Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

Let’s be real here, the Abrams is a super heavy tank and cannot cross any bridge in the USA without it collapsing.

Thats probably more an effect of how they're not maintained more than the weight of the Abrams

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pentagon Wars sequel lookin' good

Isn't this going on with the Bradley replacement right now anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

finally, a reliable m4-patterned rifle

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

"On sale: Authentic M4. Only shot twice." -Ernest Hemingway

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Let’s be real here, the Abrams is a super heavy tank and cannot cross any bridge in the USA without it collapsing.

Fat American hamburger tank

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

$20m dollars per tank for a light tank. And that’s before the inevitable overruns

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
a quick googling shows a t80 and t90 to be in the very rough $3M range

fancy pants t14 is closer to $4M

im sure its 4-6 times better lmao

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/30/politics/us-hypersonic-missile-test-fails/index.html

quote:

cnn.com
Latest US hypersonic test fails after 'anomaly' during first full flight test
Oren Liebermann, CNN
3-4 minutes

(CNN)The latest test of a US hypersonic weapon failed after an "anomaly" occurred during the first test of the full system, the Pentagon said Thursday.

The test, carried out at the Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii, was supposed to launch the Common Hypersonic Glide Body atop a two-stage missile booster. The booster is designed to launch the system and accelerate it to hypersonic speeds in excess of Mach 5, at which point the glide body detaches and uses its speed to reach the target. It was the first time the entire system was tested, called an All Up Round test.

The anomaly prevented the Defense Department from completing the entire test, but the Pentagon said it was not a complete failure.

"While the Department was unable to collect data on the entirety of the planned flight profile, the information gathered from this event will provide vital insights," said Pentagon spokesman Lt. Cdr. Tim Gorman in a statement. Gorman did not provide any additional details on the nature of the anomaly or at what stage of the test it occurred.

Program officials will review the test to find out what failed and to inform future tests, Gorman said.

"Delivering hypersonic weapons remains a top priority and the Department remains confident that it is on track to field offensive and defensive hypersonic capabilities on target dates beginning in the early 2020s," Gorman said.

The Pentagon has placed an increased emphasis on hypersonic weapons development after lawmakers became concerned that the US was falling behind the Chinese and Russian programs. Last year, China successfully tested a hypersonic weapon that orbited the globe before hitting its target. More recently, Russia became the first nation ever to use hypersonic weapons in war when it launched its Iskander and Kinzhal missiles at Ukraine.

The failure, first reported by Bloomberg, is another setback for the US in the race to develop and field hypersonic weapons, though the US has carried out successful tests of other hypersonic programs.

The previous test of the Common Hypersonic Glide Body, a joint venture between the Navy and Army, also ended prematurely when the booster rocket failed. Without the booster rocket, the Pentagon could not proceed with a test of the Common Hypersonic Glide Body.

That test, which was carried out in October at the Pacific Spaceport Complex in Alaska, did not use the two-stage missile booster that is designed to be a part of the system. Instead, it used a different booster, but the failure meant the test did not provide data about the Common Hypersonic Glide Body, the key component needed to develop a hypersonic weapon

In May, the Air Force successfully carried out a test of its Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW). Brig. Gen. Heath Collins, the Air Force's Program executive officer for weapons, said it was a "major accomplishment" for the service.

The ARRW program had suffered a series of its own setbacks and delays during development, including three flight test failures before the most recent success.

In March, the Pentagon successfully tested the Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapon Concept (HAWC), but kept the test quiet for two weeks to avoid escalating tension with Russia as President Joe Biden was about to travel to Europe.

womp womp

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

womp womp

maybe should they the MIC guys more

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The army is lowering recruitment standards. When Russia did this recently it meant they were in deep trouble.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...GqEcWb2PBo59yyw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They have been trying to get a new light tank since the 70’s, I’m a bit surprised they got it through this time.

Is it one of the existing designs that have been kicking around since the Sheridan retired, or all new?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

They have been trying to get a new light tank since the 70’s, I’m a bit surprised they got it through this time.

Is it one of the existing designs that have been kicking around since the Sheridan retired, or all new?

they put a modernized abrams turret on top of this:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a37093035/british-armored-vehicle-making-soldiers-sick-problems/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol jfc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shaken Troop Syndrome

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

SIDS (sudden infantry death syndrome)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I love the power these companies have.

British army - 'these vehicles you sold us are hosed'
GD - 'nah'

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Regarde Aduck posted:

I love the power these companies have.

British army - 'these vehicles you sold us are hosed'
GD - 'nah'

deindustrialization working as intended

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

China has had an operational hypersonic weapon in that same class since 2019. But we still have better technology right guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-ZF

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cat botherer posted:

China has had an operational hypersonic weapon in that same class since 2019. But we still have better technology right guys?

they stole the tech from the US through Huawei's time travel technology

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i dont understand why its strategically necessary for us to have a hypersonic weapon. it was built to get passed OUR missile defense system.
(i know its politically/economically "necessary")

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

We probably already have a Mastersonic weapon that can catch anything and beat all defenses but they are super limited so you better shoot Mewtwo with it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Real hurthling! posted:

i dont understand why its strategically necessary for us to have a hypersonic weapon. it was built to get passed OUR missile defense system.
Sounds like you answered your own question there.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Palladium posted:

deindustrialization working as intended

A lot of it has to do with the privatization of state arsenals and military procurement. I posted about it in the Ukraine thread, but the Brits gutted their civil service and replaced them with McKinsey consultants. They also reduced and partially privatized the Army offices responsible for procurement. As a result, they have hardly any influence on the purchasing process, and as the industries are all privatized, are not able to shape designs to their needs. With no competition, they also essentially have to buy what’s being offered, not only for lack of alternatives but also because GD and BAE are very, very savvy about running to the British tabloid press about how many British Jobs :britain: will be lost if they don’t sign off on the latest lemon.

