Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was constantly moving between countries growing up, so I second guess my pronunciation of every other word. Pairs great with my general social anxieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Well je suis la jeune fille to that u muzzy motherfucker

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

just start yelling "Worldstar" but stop after the first syllable

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is no L sound. Stock and stalk are homophones.

Lmao no they aren’t you dumb dumb

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao no they aren’t you dumb dumb

phew, I'm on the right side of history (opposite Bust Rodd's assertions)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
People from Massachusetts pronounce water "wourder" and just, Christ, what a bunch of assholes.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i cant remember if i said this before but i hate these loving fluff articles from fringe actors where they are like oh man i'd love to revisit my character from insert popular series/movie here. no poo poo they want to. they want to work and they want money. who the gently caress is writing these articles? remember that side character from breaking bad?? HE WOULD LOVE TO RETURN TO THE SHOW. hay den christianson loves DARTH VADER!!!! OF COURSE HE FUCKIN DOES HE CANT GET ANY OTHER WORK.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
don't hate the vader, hate the game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That DICK! posted:

Well je suis la jeune fille to that u muzzy motherfucker

From what i gather from the internet the french REALLY hate him

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You just say "worrrdd" slowly and people will guess you are saying "world" based on the context of the sentence.

English is a terrible language.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

s'il vous plaît monsieur puis-je avoir de la cummies

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

From what i gather from the internet the french REALLY hate him

"Him" meaning bathing and not talking like you're chewing a mouthful of dry bread

gottem

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021
Look I’m not racist or anything but would you really trust a group of people who laugh like “hon hon hon”?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Exactly, it's actually perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpkhX85yf0&t=947s

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I am extremely racist, but only against white people who talk stupid (England, France, Massachusetts, and Alberta, Canada).

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

WampaLord posted:

Does the phrase "left on the editing room floor" even mean anything anymore in a world where most stuff is digital? "Deleted from the editing computer" doesn't have the same ring to it.

"Uploaded to Vimeo and emailed to the producers as evidence the director has a soft skull" is the modern equivalent

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"evaporated from the cloud"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

do the loving accent dummy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x_gQTFEcSY

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mozi posted:

"evaporated from the cloud"

:hmmyes:

not bad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Found a copy of this movie at the city dump.
https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15014&display_set=eng

it's in pretty good condition, externally, but I don't think I'll be able to find a vcr to try it. probably just gonna send it to the boys.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 1, 2022

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
were you just rooting around in the city dump?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the dump had a shed for electronics recycling and the vhs was sitting there, on a beam against the wall. maybe someone at the dump will get mad i stole their vhs, but gently caress em. the perfect crime.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Flinger posted:

"world" is the most anxiety causing word for my esl mouth. Do I roll the r? Is the l silent? Where is my tongue supposed to be in???
there's a lot of issues with r's in general, because there are a lot of ways to make the r sound that are "allophonic" in some languages (meaning native speakers "hear" them as the same sound, even though they're actually distinct sounds) but aren't in other languages

you definitely don't roll the r in "world", it's not a trill

in general american english the or part is a "rhotacized open-mid central unrounded vowel".... mmm actually this probably isn't going to be very helpful

okay, so
one of the main tricky things is what's called "retroflex", which is when the tip of your tongue is pointing backwards in your mouth. some people are going to naturally do this to form both their r's and l's, some people are not going to naturally do it with either r's or l's, and some people are going to do it with one sound and not the other, and that might be what trips you up. it's hard to move from one to the other- you kind of have to futz a bit and trust that it'll "sound right" even if it's not the natural way you would form one of the sounds
if you can move your tongue so that it's near (but not touching (and not close enough to be vibrating with the passage of air)) the middle of the roof of your mouth, with your lips relaxed and open, that's the r we're looking for. you can do this with the tip of your tongue but the middle is probably better
and the l is having your tongue touch the front of the roof of your mouth (but never completely obstructing airflow), and the tricky bit there is that in some languages you don't normally move the tongue forward and downward when you do that, you move it upward and backward. for "world" you have to move it forward and down so it can flow naturally out of the r sound
if you can move from the first position to the second positive in one smooth motion, that's how americans pronounce the rl part
and from there it's a pretty ordinary d sound (tongue goes in the same place as l but the tongue completely obstructs airflow for a moment)
(optionally, parts of america add a schwa between the r and l to make it easier to pronounce. worəld. it sounds kind of goofy, like paul lynde or dog from catdog, but it's common enough to be valid)

if it's british english you want, that's actually insanely easy, they just don't pronounce the r at all. they're just dragging out the vowel sound for slightly longer. :shrug:

Cubone fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 1, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1542661336324198400?s=21&t=ky8XRZKEj4nh-zYxEzCJsQ

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still haven't seen the last one, but when they brought up the force library I legit laughed out loud, jfc.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

As someone from Philly, the gorgeous, friendly and immaculately clean city of brotherly love, I grew up pronouncing every word by substituting each vowel with a hard “a”, as god and Ben Franklin intended.

The true pronunciation of “stalker” is staahl-ker

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 1, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[extremely New Jersey trash voice]

Stacker

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

colonelwest posted:

The true pronunciation of “stalker” is staahl-ker

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

imagine being one of the turbo-online writers for The Boys and being so glad that Kojima likes your work but there is absolutely no possible way to describe this to someone without sounding insane

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did he rape her though? He cleansed her mind of Farouk's influence then later that night they banged.
I know the Incredibles touched on superhero liability and insurance, but a super hero Law and Order would be interesting.

the text of the show says he raped her , the characters say and act as tho david is a dangerous rapist, the plot of the third season is david doing time travel to prevent having become a rapist.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

the balm, the hiroshima balm

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Jon Irenicus posted:

imagine being one of the turbo-online writers for The Boys and being so glad that Kojima likes your work but there is absolutely no possible way to describe this to someone without sounding insane

I feel like "The guy who makes the best video games of all time said he loves the show I write for!" would get it across pretty well.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I just want to know how to make "star" and "war" rhyme with each other

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mozi posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gripweed posted:

I feel like "The guy who makes the best video games of all time said he loves the show I write for!" would get it across pretty well.

When did John Romero post about The Boys ?

Mozi posted:

more like Dork Vader

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021
Gameplay wise mgsv is the greatest game ever made

I won’t really defend anything else about it tho

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
[Robert Pattinson in the lighthouse] tawm, you dawg!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Usu Kai Ken posted:

The Paz storyline was pretty good.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Usu Kai Ken posted:

It had great trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

jsoh posted:

the text of the show says he raped her , the characters say and act as tho david is a dangerous rapist, the plot of the third season is david doing time travel to prevent having become a rapist.

syd used her shapeshifting powers to deception rape her mom's boyfriend and got him arrested and when the show brought it up in season 3 she was portrayed as the victim

whatever drugs noah hawley started taking 5 years ago he really needs to stop

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

When did John Romero post about The Boys ?

it was shortly after he made me his bitch