Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fellblade posted:

I don’t think the problem is that it’s not historical, the argument is it’s contradictory to the ‘goal’ of the game.

yeah, exactly. once you start requiring "players" to ignore the incentives of the game, things start getting weird. it's not ahistorical to have peaceful annexation or unification, but it fits awkwardly into a game where someone, player or AI, is going to be playing an easily-annexed minor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Even as a player, does it make sense for you to fight a war of independence you know you have no chance of winning? To send your armies and soldier pops off to be murdered by a superior enemy? To let the armies of an invader march across your homeland, spreading devastation everywhere they go and worsening your people's lives for years if not decades? Is that a fight worth fighting? Or should you acknowledge that you already lost when nobody came to your aid during the diplomatic phase?

Takanago fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 30, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

I don’t think the problem is that it’s not historical, the argument is it’s contradictory to the ‘goal’ of the game.
Uh, what?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I want to know what this goal is and how it contradicts it

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

CharlestheHammer posted:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, to hear the lamentation of their women, and to build the longest railroad.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Isn't it to crash the economy by having too many clipper ship factories?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

every other goal you might have in the game is premised on the ability to continue playing it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1542538954481745921

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

every other goal you might have in the game is premised on the ability to continue playing it

you're not supposed to actually let them annex you lol

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1542538954481745921

I find it funny that they focused on Egalitarian goals for this Dev Diary, when most of Paradox's Reddit community is memeing about how racist/tyrannical/genocidal they all are.

I can't wait for the scifi mods when this game comes out!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

yeti friend posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why this is an issue, you can just refuse. You might lose but nothing is going to force you to give up without a fight. If the AI gives up without a fight, that's also not a problem, because the AI is not supposed to be playing to "win". They're there as supporting cast.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The worst part of Civilization for me was the way the AI civs were all playing to "win", rather than acting like actual countries. It's one of the biggest things that really drove me to Paradox grand strategy games.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

yeti friend posted:

but they're making systems that really only make sense in that they convince AI players to let themselves be annexed

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I really hope this is refined into a baseline offering for PDS games going forward. I often find myself really interested in learning the fiddly mechanics and systems but when it comes time to do anything interesting I am completely devoid of creativity, so I kind of just play and tinker around aimlessly. I’d love it if I could choose an objective at the start and be lightly guided that way as I play.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

but they're making systems that really only make sense in that they convince AI players to let themselves be annexed

yes? is this supposed to be a problem? AIs will also annex other AIs so it's not like it's a player-only benefit. minors in every paradox game eventually get subsumed unless they have a mechanic protecting them from it or they are played by a player and quickly become not-a-minor

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Maybe players could get the option of tag switching to their new overlord if they give in to annexation? It's not quite the same as the reality of subjugation, but this way instead of the decision being a no-brainer, you'd have to choose between resisting and maintaining your identity or becoming part of something bigger.

Also, the journal and objectives systems together seem like a great substitute for focus trees in terms of storytelling potential.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

i will make a system of alliances so vast no one will be able to annex anyone :colbert:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why this is an issue, you can just refuse. You might lose but nothing is going to force you to give up without a fight. If the AI gives up without a fight, that's also not a problem, because the AI is not supposed to be playing to "win". They're there as supporting cast.

i don't think that's necessarily a given in every case. but it seems to be what vicky 3 is angling for, which is fine if they call it out as such. but some folks like competing with AI vs. just playing in a sandbox

e: that said i think caring about this is dumb lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I sincerely doubt a country that actually has a chance to resist you is going to let itself be annexed instead.

Realistically the ones that will do that are ones that if you wanted you could force annex pretty easily

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The 3 objectives also happen to focus on a different core aspect of gameplay so they can be viewed as extensions of the tutorial. Hegemony is all about foreign diplomacy and war, Economic dominance about making number go up, and egalitarian society about internal politics. If it works well it's pretty slick

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I don't think it's really an issue for the majority of players, especially not nerds who play enough to post in here, it's a 'problem' for designers.

Anecdotally from a few people I've introduced to various PDX titles, being a new player and getting in to a situation where you can be diplo-annexed often comes along as either a big surprise game over or by the time you get notified it's going to happen it's far too late, game over.

