Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Soylent Pudding posted:

Chapter 7: Washing your rear end

We both know that chapter was removed by the editors before publication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Chapter 7: Washing your rear end

I used an out of bounds glitch to skip that whole chapter.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I wonder how many times someone using that list used the phrase "Gotta catth them all"?

I'm also assuming they are marking down when they sleep with a girl so they can figure out the easiest girls and be able to high five a bro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I also assume long-term relationships were discouraged because you’d block your bros from getting that girl

Really just burn down the whole frat system

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

While we're assuming I'm also gonna guess there are columns in that table with headers like 'sucks dick good' or 'does anal' or, because this is a frat after all, 'gets drunk fast and is easier to manipulate'.

Who knows, maybe the worst people ever did limit their creepo spreadsheet to favourite colours and nice date ideas but again, this is a frat lmao

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't think I've ever encountered anything remotely positive about fraternities or sororities, I'm not sure why they exist?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gives failsons and your high school bullies something to do inbetween classes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they also give each other all the useless jobs that fill every office in the country

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best thing you can say about the greek system is that it functions as a sort of premade social life. Going off to college is alienating and here's a group of people ready to get to know you, ensure you have a good time when you're not in class, and help you transition to independent living. It can be better than having all your social ties cut at once and getting thrown in the deep end in a bunch of different ways at once when you aren't even quite an adult yet.

Of course they turn out to have all the problems of every kind of exclusive group identity humanity has ever created.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Aside from all the glaringly horrifying things about this guy's Stalking for Dummies book, like, why is remembering another adult's favorite color so important for dates that you need to start a creep bible about it? I don't think I've known the favorite color of anyone I've ever dated. I don't know if I even have a favorite color.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Liking a single hue exclusively above all others is weird. I have favorite colors, but there's tons of them and often they function in palettes together.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
the best color is that beautiful yellow that you get when someone quotes your dumb poo poo

it's why i don't use dark mode; purple's just not the same

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

the best color is that beautiful yellow that you get when someone quotes your dumb poo poo

Purple's royal. :smaug:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mustang posted:

I don't think I've ever encountered anything remotely positive about fraternities or sororities, I'm not sure why they exist?

If you weren't an Eagle Scout, it's basically another opportunity to participate in something you'll mention to every person you meet for the rest of your life.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Foo Diddley posted:

idiot the purple is better

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for asking my wife's friend who has been staying with us for 6 months to sleep in a bedroom instead of our couch?

Way more going on here than just the couch/bedroom thing, holy moly :stare:

quote:

My wife’s friend moved to our city to go to culinary school. It did not pan out and they are just staying at our house now. I’m not sure what the plan is exactly anymore. They do not pay rent. They do not want to stay in the room because it is the room of my youngest daughter, who is at sleep away camp for 2 weeks.

quote:

I think there are a lot of assumptions that they are a bad house guest. Generally speaking, they are fine. They take out the trash and aren’t messy, don’t leave things around the house. By and large, I barely notice them. I avoid engaging with them because, as I’ve said, we do not get along. But as far as house guests go, they are fine enough. So it never really bothered me, until now. This is the first time I’ve felt displaced in my own home. And they asked me to speak up if I ever felt uncomfortable, so I did. And they flipped out

quote:

They are transgender (or non-binary, I forgot which) (born female). But it’s because they recognise there are biases against both men and women, and swap genders to accommodate whichever advantage they would like.

As an example, on more then one occasion, they have declined to do the dishes because that’s women’s work and they aren’t a woman, while in the same day explained their inability to help work on the she-she’d properly as something I guess only men do and in that… moment… they weren’t a man?

I’m genuinely confused by it most of the time. I don’t like to be dismissive of how someone says they feel, but I feel like this person’s reasons for being trans are not ones that would lend itself to my wife and her friend having any sort of romantic entanglement.

:catstare:

quote:

No, though I get why everyone is going there. It’s hard to explain without telling a very long story. Basically we all belong to a pretty tight knit community. We’ve all known each other for a very long time, and back when my wife’s friend’s husband used to have a good job and be more well off, they would fly my wife out (before her and i met) to the country they were living in, open their home up, etc. my wife’s friend’s husband is not living in our state, and likely won’t. Their whole relationship is a very long story as well.