I can look for the passage because this is 1:1 a result of neoliberalism and got out of control under Thatcher. The SA 80 was the first product of the privatized defence industry, and the build quality was lovely in large part because of the closure of the unionized, state owned arsenal that used craftsmen on scholarships and apprenticeships instead of lower paid assembly line workers from a poorer part of England, at lower wages.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I tried to find in vehicle videos of the Ajax while in motion but came up with nothing, is it just a really lovely suspension?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

they stole the tech from the US through Huawei's time travel technology

The North Koreans are developing a system too... everyone has got time machines now.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I tried to find in vehicle videos of the Ajax while in motion but came up with nothing, is it just a really lovely suspension?

Yeah videos exist out there, but the issue is the weight. It is way too heavy (probably due to the significant armor/large turret) for its suspension. In addition, the headroom inside isn't enough for average soldiers, so they would have to make it even heavier if they wanted troops to actually use it.

Basically, there was no one that said "hold up we can't just keep on adding armor to this thing."

----

Also, they were going cost 8-9 million each, compared to a $300,000 BTR-82A.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Jul 1, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Austal seems like a great and competent company.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/pacific-screw-up-race-to-repair-faulty-boats-gifted-by-australia-20220630-p5axzc

quote:

Fury after Australia gifted Pacific nations faulty boats​
Andrew Tillett Political correspondent

Jul 1, 2022 – 5.00am

Several major design and construction flaws have been identified among a fleet of patrol boats gifted to Pacific nations by Australia, including poisonous carbon monoxide being pumped into the ship, forcing limits on their operation.

The faults have triggered an urgent dash to Pacific nations by Defence Department officials and engineers from shipbuilder Austal to assess the boats and come up with repairs.

The $2.1 billion program to gift 22 Guardian class patrol boats to Pacific nations was a key plank of the Coalition government’s Pacific Step Up initiative to build security ties with the region and counter China’s efforts to grow influence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Russia and China both have missile defense systems, so if we want to be able to threaten to kill millions in a first strike, we need fancier toys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_defense_systems_by_country

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Russia and China both have missile defense systems, so if we want to be able to threaten to kill millions in a first strike, we need fancier toys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_defense_systems_by_country

I like how russia used their single allowed missle defense system to protect Moscow, and the USA used theirs to protect a fallout shelter for government officials

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are the exoatmospheric defense systems especially effective? seems like one of those things that looks good on paper or in a controlled test but would be hard tasked in a live war

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ardennes posted:

Yeah videos exist out there, but the issue is the weight. It is way too heavy (probably due to the significant armor/large turret) for its suspension. In addition, the headroom inside isn't enough for average soldiers, so they would have to make it even heavier if they wanted troops to actually use it.

Basically, there was no one that said "hold up we can't just keep on adding armor to this thing."

----

Also, they were going cost 8-9 million each, compared to a $300,000 BTR-82A.

Pentagon Wars Part 2: Grift Harder

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

are the exoatmospheric defense systems especially effective? seems like one of those things that looks good on paper or in a controlled test but would be hard tasked in a live war

i imagine the nuclear ones are fairly effective

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this reminded me we spent billions trying to put massive linear accelerators into space, the internal propaganda about included a top secret video narrated by Charlton Heston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm6B3edLyec

and every time a needed improvement is mentioned in this video, the actually improvement is for multiple orders of magnitude. so they needed to make every single part 10x better for the basic design to work lol.

Weka
May 5, 2019

cat botherer posted:

America had the hypersonic Pershing II in the eighties. America is worse at making weapons than it was 40 years ago.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Weka posted:

America had the hypersonic Pershing II in the eighties. America is worse at making weapons than it was 40 years ago.

yeah and all the space shuttles have either blown up or been retired too

america's died and all the remaining assets are up for sale

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Admittedly, Pershing 2 was an intermediate ballistic missile, contemporary Russian/Chinese missiles are a lot more advanced but yeah we don’t even produce those any more.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, Pershing 2 was an intermediate ballistic missile, contemporary Russian/Chinese missiles are a lot more advanced but yeah we don’t even produce those any more.

You don't need Pershings to bomb brown people hospitals, too much collateral damage

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1543036857172238338

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That is a bold statement, those are mostly 1980s era wrecks and the Taliban has been parading around captured American vehicles after the war.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:26 on Jul 2, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I'm sure putting applique armor and a 120mm smooth bore on top fixed this

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
there's also no war anymore so I'm guessing they have better things to spend their limited resources on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm sure putting applique armor and a 120mm smooth bore on top fixed this

Yeah it is unclear how this thing is supposed to work out. I don’t know how light tanks are suppose to work with US doctrine since these things are going to be too heavy to airdrop, too lightly armored for a peer conflict, and too much for low intensity.

(Any relatively modern ATGM can take it out, there is no way to properly armor it considering its size/weight.)