Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Got my copy of Stars of Akarios yesterday and it looks pretty good! The ship models are pretty nice, and I'm really digging the double layered player boards. Biggest complaint is that there's no way you'd be able to sleeve all the cards and fit them in the GameTrayz(tm), but that's pretty true of lots of games that use them and I guess it's the tradeoff for not needing to buy a separate organizer in many cases.

It's kind of "Gloomhaven in Space" but with fairly different combat, using dice to determine available actions instead of picking cards from your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Vidmaster posted:

Got my copy of Stars of Akarios yesterday and it looks pretty good! The ship models are pretty nice, and I'm really digging the double layered player boards. Biggest complaint is that there's no way you'd be able to sleeve all the cards and fit them in the GameTrayz(tm), but that's pretty true of lots of games that use them and I guess it's the tradeoff for not needing to buy a separate organizer in many cases.

It's kind of "Gloomhaven in Space" but with fairly different combat, using dice to determine available actions instead of picking cards from your hand.

Got mine this week and had the same thoughts. I haven't played it yet, but hopefully I'll get into it soon. Sleeving this would be impossible without some custom inserts, and even then would result in some lid lift.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Got my copy of SoA last saturday as well and I instantly regretted not backing at a higher level to get all the miniatures. *sigh*

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Odd question, but did anyone's Kickstarter Activity feed stop updating today? I keep getting new email notifications from other project's updates, but I checked the app and on the web and the last activity in the feed is from 7am this morning.

Yeah, same thing on my end. Dunno what's causing it. Are your email notifications showing new updates that aren't showing up under the activity section? Or are the email notifications just notifying you of updates you've already seen?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Stars of Akarios - most of the cards in the game seem like they're just for either building landscapes or slotting into player boards, so you can get away with not sleeving those.

If you sleeve up your modifier decks you can just about get them in your player trays. Same is true of the basic 20 card enemy modifier deck which will just about fit with the others in the main card tray.

I have the unlockable/extra modifier cards unsleeved for now, with a plan to just sleeve/unsleeve as and when they enter or leave my deck.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, same thing on my end. Dunno what's causing it. Are your email notifications showing new updates that aren't showing up under the activity section? Or are the email notifications just notifying you of updates you've already seen?
The email notifications are all the new updates for all the projects I’ve backed that happened over the weekend since 6:57am Friday. They just no longer show up in the Activity Feed in app or on the website. I asked on the Kickstarter reddit as well and at least 2 other people are experiencing it too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kickstarte...utm_name=iossmf

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Blockchain working as intended!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Stars of Akarios chat:

I got mine Friday and played through the prologue solo over the weekend (controlling 2 ships/characters). It's definitely a fun game, Gloomhaven-ish with several modifications that make the combats much quicker without making them any easier. I lost one of the prologue scenarios outright and have gotten into trouble several times. I do think some of the fights aren't well-balanced for every player count, though. The one I lost was definitely at its hardest with 2 players, and I've encountered another that would be absolutely brutal in 1 player and super easy in 4 players. That said, the consequences for failure aren't too rough (usually either getting less money or not getting a pilot upgrade point) and there's a built-in rubberband mechanic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

Offloading manufacturing to the consumer is a win for everybody. I pay substantially less than I would for a pre-made figure, the designer gets to pock more of it and sell the design forever without worrying about stock levels or storage.

If said consumer has a 3d printer.

People hardly even have paper printers anymore.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

just use your 3d printer to print a paper printer easy as

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The customer can't see their pile of shame if it's all STLs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just heard that the 2009 board game Revolution! is being reprinted and re-themed as Pathfinder Revolution via crowdfunding. I admit, this version looks... kinda like a side-grade more than an upgrade. (The marketing copy isn't on BGG yet, I was sent it by a friend who is on some SJG mailing list.) The original presentation is very plain but simple, but what I can see it looks pretty messy outside of the cover. I believe it's been out of print for a long while now.

For the uninitiated, Revolution is a blind bidding area majority game. There are important people in town and you are trying to influence them to gain control of parts of town, or just broadly gain support. You do this by secretly bidding for these people with three resources of increasing power: gold, blackmail and force. Players simultaneously reveal and the person who made the best offer gets the benefit while all other bids are lost. So, if you give someone 3 gold, but someone else blackmails them, that 3 gold is still spent. If your opponent blackmails someone and you applies force, well it turns out that violence is the answer. Some of the spaces also gain you some of these resources on top of control and support, but you get at least 5 tokens each round to bid with, filling the rest with gold. If you have 1 force, you get 4 gold, but if you had 7 gold, you do not gain any more. Obviously, what resources your opponents have are very important to planning out your moves. The final interesting twist is that some spaces immune to force, blackmail or both; the general can't be pushed around because he has a literal army on his side. Of course, everyone accepts gold. It's shiny. You play until all the spaces in town are full and see who has the most support to have the successful revolution.

