Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Summoned Servitor is cool but I don't think it ever ends up being worth the xp cost on its own. At 0 xp it does literally nothing but destroy one of your assets for 2 resources. It's a bit better with the new investigator as it lets you discard (or bounce at another 3xp) a doomed asset you've already gotten value from. I think the sweet spot is at 10 xp, where it uses either an ally or mystic slot and gives you 2 extra actions to: use it as a taxi, evade, or investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I think the runic axe is fine at 0xp if you are using the taboo list and machete isn't available.

The upgrades need to be across all copies of the card. How would you differentiate which one you upgraded otherwise?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My theory on the customize rule is that you can only spend XP on them that fits your deckbuilding restrictions. So the average investigator with Class 0-5 could spend up to 5 XP on a card, but Daisy Walker could only buy 2 XP worth of upgrades on a Mystic card.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No way, these cards would be unusable if that were the case. It would make Summoned Servitor's final upgrade the ultimate noob trap: spend 5 xp to make your card do nothing, twice, and permanently block your ability to make it do anything useful.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The guy I usually play Arkham with has pointed out Power Word's synergy with Handcuffs. He's previously played a Roland deck that would move around with a pet ghoul enabling on-demand scene of the crime / interrogation and some of Power Word's upgrades would work really well with that archetype.

edit:

LifeLynx posted:

My theory on the customize rule is that you can only spend XP on them that fits your deckbuilding restrictions. So the average investigator with Class 0-5 could spend up to 5 XP on a card, but Daisy Walker could only buy 2 XP worth of upgrades on a Mystic card.

It should be double your xp limit, if limited at all, since you are hopefully upgrading two cards at once and it is honestly kinda over-costed otherwise and a pair of 5 xp cards takes 10 xp to include in your deck if you want consistency.

Script Weaver costing 4/5 possible xp would make it trash.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 30, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

The upgrade on Word of Power makes it seem like customize bonuses are global to all copies, so hopefully. On the other hand the Asmoday pre-order page touts "48 upgrade sheets", which suggests it comes with multiples of the same one so maybe not? Or it could just be one for each printed copy of a customizable card so players don't need to share, which suggests 24 total (assuming two copies of each).

Relatedly, said pre-order page: ()

Officially reveals Kymani Jones AKA Waylay with legs. It's an odd ability, and doesn't play well with Deep Ones, but I know someone at my group who will jump at the chance to kill people by juking them. Also shoutouts to the Shoggoth basic weakness whose full text is obscured. Meanwhile I'm also excited for the possibility of having a real rear end Eldritch Horror style world map!

Also judging by the card numbering, the order of investigators listed on the back of the box possibly tells us Vincent Lee is going to be a Seeker and Daryl Simmons is a Survivor (likely the elusive Survivor 5/Seeker 2 character at long last).

I'm so disappointed, I had my fingers and toes crossed that we'd finally get a Rogue with 4 Fist who could be a competent fighter without being Tony Morgan but it wasn't to be! :negative:

They're still clearly being lined up for the fighter position so maybe we'll still get a permanent Sharpshooter or a gun that uses Agility. They need something to be able to deal with Elite enemies and with 3, 2, 2 in their other stats they're not doing anything other than Evading at the moment. Upgraded Stealth is going to be really strong with this ability though.

FYI, just in case anyone didn't know, I'm pretty sure this is the non-binary investigator.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 30, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Just imagine putting 10xp into a single card though. You don’t draw it and now you just suck.

Even if it applies to both copies, which I really do hope, it’d be like putting 2 5xp cards in your deck as your first upgrade. Slightly more flexible because you can incrementally put in the spot over 2 scenarios, but as you say, the card is just not good until you pour in this much xp.

Starting with 2 lvl 5 upgrades is insane for pretty much any deck unless you got serious tutoring (big guardian weapons) and arguably even then you only want to do it if the card is bonkers broken (necronomicon).

If it only applies to a single copy it’s like taking a Key of Ys as your first xp card. Just nuts.

The runic axe is a fine weapon at 0xp. Better than Enchanted Blade if you don’t mind the extra hand slot. Not convinced upgrading is worth it.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 30, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nephthys posted:

They're still clearly being lined up for the fighter position so maybe we'll still get a permanent Sharpshooter or a gun that uses Agility. They need something to be able to deal with Elite enemies and with 3, 2, 2 in their other stats they're not doing anything other than Evading at the moment. Upgraded Stealth is going to be really strong with this ability though.