A large part of that is because the design previously seems to have been done assuming the player is the one doing the annexing, so it doesn't matter, but from the perspective of the player being annexed it is a bad gameplay experience because you can't do poo poo about it most of the time.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

i don't think that's necessarily a given in every case. but it seems to be what vicky 3 is angling for, which is fine if they call it out as such. but some folks like competing with AI vs. just playing in a sandbox

e: that said i think caring about this is dumb lol

You're supposed to be competing with AI peers, not some random minor who can't resist you anyway. That's kind of the geopolitical theme of the period, that you can do whatever you want within your backyard unless someone as powerful as you decides to interfere. I could see the issue if France lets Germany diplo-annex them for no reason.

I'm not really calling you out, just stating that having weak AI nations submit to stronger neighbors isn't contradictory to a competitive setting/game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

Have you played a paradox game before? I'm not trying to be inflammatory but like... thats the point of the AI.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though if you go into the game expecting to get rolled by some German minor state….yeah you probably aren’t going to get that

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Have you played a paradox game before? I'm not trying to be inflammatory but like... thats the point of the AI.

generally they do not allow themselves to be annexed out of the game, and the rare occasions where it's been possible (like in EU4) it's been problematic!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though if you go into the game expecting to get rolled by some German minor state….yeah you probably aren’t going to get that

good thing nobody's talking about that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yes they are. There is literally nothing else it could be.

Do you think a medium or large state will be annexed diplomatically with no fight beforehand?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

generally they do not allow themselves to be annexed out of the game, and the rare occasions where it's been possible (like in EU4) it's been problematic!
Yes they do, its not rare at all, and how is it "problematic"? They are games modeled on real situations that PDX codes into the games because there is historical precedent.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

have you ever played victoria 2

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Or EUIV, or HOI4, or Imperator...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes they do, its not rare at all, and how is it "problematic"? They are games modeled on real situations that PDX codes into the games because there is historical precedent.

eu4's PUs are admittedly too general of a system that causes some deeply ahistorical nonsense like inheriting the entirety of france and nobody giving a poo poo. yeah, yeah, hapsburgs and spain - that was effectively a PU that wasn't integrated and was deliberately dissolved because it was impossible to manage without a highly competent monarch

but that's really the only situation in any paradox game i can think of where you can peacefully annex tags that really shouldn't submit to peaceful annexation

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

victoria 2 is famously a pretty jank game

eu4's PUs are a good point of comparison for a more recent game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You have to put so much work and a crazy amount of luck for a PU to really do anything saying they matter as a negative is insane

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have to put so much work and a crazy amount of luck for a PU to really do anything saying they matter as a negative is insane

yeah leaving something like that up to a bunch of rng and poorly-shown systems is insane. thank you for backing me up, worse CTH

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
two of the worst posters you know going at it? victoria 3 is already delivering the goods

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

One thing I’ve learned reading paradox threads is never ever listen to player suggestions. They are universally terrible and have no interest in actually making a game anyone would want to play

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
There should be a Sunset Invasion-style DLC featuring 19th century Martians.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah, exactly. once you start requiring "players" to ignore the incentives of the game, things start getting weird. it's not ahistorical to have peaceful annexation or unification, but it fits awkwardly into a game where someone, player or AI, is going to be playing an easily-annexed minor

You are a gigantic loving moron, you are describing something that isn't a problem.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Randallteal posted:

An HG Wells / Jules Verne mod would be cool. Just throw in every sci fi trope from that era

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Randallteal posted:

Finally, I can do a megacampaign without touching HoI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fellblade posted:

I don't think it's really an issue for the majority of players, especially not nerds who play enough to post in here, it's a 'problem' for designers.

Anecdotally from a few people I've introduced to various PDX titles, being a new player and getting in to a situation where you can be diplo-annexed often comes along as either a big surprise game over or by the time you get notified it's going to happen it's far too late, game over.

A large part of that is because the design previously seems to have been done assuming the player is the one doing the annexing, so it doesn't matter, but from the perspective of the player being annexed it is a bad gameplay experience because you can't do poo poo about it most of the time.

are you having them start as vassals in eu4 or what? being diplo annexed is not a common thing in pds games at all. it's only possible in like 2 of them anyway