So my wife really embraced the “in this community, we are family” attitude. I take a bit more of a pragmatic approach, but I knew what I was getting into when I got married.

So I’m confident that this whole situation has arose because of a codependent friendship built upon an emotionally broken community, not a romantic entanglement.

Also, I work from home and I am literally always here, except the hour a day I take my dog to the dog park.

:wtf:

quote:

The she shed has been planned for a while. I’m building it for my wife now. We’ve had no discussions of moving out, though I’ll plan to have that talk here soon.

And a few people have expressed that there could be a romantic relationship. I genuinely don’t see it. It’s hard to describe this person, but I’ll try.

:laffo: Your wife's mentally ill fake trans friend is never leaving.... have fun being the third wheel in your own marriage, loser! Wonder if said friend moving in has something to do with their "husband", either with finances or the trans situation :magemage:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Purple's royal. :smaug:

OPAONI posted:

idiot the purple is better

is this gonna be like a greenpos/amberpos thing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

is this gonna be like a greenpos/amberpos thing

In that different people will use different setups and the world will keep on revolving and orbiting? Probably.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Way more going on here than just the couch/bedroom thing, holy moly :stare:

I saw the comment about the shack he's building, but not the other stuff. Definitely a whole lot of :catstare: going on

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you weren't an Eagle Scout, it's basically another opportunity to participate in something you'll mention to every person you meet for the rest of your life.

Funnily enough, I am an Eagle Scout..... rarely comes up in conversation though.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

haveblue posted:

Fratboy used Neg! It wasn't very effective...

lol I forgot all about that PUA bullshit. Is negging still a thing in real life?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my wife she wasn’t trying hard enough?

quote:

My wife and I have been married for almost a year. Throughout our marriage an ongoing issue has been that my mom and my wife do not get along. For months my mom has been posting about my wife online. Soon after all of this began my wife went no contact which I reluctantly supported. Numerous times I attempted to persuade my wife into joining a three way call that way her and my mom could hash things out. Each time she refused stating she was not emotionally ready or comfortable to talk with my mom and that we should look into marriage counseling. Damage had been done in our marriage due to my mom on numerous occasions trying to persuade me to move on in my life so I did go no contact recently as well.

The other day my wife sent me a screenshot of a text she had gotten from an unknown number and she was frantic worried it was her dad. Apparently my mom and her dad have abusive traits and after being no contact with her dad for 4 years, my wife was convinced it was her dad who had found her. Turns out the text was from my mom. My wife was under the impression my mom was still blocked but blocked numbers did not transfer to my wife’s new phone. Immediately my wife told me the text sounded manipulative and upon reading I disagreed. My mom wants to meet us both this weekend in public to hash things out and go over what the truth is. I’ve seen the things my mom has openly posted publicly about my wife and they are out of line and lies. But my mom still says her words are twisted which I believe.

I told my wife that she was not trying to repair the relationship and that she should appreciate my mom reaching out and wanting to fix family ties. My wife told me that her reply to my mom will be respectful but that she would like an apology before even considering meeting this weekend. I have known this for months and support my wife, but my mom is trying to fix wrongdoing. The least my wife can do is meet with her this weekend and if things go south we can get up and leave.

Apparently after my wife and I finished talking her and my mom texted further and my wife claims she was being gaslit and manipulated. My mom supposedly said, “I am sorry you feel that my actions hurt you”. This is always how my mom has apologized and it is sincere. It reached a point in the evening that I told my wife I would see my mom whether she attends this lunch with me or not and that my wife should not be prioritizing how she feels about my mom. I told her that she should be thinking of my feelings and that by not going she is showing how little she cares about me. I told her she was not trying hard enough to fix her relationship with my mom. These past two days my wife has told me I am not supporting her boundaries and that I’ve hurt her feelings.

AITA?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

“I am sorry you feel that my actions hurt you”. This is always how my mom has apologized and it is sincere.

:raise:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And none of them told you what a hosed up idea this is?

Ah. Never mind, then.

I had skipped most of the post, but uuuuuugggh sharing it makes it 1000x worse. Like, I have a hard time with names and faces and I have trouble remembering stuff from small talk, even when I want to remember. I've absolutely taken notes like

Janet:
Tall, shoulder length blond hair, green glasses
Old friend of Bridgit's
Really likes star wars

But that's me, a faceblind ADHD person taking personal private notes to supplement my memory about acquaintances. People in that zone where you've met them a couple times at parties, you're expected to remember their names and basic stuff, but you're not friends directly.