Backstab and Sneak Attack already exist and their innate ability lets them save those cards for elites. I think they look like they'll be really fun to play, especially with Stealth (3).

Permanent Sharpshooter ala On Your Own would be amazing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Backstab and Sneak Attack already exist and their innate ability lets them save those cards for elites. I think they look like they'll be really fun to play, especially with Stealth (3).

Permanent Sharpshooter ala On Your Own would be amazing.

Yeah, but if you're the main fighter you need something more than that for elite-heavy scenarios or if you're taking on an Ancient One. But I agree that they look fun, they just need card support. They're in the running for my first playthrough for sure.

It really should have been permanent to begin with imo. It would make Rogue so much more viable in the fighter role.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I am here for Arkham Horror: The Card Game: Eldritch Horror Edition. Can't wait to hear more about it - that map is making my imagination run wild.

For some reason I was expecting Carson to be a Butler-With-a-Shotgun fighter but it makes complete sense for him to be a support Guardian. I'm really hoping Amina has some incredible card support or some of the scenarios in this campaign do something novel with doom, because tying the power budget of a whole investigator to it means you may as well have a blank text box if you have to be timid about throwing doom everywhere.

I'll give the designers the benefit of the doubt though since the game has come a long way since they did their first run at a doom investigator (Marie) and also a neutral investigator (Lola) so hopefully they're using this chance to show off what they've learned.

I don't really like the idea of having to track the customizable stuff with a piece of paper but the mechanic itself seems fine and I agree it doesn't make sense if upgrades don't apply to all copies. MJ said on the Discord they'll be making the sheets available online so you can print your own. She also mentioned a couple of flavour bits about the investigators: Kymani is Jamaican, and Amina is an Algerian refugee, and Muslim.

I think Kymani looks great, too. "The Security Consultant" being a thief is a great starting point for a character (and true to life in a lot of cases) and the ability opens up a whole new archetype.

Here are all the images from the article, because I like images:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You might put Servitor in your deck and not use it at level zero, or use it to replace an ally or object that has doom on it. With wings of night, it becomes the Mystic version of Pathfinder.

Dowsing and sickle work well as things that you want to either discard or get back in your hand when they get filled with doom.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Just imagine putting 10xp into a single card though. You don’t draw it and now you just suck.

Even if it applies to both copies, which I really do hope, it’d be like putting 2 5xp cards in your deck as your first upgrade. Slightly more flexible because you can incrementally put in the spot over 2 scenarios, but as you say, the card is just not good until you pour in this much xp.

Starting with 2 lvl 5 upgrades is insane for pretty much any deck unless you got serious tutoring (big guardian weapons) and arguably even then you only want to do it if the card is bonkers broken (necronomicon).

If it only applies to a single copy it’s like taking a Key of Ys as your first xp card. Just nuts.

Based on the final perk on Power Word I'd assume the customization applies to all of the copies of the card you have:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

You might put Servitor in your deck and not use it at level zero, or use it to replace an ally or object that has doom on it. With wings of night, it becomes the Mystic version of Pathfinder.

I'm very excited to play Father Mateo with both of the customizable mystic cards.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Dowsing and sickle work well as things that you want to either discard or get back in your hand when they get filled with doom.

Mystic version of Pathfinder which takes up the 2 most valuable slots and doesn’t work on unrevealed locations.

I think you need to put in somewhere like 8xp before the card becomes ok, and 12 for it to be good.

Power Word actually just fully handles any non-elite enemy at 0xp. Hunters cost more but it gets it done. You add Confess and Tonguetwister (4xp) and now it’s actually good. Then either Greater Control or Bonded (2 or 3xp) and you are balling. Bonded being better but requiring more economy.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 1, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm very excited to play Father Mateo with both of the customizable mystic cards.

Oh yeah, and In the Thick of It value too.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
My initial thought after reading the description of the campaign and seeing the upgrade system is that this cycle might see some differences in how VP/XP are rewarded, or at the very least it will be the most generous campaign to date.