It's light, it's random, it's silly, it's painful. Sometimes, you and an opponent both bid exactly 1 Blackmail and 3 gold and you both get nothing. I have enjoyed it ever since playing it.

Unfortunately, it is on Kickstarter, rather than one of the many illustrious non-fucker competitors, so it might be better to wait for retail release, assuming it will have one. Still, I figured someone in this thread might want to know about it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have always wanted a better printing of Revolution!, but this isn’t the angle I would have gone. I want Cole Werle to do graphic direction and be grounded in a real revolution I think.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

evil stevie betraying his one true tabletop system :eng99:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

djfooboo posted:

I have always wanted a better printing of Revolution!, but this isn’t the angle I would have gone. I want Cole Werle to do graphic direction and be grounded in a real revolution I think.

I don't know, I feel like different factions in reality would have necessarily different abilities to vie for control, particularly since one faction is typically the current ruling class. Whereas blind bidding kind of relies everyone to start on a similar foothold, even if they gain or lose advantage over the rounds. But this talk is probably more appropriate for this thread.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

JazzFlight posted:

I was so close to going in on the Ankermake 3D printer last month, had an early bird reserved and all, but just really didn’t know where I’d keep the thing in my house. The only spot i could think of was my garage, but it’s not temperature controlled. Didn’t want to worry about a noisy, hot piece of equipment running for like 8 hours.

I love the concept of 3D printing, I’m really just waiting for the mainstream model to finally come out.

Slight derail but I don’t think 3D printers will get any simpler or mainstream for a while.

If not for having to handle the resin, resin printers are so much closer to an easy consumer product than filament printers. I have the very rare issue on my Saturn that I can generally troubleshoot in a few minutes and one failed print then it prints perfect for at least a month. With the Wash and Cure, and magnetic plate, and some of the mini filtering units on the printer itself, the odor is gone and cleaning and curing is dead simple. Now the cost on all that is a little high and requires a small amount of training but it’s very close. I think Anycubic and Elegoo resin printers are about as simple as resin can get for the cost.

My filament printer drives me nuts regularly and takes substantially longer to align and troubleshoot. This is probably because I bought an ender kit which is affordable but not consistently machined as something like a Prusa and doesn’t have the same simplified alignment and troubleshooting. Prusa is probably the closest to a simple mainstream product and what I’ll replace my current printer with after I move. Prusa definitely isn’t cheap though.

I don’t know if we will see a mainstream 3D printer as user friendly as the Prusa for a lower cost. If you look at a similar hobby market that has been around longer (laser engraving), the user friendly options (Glowforge, Flux, etc) substantially more expensive than either economy or even entry professional models and have much less flexibility and space. If there was a super simple filament printer released for the average person, it would probably be around $700-$1000 and have a really small bed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interestingly Buttonshy are doing their next reprint campaign on Gamefound.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That makes a lot of sense. They seem to have a really loyal customer base that snaps up every game, and will follow them over. Getting these sorts of campaigns onto the other platforms should really help bring eyes onto the other campaigns there, which is progress towards chipping away at Kickstarter's biggest advantage.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly Buttonshy are doing their next reprint campaign on Gamefound.

And it seems possible this is driven by the move to embrace the blockchain, at least in part. They don't make it too explicit, but they lament their dependence on KS. In the intervening 6 months or so, it seems they discovered they were less dependent than they thought.

God, this story never not make me :sickos: Kickstarter had a de facto monopoly and a captive consumer base. To which they said "No, thank you. Shittons of money for doing essentially loving nothing isn't enough. Being a platform as a service isn't sufficiently parasitic enough for my tastes, since it could potentially misconstrued as actually providing something. I'm hoping to engage in some serious rent-seeking behavior."

Here is the Button Shy campaign for those interested. If I'd have known this was happening I might have gone in on it but I just ordered a few games from them directly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, Buttonshy are doing just fine.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Magnetic North posted:

God, this story never not make me :sickos: Kickstarter had a de facto monopoly and a captive consumer base. To which they said "No, thank you. Shittons of money for doing essentially loving nothing isn't enough. Being a platform as a service isn't sufficiently parasitic enough for my tastes, since it could potentially misconstrued as actually providing something. I'm hoping to engage in some serious rent-seeking behavior."