I'm not sharing a loving dossier of stalked info with a bunch of other people. Jesus Christ that's messed up.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

My dad used to apologize that way. "I'm sorry you feel that way" or some poo poo

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

Looks like gaslighting and manipulation run in the family

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm not sharing a loving dossier of stalked info with a bunch of other people. Jesus Christ that's messed up.

What do you mean you don't like being in a group Hoe-A-Dex ? We're just trying to impress you so you'll sleep with us !

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

Why do these fucks always bring up the "truth"

"The truth of the matter"

"I speak my truths"

Man gently caress that

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mustang posted:

Funnily enough, I am an Eagle Scout..... rarely comes up in conversation though.

:discourse:

well done

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

holtemon posted:

lol I forgot all about that PUA bullshit. Is negging still a thing in real life?

Demonstrably, if you've been following the thread

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

This is how the terrible people in my family try to get around apologizing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Lobe posted:

Demonstrably, if you've been following the thread

A lot of the organized PUA world has been subsumed into the umbrella alt-right now. They don't have to pretend they don't have terrible views on women deep down any more

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

quantumwell posted:

What do you mean you don't like being in a group Hoe-A-Dex ? We're just trying to impress you so you'll sleep with us !

My "I don't use the gently caress-a-dex for sex" t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by my t-shirt.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

I’ve seen the things my mom has openly posted publicly about my wife and they are out of line and lies. But my mom still says her words are twisted which I believe.

Wait, what?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unkempt posted:

Wait, what?

I think he’s saying what she posted is accurate, but what she says in person are twisted

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I’ve seen the things my mom has openly posted publicly about my wife and they are out of line and lies. But my mom still says her words are twisted which I believe.

How? How does he write these 2 sentences and not realize they are contradictory? How does his brain not :psyboom:?

Edit:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think he’s saying what she posted is accurate, but what she says in person are twisted

My read is he knows what she is posting online are flat out lies but when confronted his mom says her words in her posts are being twisted to make her look like she is lying by his wife. Somehow he believes both to be true.

Edit 2:

Foo Diddley posted:

You're welcome for the dopamine hit.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 30, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for asking my roomate to stop speaking Arabic?

quote:

I (F24) have two roommates, let’s call them Sarah and Jane. Sarah is a Muslim (and I mean very Muslim) and she often speaks Arabic in our apartment when she’s on the phone with her family. Now, this obviously isn’t ideal, but I make do since we’re trying to keep it civil.

My parents came up from Georgia to visit me for a few days, so they were staying in our guest room. They didn’t know beforehand that Sarah was Muslim, so they were a bit concerned for me and shocked, but I was able to calm them down. Unfortunately, they still are bothered by one thing— when Sarah speaks Arabic on the phone. My mother said it disturbs her especially.

Now I know I can’t tell Sarah to stop doing things like wearing her hijab, but I thought it was a reasonable request to ask her to not speak in Arabic on the phone just for a few days while my parents were visiting. I explained to her how it makes them uncomfortable, but she got super offended and called them all sorts of “racist” and “Islamophobic” and what not. I thought this was insulting and uncalled for, but Jane took Sarah’s side too. So, AITA?

What isn't "ideal" about Sarah speaking Arabic with her folks, OP? What does speaking Arabic have to do with her being "very Muslim"? I think the racism and Islamophobia didn't start with your parents coming up from Georgia.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Reminds me of the Obama thing

Muslim? As all hell

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for asking my roomate to stop speaking Arabic?

What isn't "ideal" about Sarah speaking Arabic with her folks, OP? What does speaking Arabic have to do with her being "very Muslim"? I think the racism and Islamophobia didn't start with your parents coming up from Georgia.

OP posted:

Personally, I find her extreme cultural and religious engagement uncomfortable, but I don’t tell her what to do. This is literally the one time I asked her to compromise, and she blew up at me (lol pun not intended) about it.

no, no, OP isn't racist at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I explained to her how it makes them uncomfortable, but she got super offended and called them all sorts of “racist” and “Islamophobic” and what not.

Maybe she should try to explain why it makes them uncomfortable without resorting to racism.