The non-linear choice of scenario means that the XP distribution should be more regular, because if one scenario gives 4 max and another gives 9 max, doing them in order from most reward to least reward would make the latter half of the game easier than if you did it the other way around

I can't see this as being like a Dunwich-level scarcity of XP situation, because they want to encourage experimentation with the new customize mechanic, so here's hoping for one big ol' campaign full of victory

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

But on the other hand the design issue with a fully non-lineair campaign is that you do not know how powerful, roughly, players will be when they start a scenario. If players run into a brick wall because they are underpowered that is a bad gaming experience, so to be avoided at all cost. This then risks all the scenarios being tuned to be on the easy side, which I personally also don't find fun.

The required solution is:
1. a mechanic to ascertain roughly how powerful the investigators are when they start any given scenario
combined with
2. a mechanic to increase the difficulty of the scenario that is roughly commensurate with that power level

You could do 1. fairly easily by just asking the PCs to track all the earned XP so far and bracketing something in the scenario set-up instructions based on this, but you'll need to then design every scenario to have a mechanic to respond to this that is also properly tuned. This is a lot of work and also the first time they've attempted this.

All this to say that I'm definitely excited to see the design space they are exploring that only works with this new distribution model, but since this is the first time they are doing it, I will not be surprised if they end up missing the mark a bunch. Hopefully they still land a Dunwich level fun time and this just becomes the campaign we look back on in 3 or 4 years as "clearly showing its age, but still fun especially if you are a new player".

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

According to this video there are 21 standard (blue) locations on the map, nine secret/locked locations (red), and five side story locations (green). I think he just did an enhance on the text box at the bottom of the map, but he also speculates that its the final mission that gets more difficult the longer you spend globe trotting since lack of time is one of the themes of the expansion. So you can do as many missions as you like (up to a point, I'm sure) but their outcomes influence whats in the deck for that final mission or what global effects/allies/enemies you'll have to deal with.

As such, it means that you can choose when to proceed to the finale so it maintains that element of risk/reward. Makes me think of the classic revolutionary war ending of the original 90s Colonization game, if anyone is old enough to get that reference.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Colonization owned.

The game anyway. The reality not so much.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Since you'll already be tracking time throughout the campaign, my guess is that they can use that to adjust the scenarios. More time taken -> More difficulty added maybe?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Turns out this is on the back of the box:

"The longer you take to unravel the mystery of the disappearances and the titular Scarlet Keys, the more time those organizations have to advance their shadowy agendas. When you reach the finale—either through time running out or through your own efforts—your choices, actions, and the places you visited throughout the whole campaign will come to a head in a truly epic conclusion."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I hope they mean epic in terms of dramatic, not in terms of length

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope there's quest to collect bear asses for XP.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Douche Phoenix posted:

Since you'll already be tracking time throughout the campaign, my guess is that they can use that to adjust the scenarios. More time taken -> More difficulty added maybe?

Sure that works too, but still requires every scenario to contain at least 1 design that can ratchet up the difficulty. This is hard to get right for the designers imo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could have like, 3 tiers of a general enemy encounter set for the campaign, say green, yellow and red just for discussions sake. If you're in the first 3 scenarios, you put the green ones in, if you're later than that then you shuffle the yellow ones in and if you're nearing the end of the campaign then you shuffle in the red ones which are the late game threats with stats to be sufficiently threatening. Then the specific scenarios would have their specific decks as well with the locations, treacheries and more bespoke enemies that are generally balanced to be interesting throughout a campaign.

The campaign pack does have 43 mini cards in addition to the 350ish standard sized cards as well, one of the ones on the back of the box is a "coterie agent A" with no other stuff on the card so there might be some sort of new more mutable enemy presence. It also mentions a new keyword "concealed" that "places enemies in the shadows until their true location is exposed" so those could function as modifiers for shroud values on locations and the like, if you're late in the campaign you use "coterie agent D" or whatever who makes locations slightly tougher until you find them and deal with them.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 2, 2022

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Or when you complete missions you accrue bag tokens and some elite enemies who are hunting you down. It would be pretty easy to have tokens and agendas add in enemy agent cards from your campaign deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The best idea I heard for Concealed and the mini cards is that they're randomly spread face down in locations. The "real" Red person is hiding in one of those spots. The rest are red herrings at best and encounter cards at worst. A similar vibe to the main mechanic in Carnevale of Horrors.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I’m very curious to see the mechanics they designed in any case, and certainly hope they got it right in one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They'll just add more copies of Ancient Evils to the encounter deck after every scenario.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up the reboxed Carcosa cycle today, anything I should know before I start or am I good to just dive in with general all-purpose decks? I’ll be playing solo but two-handed, haven’t decided what classes yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Mystic and people who can take horror soak will be well off.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I picked up the reboxed Carcosa cycle today, anything I should know before I start or am I good to just dive in with general all-purpose decks? I’ll be playing solo but two-handed, haven’t decided what classes yet.