100% this and I would not have expected board games (and related) to be the major driving force away from KS but I'm glad of it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Looks like I finally got taken by a Kickstarter. The dungeon master's deck kickstarter is not responding to any emails or Kickstarter messages, so that's some money down the drain.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go To The Ghost Town arrived, and all the components are pretty great. Looking forward to getting this little oddity to the table.

BoardGameTables.Com are 2/2 for me on great quality items delivered on time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jarvisi posted:

Looks like I finally got taken by a Kickstarter. The dungeon master's deck kickstarter is not responding to any emails or Kickstarter messages, so that's some money down the drain.
Yikes, that sucks. I actually got my copy (in US).
Is this all the international pledges? Maybe they couldn't afford shipping overseas and gave up?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Jarvisi posted:

They updated 2 days ago. They're doing refunds for international customers.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

My copy of Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go To The Ghost Town arrived, and all the components are pretty great. Looking forward to getting this little oddity to the table.

BoardGameTables.Com are 2/2 for me on great quality items delivered on time.

I've been waiting for my copy to come in, it looks super cute.

My copy of marvel dice throne showed up the other day, apparently whatever mailed they have for tracking numbers broke. I really like how everything fits in the box.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azubah posted:

My copy of marvel dice throne showed up the other day, apparently whatever mailed they have for tracking numbers broke. I really like how everything fits in the box.
Mine is coming tomorrow per UPS.

Roxley has amazing production values. And yeah Dice Throne storage is drat near perfect.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ego Trip posted:

What's tough right now is that I (and many other people) can't see Kickstarter updates on our activity feed on the web or in-app, so I totally missed it.
I only still get the email notifications, but I guess I didn't check all of them carefully. I usually rely on the app.

It's been a full week and Kickstarter still hasn't fixed it yet.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The block chain hasn't caught up with all the new updates on various campaigns.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Ego Trip posted:

That's cool but I'm also domestic

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

People are ripshit apparently about the Witcher Old World mini quality:

https://mega.nz/folder/J5MmgIyR#nhCUZPhzIqnXMZzJpl6yxw

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are they all just dipped in black wash? The pooling on some of those human models is galling.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

JazzFlight posted:

What's tough right now is that I (and many other people) can't see Kickstarter updates on our activity feed on the web or in-app, so I totally missed it.
I only still get the email notifications, but I guess I didn't check all of them carefully. I usually rely on the app.

It's been a full week and Kickstarter still hasn't fixed it yet.

I only knew because I read about it going dark here and wanted to see who made it because I thought it was a goon.

Jarvisi posted:

Sorry friend. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jarvisi posted:

Hi that's me. Did you fill out a shipping survey? We sent all domestics out months ago except for ~25 that we don't have addresses for and we messaged those. Where did you send a message? Feel free to PM me here and I'll get you sorted.

And yeah for those curious, international quotes went from <20 average cost to over 47 after our original fulfillment provider told us they could no longer do international shipping. We'll eat some fees refunding but we're not leaving anyone on the hook.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 30, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
To update this, we did indeed send them their deck and the tracking shows delivered, but they didn't receive it so we're sending out another to them.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Holy goddamn gently caress the comments, I don't understand how anyone can handle running a crowdfunder.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I don't think the miniatures really look that bad, details tend to be on the softer/muddy side, but the wash is really hit or miss. Also, kind of inconsistent, some monsters have really strong dark contrast, others are much more subtle. I think the comments calling for refunds are a bit extreme (but to each their own), but I feel sorry for the guys in the comments saying they paid $50+ extra to get the shading. You could just buy a can of dip wash and probably get the same result.

I don't understand the Big Box pics. I can't tell if they're stacking two boxes on top of each other, or one big box that can... split into two small boxes, with the same face art I guess?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 30, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The quality is OK? but not great like GW or other vendors. There's certainly a substantial amount of detail that could be on the minis that just isn't. I expected better but that wash is godawful.

Looks like they didn't even bother to prime it and just kept washing it until it started to pool really weird

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The casting quality looks pretty similar to Awaken Realms, which I find pretty unimpressive but seems to be fine with most kickstarter backers. The sculpts themselves are fairly boring, but that's pretty common for videogame models that have been directly adapted to miniatures.

That wash is just atrocious though. I'm not sure why they decided that was better than just showing the bare minis. They'd probably look fine if they had done a decent zenithal prime instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That’s really bad. The sculpts are very mediocre and the casting isn’t good either. Add the wash on top and it looks like a bad 3D printer accident. So glad I dodged that bullet.

Edit: Looking a more pictures, that shade is just soooo bad. Just looks splotchy on some models.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 1, 2022