) since Bucky/The Winter Soldier was one of the main cast in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, not a guest star.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The Kate Bishop show had the Hawkeye dude cameo in it a whole bunch too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
WandaVision had the naked guy from Knight's Tale in it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you wanna be pedantic it’ll be Hulk in she hulk since he’s got 2 movies.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Parkingtigers posted:

The Kate Bishop show had the Hawkeye dude cameo in it a whole bunch too.

No they said someone who had their own movie

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not going to rule out a post-credits cameo by Brie Larson

I do think it’s pretty clear that Kamala doesn’t get her full costume until the end of the last episode. They’ve been gradually giving her more parts of it as the show has progressed.

I'm hoping they have Brie as Captain Marvel descending to the earth aglow like the awe-inspiring space goddess that she is, then look at Kamala and pretty much do the "Awwww, adorable, squeeee..." thing the rest of us have been doing since we first "met" Iman Vellani.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

swickles posted:

It's been by choice, though -- there were plans for Dr. Strange to show up at the end of Wandavision and it got nixed because they decided it was Wanda's story and pulling focus from her like "oh the real superhero showed up now" would have been a disservice, not because they couldn't get Cumberbatch or didn't want to pay him for it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, pretty obviously. And the "you don't get the fully formed hero in costume until the climax of the last episode" is already a trope I've grown to hate, but I do genuinely like how they're doing it this time -- they're showing us the costume being built, piece by piece, and that every piece has meaning to Kamala. In the comics, her first costume was just a burkini she pulled out of her closet; "bangle from great-grandma, mask from Bruno, shirt from Karachi, tunic from Red Daggers" is way cooler.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tsob posted:

They had Brie film a scene for a cruise ship with Iman. They easily could have filmed a post credits scene then.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Disney embracing the Netflix shows by commissioning new posters to promote them. Yes, even for Iron Fist. The other images are in the replies to the linked tweet.

https://twitter.com/disneyplushs/status/1542519199473750016?s=21&t=8BqzB1giZ92sZEDwmNL5rA

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

In this universe everybody loves Alyssa Mandela

Ah yes, the Who's the Boss effect :hmmyes:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I’m guessing that they’d want to save the first actual meeting between Kamala and Carol for The Marvels. Doesn’t mean that Brie Larson couldn’t appear in a different capacity for one scene, though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brie Larson will show up in one episode, I'm sure.

One of the murals has Captain Marvel on it, and I think you have to pay off Kamala being such a huge fan in her series, and not in The Marvels.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Codependent Poster posted:

Brie Larson will show up in one episode, I'm sure.

One of the murals has Captain Marvel on it, and I think you have to pay off Kamala being such a huge fan in her series, and not in The Marvels.
I think also there's an adaptation-induced hanging question of why Kamala is going to name herself Ms. Marvel in the first place without having "it's what Carol used to call herself" as an explanation, and I'm not sure how the answer isn't "Captain Marvel shows up and names her that". I can't see Kamala having the presumption to invent a codename that lays explicit claim to Carol's legacy without her approval, and Carol has a known propensity for giving nicknames to plucky younger girls.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, pretty obviously. And the "you don't get the fully formed hero in costume until the climax of the last episode" is already a trope I've grown to hate, but I do genuinely like how they're doing it this time -- they're showing us the costume being built, piece by piece, and that every piece has meaning to Kamala. In the comics, her first costume was just a burkini she pulled out of her closet; "bangle from great-grandma, mask from Bruno, shirt from Karachi, tunic from Red Daggers" is way cooler.

What's left to incorporate from her costume? The lightning bolt motif and the scarf? The scarf makes sense to tie into the Red Daggers as well in some way, but I'm curious about the lightning bolt, since Carol never used it in the MCU.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

I’m guessing that they’d want to save the first actual meeting between Kamala and Carol for The Marvels. Doesn’t mean that Brie Larson couldn’t appear in a different capacity for one scene, though.

https://youtu.be/SpRQfCcBYwE

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

This cruise ship thing is great, not just because of Captain Marvel but also having Ant-Man directly, in character, address the Thanos rear end theory from Endgame.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CapnAndy posted:

I think also there's an adaptation-induced hanging question of why Kamala is going to name herself Ms. Marvel in the first place without having "it's what Carol used to call herself" as an explanation, and I'm not sure how the answer isn't "Captain Marvel shows up and names her that". I can't see Kamala having the presumption to invent a codename that lays explicit claim to Carol's legacy without her approval, and Carol has a known propensity for giving nicknames to plucky younger girls.

That or something like it seems like the most likely scenario. As far as names go, right now all we know is that Kamala (understandably) does not want her "superhero name" to be Nightlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CapnAndy posted:

It's been by choice, though -- there were plans for Dr. Strange to show up at the end of Wandavision and it got nixed because they decided it was Wanda's story and pulling focus from her like "oh the real superhero showed up now" would have been a disservice, not because they couldn't get Cumberbatch or didn't want to pay him for it.

Likewise there were plans for Christian Bale to show up at the end of Moon Knight to address the question of "So where was Ra during all of this, shouldn't the leader of the Egyptian gods have done something?" before they similarly decided that it was best to keep the show relatively small-scale instead of ending with an advertisement for Thor 4.