Peter Sylvester is your best friend.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Here's an actual leak (Vincent Lee):

Looks pretty legit to me but we probably won't have to wait too long to find out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, in Return to Death’s Doorstep we spent so many actions in act 1 trying to manage doom on cultist enemies and found out too late that the location added by the Return set is basically a remote control room for cultist doom. A shame, too, because with one more turn we could have discovered all of the missing person leads instead of just one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Definitely discovered that too late. New rooms are often the best rooms

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Are the Return to box dimensions a standard match to anything? I was willing to standardize storage on something decorated like cool card catalogs. But... indefinite maybe on Dream Eaters+ is not something I can plan on.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Xlorp posted:

Are the Return to box dimensions a standard match to anything? I was willing to standardize storage on something decorated like cool card catalogs. But... indefinite maybe on Dream Eaters+ is not something I can plan on.

BCW 550 boxes are somewhat the same dimensions, and allow for the same divider sizes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Report from the weekend. Cardpool: RCore, Starters, Dunwich Legacy.

Jacqueline Fine (me), Winifred (nomadotto, above), and Nathaniel Cho tackled The House Always Wins and Extracurricular Activity. Two victories, 9 XP, fun had by all. We’re all relatively new to the game.

The House Always Wins

This scenario sucks. It was fun, and nothing inherently wrong, but not a great scenario to kick off the first campaign. AH seems to be a game (so far, I say in ignorance of what comes) about fighting and investigating. And in THAW, everybody’s Aloof (to start) and you don’t get clues by investigating, you get them by doing shenanigans and spending resources. It was mildly frustrating to have a hand with two Clairvoyances, a Rite of Seeking, and an Azure Flame, with the resources to play them, but not really needing to do either. Nathaniel used Safeguard to tag along with Winnie and we got to the back of the club pretty easily. We didn’t cheat, never any need. We found Dr. Morgan, Astral Traveled to the Back Alley, and got out of there.

I (Jackie) rescued Dr. Morgan, so I took him. I didn’t feel like my Jackie deck was hurting for card draw, and maybe should have given him to somebody else, but Winnie didn’t need cards, and Nathaniel really needed his allies already, so it was to me!

Extracurricular Activities

This felt like a good, solid Arkham Horror scenario. We ran around, we hoovered up clues, we blew some poo poo up.

When The Experiment arrived, neither Winnie nor Nathaniel were really set up, so we were presented with a real choice between attempting to get set up in time to deal with the Experiment or go warn the students in the Dormitories. We opted for violence. Winnie and Jackie both ate Beyond the Veils early, so Winnie was in dire shape and low on cards. With a deck of seven cards, finally ready to be set up with her gun, Winnie drew a Visions of Future Past. The game would be over soon, Winnie could afford to lose a few cards off her deck, so she committed nothing. She got a total of 1 (discarding 4). With a Skull (discarding 3). And she saw Beyond the Veil and she was defeated, taking poor, poor Jazz Mulligans with her.

So it was up to Nathaniel and Jackie. And it went fast, thanks to a well-curated hand from Nathaniel using Jackie’s ability. The Experiment fell to something we like to call the “Shrivel-Shrivel-Shrivel-Shrivel-One-Two-Punch-One-Two-Punch Maneuver".

Winnie took Dr. Armitage.

Next time, the Miskatonic Museum!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dunwich is by far the worst cycle to bring Winnie, best of luck. Your best using the rogue card that lets you use other peoples cards, and stealing a copy of Jaqueline‘s quantum flux to put your discard pile back in your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

Next time, the Miskatonic Museum!

If you didn't like scenarios where certain characters have nothing to do, you might hate this one also. Nathaniel Cho is going to be bored.